• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growing up with game music

Jeeves

I've always had a weird relationship to the world of music in general, in that I've always felt that the way I appreciate it is fundamentally different from how I see most others enjoying music. Not saying it's better or worse, just different.

I think it's because video games, particularly older ones, were my vector into enjoying listening to music on its own. I played a lot of games as a kid and wasn't much exposed to the radio or what anyone else was listening to, so I gravitated towards what I knew and took to listening to fan-made MIDIs (because the file sizes were small enough to comfortably play/download on dialup) and later, mp3s of fan remixes.

Retro game music was made under a unique set of demands. I'm no expert on the subject so this example is completely ad-libbed and not factually correct but it should get the point across:

Imagine you're a musician with a limited selection of virtual instruments at your disposal, and any song you write can only include six of them. Worse, no more than two of those instruments can sound at any one time in a song, and the instruments themselves have a narrow range. The instruments do not sound good in a vacuum. Under these conditions you're tasked with creating dozens of songs that are meant to be heard over and over for hours on end. In many of these games there's not always a lot to look at, so audio might be one of the foremost elements that the game will use to express itself. Imagine trying to create good music like that. You would have to write it very deliberately, and put thought into the usage and placement of each note. I have tremendous respect for composers who were able to thrive under those kinds of limitations.

Growing up with music like that, I think my priorities in listening to music were affected. Though I listen to a wider range of music now, game music has left its mark on me. I'm not as concerned with the singing -- and especially not the message of the lyrics -- as I am with how the actual music is put together and what sorts of feelings it can evoke. If the singer is not also the songwriter, I'm more interested in knowing who wrote the music. Maybe I'm not as different as I think, but it always feels like I'm listening to music through a different lens.

Has game music affected your perception and enjoyment of the wider medium of music? I'd like to hear about it. Also feel free to share any favorite songs or soundtracks.

Ballthyrm

Here is the thing. Most of everyone's musical taste is built between the ages of 12 and 22.
If that means you grew up during the chip-tunes era, that's what you will like.

Sure you can keep an open mind but you will always have affection with what you grew up with.
This guy wrote a whole book about it.

Well, 80 percent of the music that I continue to listen to comes from video games both old and new. The rest pretty much comes from movies. It's another reason why it's fun to replay or discover older games I missed because no matter its age, the music often very much fits the atmosphere (e.g. the original Deus Ex). I would say the aquatic theme from the level Coral Capers early on in Donkey Kong Country was the first piece of music from my childhood that really resonated with me.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
As much as I love video games OST’s, it never affected my enjoyment of music in general. I enjoy music, I listen to everything apart from country music

One minute I’m playing a hip-hop song and the song after it can be Pantera or Dream Theater. Yes video games OST’s are my favourite but again, doesn’t affect my general music enjoyment because it shouldn’t honestly.

Last edited:

Thanati

Hah, I love this thread! :)

I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit era and loved the C64 loading music but, for me, I loved the Amiga music :)

“War, never been so much fun, war never been SO much fun!” :)

Myths

Just like Mista Mista said, one minute it’s R&B the next second it’s something out of Chrono Trigger. It’s never affected my appreciation, made it better if anything.

Jeeves

Right, I don't necessarily mean having it affect your taste as far as what sort of music you will or won't like to listen to. I just wondered if it affects what sort of thing you value in music, what you look for or how you think about it. Like I mentioned, I think it's made me put a lot more emphasis on listening to the musical composition of songs rather than following the lyrical progression of songs. Doesn't mean I don't like lyrics, but it's usually not what I'm focusing on when I listen to music. That's all I mean.

Grand Theft Scratchy Grand Theft Scratchy That song really gets me in the nostalgia too. DKC was the only SNES game I had for a while as a kid. Gotta love David Wise.

I'm not sure if game music affected me, or I simply liked the particular focus game music had. Game music usually fits a certain theme, like environments, action or calm, uplifting or sad. As a kid, those themes were easy to understand and relate to.

Isa

I don't know, I was fortunate to grow up exposed to a wide array of music. I attended my first ballet at like 4 y/o, and my love of Classical is deeply engrained. Videogame music is exceptionally powerful as well. Hell I try to explain to my gf the power and majesty that vg's can achieve in such a unique medium with FF7, and while trying to explain it to her I get all choked up over fictional stories, but often times its the music that pushes the envelope.

Its funny though, I'm a metalhead and probably wouldn't be here today if I hadn't discovered it. Music is powerful stuff man. It can do SO much. I do love the various eras of game music and bounce around depending on mood, maybe some Phantasy Star 4 for uplifting tunes, Sonic 2 and Knuckles with great writing, Quake 2 for good albeit simple riffs, PS era rpgs, Earthworm Jim fun, Hotline Miami 1&2 for igniting my love of 80's style synthwave(FarCry BloodDragon also gets a nod), Fallout and Bioshock for their respective ost's from their own timeframes which I enjoy putting on with some frequency. I generally dislike vocals in music and prefer quality and focus on songwriting. Also gotta shout out Nier: Automata and the MechWarrior 2 series.

I'll often put on Beneath the Mask instrumental from Persona 5 before I head to work. Oh Jesus, I remembered the Ending of the Battle from SotC. Good Lord.

Neff

Home computer music from back in the day led to my first instances of actively listening to music for my own pleasure, as opposed to merely enjoying whatever anyone else in my house was listening to. I recorded tons of C64 music to tape so I could play it back and listen to it any time without having to load up the games. I would eventually broaden my horizons and start seeking out 'mainstream' music in my late teens, but game and movie soundtracks are what got me started, and are still my listening material of choice.

I grew up with the 8-bit and 16-bit era and loved the C64 loading music but, for me, I loved the Amiga music :)

I can't look at the home computer era's games and say that many hold up, but the music from countless titles endures still.

Jeeves

Game music for the most part used to be heavily based on the styling of 80s music production.
That's an interesting tidbit, and I guess it makes sense since a lot of now-classic game music was written back then. I never thought to make that connection, but it just so happens that I love 80s music more than any other era of music, despite not growing up with it.

nowhat

I've said it before and I'll say it again - growing up, there were two major factors that got me into electronic music: Depeche Mode and Rob Hubbard.

And as much as I love DM, of the two I think Hubbard ultimately had more influence. I spent way more time listening to the Sanxion loader theme than actually playing the game.

I recorded tons of C64 music to tape so I could play it back and listen to it any time without having to load up the games.

Hah, I did this too!

Last edited:

Jeeves

I recorded tons of C64 music to tape so I could play it back and listen to it any time without having to load up the games.
Oh this just reminded me...when I was 9 or 10 the family computer was of course not in my room, so I would hold a tape recorder up to the speakers and record my own little playlist of MIDI arrangements so that I could listen to them in my room. Completely forgot about that, makes me feel old!

brian0057

Banned
Quake II was my heroine.
I played that shit with my little brother almost every day on a PSOne.
Man, those were the days.

Neff

I spent way more time listening to the Sanxion loader theme than actually playing the game.

Pretty much this.

I'm forever grateful to my adventurous side for taking a £1.99 gamble out of my school dinner money on Knuckle Busters despite it getting shite reviews. I mean it was shite, we all know it, but god damn what a soundtrack.

Jeeves

Last month I was revisiting the soundtrack for Link's Awakening, both the original and the remake, the latter of which I thought was wonderfully reverent of the original music while making tasteful additions. I'll be damned if I didn't get misty-eyed at the track I'm about to link.

Check out the first minute for my favorite example of emotion being wrung out of a primitive sound chip:

Always liked video game music, and my complete embracing of it (as something to listen to outside of gameplay) was probably when I took my PlayStation WipE'out" disc with me in my discman, and listened to it at school.

And yes, some of the music I heard in games actually made me curious about certain genres, and even artists. The genre Dark ambient, and the electronic act Fluke being two examples.

It was also nice to hear your favorite kind of music in games. I liked (and still like) Hardcore Techno, so games like Ridge Racer and Tempest 2000 were a blast to play. By the late 90s and early 2000s I listened to a lot of underground Hip-Hop, so Jet Set Radio was right up my alley around that time.

Last edited:

Soltype

That's an interesting tidbit, and I guess it makes sense since a lot of now-classic game music was written back then. I never thought to make that connection, but it just so happens that I love 80s music more than any other era of music, despite not growing up with it.
Yeah the 80's are my fave too, a lot of old VGM could have been used for more mainstream music given the right instrumentation.

Top Bottom