• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games are double edged swords.

kikkis

I have bit of an hate and love relationship with cod mw 2019. Before double dipping on it for xbox, I didn't play my xbox a whole lot despite having few games installed already. But now I am even less likely to play them since cod is just too good.

I tried doom eternal, but it's so exhausting to play and I might have bugged progression on a level so I would have reload the entire level.

Division 2 is alright, but why should I play it when cod is so much better and they are both shooters fundamentally.

Basically game needs to be different genre or have interesting story for me to stop playing cod. Or somehow exceed it in terms of shooting gameplay.

Do you guys have problems even trying other games once you have found game you really like?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
No because great games are great games. I don't confuse Cod and The Division because they both have guns

You are obviously going to have your preference, but pretending those 2 experiences are interchangeable is a fallacy.

It's like saying JCVD and Jackie Chan movies are the same because they both do martial arts.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do you guys have problems even trying other games once you have found game you really like?
I don’t have that issue because even great games don’t give me every type of experience. I play variety different games, JRPG, Point click adventure, SRPG/tactical, action game and survival horror games.

Each of them give me different satisfaction, even one game turn out fantastic it doesn’t ruin other games for me.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t that issue because even great games don’t give me every type of experience. I play variety different games, JRPG, Point click adventure, SRPG/tactical, action game and survival horror games.

Each of them give me different satisfaction, even one game turn out fantastic it doesn’t ruin other games for me.
My biggest problem is if I find one that hits me right, I feel a bit depressed after I beat it and it can take me some time to find a new game to fill that gap.

I'll just float around endlessly through a bunch of games until that next one grabs me

Damigos

No i dont have the issue, and i also dont consider cod to be good in general (i be played about 7-8 cod games).

DonJorginho

Banned
(I know this is kinda different to what you mean with your title OP, but this is what your post title means to me.)

Great games TODAY are double edged swords because the industry lacks ingenuity in the AAA space.

Back in the day when a great game would come out, studios would want to surpass that game and do better.

Now when a great game comes out, studios surround said game and do everything they can to copy it so they can make their own success off that original game's formula. Which in turn brings about hoards of the same cookie cutter games with no signs of ambition within the industry, rarely you get games that break that barrier but they're few and far between.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I could never ever in none of my past, present and future lives think that CoD is better than DooM, but said that, i played a lot of CoD too and I don't see the problem. If you like it more, play it and have fun.

Anyway, this is a thing with every multiplayer games to me, for example I started playing competitive Smash Bros. with the release of Ultimate and I basically stopped playing anything else for more than a year. Then I had to stop play it because was becoming like a job and I wanted to continue play more games than just one forever.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Have you tried classic Dooms and Doom 2016.

May I suggest quake ?

Or modern Wolfenstein except young blood.

CoD isn’t a great game for a shooter. It’s a number of set pieces along a linear corridor. Masquerading as an FPS.

also I hear crysis, bio shock, borderlands are good games too.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Yeah I don't have that problem. Once I beat something I just move on to the next one. Also helps I don't bother to play online games anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those games give different experiences. It’s fine to have a preference, but I like playing all different types of games.

Nope, as a matter of fact I look forward to other thrilling, fun games once I beaten a game I love. Plus...one can always replay said game if other games fail to live up to it so it's not a one and done deal at least not for me

hemo memo

Gold Member
They all have guns and you shoot things and this is where the similarities end. You are basically comparing different games. Cod is a corridor FPS. Division 2 is a shooter looter. I didn’t play Doom Eternal but isn’t it like a space combat metroidvania-esque?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
My biggest problem is if I find one that hits me right, I feel a bit depressed after I beat it and it can take me some time to find a new game to fill that gap.

I'll just float around endlessly through a bunch of games until that next one grabs me
Agreed. This is Elden Ring: The Thread for me.

Kev Kev

I have bit of an hate and love relationship with cod mw 2019. Before double dipping on it for xbox, I didn't play my xbox a whole lot despite having few games installed already. But now I am even less likely to play them since cod is just too good.

I tried doom eternal, but it's so exhausting to play and I might have bugged progression on a level so I would have reload the entire level.

Division 2 is alright, but why should I play it when cod is so much better and they are both shooters fundamentally.

Basically game needs to be different genre or have interesting story for me to stop playing cod. Or somehow exceed it in terms of shooting gameplay.

keenan-thompson-confused.gif

Zannegan

I sometimes get a little melancholy and take a break after I finish something truly great and personally groundbreaking. For example, I remember taking a couple of days off reading after finishing Lord of the Rings as a tween because I was left both satisfied with how it had ended and longing for more.

There have been other books and movies that have left me similarly melancholy but not unhappy (if I can put it that way). It's not often though, and I can't think of a game that's done this to me... Maybe Ocarina of Time? To each his own though.

I recently beat Max Payne 3 on Xbox, PS3, and PC on all difficulties and modes. Played it for almost two months straight.

I can’t find anything remotely as good in terms of TPS and kinda feel dead inside and bored.

Felt the same way after replaying FFVI about a year ago, nothing else can scratch that itch for me.

MetalRain

I really liked that CoD, but having to constantly install all Warzone updates and not having any option to choose which maps you want to play in multiplayer kind of sucked.

What I mean is that there often is some golden hour for game and after that even if experience is the same the feeling is not the same. That is kind of sad.

Last edited:

MikeM

I have been trying to expand my horizons. For me, games like GoW, Last of Us, Doom Eternal, Resident Evil and Dead Space are my go-to styles.

Now trying Chorus on gamepass. My first deviation from my gaming comfort zone. Really enjoying it and how it reminds me of Star Fox.

Vandole

The next time someone comes up with a thread about "what is the biggest first world problem you've ever seen?" I'm going to reference this.

Top Bottom