• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 will require online connection to prevent cheating (same at GT:S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezquimacore

Banned
What's with the "tough guy" crap?

Like I said, its nothingburger. The only one rattled here is you, because I pointed out the irony of using an internet forum to moan about internet requirements!
Are you really so obtuse that you can't see it?

If there was a requirement for a subscription or some other paywall then I'd agree that its a drawback, but seriously, how many people are without any sort of reliable internet? Especially those who post here on the regular?

I'm sorry but if you have a problem with internet requirements why the fuck would you own a PS4 or PS5 in the first place? If you lack that facility your experience is crippled from the jump, so a game requiring that facility isn't the root of the "problem".
You can post here with an Obama phone, there's a lot of people with trash internet or limited data, or maybe they live in a country where the service is not reliable. Even US has some areas where the internet is trash. There are at least 10 scenarios of why people would have to play a single player mode without constant internet connection.

oldergamer

Oh ffs...

Like I get it cheaters suck... but an the expense of just letting it be played offline?

This is just dreadful, what's next are they going to be bringing back the one time code in the box to access multiplayer again?
It's not a great excuse, but it is what it is

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What's with the "tough guy" crap?

Like I said, its nothingburger. The only one rattled here is you, because I pointed out the irony of using an internet forum to moan about internet requirements!
Are you really so obtuse that you can't see it?

If there was a requirement for a subscription or some other paywall then I'd agree that its a drawback, but seriously, how many people are without any sort of reliable internet? Especially those who post here on the regular?

I'm sorry but if you have a problem with internet requirements why the fuck would you own a PS4 or PS5 in the first place? If you lack that facility your experience is crippled from the jump, so a game requiring that facility isn't the root of the "problem".
I am not remotely "rattled" by any silly requirement to check in for a single player game and especially not "rattled" by someone on some forum

Its just a dumb requirement and quite a silly comparison playing a single player game and surfing the web sorry you can't see that but its cool again we can agree to disagree

There's nothing sadder to me than a bunch of losers complaining about needing an internet connection in 2022.
It is not about requiring an internet connection. The point is that this is useless shit if you don’t intend to play multiplayer. It prevents you from saving your game (a basic thing since forever). If it isn’t a lazy design I don’t know what it is.

Naked Lunch

Very bad news - and there is no defense for it.

Try playing GT5 or GT6 today - so much content is un-accessible since they turned the servers off. Even this series' single player content essentially is a timebomb - some of your stuff will go away when the servers die. I lost entire replays and track variants forever in GT 6 in particular. Im still pissed off about that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You can post here with an Obama phone, there's a lot of people with trash internet or limited data, or maybe they live in a country where the service is not reliable. Even US has some areas where the internet is trash. There are at least 10 scenarios of why people would have to play a single player mode without constant internet connection.

Dude, if you don't have reliable internet:

1. You can't guarantee your PS4/PS5 firmware will be of a recent enough version to run the title.
2. You will have no access to any online functionality, a big part of the game's basic feature-set.
3. You will lose access to bug-fix patches and content updates/expansions.
4. You have no live-service options/direct community access which judging from GT Sport are going to heavily supported long-term.

Neither GT nor a Playstation is a good fit if you are unfortunate enough for internet access to be a consideration. Unfortunate definitely, but hardly a concern to the majority of the audience.

It is not about requiring an internet connection. The point is that this is useless shit if you don’t intend to play multiplayer. It prevents you from saving your game (a basic thing since forever). If it isn’t a lazy design I don’t know what it is.
Just hook the console up to the internet. Bam, your game is saved. Or just cry about it on the internet, whatever works for you.

JimboJones

What a load of bullshit. Even if preventing cheating in an offline mode is oh-so important to the devs, there are better ways to go about it. They could at least make all the game's content readily available in arcade if they're gonna pull this crap

490.jpg
SiDZ323.jpg

Just hook the console up to the internet. Bam, your game is saved. Or just cry about it on the internet, whatever works for you.
Liking or not it is a lazy design. So if you actually have a life (meaning you don’t have a lot of time to play) and are unlucky to have the internet connection down at said time you are saying that it is OK you won’t be able to save your progress? How much Sony is paying you to defend this bullshit?

PeteBull

For me personally offline save is essential, its so essential i didnt touch gt sports despite being longterm hardcore fan of the series back from og playstation days- that feeling of passing all licences to bronze and being able to join all races^^
Now if i dont get option to save single player campaign offline i will wait patiently till i get such option from hopefully pc port, even tho it means its provided unofficially, wink wink, which results again like with gt sports- 0 money from me.

Liking or not it is a lazy design. So if you actually have a life (meaning you don’t have a lot of time to play) and are unlucky to have the internet connection down at said time you are saying that it is OK you won’t be able to save your progress? How much Sony is paying you to defend this bullshit?
I don't play any Sony games and couldn't care less about them. I'm just tired of seeing all these complaints about online requirements. There is a reason for it - if you cheat in the singleplayer it carries over to the multiplayer.

