• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (PC) gets 60fps patch for combat

Falk

that puzzling face
This is new thread worthy.

I concur.

edit: Short 60fps video

Long story short, Grandia II Anniversary Edition is a new port released Aug 24th based on the original Dreamcast version of the game (e.g. not related to the technically challenged PS2 and original PC versions)

Dreamcast game was 30fps throughout.

Original PC port had 60fps battles

Fans bitched about it

GungHo/SkyBox delivers, now the new port is 60fps in battles as well. Lots of other misc things in the patch too.

The precedent here is how many games from that era were shackled to their original FPS, so this is kind of a very nice surprise, even if it's a turn-based JRPG.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520518688941726463/

Update 1.03 out now! [Official Patch Notes Thread]
The big update is here, and I’m happy to share a special message straight from the dev team:

We're pleased to announce Update 1.03 for Grandia II Anniversary Edition! This updates focuses on fan requested features, additional bug fixes and game stability improvements.

The biggest update is undoubtedly the unlocking of 60fps battles! It looks amazing. Please note, 60FPS battles are more taxing on your PC setup so if you run into issues please let us know or try lowering your quality settings. Unchecking 60FPS Battles in the Launcher will return battles to the previous 30FPS setting. For people with low end systems we've also added a toggle to turn off the Improved Shadows. This may help people with lower end systems run the game at a higher resolution and/or better frame rate. Results will vary. For those that live stream the game, do let's play videos, or just like to multi task we've added a toggle to allow the game to continue running when focus is lost. A number of Volume sliders have been exposed including footsteps! 0 is OFF, 100 is MAX. We've set a new default volume mix but please tune to your own liking. Lastly a number of critical issues were fixed as well as two memory leaks which we hope greatly improves the game stability. Please read below for the full patch notes.

We're hoping most of the community enjoys the changes in 1.03. Please know that we're actively reading & monitoring the forums for your feedback and comments. We are determined to make this the definitive version of Grandia II and will continue to support it. More improvements are planned and once we have further details to share we'll let you know! For now.... GAME ON!!!

Update 1.03

New Video Settings
- 60FPS Battles On/Off toggle
- Shadows On/Off toggle
- Pause App on Focus Loss On/Off toggle
- 4K & Ultra Wide resolutions added
- Custom resolution support added (type any resolution in the drop down box)

New Audio Settings
- Music Volume added
- Speech Volume added
- SFX Volume added
- Ambience Volume added
- Footsteps Volume added
- New Default Volume Mix updated

Gamepad
- Analog Camera On/Off toggle (disable for a temp fix for Xbox One controllers on Windows 10)
- Analog Movement On/Off toggle

Bug Fixes
- Fixed two memory leaks
- Fixed crash when Roan talks to NPC in Liligue City
- Fixed delayed from occurring at the end of moves/magic that play videos
- Fixed ground clipping on Millenia's Fallen Wings move

Misc
- Added Version Number to Main Launcher Window

edit: Inb4 conspiracy theories that GungHo were sitting on this patch all along and released it after the 25% launch discount period ended on Aug 31st.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
What about the after battle xp n money glitch

Falk

that puzzling face
That was fixed within 24 hours of launch.

edit: Just for reference, patch history

Update 1.02 is now available!

Fixed the issue that was causing players to get stuck in the first Millenia encounter if playing the tutorial directly before it.

This same fix also corrects an issue which caused Spiders to instantly kill players and enemies to use the same spell multiple times.
Update 1.01

Fix for coins not being awarded if defeating an ememy very quickly and then rapidly pressing the A button on the results screen

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Well i take that back then well done devs

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Okay, GungHo. I wanted to believe, but was a little let down with the issues at launch. I was encouraged when you fixed a couple of the major issues within a day. Now, I'm happy with this.

I'll buy whatever else you release on PC.

antitrop

Awesome, really glad I supported this.

Overly loud footsteps were another issue I had, and they addressed that, too!

bede-x

Any chance we could see full 60fps support at some point? Was planning to play this after I'm done with Mad Max, but would have no problem waiting if a 60fps patch is on the way.

Nice set of fixes and updates there.

Makes a change from the usual level of support some games get, where they're just thrown up on steam and forgotten about.

Seda

The volume settings is a real nice change too. The sound effect balance was pretty awkward originally.

Tizoc

Any chance we could see full 60fps support at some point? Was planning to play this after I'm done with Mad Max, but would have no problem waiting if a 60fps patch is on the way.

I'd like to think that'll happen in due time.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd like to think that'll happen in due time.

There might have been core engine issues preventing it from the original PC port as well, but eh, I guess at this point weirder things have happened hahahah

Praise be. I'm definitely picking this up now.

These guys are clearly doing their best to support the game post release, it's great to see.

Shantom

The sound mix fix is very welcome, and the 4K support now means downsampling is possible. Good work from Gungho.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nice that they are supporting this port well, I was expecting OP to be about a fan made patch. Definitely planning to pick this up, just not in the cards right now though.

Have there been any texture mods for the UI yet? Saw a lot of people saying that shouldn't be hard to do.

Parsnip

Cool cool cool.

Have there been any texture mods for the UI yet? Saw a lot of people saying that shouldn't be hard to do.

None that I have seen. Something about the combat ui is handled differently than the world ui it seems, and when I made changes to the combat graphics, they just disappeared.
Didn't look into it more than that, maybe it only accepts some very specific dds compression method or something.
World UI is seemingly much easier, assuming someone feels like doing the actual work.

Buy the game. Support this.

OK, will do!

Question: Will the first one also receive a port? I'm itching to play that one again but every time i start the game i get offended by the bad synchronization so i would like to try it with Japanese VA like i will try the Anniversary Edition port of the second one now :eek:)

Mman235

Regardless of improvements this aspect being worse than the original port was kind of unfortunate, so it's nice that this is 100% superior now. With all the support it's had to fix other issues too I guess I'll get this when I can.

Tenebrous

This is very awesome of them.

Buy the game. Support this.

Wouldn't go as far as to call it awesome, as the game shouldn't have launched in its original state. They're just fixing what needs to be fixed, and I'm glad they did.

Installing now. 72%... Won't be playing it for a while, though.

Superb.

Are there any major or annoying bugs left now?

If the patch notes are everything that have been fixed, I think there are still a few graphical/clipping issues, sound looping issues and one fmv not playing normally that I have personally seen. Nothing major up to the point I have played.

Some translation issues too, but those were in the original release.

Why only for battles? I don't get it.

Game logic depends on it I think.

MCD

Cross post:

My game keeps rotating non-stop with Xbox One controller plugged in. Using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Any known fix?

ss_lemonade

Why only for battles? I don't get it.
Maybe the game was coded in such a way where outside battles, framerate had to be locked? Even the original PC release had 60fps battles, and 30fps everything else. Would be cool though for the entire game to run at 60

Shantom

Cross post:

My game keeps rotating non-stop with Xbox One controller plugged in. Using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Any known fix?

Turn off analog camera in the config. You'll then control the camera with LB and RB. They've said this is a temporary fix while they investigate why the XB1 controller isn't working as it should.
Edit: MCD found a better method below.

MCD

Turn off analog camera in the config. You'll then control the camera with LB and RB. They've said this is a temporary fix while they investigate why the XB1 controller isn't working as it should.

WjXQdxn.jpg

Did this plus restart (i tried to do it before without restarting and my pad didn't work) and everything works correctly for my X1 controller.

FF13 and 13-2 also work under this old driver version (these two games do not work with default/new X1 controller driver).

I will PM this to Caspel.

EDIT: doing this fix break Xbox One Game Streaming as the app won't detect your controller. So while this is a fix, it's not ideal.

Paltheos

Oh, wow. Nifty. I was already pretty satisfied when I first booted up 1.02, but this is great. The only thing I'm really looking forward to when getting home is adjusting the audio balance, but I am a little curious how other stuff will go, like 60 fps battles.

Shantom

WjXQdxn.jpg

Did this plus restart (i tried to do it before without restarting and my pad didn't work) and everything works correctly for my X1 controller.

FF13 and 13-2 also work under this old driver version (these two games do not work with default/new X1 controller driver).

I will PM this to Caspel.

Ah, that's a lot better. It's fixed my controller issues in One Piece as well, thank you :)

MCD

Ah, that's a lot better. It's fixed my controller issues in One Piece as well, thank you :)

NP.

See my edit though. While this does improve the situation, it might break other things like Xbox One Game Streaming.

Falk

that puzzling face
If Grandia II, One Piece and XIII/XIII-2 work with the rollback but not with the latest Microsoft XBOX One controller drivers, I think there's a certain place we should be to be looking towards (glaring at, really) to fix the issue.

I'd love to see some videos of combat at 60 fps if anybody has some to share.

Still uploading.

Eila

Wow, I put the game on hold because of the issues, but I didn't expect them to get fixed so fast and so well. All that's left is for a menu and text reworking so you have proper Grandia II HD.

Ryne

Fixed my Direct3D issue (the folder in steamapps was marked as read only), but I can't get my controller to work with the game. Gonna try to change drivers back to the new version.

Bladelaw

This is exactly the kind of heads up I needed on bug fixes. Grabbing when I get home!

Thanks for the update and well played by GungHo/Skybox for actually supporting their release!

Top Bottom