• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush/Silent Hill/Siren veterans led by Keiichiro Toyama quit Sony to form Bokeh Studio

Magog.

Banned
I loved the world of Gravity Rush but the controls didn't really jive for me. I was constantly missing my targets. The relatively low production values with cut scenes being some short Manga style slides meant it was never going to be a big breakout hit either. Best of luck to him in his next game though. He's clearly talented.

Last edited:
I loved the world of Gravity Rush but the controls didn't really jive for me. I was constantly missing my targets. The relatively low production values with cut scenes being some short Manga style slides meant it was never going to be a big breakout hit either. Best of luck to him in his next game though. He's clearly talented.
Ronald, the manga style was an artistic choice not a budgetary one, now please stop dispinsing hot takes and get back to the kitchen and redo your beef patties so they don't taste like cardboard anymore.
b42e4010-e538-11e9-bf3f-f5921d0fbb5f

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Ronald, the manga style was an artistic choice not a budgetary one, now please stop dispinsing hot takes and get back to the kitchen and redo your beef patties so they don't taste like cardboard anymore.
b42e4010-e538-11e9-bf3f-f5921d0fbb5f

Call it what you will but creating fully animated cut scenes would have taken more time and money.

And then they gave it a sequel on a console where there are higher expectations.
So? That's means nothing since the game was obviously in development for the Vita but since it was dead they moved it to the PS4, point is the presentation wasn't the issue with the game.

Magog.

Banned
So? That's means nothing since the game was obviously in development for the Vita but since it was dead they moved it to the PS4, point is the presentation wasn't the issue with the game.

I disagree. The best selling Playstation games have huge production values and some big kick ass cut scenes would have made it much easier to market to a wide audience.

I disagree. The best selling Playstation games have huge production values and some big kick ass cut scenes would have made it much easier to market to a wide audience.
No the most successful PS games are made with western audience in mind, with huge budgets for marketing and simple accessible gameplay and design with story/characters catering to their sensibilities,(fully clothed women that aren't sexy super models for example, protagonists are usually grizzled men in their 30s-40s etc) Gravity Rush had none of those! it had Japanese design philosophy, Japanese character design sensiblities, story and writing that clearly adhered anime and Japanese pop culture (scantily clad sexy girls, protagonists 90% of the time are teens, friendship wins the day etc) and more importantly a weird world and gameplay.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
No the most successful PS games are made with western audience in mind, with huge budgets for marketing and simple accessible gameplay and design with story/characters catering to their sensibilities,(fully clothed women that aren't sexy super models for example, protagonists are usually grizzled men in their 30s-40s etc) Gravity Rush had none of those! it had Japanese design philosophy, Japanese character design sensiblities, story and writing that clearly adhered anime and Japanese pop culture (scantily clad sexy girls, protagonists 90% of the time are teens, friendship wins the day etc) and more importantly a weird world and gameplay.
Gravity Rush had simple accessible gameplay it just wasn't very polished IMO. Like you said it still felt like a handheld game presented on a console. If they had made it bigger it could have been a breakout game.

Gravity Rush had simple accessible gameplay it just wasn't very polished IMO. Like you said it still felt like a handheld game presented on a console. If they had made it bigger it could have been a breakout game.
Siren wasn't a breakout hit and had cutting edge graphics and adult themes.

Hell they even remade the first one with an American cast to try and appeal to western audiences but alas it was the age of the dude bro CoD crowed and it flopped.

Magog.

Banned
Siren wasn't a breakout hit and had cutting edge graphics and adult themes.

Hell they even remade the first one with an American cast to try and appeal to western audiences but alas it was the age of the dude bro CoD crowed and it flopped.

Fron what I played of Siren it felt much less ambitious than Silent Hill.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!!!?!?!:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Returnal, Destruction Allstars (though not my thing) ??

The "cinematic" games he's complaining about have some of the best gameplay of any games ever made in addition to also having well crafted stories. Outsmarting the AI in TLOU2, using your whole arsenal to defeat multiple species of giant mech dinos at once in Horizon, destroying giant hoards of freakers in Days Gone, defeating the Valkyries on the edge of death in GoW are all some of the highlights of the last gen and gaming in general.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The "cinematic" games he's complaining about have some of the best gameplay of any games ever made in addition to also having well crafted stories. Outsmarting the AI in TLOU2, using your whole arsenal to defeat multiple species of giant mech dinos at once in Horizon, destroying giant hoards of freakers in Days Gone, defeating the Valkyries on the edge of death in GoW are all some of the highlights of the last gen and gaming in general.
I wholeheartedly agree. Some of the most fun gameplay I've had has come from cinematic games like Uncharted 4, TLOU, Spider-man, Ghost of Tsushima and more

Top Bottom