If you are some weird Luddite who doesn't want online video games, then just keep playing the PS2 or whatever. No one wants to hear about it, and it isn't going to change.

RevGaming

1. You can't guarantee your PS4/PS5 firmware will be of a recent enough version to run the title.
2. You will have no access to any online functionality, a big part of the game's basic feature-set.
4. You have no live-service options/direct community access which judging from GT Sport are going to heavily supported long-term.

Neither GT nor a Playstation is a good fit if you are unfortunate enough for internet access to be a consideration. Unfortunate definitely, but hardly a concern to the majority of the audience.

In my case, it's to future proof and it's about principle (not my actual situation). If the cloud becomes the only way to play games, I can still play gt7 on my ps5 updated and everything. There's no real reason for it to be online.

When publishers convince you that every single player game should be online, then they will convince you to be streaming only since the games are always online anyways, right? Then, since you don't really own the game because it's on the cloud, why not make it exclusive for this service and you will forever pay otherwise get out of gaming. That principle part is more important than anything. Idc if I have internet. It shouldn't be online.

Last edited:

daffyduck

Neither GT nor a PlayStation is a good fit if you are unfortunate enough for internet access to be a consideration. Unfortunate definitely, but hardly a concern to the majority of the audience.
1. Occasional updates are a separate issue.
2. For single player; and?
3. Occasional updates are a separate issue.
4. For single player; and?

GT may not be a good fit, but a Playstation console is still ok, at least until this nonsense proliferates.
And you mean, hardly a concern *for you*.

clem84

Gold Member
Completely bullshit reasoning. Im sure other devs will copy it.
If someone wants to hack their own save and cheat their way through the campaign, it's their problem. It is absolutely bullshit reasoning. Besides, since when are PS5 game saves that easy to hack?

sn0man

I don't play any Sony games and couldn't care less about them. I'm just tired of seeing all these complaints about online requirements. There is a reason for it - if you cheat in the singleplayer it carries over to the multiplayer.

If you are some weird Luddite who doesn't want online video games, then just keep playing the PS2 or whatever. No one wants to hear about it, and it isn't going to change.
But you came into this subforum that is focused only on GT7 campaign having an online requirement. What did you expect? There are like 3 other GT7 threads for folks like you.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And you mean, hardly a concern *for you*.

And 99.9% of the PS userbase. Which is the important part.

And I'm sorry but potentially pulling down gigs of patch/expansion data strikes me as being way more stressful in terms of connection and bandwidth requirements than maintaining small scale intermittent data transactions like save-updating!

Your argument is thin to the point of transparency and to me seems more rhetorical/ideological in nature than borne out of actual practical concern. Which is why you and people sharing your perspective continually double-down in the face of me pointing out far more impactful issues that also arise out of requirements for online connectivity both at system and product level.

You have no substantive riposte other than to repeatedly harp on about the same hypothetical problem for the same hypothetical minority of the audience like its the most important thing in the world.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I bet if Sony made an “offline only mode” where you have a separate save file that can only be used offline, nobody would touch it, including all the whiners in this thread.

sn0man

They should at least have a system in place that when the severs go offline that there's a patch ready for it to be completely playable offline. All games like this should have it, for preservation purposes.
1000% thank you.
I'll skip the game, even tho i loved most of what they have shown. Like some have mentioned, they had other ways to go around dealing with cheaters, i wont give money for a single player game that will be basically unplayable when servers go down.
I’m taking a wait for $10 approach. The game has value but maybe it’ll be on steam in 3 years and I can dip in then.
Yeah I get it, its ok when SONY does it
Definitely not.
The game is better for it. Sorry folks.
Arguably folks like myself that both are okay with some online features but are not okay with forced and required online for single player won’t be participating. Those time trial times and liveries won’t be available.
Further the game will sell less copies.

Could be worse too.
Plenty of great PS4 games don’t force internet to play save and enjoy. I’ve heard similar for PS5. GT7 is just a lost opportunity. There is other stuff to play.

sn0man

I bet if Sony made an “offline only mode” where you have a separate save file that can only be used offline, nobody would touch it, including all the whiners in this thread.
I think that’s an error. There are at least a few in this very thread saying they care and they are passing on GT7.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I despite people cheating online, but single player has nothing to do with it.

People have to be punished because online players cheat? This is not single player experience to me.
I dont know anything about hacking or mods, but I'm assuming the thinking is if they allow offline SP saves, clever hackers will find a way to mod the game and then affect online matches with a god mode car.

So to play safe, Sony is requiring all single and online profiles on their servers.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I dont know anything about hacking or mods, but I'm assuming the thinking is if they allow offline SP saves, clever hackers will find a way to mod the game and then affect online matches with a god mode car.

So to play safe, Sony is requiring all single and online profiles on their servers.

Can't they do 2 differents saves? One for singleplayer and one for multiplayer? Whatever the crap a person do on single, assuming its cheating, will not reflect on online because your singleplayer progress doesn't count for multiplayer.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Racing culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with live service games where you can become successful by requiring an internet connection. If you screw someone over in the racing world, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the racing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GT7 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and let us play GT7 offline or you can kiss your business goodbye.

SLB1904

Banned
I think that’s an error. There are at least a few in this very thread saying they care and they are passing on GT7.
anyone interested in this game knew this ages ago it isn't new info, they are passing on it because that was their intention in the first place.

daffyduck

And 99.9% of the PS userbase. Which is the important part.

And I'm sorry but potentially pulling down gigs of patch/expansion data strikes me as being way more stressful in terms of connection and bandwidth requirements than maintaining small scale intermittent data transactions like save-updating!

Your argument is thin to the point of transparency and to me seems more rhetorical/ideological in nature than borne out of actual practical concern. Which is why you and people sharing your perspective continually double-down in the face of me pointing out far more impactful issues that also arise out of requirements for online connectivity both at system and product level.

You have no substantive riposte other than to repeatedly harp on about the same hypothetical problem for the same hypothetical minority of the audience like its the most important thing in the world.
1. According to you.
2. You've been "struck" wrong. I can connect and download game and firmware updates as needed. That is *not* equivalent to being tethered.
3. The (actual) irony of you accusing someone else of rhetoric.
4. You have nothing substantive than to harp on about how it's not a problem for you, and that you speak for the majority.

You don't mind it, it's not a problem for you? Great, hypothesize as much as you want.

It is not acceptable for me.

PCH

Neo Member
People all coming with excuses for this idiotic save requirements. For shame. We all know why it is introduced, because who cares if someone get their credits legit or not or pass the GT license in legit ways. Does that take away someone else fun from a game in both multi or single?
I bet all they want is to sell you their "credit packs" for 100$ and having offline save that you can edit these-takes away Sony profit. It is funny that that kind of cheating in online games is fine when you buy mxt, but not ok when done by save edit.
It stupid that anyone should dictate you how and in what way you should have fun. Even worse, people defend idiotic principle of gaming company profit being most important thing we should look for in video games.

Beechos

Not everything is for everyone. Im sure theres also pros for people who live in rural areas that people in big cities dont have. But of course if something doesnt fit someones agenda nowadays all we do is complain and cry about it.

Last edited:

sn0man

anyone interested in this game knew this ages ago it isn't new info, they are passing on it because that was their intention in the first place.
We knew sometime last summer if I recall correctly. Many in this thread hoped, foolishly I admit, that Polyphony would hear our request and respond. Just looking for more ways to play that encourage more folks.

The game will be fine and successful I assume. No concern but this seems to be the thread where those that care can commiserate.

Voicing our displeasure on the cbomb issue had a happy ending that all PlayStation owners may benefit from. Hopefully someday Polyphony follows suit.

NickFire

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Racing culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with live service games where you can become successful by requiring an internet connection. If you screw someone over in the racing world, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the racing public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase GT7 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Sony’s games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and let us play GT7 offline or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Pretty much every person who loves racing games and has a PS5 will be buying this at some point I bet. Probably same on PS4 for those who don't have PS5. You know it, I know it, we all know it.

Larxia

I used to hate this, but honestly I'm so fed up with cheating that I actually kind of accept this now. Especially for leaderboard cheating.

For example, I play DJMAX on PC, it's a rhythme game, so naturally with a big focus on scoring. It has online only, to prevent cheating, and I can't tell you how good it feels to be able to browse leaderboards, best scores on each songs, rankings etc, with no cheat at all, I mean it sounds super basic but it's something that usually doesn't exist anymore, so it really feels amazing. Leaderboard cheating is the type of cheating I hate the most, because as someone really into arcade / scoring games, cheats in leaderboard will instantly ruin the potential long term scoring of the game, it ruins the whole potential, it's so sad and frustrating...

But I totally can see the problems with online only, if the servers close one day, the game will be rendered unplayable, which is obviously terrible too.
I think a good alternative would be like what some publishers do with denuvo, removing it at some point. Keep it online only to prevent cheating, but when you do decide to close the server, update the game one last time to make it playable offline, for preservation.

JLB

Banned
Gaming community evolved from considering things like this a total abomination, and herecy (remember the old good #ps4nodrm days?) to be totallly fine.

ZywyPL

Banned
So when one day PD shuts down the servers just like they did with GT5 and GT6 you're left with nothing, all your career progress will be lost?

Should've just completely seperate the MP and let people play the carrier completely offline.

Guilty_AI

I used to hate this, but honestly I'm so fed up with cheating that I actually kind of accept this now. Especially for leaderboard cheating.
Except they can prevent this without having to force the game to be tethered to the internet.
In fact, being online only won't necessarely stop cheating either.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The irony is the amount of people complaining about this and the amount of people that are okay with a subscription/cloud/digital only future for gaming.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. The hypocrisy is off the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom