• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphically Impressive PS1 Games...

HeresJohnny

op video is definitely showing emulated with anti-aliasing footage.
I think Rayman 2 hasn't been cited yet.
Rayman 2 was amazing, but I didn't include that because it also came out on Dreamcast (maybe N64 too?) and looked considerably better.

I'm gonna say Tekken 3 too. That game was sweet looking at the time.

There was another game called One that I don't remember all that much, but I recall being super impressed with its visuals. Lots of sparks.

Oh yeah, don't forget Einhander.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Fear Effect:

bOmHh8E.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I would never play it like that,
Hmm, the controls feel really nice though. It can be said that it makes the game very easy due to the A.I being build around the N64 controls. I like games being snappy and precise and FPS are just the best with mouse & keyboard. Playing it like this comes with a few compromises (animation being janky is one of them), but I think it a refreshing way to experience the game.

cue Nmh2 song
ahaha, yeah I'm actually trying to beat it on bitter. Which me luck.

HeresJohnny

Was Klonoa 2 a PS1 game? I remember that game fondly too.

Can't forget Symphony of the Night, either. Possibly the best Castlevania game ever, and definitely in contention for best looking if not the best.

Last edited:

Agent X

No, it was on PS2. The original Klonoa was on PS1, and was also a great looking game.

Can't forget Symphony of the Night, either. Possibly the best Castlevania game ever, and definitely in contention for best looking if not the best.

I agree. It doesn't push any technical boundaries for the PlayStation, but artistically it is through the roof.

I've started playing it again recently on Android, and it's still a beautiful game to this day. It is truly a timeless classic.

Rickyiez

None of those 3D games look that good on most of the TV. I only remembered jagged mess of pixels back then. The only good looking ones are those with pretty pre-rendered background and simplistic character model like FF9 or 2D games like SF Alpha 3

Last edited:

Damn, how did I not mention klonoa. Yep klonoa 1, one of the best. Also, the wii version is a great remake that looks awesome. Klonoa was such a good series. 2 was on ps2 though

Last edited:

Spokker

Vagrant Story would be my pick.

Unfortunately, all PS1 games suffered from awful juddery movement when the camera moved. The system was simply unable to keep everything from shaking at the slightest movement. That's why PS1 games don't age well to me.

V4skunk

Banned
Easily RRT4 and Einhander.
Best looking rpg probably FFIX and Vagrant Story. Parasite Eve and especially Xenogears were also very impressive when you consider what FFVII looked like.
This was 100% the golden age of Squaresoft.

I would say Vagrant Story and Quake 2 pushed the PS to its limits. I have to say games like Colony Wars, Forsaken also looked amazing but get very little credit

93xfan

Banned
I remember I bought some super expensive magazine because it came with the demo disc inside and I literally played the demo like a hundred times. One of the best I've ever played.
i was the nerd always stopping by Babbages (before they were GameStop) at the mall to ask if they had the latest Official PlayStation Magazine (as I knew it would have the demo for MGS).

After my initial disappointment with the AI (magazines had a way of over-selling and greatly exaggerating what was possible and my young mind had no idea what the limitations were) I really found I loved the demo.

The story, music, presentation, voice acting, characters, and atmosphere of the final game blew me away

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

MGS
Resident Evil 2/3
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Ridge Racer
Fear Effect
Final Fantasy 8/9 plus the cutscenes
Crash and Spyro

Were all giant leaps from Snes and Megadrive/Genisis games

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
no quake 2?
See, there we go. This list never make sense without Quake 2 on PS1:
  • Custom engine by Hammerhead that mimics Quake 2's to a teeth (better than N64)
  • Slightly cut up levels but overall the same game
  • Runs at 512x240 at a stable 30 FPS. Remember, this is a PS1 game, an era of gaming where 15 FPS was acceptable
  • Colored lighting!
Its just amazing.

Another few: Men in Black: The Series - Crashdown (2001) and Delta Force: Urban Warfare (2002). Very late PS1 games that push the hardware beyond what it should do.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

• Custom engine by Hammerhead that mimics Quake 2's to a teeth (better than N64)
  • Runs at 512x240 at a stable 30 FPS. Remember, this is a PS1 game, an era of gaming where 15 FPS was acceptable
  • Colored lighting!
Its just amazing.

Another few: Men in Black: The Series - Crashdown (2001) and Delta Force: Urban Warfare (2002). Very late PS1 games that push the hardware beyond what it should do.

nice video , was really hyped up for the ps1 version of q2 back in the day and played the hell out of it , shadow master by hammerhead was also impressive.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They could have spared that comment about Chrono Cross’s gameplay, the game has no problem in that regard.

Always ironic how the games that strived most for realism (i.e., in this case, the two best-looking racing games on the console) have aged the worst, while all of the others shown in the video have a strong artstyle that holds the test of time. Legend of Dragoon looks amazing, and so does Einhander.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
and it makes you "see more" than you are supposed to in the process, so its not even a good thing. Without adding a filter to reduce the perceived resolution its going to look worse than the original would on a 240p CRT.

Check that compared to ridge racer in that video

UnNamed

Banned
  • Colored lighting!
Its just amazing.

You forgot the most exciting thing: four players mode.

I would add
-Terracon, an open world on psx
-Vanishing Point, controversial racing game, up to 7 cars at the same time and no pop-up
-Tobal1, probably the game who move the higher number of polygons on PSX

I wish they found some way to make polygon placement more precise in emulators (like the textures and resolution).it would make some of these games pretty close to dreamcast titles and better than n64 games in every way possible when emulated.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
You forgot the most exciting thing: four players mode.

I would add
-Terracon, an open world on psx
-Vanishing Point, controversial racing game, up to 7 cars at the same time and no pop-up
-Tobal1, probably the game who move the higher number of polygons on PSX
I had no friends so that was not exciting for me, but you are right.

Uprising X and Forsaken might also be something given their copious amounts of colored lighting.

Fbh

Anything with good pre rendered backgrounds still looks great, if a bit blurry.
Chrono Cross, FFIX, Legend of Dragoon , etc.

If anything they usually look better non emulated because otherwise the super sharp 3D models stand out too much from the blurry backgrounds (unless you have something like the Moguri Mod)

Also maybe not the most technically advanced but I love the look of Breath of Fire IV:
Ey3TTJB.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom