• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto - The Trilogy Remastered leaked & trailer coming soon?

Bluecondor

One angle I am thinking of is that Mafia I level remake/remasters (I know there is debate over if it is either/or in Mafia I) of GTA III Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas would both generate a ton of cash/hype from single player GTA fans, and then could generate a wealth of new content for GTA-Online. I could see Rockstar releasing the remade/remastered trilogy and then doling out LC, VC and SA in hyped GTA Online updates with new online missions, etc.

When you think about it, Rockstar needs a new hook to get us excited about continuing on with GTA Online on the PS5 and Xbox. Making these cities playable in GTA-Online (following the remaster), would just print money. I haven't played GTA-Online in years, but I would fire it back up just to buy some properties and businesses in LC, VC and San Andreas.

My two cents anyway.....

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
VC/SA would be great

Never liked GTA3 played it at the time felt like a tech demo and went back to GTA2 until VC came out and I was like "this is it"

The games need to be remade, not remastered. I'm sorry, but the classic trilogy has aged poorly and simply upping the res and textures ain't gonna cut it. The games would have to be remade from the ground up using Rockstar's modern engine.

Sephimoth

Haven't read thread so probably already mentioned, but I fear the iconic soundtracks would be butchered to hell due to license issues.

wvnative

"Modernise the controls"

I'll give people the benefit of the doubt in that they don't know how game development works, but this needs to be put to bed, because it comes up all the time.

You can't just slap GTA V's cover system into a 2001-2004 PS2 game and call it a day, the game is not designed for it. Assuming it's even technically possible to go back into that source code and edit it in such a way, there aren't chest-high walls laid out everywhere like they are in modern titles. Just add third person aiming you say? They already did, over a decade ago, in the PC ports, and it breaks them to the point of being hilariously easy. The games were built around the PS2 where you would hold down one button to aim at a person and press another to shoot. That's it. They're arcade games. They were ported to PC and Rockstar didn't really give a fuck that San Andreas basically became a point and click game where you would headshot snipe people with an AK from half a street away. At least people could play it, but it feels like a very different game if you've ever actually taken the time to play both versions through.

They also can't just go in and "add modern physics and handling" to the cars, again, the game isn't designed around it. Assuming it was even possible, every single ramp in each game that is supposed to be jumped would need to be checked and rebalanced to make sure it still works as intended with the new physics. Every single race would need to be checked and potentially reworked, the AI would need to be reworked to take advantage of the new handling, everything with a vehicle sequence would need to be re-scripted.

At this point, you're starting to talk about a full remake. It would be easier to recreate each game from scratch in a new engine, and again, you then come to the point where the fundamental design is incompatible and completely outdated, you're talking about requiring a full on Resident Evil 2 level remake, and each game in the trilogy is significantly grander in scope. It's never, ever going to happen.

Just go and play the originals on PC. They're janky, because they're ~20 year old games at this point, but they're still perfectly playable for the nostalgia hit you're looking for. Also, this rumour is complete bullshit anyway, stop taking it as gospel.

Your right...if its a remaster.

If they're full remakes though...

JimboJones

Already did that 10 years ago.

No I mean they are going to port those ports over to consoles 😅

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Your right...if its a remaster.

If they're full remakes though...

S'what I'm saying, they'd need to be. And they won't be because that's a gigantic undertaking which kind of undermines their existing product, and that's just not their M.O. at all, at least any more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fanmade Shark Cards

GIF by memecandy

MrS

Banned
Would pick this up no question. Some of the best games ever made and GTA3 is top 5 all time for me.

Last edited:

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
new evidence possibly? UNi a gta forums mod posted this fake shark cards

Esa9EdJXcAYTIac

"2001200220042013BF6"

2001- GTA 3 release
2002- Vice City release
2004- San Andreas release
2013- GTA V release date

B46 (before gta 6)

Last edited: