• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT7 will require online connection to prevent cheating (same at GT:S)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles708

Nothing happens. You continue on with the race. Your save remains until you get to the menu and if you connect again it syncs to the online one and even still gives you your daily car reward.

You cannot start another race that requires a save until you connect. You can still play all the offline arcade modes with all the cars you've earned from the local save.

It's not that draconian, it only prevents save progression when not online because the Cr and car garage is shared between multiplayer and singleplayer and I think because they still want you to grind or pay and not cheat, even if you're not an online player.

I'm failing to see how that's not a draconian system to be quite honest.
Again, unlocking things is not something new, we're reinventing the wheel just to put roadblocks on hypothetical problems with no benefit at all.
I fail to believe there is no other way to prevent cheating on the multiplayer portion than completely disregarding offline saving for the offline mode. That's an engineering failure.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Not the PC is the problem. You can cheat on PS4 (hacked consoles). So far I don't think there will be a PC version.

But this is really ridicules. Let them cheat in single player as they want. This shouldn't be their business. Just try to get cheaters away from the multiplayer-mode.
If it’s specifically about altered save files, it’s not a hacked console thing. Sony doesn’t like save wizard.

MHW has a save file integrity check when you go online and will not allow online play if the save has invalid items on it, seems like an ok option.

Three

I'm failing to see how that's not a draconian system to be quite honest.
Again, unlocking things is not something new, we're reinventing the wheel just to put roadblocks on hypothetical problems with no benefit at all.
I fail to believe there is no other way to prevent cheating on the multiplayer portion than completely disregarding offline saving for the offline mode. That's an engineering failure.
As I said, I don't think it's solely to prevent cheating in the online mode. It's likely to prevent cheating to get garage cars even in the offline mode due to the Cr and bought cars system. Otherwise grinding Cr and paying for cars become worthless with hacks.

Last edited:

Miles708

That's easy. Get a Dolorean and go back to the 90's. Still can't believe this is an issue?
Have any of you tried gaf offline?
Gaf is a website, not an offline game.
This is more similar to your dishwasher not working without internet connection.

As I said, I don't think it's solely to prevent cheating in the online mode. It's likely to prevent cheating to get garage cars even in the offline mode due to the Cr and bought cars system. Otherwise grinding Cr and paying for cars become worthless with hacks.
I get the problem, but the adopted solution is such a laughable overcompensating mess. An online check upon connecting to the internet should be more than enough.
Assuming that's the real reason for this, which is another matter.

daclynk

That's easy. Get a Dolorean and go back to the 90's. Still can't believe this is an issue?
Have any of you tried gaf offline?
well im in a developing country where internet is very expensive. hmmm looks like i cant play.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

all i want to know is i can play the game without connecting it online. like single player offline and still enjoy the game fully.
You can, just can't save your progress. so when the servers eventually go offline in the future, you can't realistically play your game, unless you leave the console on forever, running the same game so you dont lose your progress.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Everyone saying this is fine and what's the issue.

The issue will be with too many people trying to connect and Sony's hamsters in their server wheels dying of exhaustion and nobody being able to connect and play.

daclynk

You can, just can't save your progress. so when the servers eventually go offline in the future, you can't realistically play your game, unless you leave the console on forever, running the same game so you dont lose your progress.
they should atleast give me options to save game on system with needing a cloud save. hmmmmm

Quezacolt

they should atleast give me options to save game on system with needing a cloud save. hmmmmm
Too much work. we are talking about a studio that reused ps2 models for most cars in the first GT for ps3, and only new models for the special cars. it looked awful

This is something even easier to handle, and they just dont care

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
FatherlySelfreliantFlatcoatretriever-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I guess they don't want to go through all the trouble of having 2 profiles and two separate garages (how would this even work?) just to accommodate save file hackers.
It would work the same way countless other games with multiple profiles and save files work.

And this isn't to accommodate save file hackers, its to accommodate people who don't want to be tethered to the internet.

I am not affected by this, I'm always online anyway. Even when I'm just logging on the PS5 system or just putting on game menu music, i am constantly connected to the web but then again, I never cheat.

Last edited:

Three

It would work the same way countless other games with multiple profiles and save files work.

And this isn't to accommodate save file hackers, its to accommodate people who don't want to be tethered to the internet.

I get that but your idea to split garages/profiles is worse trying to think how it will work. It would mean the cars I've earned cannot be used in multiplayer and I've got to somehow earn the cars again in the multiplayer. How? by having another Cr wallet and buying them all twice? Not to mention having to recreate liveries. No thanks.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I get that but your idea to split garages/profiles is worse trying to think how it will work. It would mean the cars I've earned cannot be used in multiplayer and I've got to somehow earn the cars again in the multiplayer. How? by having another Cr wallet and buying them all twice? Not to mention having to recreate liveries. No thanks.
Thats not it. When starting the game you can create new profiles and get to choose whether that profile will be online or offline.

-If you make an online profile, you get the game as is being described, with save files in the GT server and having to go online even for singleplayer content, just the "uncomplicated" way you want it
-If you make an offline profile, the save files will be local and you'll get access to all the single player content, but will be barred from most or all strictly online features such as leaderboards and online racing. Maybe at best leave things such as community made liveries or tuning options.

And naturally, an online profile will never be able to be changed to offline and vice-versa. Thats how it was with TDU 16 years ago and worked just fine.

Last edited:

Three

Thats not it. When starting the game you can create new profiles and get to choose whether that profile will be online or offline.

-If you make an online profile, you get the game as is being described, with save files in the GT server and having to go online even for singleplayer content, just the "uncomplicated" way you want it
-If you make an offline profile, the save files will be local and you'll get access to all the single player content, but will be barred from most or all strictly online features such as leaderboards and online racing. Maybe at best leave things such as community made liveries or tuning options.

And naturally, an online profile will never be able to be changed to offline and vice-versa. Thats how it was with TDU 16 years ago and worked just fine.
That would kind of suck to be honest where to be able to play offline I would never be able to play online ever again otherwise I would lose all progress.

Guilty_AI

That would kind of suck to be honest where to be able to play offline I would never be able to play online ever again otherwise I would lose all progress.
If you care so much about online, then make an online from the get go and you'll get the game exactly as its being described rn by the devs. Problem solved.

And no, you wouldn't lose any progress, you'd just have a different profile with a different progress.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Does anybody knows whether the game will "kick" you out of the game if you disconnect? or you just cant save? sorta like Hitman 3?

Im really interested in this but im concern about the always online feature.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't understand how can you cheat in enclosed piece of software? Is it have a holes, which are too hard to fix, so this solution is easier? I know this game is competitive on high level, but for people who just want to drive in single player, this seems too severe. Don't get me wrong I am connected pretty much all the time, but it still seems strange.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Forza Horizon 5 certainly didn't. Driving with friends was near impossible in the first 2 weeks. This was due load but also due bugs.

Yeah but as you said down to bugs. It’s a rarity that online games have server overload day one these days

Guilty_AI

I don't understand how can you cheat in enclosed piece of software? Is it have a holes, which are too hard to fix, so this solution is easier? I know this game is competitive on high level, but for people who just want to drive in single player, this seems too severe. Don't get me wrong I am connected pretty much all the time, but it still seems strange.
They probably just care too much about their partnership with FIA to take even the smallest of risks.

Markio128

It is a valid complain imo.
But I don't think it will change anything... GTS didn't change.
I didn’t say it wasn’t a valid complaint. However, PD haven’t tried to hide this fact, therefore, everyone can make an informed decision on whether they buy the game or not. It doesn’t matter what the reasons are - that’s just fanboy fodder.

Fbh

Is this just a check in the background that you can do with any shitty connection?
Or is it like Diablo 3 on PC (at least at launch) were you have to deal with lag while playing single player?

SLB1904

Banned
I didn’t say it wasn’t a valid complaint. However, PD haven’t tried to hide this fact, therefore, everyone can make an informed decision on whether they buy the game or not. It doesn’t matter what the reasons are - that’s just fanboy fodder.
we know that since the anouncement

Three

Is this just a check in the background that you can do with any shitty connection?
Or is it like Diablo 3 on PC (at least at launch) were you have to deal with lag while playing single player?
Its only once at the main menu. It isn't a constant connection.

Three

If you care so much about online, then make an online from the get go and you'll get the game exactly as its being described rn by the devs. Problem solved.

And no, you wouldn't lose any progress, you'd just have a different profile with a different progress.

I don't get this, how would I not lose progress? From what I understand your solution is to have online checks with an online only profile and if I happen to want to go offline and play I start from zero on a new profile. How am I not losing progress?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't get this, how would I not lose progress? From what I understand your solution is to have online checks with an online only profile and if I happen to want to go offline and play I start from zero on a new profile. How am I not losing progress?
You don't lose progress because your online profile would still exist and you'd be able to go back to it whenever you want. Besides, being able to start from zero on a new offline profile is still better than not being able to do it at all.

And also, your online profile would in theory work exactly like the game already does. Since you don't seem to mind the online connection, you in particurlar would have no reason to make an offline profile in the first place.

The saves are online. At launch on GT Sport you needed to stay connected all the time even during SP campaign races but they patched it out. Now you need to go online to save your progress.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm torn, they are fully working the FOMO angle, but for me GT is all about the single player and spending big money on a wheel set every couple of generations, which I was ready to do again this gen.

If I can't own the game because they've locked the single player campaign behind GaaS, why would I (or anyone) invest in a dedicated wheelset -that will be dead with their online servers? £70 for an unlock key to a GaaS probably won't work for me.

If they are worried about single player cheating affecting MP, hopefully they'll ironically do a fully offline cheaters edition of the game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Playstation fans , “cloud gaming won’t work because online infrastructure still sucks and expensive especially in 3rd world countries"

Also Playstation fans, “well most people has online now so no problem. Totally fine”

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Nothing happens. You continue on with the race. Your save remains until you get to the menu and if you connect again it syncs to the online one and even still gives you your daily car reward.

You cannot start another race that requires a save until you connect. You can still play all the offline arcade modes with all the cars you've earned from the local save.

It's not that draconian, it only prevents save progression when not online because the Cr and car garage is shared between multiplayer and singleplayer and I think because they still want you to grind or pay and not cheat, even if you're not an online player.
Thanks for the input. Not as bad as i imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom