• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: The Definitive Trilogy Reveal Trailer

In all honesty, it looks shit. GTA3 and San Andreas are two of my favourite games, but this doesn't look that great. They've made it super cartoony and weird. The new controls and movement will obviously be great but I expected more. This looks lazy as fuck.

-- "Rockstar is totally going to do less than the bare minimum because they are lazy"

>>> Rockstar releases a trailer showing that the remasters are much more than bare minimum

-- "this looks like garbage, why do the characters look like Fortnite. Fuck Rockstar"

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif

AGRacing

Gold Member
For those of us who bought these games new back in the early 2000s... I think this remaster effort is pretty spot on.

I want the game to look how I REMEMBER it... not how it actually really looked... and not as good as they could do it if they really tried. This gives me the nostalgia but also some of the perks of it being a modern engine and modern controls (I hope).

If the soundtrack is the same as well I'll be very happy, I think. This trailer got me pumped.

SZips

You know what? This is more than I expected them to do. Haven't played through these games since they were initially out on consoles, so I'll be happy to replay through these games again if they ever get a Steam release.

I think it's the right level of upgrade--it looks like my memory of the old games with functional, more modern gameplay. I don't want them to look like the old stories with the visual quality of 4 or 5; I want that retro feeling.

Kacho

Gold Member
-- "Rockstar is totally going to do less than the bare minimum because they are lazy"

>>> Rockstar releases a trailer showing that the remasters are much more than bare minimum

-- "this looks like garbage, why do the characters look like Fortnite. Fuck Rockstar"

Mt-Z9-N-1.gif
Nailed it

Spacefish

It went from retro AAA to low budget indie. Somebody needs to let these people know that basic unreal shaders while technologically more advanced aren't impressive, they are actually now markers of student projects and steam trash. Either go all the way or leave it alone.

yamaci17

the characters' arms and bodies look like they're made of playdough or smth

something very weird with them. it feels unnattural and unsettling

like some automatic AI tool re-created polygons based on the old animations

MacReady13

Looks good! I'm in for sure. Not too sure what you all were expecting but I'm excited! Especially for Vice City. Now all I need is for to NOT censor the game and please, for the love of god do NOT fuck up the soundtracks...

Looks awesome. Was replaying Vice City a month ago and the controls just don't hold up. Surprisingly, I got through the AC helicopter mission pretty easily but struggled with all the heaving shooting missions. Also retrying missions was big pain in the ass.

I think most of us back in the day threw on some cheats to wreak havoc. Now I can really enjoy the storyline and missions.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It seems like Tommy looks the worst out of the main characters shown off. He looks weird. CJ looks the best, and Claude looks okay except for the face mostly.

People are going to be surprised how small the maps actually are compared to how they remember.

ZehDon

Day 1 on Gamepass? Can’t really argue with that! Seeing these trailers, it’s more than I was expecting, but with a full price tag, I’d still have waited for a decent discount. Can’t wait to play through them again now!

carlosrox

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wasn't really into GTA at the same but I did try 3 and VC and liked them but didn't really understand all the hype. Never got to try SA.

4k on these would be nice, and having them on Switch could be cool what with the OLED, portable, and gyro controls.

Very hmmmmmmmmmm. Will think about it.

Larxia

It's... really strange.
It is indeed more than I was expecting, but at the same time, it also looks really weird and kind of bad.

There is a lot of change in lighting and some objects, but a lot of other models still look like the ps2 versions, giving these remasters a very "modded" look. Modern lighting but with a low detailed car, it looks uncanny and like some ENB /lighting mods and such for older games. It looks better, but at the same time you can clearly see something looks wrong and uneven.

And the worst is really the character models. I think they made this cartoon look just to have an excuse for this strange rework of these games that doesn't go all the way. They started a "big" remaster, but it seems like they also didn't want to put *too much* effort, so they stopped there and added this cartoon look to pretend it's just part of the art style, and the lack of detail would work with that. It reminds me of some indie games going for a low poly look for "art style", while in reality it's just trying justify a low budget.

I don't know, I think it looks too uncanny, too strange, it's half of a remake with remains from the old games. Would have definitely preferred something like the Mafia Remake, but at the same time I was also only expecting the ps2 games in HD like on PC.

bender

What time is it?
Nothings been mentioned about the soundtrack. Whether that’s good news or not remains to be seen. I just hope it doesn’t go the Crazy Taxi route.

I don't think the soundtracks will ever be fully restored. If I had to wager, I'd put my money on further cuts. I'd shell out $60 even with the children's mobile game inspired character models if we did get the original soundtracks in tact..

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I wasn't really into GTA at the same but I did try 3 and VC and liked them but didn't really understand all the hype. Never got to try SA.

4k on these would be nice, and having them on Switch could be cool what with the OLED, portable, and gyro controls.

Very hmmmmmmmmmm. Will think about it.
Opt for playing IV instead.

I’m in for the switch as long as it runs well enough

good-luck-4.gif

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Never bothered to play any of these for more than 5 minutes back in the day. Will wait to see how they improved the controls before considering it for PS5.

nush

Gold Member
If Take 2 actually gave a shit and made a real investment to improvements this would not be a trilogy pack but three individual launch date separated releases. Then bundle them afterwards for a Trilogy pack. But yeah, they do look better than the originals so you're buying what is sold on the tin.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like shit. Its no wonder they're bundling all 3 together for the price of one.

Im pretty sure at least 90% of us would have paid full price for a full fledged remake/remaster.

Also let us not forget changes were made to appeal to the "modern audience".
Mobile happened. So, yeah. That’s why it looks the way that it does, and not like RDR2 level or Mafia remake level. Easy ML engine porting cash grab with more than likely enough things removed for current Overton year… “definitive” tho

Nico_D

This would look better to me if I hadn't see what a small group of modders have done for free.

Why not buy the mods and work from there? Pride?

Another improvement would be to have GTA V cop AI implemented throughout. I doubt it. The old games would cheat too much and you couldn't kill anyone without an immediate star

packy34

New songs don't work with these games. They're from a totally different era. If they do that they'll ruin the whole experience.
By "new" I generally mean songs that weren't there before. A different set of 80s songs for vice city, etc.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Remake of course. Not the shitty upscaling seen in Mass Effect: Legendary edition.
Wouldn't a remake be remaking the games on a completely new engines using modern visuals?

Like bluepoint games.

This is more like an enhanced remaster, no?

CamHostage

Mobile happened. So, yeah. That’s why it looks the way that it does, and not like RDR2 level or Mafia remake level. Easy ML engine porting cash grab with more than likely enough things removed for current Overton year… “definitive” tho

Have you never seen a game played on a phone?

Mobile is not the reason why this is not the kind of full-scale production you are imagining. Current-gen Android and iOS devices could handle more (as can Switch, before we bring that into the conversation). File size could have been an issue (it's 25GB for the Trilogy; games like Fortnite are smaller in the mobile variant, sometimes 60-80% smaller than a UHD PC version, but that would still be a huge file considering the past GTA mobile releases were 3.5GB for the same three titles,) and some work would have had to have been done to customize the phone version. Otherwise, a phone can handle UE4 at fidelity beyond a modified PS2 game world, and scaling approaches of modern game engines would have made it plenty possible to produce a downscaled mobile version while still putting all the effects and assets into the more powerful versions.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Wouldn't a remake be remaking the games on a completely new engines using modern visuals?

Like bluepoint games.

This is more like an enhanced remaster, no?
It's remade in Unreal Engine 4. The old trilogy used RenderWare. Look at the comparison pictures - it's clearly remade.

Not much of a difference (SotC Vs. GTA).

Just because R* went for the 'classic look', it's still a remake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom