• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID Legends - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Digital Foundry Tech Review

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks like more and more devs who struggled with the series consoles at launch and early on are getting to grips with them now. Good to see, and great that all versions are more or less identical. Everyone gets a great experience.

good shit.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dirt 5 dropped to 900p on both XSX and PS5.
Don’t waste your time.

using some resolution that might be used for 1 or 2 frames while the engine balances itself to maintain 60fps as some war metric just goes to show how desperate some people have become.
surely you can’t actually see it in gameplay as you are racing? Unless for 1 or two frames when you change camera to a different view like chance or dash? And for what a couple of frames.

the war has become embarrassing. Haha

Last edited:
Isn’t the ps5 digital actually better value when you factor in storage and processing delta?
It is but can anyone actually find one it like the rarest console ever way more rare then the disc PS5
i actually got a order on the digital PS5 but then a week later they cancel my order for it and i still don't have a PS5 yet

Shmunter

He never said that it was better value than the PS5.
True, that would be crazytalk.

If a total tightass and looking for lowest cost just go with xone or ps4 since 99.9% of games are coming to the platforms…..sadly.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
True, that would be crazy
Deffo, if you have the money to buy a ps5 digital and you can actually find one as evidence is showing less than 10 percent of manufactured units are digital ps5s then its the best valued box if you don’t take into account cost prices for first party Sony games etc.

series s is tiny and cheaper and massively readily available so the sales are obviously heavily swaying to that box.

Leyasu

Banned
True, that would be crazytalk.

If a total tightass and looking for lowest cost just go with xone or ps4 since 99.9% of games are coming to the platforms…..sadly.
They will stop eventually. But the thought of 30hz slide shows should be enough to dissuade anyone from such folly

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Rift Apart in Performance RT already reached that mark. Check VGtech.

but but but, reasons!

haha, I played through the whole of ratchet in performance RT mode and it looked great. Ironic that its not the first game to hit this low a resolution DRS bounds and it being a Sony exclusive after the fans trying to spin it as a negative just makes it perfect!

Lysandros

'If' XSX has enough headroom to run the game at "slightly higher resolution" (again needs confirmation, no figures provided) during races why it needs to drop that much lower after the so called 'camera cuts'? What's going on, any theories?

sendit

- 60hz mode:
- PS5 scales from: 1296p to 2160p
- SX scales from: 1008p to 2160p.
- However SX enjoys higher dynamic resolution on average.
Kratos GIF by PlayStation

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
'If' XSX has enough headroom to run the game at "slightly higher resolution" (again needs confirmation, no figures provided) during races why it needs to drop that much lower after the so called 'camera cuts'? What's going on, any theories?

for this engine and the progress they have made since the launch title of Dirt 5 it could be anything. Potentially the frequency of the PS5 gpu allows a higher lower bounds to maintain the 60 fps when switching the camera. No idea tbh, just a suggestion.

The reality is no human is going to spot 2 frames out of 60 thats lower resolution when switching a camera, which who would actually switch a camera that often anyway?

The xbox is holding a higher resolution on average while actually playing the game which is a much more important metric.

Sega Orphan

Banned
Another title where the XSS version of the game performs significantly better than version on the most powerful console of last generation. To boast higher resolution and higher frame rates than the X1X is quite the feat for a $300 system. That is to say nothing about the X1, the system the XSS replaced, version of this game which isn't even in the conversation. It's great to see what is possible if a developer puts in some time on the XSS. Jason Ronald and his team deserve tons of credit for what is clearly the best value in gaming this generation. Kudos.
It would be a really good topic for a thread.
Comparing all the games on PS4 Pro and XSS as they have the same GPU tflop number, and a CPU with the same amount of cores.
It's really the best example of how RDNA 2 Compares to GCN.

Dodkrake

Banned
It would be a really good topic for a thread.
Comparing all the games on PS4 Pro and XSS as they have the same GPU tflop number, and a CPU with the same amount of cores.
It's really the best example of how RDNA 2 Compares to GCN.

You can't compare them, since the Series S has a proper CPU and the One X has a potato.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

it's dynamic resolution scaling.

You're having an awfully hard time with this lol.

Love the quotations on 'if' and 'so called' even when it's directly stated in the video lol.

Rift Apart in Performance RT already reached that mark. Check VGtech.

Friday Movie GIF

Last edited:

adamsapple

Really glad I grabbed this in the EA Xbox sale. It has 120 support AND Atmos!
facb6HF.jpg

And cheesey live action FMV.

A staple of a good time :D

I think the current record is The Medium, which can go as low as around 900p on a 12 Tflops machine but it's a 30 fps game. Unbelievable. I can't think of a worse optimized game than that.

Just to clarify, the medium drops to that low of a resolution when its doing a picture in picture mode for its dual worlds, you're seeing two 900p windows rendered with different worlds at the same time.

It's doing something unique at least.

PS5 resolution is dynamic 1296p-2160p. Series X is 1008p-2160p

*rubs eyeballs*

Not even a full 1080p on the X is a new record.

At least we know exactly which line of the summary you stopped reading at and didn't read the very next line lol.

Last edited:

Arioco

Just to clarify, the medium drops to that low of a resolution when its doing a picture in picture mode for its dual worlds, you're seeing two 900p windows rendered with different worlds at the same time.

Yes, yes, and It's been developed by a small studio with limited resources, but come on! I'm sure the can do better.

adamsapple

Same dude lied about the resolution of the Xbox One version of Dying Light 2, him saying it doesn't make it true.

I don't know if we should be calling it "lying". We've had numerous games where DF, NX, VGTech and other analysis have different results from each other. Doesn't make any of them liars.

For DL 2 I don't think NXgamer has done a last gen video, if he has I couldn't find one.

VGTech lists XBO resolution as 720p.
DF lists as 864p
This third analysis I found on Youtube also has 864p

I can't find any other source that compares metrics.

Mr Moose

I don't know if we should be calling it "lying". We've had numerous games where DF, NX, VGTech and other analysis have different results from each other. Doesn't make any of them liars.

For DL 2 I don't think NXgamer has done a last gen video, if he has I couldn't find one.

VGTech lists XBO resolution as 720p.
DF lists as 864p
This third analysis I found on Youtube also has 864p

I can't find any other source that compares metrics.
Did you just link a video from some rando who made a video after DFs? I wonder where they got those pixel counts from.
It's a fixed resolution, Oliver is lying.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Did you just link a video from some rando who made a video after DFs? I wonder where they got those pixel counts from.

If it had, the video would probably link it. That source looks like an independent person ala that elemenoppee channel.

There aren't any other videos on YT which compare last gen version with metrics.

Anyway, my point is we have seen VGTech, NXGamer and DF give different resolution metrics in their testing all to frequently. It's not uncommon and it doesn't mean one of them is deliberately lying for some reason.

The fact that the SX can have singular lower counts and still have a higher average isn't something that should blow peoples minds like this lol.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

If it had, the video would probably link it. That source looks like an independent person ala that elemenoppee channel.

There aren't any other videos on YT which compare last gen version with metrics.

Anyway, my point is we have seen VGTech, NXGamer and DF give different resolution metrics in their testing all to frequently. It's not uncommon and it doesn't mean one of them is deliberately lying for some reason.
It has a fixed resolution, there's no DRS they can hide behind. VGTech has corrected DF multiple times before (and they've thanked him for it). Oliver(?) is lying. Maybe they took the PS4 res and thought "yeah Xbox One looks about the same", but that doesn't matter, they lied about it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Oliver(?) is lying. Maybe they took the PS4 res and thought "yeah Xbox One looks about the same", but that doesn't matter, they lied about it.

But why would he need to lie lol, are you suggesting he's on the take from MS to make the XBO version look like its running 100p pixels more ?

Anyway, back to the topic.

Unless other sources do Grid Legends, this is the only comparison we have to go on for now.

DJ12

for this engine and the progress they have made since the launch title of Dirt 5 it could be anything. Potentially the frequency of the PS5 gpu allows a higher lower bounds to maintain the 60 fps when switching the camera. No idea tbh, just a suggestion.

The reality is no human is going to spot 2 frames out of 60 thats lower resolution when switching a camera, which who would actually switch a camera that often anyway?

The xbox is holding a higher resolution on average while actually playing the game which is a much more important metric.
I would wait for someone else's, like vgtech, before getting my panties in a bunch.

Oliver is probably wrong. He measured a lower res in assetto corrso when the ai crashed in the background and numerous more cars were in view with additional crashes happening.

He would not have been able to do a like for like comparison on that even if he tried.

Mr Moose

But why would he need to lie lol, are you suggesting he's on the take from MS to make the XBO version look like its running 100p pixels more ?
No, I don't think that. It could be due to laziness, counting pixels from one but not the other since the look similar or something else. Who knows? Lets call it being wrong rather than straight up lying (they shouldn't be stating things as facts though). Like blind ass Tom, he's wrong a lot.
How old is this game? Is it just the patch that's new or has the game just been ported to current gen machines?
You shouldn't call him a liar without evidence.
Presenting things as a fact when they are wrong. I'll call him wrong instead of a liar, if that's better.

Last edited:

adamsapple

How old is this game? Is it just the patch that's new or has the game just been ported to current gen machines?/

Are you talking about Grid Legends ?

It's a brand new game, DF just got around to it a bit late. It's been out since February actually.

To someone's point earlier, if it weren't for Oliver, DF wouldn't be covering anything besides Elden Ring and DF Directs all Feb/March.

It's good to have more people who do comparisons quicker.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Yup and the biggest detractors don't own the system and usually don't know what they are talking about
I thought some of the development community were/are the biggest detractors based on their public comments.

But to be honest the analysis videos are the biggest problem.. they don't do the system any favours when see or read about the poor resolution figures, missing features and modes when compared to its pre launch marketing promises. But that's another topic entirely.

Neo_game

It could very well be what Darsxx82 suggested on the last page, maybe the last gen versions weren't the priority for development, with the new gen being the primary focus.A

All new gen consoles run at what looks like 100% locked 60 FPS at high resolutions. Which is pretty damn good.

All their previous game using this engine performs and scale well on all platforms. Something is definitely wrong with this game or his analysis.

sn0man

Just wanted to pop in to say that this is a really fun game. It looks great, and they just dont make arcade racers like this like they used to. In a lot of ways, it takes me back to the glory days of the great xbox 360 arcade racers, like the original grid, project gotham, blur, split second, and ridge racer. Its the total opposite of gran turismo, and its more focused then forza horizon. Its 40 bones on xbox now, definitely worth your cash if you miss the hey days of arcade racing games
Any local split screen?

sn0man

Yup and the biggest detractors don't own the system and usually don't know what they are talking about. The XSS is perfectly fine for it's target audience and you can't get better performance for less money.
I’m a known detractor of Xbox and their online drm activations. That said if you were only going to do Xbox as a gamepass service I could see the XSS. They make sense together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom