• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green screen of death on rest mode PS5

RCU005

I don't know how common this issue is, but I've had it several times already in this year that I've had my PS5. The first game that it happened was A Plague Tale: Innocence when it was given for free on PS+.

For those who don't know, the GSOD happens when you put the PS5 in rest mode, but instead of going into rest mode, the screen goes green and the PS5 turns off as if the power was cut off. When turning the PS5 on again, you have to do it with the button on the console and it beeps 3 times as when you do an improper shut down.

After several times that this has happened to me, I've come to the conclusion that this happens because the PS5 hasn't finished whatever process before putting the console in rest mode. Every single time that it has happened to me, it has been because I put the console on rest mode right after I quit the game. Like immediately.

I know that in PS4 and PS5, the fans keep spinning even after putting the console into rest mode for several minutes until they turn off (they are also turned on while in rest mode, but that's another thing), but the PS5 seems to do something when quitting a game, that when interrupted the green screen happens. I've made myself an habit of waiting several seconds or a minute before putting the PS5 to rest mode, and I haven't had the issue. Today, however, I did it immediately after I quit the game, and it happened again.

I haven't used the rest mode while in game with the PS5 except for one time that I got a call, and forgot I left the PS5 on, and went into rest mode by itself while the game was running and it didn't have any issue when I came back. I don't know if there would be an issue if I put the console in rest mode while doing something intensive in the game.

After all, I don't know if this could be fixable via a system update, or it's a hardware issue. The fact that it happens (at least for me) only when quitting a game and putting the PS5 into rest mode immediately, seems to me that it is fixable. If it is a process that it's been interrupted, maybe the Ps5 should wait until it finished to get into rest mode, or make it able to finish it while in rest mode.

I really don't know what it is, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet, except people asking for help because it happened to them, but no one has actually talked about it in detail.

Has this happened to you? How did it happen?

Jaybe

Real question here (not trying to be a prick), does Sony have a customer service or tech support site or contact to report this stuff to? If it is rare like this it’s more likely they have seen it reported than general Internet forums. At least your ticket may help with the resolution knowledge base or prioritizing a fix. If they don’t have a vechicle for this, then that’s not good.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Real question here (not trying to be a prick), does Sony have a customer service or tech support site or contact to report this stuff to? If it is rare like this it’s more likely they have seen it reported than general Internet forums. At least your ticket may help with the resolution knowledge base or prioritizing a fix. If they don’t have a vechicle for this, then that’s not good.
I think the only way is to submit a ticket, or just go for a warranty replacement.

Playstation customer service support is ass imo, especially you are located outside of US.

RCU005

Playstation customer service support is ass imo, especially you are located outside of US.

Yeah, First time it happened I called them and didn't even know what to do. They just told me to turn off the console, unplug it and wait few minutes before turning it on again.

I wanna see how it's set up in your living area before I even start to comment.
Something like this. Just imagine the flowers are the PS5. I have it horizontally.

Edit: Didn't realize there's a PS4 in the picture, but no, my setup is just the PS5 on top where the flowers are. And actually my PS4 is where the pinecones are.

rennick-tv-stand-for-tvs-up-to-60.jpg

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, First time it happened I called them and didn't even know what to do. They just told me to turn off the console, unplug it and wait few minutes before turning it on again.
Because they work off a script and if this isn’t a common issue they don’t have a solution on their script. I remember when a PS4 FW after TLOU bricked consoles. When I called they didn’t have a solution for like 2 days after it happened because their script had to be updated with the official wording to tell people on the phone.

Rodolink

why quit the game though? i just put in rest mode with the game on.
although a similar issue happened to me whenever rest mode lasted for more than two days, it got stuck. now i just turn it off if I'm not using it the next day.
shitty thing a basic feature doesn't work properly.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
If it doesnt bother you much, perhaps you stop using rest mode for now and go for replacement warranty latersince theres not enough supply of PS5.

Elog

My bet is that this is due to a surge protector of some sort. Do you know if you have one installed?

Banned
I legit don't get why people use rest mode on any console...

maybe that's why I never got this. rest mode always has potential issues on any console, even the Switch, which actively fights against being turned off, should be turned off completely from time to time to avoid performance degradation in games.

rest mode, standby, instant on or whatever your console of choice calls it, should he avoided at all cost!

Tommi84

sometimes it says I didn't shut down properly and needs to scan for errors.
I have in like 8 out of 10 shutdowns. I understand the SSD I have is a shitty one, but I heard only good things about this enclosure:

get sony to replace the console. it might be fixable with software. i remember PS4 having loads of issues in the first year or so that were eventually patched. but you don't really want to be sitting about waiting to see if it goes away. best get a replacement console.

Last edited:

Elog

get sony to replace the console. it might be fixable with software. i remember PS4 having loads of issues in the first year or so that were eventually patched. but you don't really want to be sitting about waiting to see if it goes away. best get a replacement console.
Check first if you have a power surge device. It is a known problem with some power surge devices that they are triggered by the large change in current when the PS5 goes from normal mode to stand-by, i.e. the power surge protection circuit wrongfully identifies the change in current as a surge and cuts power for X microseconds - this flatlines the console that consequently shuts down and is restarted as if power has been cut (and this is actually 100% true).

Based on the description in the OP I am fairly certain that he has one between socket and the PS5 or as part of his fixed installation in his house/apartment.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I don't know how common this issue is, but I've had it several times already in this year that I've had my PS5. The first game that it happened was A Plague Tale: Innocence when it was given for free on PS+.

For those who don't know, the GSOD happens when you put the PS5 in rest mode, but instead of going into rest mode, the screen goes green and the PS5 turns off as if the power was cut off. When turning the PS5 on again, you have to do it with the button on the console and it beeps 3 times as when you do an improper shut down.

After several times that this has happened to me, I've come to the conclusion that this happens because the PS5 hasn't finished whatever process before putting the console in rest mode. Every single time that it has happened to me, it has been because I put the console on rest mode right after I quit the game. Like immediately.

I know that in PS4 and PS5, the fans keep spinning even after putting the console into rest mode for several minutes until they turn off (they are also turned on while in rest mode, but that's another thing), but the PS5 seems to do something when quitting a game, that when interrupted the green screen happens. I've made myself an habit of waiting several seconds or a minute before putting the PS5 to rest mode, and I haven't had the issue. Today, however, I did it immediately after I quit the game, and it happened again.

I haven't used the rest mode while in game with the PS5 except for one time that I got a call, and forgot I left the PS5 on, and went into rest mode by itself while the game was running and it didn't have any issue when I came back. I don't know if there would be an issue if I put the console in rest mode while doing something intensive in the game.

After all, I don't know if this could be fixable via a system update, or it's a hardware issue. The fact that it happens (at least for me) only when quitting a game and putting the PS5 into rest mode immediately, seems to me that it is fixable. If it is a process that it's been interrupted, maybe the Ps5 should wait until it finished to get into rest mode, or make it able to finish it while in rest mode.

I really don't know what it is, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet, except people asking for help because it happened to them, but no one has actually talked about it in detail.

Has this happened to you? How did it happen?
Here is the problem, my fans turn off as soon as I quite the game . They don’t go for several or even 1 minute after I shut down the game.
And knock on wood but this never happens to me.

retsof624

I've had my PS5 since April and I still have issues with rest mode from time to time. Console just shuts off completely sometimes when I put it in rest mode. Either that or the console will freeze up when waking up from rest mode and will sit on a black screen for almost a minute.

Imtjnotu

Ibh
The only problem I have with rest mode is with the shitty external HDD, sometimes it says I didn't shut down properly and needs to scan for errors.
Ave this issue atleast once a month.

Other issue is when turning it on while in rest mode, the PS5 turns on but the screen on that input remains black

In my experience, having owned the PS5 since launch last November, I can confidently say that the console is still buggy to the point where I wonder if I'm still beta testing it.

I've had numerous games - PS4 ones installed to an external 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD and PS5 ones installed to the internal and (now) expansion SSDs - just crash, resulting in an error report being generated, that can often take several infuriating minutes to complete then the system rudely announces that the external SSD was not removed properly and has to do a database rebuild at which point I can use the console again. What baffles me though is that even when a PS5 games crashes, remember these games are installed only on the internal storage, the console will still report that the external drive was not removed properly!!!

Admittedly, this does not happen often enough that the console appears to be faulty. It's usually once or twice a month, but it is still an annoyance. I have never experienced this kind of irritation on the Xbox. I'm not saying games don't crash on my Xbox One X, they do (although far less often than on PS4 or PS5 in my experience), but the process of restarting is less intrusive and the console isn't so keen to blame the storage for its own buggy operating system or whatever (which I think is the real problem with the PS5).

RoboFu

One of the green rats

maybe that's why I never got this. rest mode always has potential issues on any console, even the Switch, which actively fights against being turned off, should be turned off completely from time to time to avoid performance degradation in games.

rest mode, standby, instant on or whatever your console of choice calls it, should he avoided at all cost!
I always use test mode and have never had this.

Chukhopops

Ibh

Ave this issue atleast once a month.

Other issue is when turning it on while in rest mode, the PS5 turns on but the screen on that input remains black
Yeah same here, maybe 1/3 of the time I start the console and it tells me it restarted during rest mode and to send an error report. To be fair I don’t use it much those days so it stays a long time in rest mode.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As Elog said above worth trying the circuit breaker suggestion. I've never heard of this possible solution before but before sending in for repairs might as well give it a go.

I've been lucky in life where the stuff I buy lasts, but did get burned buying a big TV once and it black screen bombed in year one. Had to get it fixed under warranty. It had pick up and drop off service too so they did the work. Screen blacks out and red blinking lights signify a certain issue. Funny thing is people on YT would show you how to fix it, but no way I'm opening up a TV and messing with the circuit boards etc... LOL. The guys on YT make it look so easy.

Last edited:

Tschumi

So what you're calling the green screen of death is just a crash?

Why don't i just call my next meal a "mass protein consumption event"?

Swift_Star

Banned

Source? This all sounds like BS.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do at times put my PS5 into rest mode right after quitting a game (because I need to charge my controller), but maybe not IMMEDIATELY. Like a few seconds after. Never had an issue. How does this green screen actually look? Is it the PS5 producing a green screen, or is this something your TV does after losing signal?

Unfortunately I would say this sounds like a hardware issue with your PS5. Would be more widespread otherwise.

Ive had this console for almost a year and ive still never used rest mode….seems like a big risk

I use it all the time, I have had exactly zero issues.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im sure rest mode is fine but i never use it for my PS5. Its really not a big deal for me to power it on and off each time.

I'm convinced rest mode killed my PS4 Pro years back. Had it plugged in a surge protector like all my devices and in rest mode and there was power issues at my place where the power flickered on and off several times for 15 seconds. I went to play my PS4 Pro later that night and noticed the console didnt have the yellow light on which indicated it was in rest mode. I powered it on, and it immediately died. Would never turn back on. I'm convinced those surges fried the power supply. If i had it totally off it would've been fine. Ever since then after i got my repaired PS4 Pro back, all the way until now with my PS5, no rest mode for me.

I use rest mode pretty much all the time, first with the ps4/pro and now with the 5. I can't even remember the last time I actually powered down my ps5.
I dunno, I've never experienced any issues but I've seen plenty posted online so I don't doubt they occur.

darthkarki

Yep, had a very similar issue. Got my PS5 at launch and from day one, every time I put it in rest mode while a PS5 game was running, it would green screen crash. Rest/suspend mode worked just fine with PS4 games from an external drive. Tried factory reset, did not help. Eventually sent it in for repair which was just the worst experience ever, but I've had it back for a few weeks now and have had no issues of any kind.

It's quite obvious why: it's faster to get back into your game, you resume exactly where you were, and the system can download games and updates in the background. The benefits are not insignificant.

This is foolish. Using any console at all has "potential issues", but in general, they should and do perform as expected. I've used rest/suspend mode on PS4, PS4 Pro, multiple Switches, and 3DS 24/7 for years and have never had a single issue with any of those systems. Rest mode issues are the exception, not the norm, no different than a game crashing.

crozier

I disabled rest mode after it forced me to wipe my harddrive after crashing while playing Titan Quest. Don’t miss it one bit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I disabled rest mode after it forced me to wipe my harddrive after crashing while playing Titan Quest. Don’t miss it one bit.

Your PS5 has a hard drive? You're sure it's not a PS4, and that's why it's crashing when you're trying to play PS5 games on it?

Edit: I guess Titan Quest is not a PS5 game. Joke failed.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks! I've only been using rest mode for Returnal, and now that Returnal as a save state, I don't use rest mode anymore. I haven't really seen the need to use rest mode unless I wanna do remote play or a Returnal situation arises. Seems like it causes more issues than it's worth.

saintjules

I love rest mode, I never have issues. Sorry to hear some people having trouble, that really sucks, rest mode is an awesome feature to get back into the game in 5 seconds. Currently using it with outer worlds and works great.

makaveli60

Hearing stories like this, I never dared to put my ps5 into rest mode since having it from launch. At least it boots quickly so I can live it it but I hope they will make it work properly soon

Top Bottom