• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V has sold 170M copies (385 Million for the franchise) and Read Dead Redemption 2 sold-in over 46M copies (70M for the franchise) etc

The Grand Theft Auto series is the best-selling franchise by Take-Two with over 385 million units sold-in and is "one of the most successful, iconic and critically acclaimed brands in all of entertainment," according to Take-Two.

Grand Theft Auto V has sold-in over 170 million units and is the best-selling game of the past 10 years in the US, based on both unit and dollar sales. It also "reached $1 billion in retail sales faster than any entertainment release in history."

The Red Dead Redemption series with only two releases have sold-in over 70 million units worldwide. Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold-in over 46 million units and is the second best-selling title in the US over the past five years based on dollar sales.

other games

The NBA 2K series has sold-in over 130 million units worldwide and is the best-selling basketball simulation IP in the US based on dollar and unit sales.

The Borderlands series has sold-in over 77 million units worldwide, which is up from 75 million in the previous quarter. Sales reported for Borderlands 2 has sold-in over 27 million, while Borderlands 3 has sold-in over 16 million units.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is an "all-new, fantasy-fueled offering that has taken our partnership with Gearbox Software to new creative heights." It is "viewed as best new franchise from 2K in several years."

Sid Meier’s Civilization series has sold-in over 63 million units, which is up from 62 million in the previous quarter. The BioShock series has sold-in nearly 41 million units, which is up from 39 million units.

• GTA V: 170 million Copies (franchise is 385 million)
  • RDR2: 46 million Copies
  • Borderlands 2: 27 million Copies
  • Borderlands 3: 16 million Copies

• Bioshock Franchise is at 41 million Copies sold
  • Civilization Franchise is at 63 million Copies sold
  • NBA 2K Franchise is at 130 million Copies sold.

Somehow Take-Two managed to have financial issues despite these sales. These are huge for a company to have, enormous.

GTA V's 170 million copies taken off leaves 215 million for the rest of the franchise. That's about 20M off from GTA V selling half the franchises LTD. GTA V sales are finally slowing down however, and I doubt it can get to 190-192, however we may never see such a phenomenon again, especially for a rated M game worldwide. GTA 6 will probably do well just because it's GTA, but it won't sell like this.

NBA 2K basically has a monopoly on basketball games after EA's repeated failures. NBA is also open to new comers so 2K accomplished this without using EA's Madden tactics.

Civilization needs to be better treated, 63 million for the franchise is good but it's not being handle the way it was for the first several entries were it was a major gaming event. I think that franchise should be over 100 million by now.

Good to see Borderland and Bioshock still selling well.

No numbers for Tiny Tina is telling. Take Two must not have felt they were worth discussing.

Last edited:
Season 10 Finale GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

New Bioshock, where are you? There's got to be a Plasmid that lets you see slightly into the future. Just Jam it into my wrist.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So I'm 100% understanding, is VG Chartz credible now?

If it's based on actual earnings results then I'd link thkse directly and not that site.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yeah it's why we haven't had a GTA 6 and why every other game company tried to copy GTA V online's success, if the numbers were higher i would still believe them.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
And still no PS5/Series 60 fps patch. Why are you bragging about making billions when you're neglecting these games, Take Two/Rockstar?
Pixel counting is a hobby for weird nerds, not anything that most people care about.

They are both some of the best games ever made in all honesty. Nothing really even comes close as far as creating a totally reactive open world with so much nuance with the AI.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'll keep saying there's some kind of shady business regarding those numbers, I know basically no one that has the game, it's anecdotal but hell, I've seen way more people with Smash, Mario Kart, Minecraft, WoW, Fortnite, etc.

NeonDelta

I wouldn't be surprised if there were people on this forum that brought it at least 2-3 times.
i just bought it for the 5th time (Steam), mainly because i want to play it on steam deck.

Xbox 360 disc
PS4 disc
Xbox One digital
Xbox Series X upgrade digital
Epic Games Store (free)
Steam

i just bought it for the 5th time (Steam), mainly because i want to play it on steam deck.

Xbox 360 disc
PS4 disc
Xbox One digital
Xbox Series X upgrade digital
Epic Games Store (free)
Steam

Well 4 times if epic was free. But yeah you would be an example of the I'm sure many that did at least 2 if not more dips.

I'll keep saying there's some kind of shady business regarding those numbers, I know basically no one that has the game, it's anecdotal but hell, I've seen way more people with Smash, Mario Kart, Minecraft, WoW, Fortnite, etc.

It may have something to do with the generations themselves. A certain group late gen were buying the game on the 360 and PS3, but then for XBO and PS4 a lot of newer people were buying it, especially in higher income countries, which is likely were most of the double dipping happened too. While near the end of that gen until recently through discounts a lot of late comers were starting to get it, and then finally you have the buyers who got the Series and PS5 consoles in the first 2 years.

However, judging by Take Two's repoert GTAV sales are slowing down so there was a cap for how many were still buying afterlate XBO/PS4.

Even still, I do agree somewhat, I would like see a breakdown by platform and region and what they include as a "sold" copy but we are probably lucky we even got this.

Doczu

Wow, am i like the only guy on Earth that hasn't bought this game?
Somehow i never felt like playing GTA V and i never finished RDR 2 and sold my copy. Game was waaay to fucking slow.

Top Bottom