• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V earns record $247M in Q2 (selling 5M units per quarter)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/82579/grand-theft-auto-earns-record-247-million-in-q222/index.html

Take-Two Interactive just published its 10-Q report detailing info on GTA sales. Based on historical data, we can extrapolate the figures and compile them in a graph. The results are pretty interesting.

82579_3_grand-theft-auto-franchise-hits-new-q2-highs-with-247-million-earned.jpg

82579_2_grand-theft-auto-franchise-hits-new-q2-highs-with-247-million-earned.jpg

Based on our findings, the Grand Theft Auto franchise made about $247.423 million in Q2 Fiscal Year 22. This is a record-breaking Q2 that delivered the best earnings since GTA V's release. To date, Grand Theft Auto V has propelled franchise earnings to $6.925 billion since launch in September 2013.

Game sales are likewise up. GTA V has now sold-in 155 million units worldwide, and Q2 is the fourth consecutive quarter where the game has sold 5 million units. GTA V is selling more copies per quarter than some games sell in their entire lifetimes.

82579_1_grand-theft-auto-franchise-hits-new-q2-highs-with-247-million-earned.png

A lot of that money came from people playing on PS4 Pro and X1X ... yet those assholes never did a patch for those systems.

Shao Kahn

Neo Member
We wont see GTA 6 anytime soon.
They are not stopping development on GTA6 because GTAV makes money.
It just that they have luxury to not rush game.

But in fact GTA6 in full development and when it revealed you will see development time even from trailer. Lots of attention to detail and animation etc

Dr.Morris79

No single player DLC and the online is still a bag of shit, that makes even more money

Glad to see they put the money back into the game.. (y)

What a shithouse company they've become. I'm just glad we got Red dead 2 to break up the monotony of another ten years of this shit.

Shao Kahn

Neo Member
No single player DLC and the online is still a bag of shit, that makes even more money

What a shithouse company they've become. I'm just glad we got Red dead 2 to break up the monotony of another ten years of this shit.
Is it company's fault that gamers reward them with millions of cash?
It's clear that people are happy and company is happy.
I don't get why you are bitter because they didnt program some crappy shitty written dialogues in a single player DLC.
I think they did a lot of cool thing in Online even though I dont play that much I still check it time to time.

DavidGzz

Holy chit. They can sit back for another 5 years and this will keep selling. Why rush to bring GTA6 when it will just cut into these crazy sales for a finished game. See you in 2026 GTA6. Maybe.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Jesus that sales graph, so consistent and unmoving.
This game isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Is it company's fault that gamers reward them with millions of cash?
It's clear that people are happy and company is happy.
I don't get why you are bitter because they didnt program some crappy shitty written dialogues in a single player DLC.
I think they did a lot of cool thing in Online even though I dont play that much I still check it time to time.

The ballad of gay Tony and lost and damned were shitty written dialogues?

I dont really know how to answer that i'm affraid but we can pretend GTA V online is great, if you like?

Is Roblox good because people throw money at it like lunatics? What about Gacha games?

Throwing money at things doesnt make them good, period. I think what we're seeing here is just another form of addiction.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Hahah no need to make a new game when the old one is selling like this. How on earth is this possible man

Mithos

Are people buying it for...

Grand Theft Auto 5 (Single Player part)
Grand Theft Auto Online (Multiplayer part)

I consider this two separate things... and it would be interesting if they were separate games, what people would be buying.

Not gonna lie the Tuners update was pretty major for them. That alone pulled in so many people. Heck I had guys at work wanting to play the game with me when that update dropped.

Kerotan

A lot of that money came from people playing on PS4 Pro and X1X ... yet those assholes never did a patch for those systems.
Insane that it never happened. Makes no sense. Lazy bastards.

This will sell and make a lot of money for Q3 which includes the holidays. And then next year the enhanced edition. 200M sales by holiday 2024? Where will it end.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Such potential to tell more incredible stories in the single player game in such a detailed world... But business is gonna business and with GTAO is bringing in so much cash you go where the money is, hats off R* you lovable Scottish bastards

Shao Kahn

Neo Member
Are people buying it for...

Grand Theft Auto 5 (Single Player part)
Grand Theft Auto Online (Multiplayer part)

I consider this two separate things... and it would be interesting if they were separate games, what people would be buying.
Likely both why not play other part as well

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man no wonder they are bringing out a current gen update it's a money printing machine. GTA 6 will I'm sure have a monster budget thank to GTA 5.

Last edited:

Plantoid

At least the game is good, red dead redemption 2 sucks, bought it thinking it would be GTA in the old west....

saintjules

I'm curious. Where does one start with the whole GTA Online stuff? I'm purposely holding out on finishing the campaign once the E&E version comes out. I never finished from the PS3/4 gameplays I had.

leo-j

To me it’s kind of sad considering there has been no new GTA for 2 gens almost. GTA V was a ps3 release. It came out in a gen when GTA IV released.
Ps2: GTA 3, SA, VICE CITY, LIVERRY STORIES, VC STORIES
Ps3: GTA IV , DLC, GTA V
PS4 : GTA V ONLINE
PS5: ??????

mckmas8808

Banned
Holy chit. They can sit back for another 5 years and this will keep selling. Why rush to bring GTA6 when it will just cut into these crazy sales for a finished game. See you in 2026 GTA6. Maybe.

True, but why aren't they making any new games with all this cash? I'd take a Bully 2 at this point.

Marvel14

Banned

So much salt. I play online regularly and it.is fun...absolutely nothing wrong with it except the odd asshole who cheats or won't stop attacking you.

Oh and Red Dead 2 single player is nowhere near as good or engaging as RD1. And I am not the only one who thinks this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom