• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphically Impressive PSP Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Even though the PSP is several years old now, some games that released for the PSP handheld console are still graphically impressive to this day! Join TVGS as we take a look at some gameplay of the best looking Playstation Portable games the system ever received!

black and white manga GIF

fart town usa

Gold Member
Glad to see Resistance: Retribution on there. Fantastic game with a great narrative/story. Also has cool PS3 functionality.

Skimmed through the video. Games I noticed; Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday (parasite eve 3), Tekken, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Obscure: The Aftermath.

Not sure if it's listed but the White Knight Chronicles game is also real impressive, as are the Phantasy Star Portable Titles.

PSP has a solid library. Really wish we would have got that Resident Evil title. It was announced and that was it. Probably morphed into Revelations on the 3DS.

List please.
1.Resistance:retribution
2.kingdom hearts birth by sleep
3.midnight club la remix
4.metal gear solid: peace walker
5.Ridge racer 2
6.Tekken 4 dark resurrection
7.crisis core final fantasy VII
8.obscure the aftermath
9.the third birthday
10.god of war ghost of sparta

1.mosnter hunter: freedom unite
2.burnout dominator
3.shadow destiny
4.syphon filter: dark mirror
5.tekken 6
6.silent hill shattered memories
7.soul calibur broken destiny
8.sol trigger
9.final fantasy type-0

I had my friends' PSP for a while during my time in army and I was blown away by GoW on that thing.
Also it was a fantastic game and I think they made the controls really tight.

1.Resistance:retribution
2.kingdom hearts birth by sleep
3.midnight club la remix
4.metal gear solid: peace walker
5.Ridge racer 2
6.Tekken 4 dark resurrection
7.crisis core final fantasy VII
8.obscure the aftermath
9.the third birthday
10.god of war ghost of sparta

1.mosnter hunter: freedom unite
2.burnout dominator
3.shadow destiny
4.syphon filter: dark mirror
5.tekken 6
6.silent hill shattered memories
7.soul calibur broken destiny
8.sol trigger
9.final fantasy type-0
Thanks pal.

zcaa0g

Banned
I was impressed by Midnight Club 3 on PSP at the time because it looked just as good, if not a little better(due to the smaller screen), than the PS2 version.

It's pretty damn cool on PPSSPP on PC. Really the best way to play it these days. I miss the MC series and LA was disappointing as it lacked the crazy jumps and races of MC 2 and 3.

Skifi28

Playing Vice City stories back then or God of War...it was hard to believe such visuals were possible on a handheld. Hell, they still hold up extremely well on a small screen.

Edit: The list has Monster Hunter Freedom united, but Portable third is even more of a feast for the eyes. Unfortunately it wasn't available outside of Japan, but there's an English patch around so you can get it to work with a jailbroken PsP or an emulator. Quite the treat.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Funny that Monster Hunter Portable 3 didn't make the list, it for sure would have been on every one of these if it had been released internationally.

kXS6gy5.jpg

Yakuza Black Panther might have been on a list too.
8ChWLT0.jpg

Not sure about too many other Japanese-only games, but there might be a few that have been forgotten. (Brave Story got a worldwide release, right?)

Also of mention, the High Impact Games projects R&C Size Matters and Jak & Daxter Lost Frontier have flight sequences that are impressive, filled with stuff flying around. All of High Impact's PSP games had great technology, regardless of what ended up of the gameplay.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Funny that Monster Hunter Portable 3 didn't make the list, it for sure would have been on every one of these if it had been released internationally (or didn't get a Wii U conversion.)
It got a HD PS3 port, Wii U got 3 Ultimate alongside 3DS based on Wii's Tri, Portable 3rd isn't 3/Tri and 3 Ultimate isn't 3rd G.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

God of War. Ridge Racer lol

What a great Handheld, sold over 80million units too.

PSP, Gameboy/Colour and GBA were my favourites. I do like the DS too

Last edited:

makaveli60

The PSP imo was one of the most impressive hardwares ever. From the physical design to the menu, its multimedia capabilities, everything about it felt quality/hightech. It was basically a slightly weaker ps2 in handheld form. You had to be there to understand it, it was crazy back in the day. Unfortunately, I never owned one, but a couple of people around me did and I could spend quite some time with it (sometimes they even lent it to me). Playing GTA LCS on it was unbelievable. The only serious negative was the lack of a second stick that hindered many games.

Later I bought myself a Vita which was a worthy successor (it felt like a slightly weaker ps3, basically a psp2) that could never live up to its potential thanks to sony’s abandoning it. It could have been a killer handheld if they would have written a ps2 emulator for it at least. What a shame.

Quasicat

There are so many awesome PSP games and fortunately a lot of them were ported to the PS3/PS4. If only Crisis Core got that same treatment. I love my PSP 1000 and go, but the only thing I still play on them is Crisis Core with everything else I play on other systems.

Top Bottom