• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphically Impressive Gamecube Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Even though the Nintendo Gamecube is several years old now, some games that released for the 128 bit console are still graphically impressive to this day! Join TVGS as we take a look at some gameplay of the best looking and visually impressive GC games the system ever received!

Metroid, RE remake, SW rogue leader, Mario sunshine, wind waker, RE4 are one of the games from the video.

My choice is RE4, I was blown away when I finished the game.

Hinedorf

Banned
I remember playing the Gamecube for the first time and remarked how whatever Hockey game my friend had on it looked far more impressive than I'd seen on xbox or ps2

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Rogue Squadron. Games are insane. Still.

I remember RSII blowing my mind looking like the movie, and reading wild facts like each little stormtrooper running around on the ground on Hoth as you were flying around had more polygons than the entire scene in Shadows of the Empire.

then RSIII hit and they bumped it up to 11. And included the whole game of RSII with the improved light scattering and rendering, but now split screen coop, and threw it in for fun.

I’d do anything for a remaster of these games.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

4n66okzbws.gif

A classic. Not the most technical, but I don’t care.

lachesis

I was actually quite impressed with RE4 back then. It hasn't aged as well as some other games, but back then - it was pretty impressive looking one.

nush

Gold Member
Most of these games are not graphically impressive but graphically expressive. That's just as if not more than valid.

RE4 on Gamecube.

Can anybody just show that this game was running in a window? Really, that's how it was on Gamecube and when you don't have to draw the whole screen you can make it look better. But of course every video shows this game full screen when it was not. I had a widescreen CRT at the time and I could adjust and zoom in to fill the screen, it looks great that way. Most people did not have the hardware to do that.

When I was a kid, I first saw RE REMAKE, I thought we reached the highest point of next gen graphics. I was blown away followed by Metroid Prime and RE4

I love Nintendo, got a Switch and play it every other day. Let's be honest here, the GameCube era was the last time they really cared about horsepower and graphics.

skit_data

Metroid Prime still looks great. Nothing more to say. The reflections in the visor, the water droplets. Everything has aged remarkably well.
pWpJlCF.gif

Starfox Adventures blew my mind back then. The fuzz on Fox’s tail and body. And the WATER! It was the first game I saw that made me go ”that looks like real water”.
V4LJ0yI.jpg

Last edited:

Kuranghi

*bends over to look at my gamecube games and sees they are all just the ones already mentioned, except one*

Twilight Princess? 🤷‍♂️

The enviroments, like Hyrule field is a bit chonky these days but it was amazing at the time. Its kind of a "dirty" looking game, especially coming off WW which is a super clean.

The Snake

*bends over to look at my gamecube games and sees they are all just the ones already mentioned, except one*

Twilight Princess? 🤷‍♂️

The enviroments, like Hyrule field is a bit chonky these days but it was amazing at the time. Its kind of a "dirty" looking game, especially coming off WW which is a super clean.

Every time I think about Twilight Princess, I think about the color brown.

Matt_Fox

Yes, Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube at the time was just... it was next level. Proper jaw dropping visuals.

As others have said, Viewtiful Joe, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Crazy Taxi and Pikmin were also delightful.

Controversial opinion: Super Mario Sunshine was overrated.

Last edited:
A bit of a tangent, but I remember this generation of hardware being the gen where I realized I'd always be satisfied with visuals if they never improved. (I've never been a graphics-first type of gamer anyway.) And while I certainly appreciate many of the hardware/tech strides that have come since, I still feel that way, generally speaking.

So many games from that generation (including Gamecube) that still look phenomenal to me today. Granted, I still love and appreciate low-poly, PS1 era stuff, so maybe I'm not the best measuring stick, lol.

Top Bottom