• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (PC) gets 60fps patch for combat

Falk

that puzzling face
No. You can toggle to disable keep aspect ratio in the config menu now:

To be more accurate, this stretches a 4:3 image. From your quoted post's usage of the word 'still', it probably can be inferred that he's asking if the patch changed this behavior.

The answer is 'no, 1.03 did not change aspect ratio behavior'.

edit: short 60fps video

Ryne

Can't get my controller (Xbox One Controller) to work at all. I tried all four drivers I have.

So, I'll refund and wait until there's a patch again because this is th eonly game I have issues using my Xbox One controller with.

Zafir

No. You can toggle to disable keep aspect ratio in the config menu now:

To be more accurate, this stretches a 4:3 image. From your quoted post's usage of the word 'still', it probably can be inferred that he's asking if the patch changed this behavior.

The answer is 'no, 1.03 did not change aspect ratio behavior'.

edit: short 60fps video
Ah right. Rather disappointing. Don't like the image being stretched.

Glad they have done updates to this mind you. It seems to run very nice at 60FPS.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's so smooooooooooth. Except for that FMV summon attack lol.

Hahaha yeah, put that in there just curb any unwarranted expectations (The FMV aren't gonna magically 60fps themselves. Not without Twixtor magic anyway for sub-par results)

Zafir

It will be 4:3 forever, they need to remade every FMV first for a 16:9 port, and that's more like a remake for me.

No, no one is asking for FMVs to be remade... They can stay 4:3.

I was referring to whether they managed to actually render the extra geometry for wide screen, which shouldn't require a remake or any different assets.

I was referring to whether they managed to actually render the extra geometry for wide screen, which shouldn't require a remake or any different assets.

The problem is that all the spells are prerendered, so widescreen in battle is problematic.

Odrion

Banned
The problem is that all the spells are prerendered, so widescreen in battle is problematic.

Eh, just have the bars appear when that happens.

Hey, a lot of games change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 21:9 during cinematic moments and people think that's fine. So why not? :p

Hey, a lot of games change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 21:9 during cinematic moments and people think that's fine. So why not? :p

Changing aspect ratios mid battle when an ability is used is a really poor solution. I'd rather just have a consistent 4:3 than that. I can't think of any game that regularly switches aspect ratios like that.

eastx

Changing aspect ratios mid battle when an ability is used is a really poor solution. I'd rather just have a consistent 4:3 than that. I can't think of any game that regularly switches aspect ratios like that.

Make it an option and then you please everybody.

But again, widescreen borders everywhere are the simplest solution for those of us who don't like the black bars on the sides.

Dachande

It's not as simple as "just make it widescreen", guys. The engine wasn't originally coded to render an area larger than 4:3, so there could be issues trying to expand the screen size, like unfinished areas that would've been hidden off-camera suddenly being visible in gameplay and during cutscenes, and in-engine camera shots not working correctly due to some of the maths potentially being different. A screen hack for the Dreamcast version running in an emulator showed quite a few problems like those, like in big parts of the intro.

It could be fixed, but GungHo would need to retest the entire game, find those problems and fix the assets/patch the code where necessary and then retest the entire game again, multiple times, until everything is working. That's going to take time, if it happens at all.

Considering the status of the framerate is now exactly the same as what Ubi managed with the old PC version, I've got a sneaky suspicion that there's something framerate-dependent in the off-battle portions that makes it fuck up horribly if the framerate is unlocked there...

Dio

Banned
It's not as simple as "just make it widescreen", guys. The engine wasn't originally coded to render an area larger than 4:3, so there could be issues trying to expand the screen size, like unfinished areas that would've been hidden off-camera suddenly being visible in gameplay and during cutscenes, and in-engine camera shots not working correctly due to some of the maths potentially being different. A screen hack for the Dreamcast version running in an emulator showed quite a few problems like those, like in big parts of the intro.

Yeah, there are a bunch of issues with even older PC titles not rendering things outside of the 4:3 window. That's not really something that you can fix without actually altering things on a fundamental level.

Eila

It'd just be re-encoding the videos with black borders on the side, though that would present a problem with players with aspect ratios other than 16:9. A solution could be re-encoding each video in the different supported aspect ratios and playing the correct ones depending on the aspect ratio the player is running.
The widescreen hack could just be in the beta version, clearly stating that a few problems might emerge. I don't see many people complaining for the few issues the Falcom games on steam have when played widescreen. The issues are fairly minor, stuff like a black abyss on the sides because the player wasn't mean to look over there, characters "leave" the screen but still stay on the corner, etc.

Alex

This patch helped out, fixed some annoying hiccups for me in addition to the nice bonuses. Good stuff.

Odrion

Banned
Make it an option and then you please everybody.

But again, widescreen borders everywhere are the simplest solution for those of us who don't like the black bars on the sides.

As a Plasma owner, fuck widescreen borders.

That would do. Let the FMVs as it is, but make it native widescreen. Heck, I'll even buy the game without hesitation if they managed to pull it off.
I don't mind the 30 fps but I just can't stand the 4:3 ratio. Stretched wide is not the answer.

Top Bottom