• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

MattDoza

Man, I just realized I'm not even really going to mess with MP cause there's no way in hell I'm paying for XBL gold. Stupid pay walls.

Ill ask in here since y'all my bros and sis'.

What TV do you have?

I'm in the market for a new one to enjoy GTA V goodness.
Debating whether or not to go living room size or one to stick on my desk.

This 720 on my Mac via Kanex XD is not cutting it.

Fjordson

I have a 55 inch Samsung LED (has 3D also, but I never use it). I can't even remember the model number. Got a decent deal on it from my wife's cousin who works at Fry's.

I've had HDTV's before it, but never a really nice one, and never one above like 40 inches, so I decided to just go for it and get a high quality one with some decent size. Looks great with blu-rays and games so I'm happy with it so far.

Me too (as BigWeather), looking forward to October 1st!

Have you guys seen this guys covers of the GTA theme songs on Youtube? There're freaking amazing.
Here's a few: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zOBty9JKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9-vRZTOls

Wow, those are amazing!

What TV do you have?

I'm in the market for a new one to enjoy GTA V goodness.
Debating whether or not to go living room size or one to stick on my desk.

This 720 on my Mac via Kanex XD is not cutting it.

An old Samsung DLP, 65" I think? It just keeps ticking, though I'd love to mount a super thin LED on the wall...

lem0n

Been lurking for over a year. Finally able to post what I've been waiting to post:

Hi :)

Huge GTA fanatic, body is beyond ready for V. Got 3 days off of work, even.

Been lurking for over a year. Finally able to post what I've been waiting to post:

Hi :)

Huge GTA fanatic, body is beyond ready for V. Got 3 days off of work, even.
As if 3 days is enough...:p

I'm in college, but thank god, it worked out that this semester, I don't have classes on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Have you guys seen this guys covers of the GTA theme songs on Youtube? There're freaking amazing.
Here's a few: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zOBty9JKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9-vRZTOls

Wow, he's done all the post-3 mainline console games + expansions and they're all spot on. I wish the themes were longer, but I guess you barely heard them in the past games anyway. Vice City is so good.

Can't wait for V's OST. Rockstar never fails to deliver on original soundtracks.

UrbanRats

What TV do you have?

Sony KDL-55EX500, Bought on January of 2011.
I was very lucky to find it on offer, since it was exactly the model i was looking for (i asked on an home threater/TV/whatever forum, since i'm no expert).
I'm very happy with it.
I don't if i would've bit at full price, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so, last time i spoke about colors and art direction in (a couple of screens from) GTAV, i got some people worked up, so this time i'll say upfront: This is just a personal and subjective opinion, or should i say, more of a random reflection i want to share with y'all GTA bros&sis.

I was looking at the trailers the other day, and i was thinking how i wish R* would push saturation, contrast and brightness a bit more (whether it's more or less realistic, i really don't care).
So i tried it with Photoshop, and i have to say i kinda dig it, though sometimes it works more than others, and i was too lazy to spend time and fine tune shit, so in a few it may be a touch extreme.
Here's some examples:

ibvKsbUiLCqI2v.gif
iN68Au5Mn4YFy.gif

ibls7hS3NYid6x.gif
ibhwrSz2z6n5JH.gif

iii32Fh1JX8Sm.gif
ibaLMIf4gcdExy.gif

iO2LT00WLaXkK.gif
ibo6BF7hEbs4P4.gif

iboIQfG0buhCIf.gif
iuCSlzqNpSjZe.gif

Left is vanilla, right is with saturation, contrast and brightness increased.

As far as TVs go, I'd only sit (at most) 3-4 feet away.
Anything further is hard on my eyes and I strain. (Even on big HDTVs).

I'm worried about buying one for my desk and it not impressing.
I'm unsure if my monitor upscales the 720 or not.

I'm a frugal bastard.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just a heads up. There is a BritGAF crew for anyone from the UK and ROI looking to play with folks in a similar timezone. Can be either PS3 or X360, doesn't matter which, all are represented.

Feel free to sign up here.

lem0n

Thanks for the welcome, fellas!

My TV is a 42'' Vizio- it's 1080p/120hz. Bought for $300 locally, last year. Private sale. Couldn't be happier- it's picture is miles better than my old Haier 32".

There is a bit of input lag, but I've since adjusted to it for fast FPS online and all that. I've got the picture perfect now, as well.

For the gamer on a budget, I highly recommend.

UrbanRats

Is it too soon to whip together a list of movies to get ready for GTAV?

I mean Heat, Collateral, Thief, The Driver,
Drive
, Miami Vice (imma watch this even if it's in Miami) and whatever else you guys want to propose.

We did it for RDR in 2010.

Drive
, Miami Vice (imma watch this even if it's in Miami) and whatever else you guys want to propose.

You've got the big ones right there. Especially happy to see Miami Vice included. I do love Rockstar's love of the Mann.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Drive

Would Reservoir Dogs be appropriate?

Fjordson

Drive

Maybe The Town? It's not as good as some of those, but I liked it.

Drive

Add Point Break, To Live & Die in LA, & The Town.

And if you're pushing it add Ronin, Inside Man, and The Score.

I'd also add The Killing by Stanley Kubrick. Awesome film noir heist movie (and a big influence on Tarantino for Reservoir Dogs).

I was thinking of saying The Killing, and movies like Rififi and Le Circle Rouge which have amazing old school heist scenes, but I tried to stick more to that contemporary GTA vibe.

But sure, watch all those as well because they're classics.

True, it is somewhat different. I think it's just on my mind because I just got the Criterion blu-ray a few weeks ago :lol

And come to think of it, Thief isn't all that far removed from those 50s and 60s noir-heist thrillers mentioned above.

UrbanRats, watch all of those too. Go crazy.

Add Point Break, To Live & Die in LA, & The Town.

And if you're pushing it add Ronin, Inside Man, and The Score.

Drive

Thanks for reminding me. Got to watch Collateral and The Town again. And uh...never saw Heat, always wanted to. Is it on Netflix?

Fuck the Town.

Go see The Friends of Eddie Coyle instead. It's the movie Affleck Dan Housered when he made The Town.

I can barely see the map while on my bed. I'm worried GTAV's map will be small as shit on the television as well.
What do yo mean barely see the map? I sit like 1 ft away haha

UrbanRats

And come to think of it, Thief isn't all that far removed from those 50s and 60s noir-heist thrillers mentioned above.

UrbanRats, watch all of those too. Go crazy.

Fuck the Town.

Go see The Friends of Eddie Coyle instead. It's the movie Affleck Dan Housered when he made The Town.

What do yo mean barely see the map? I sit like 1 ft away haha

Yup, listed those too.
Tomorrow is the 1st.
17 days, if i manage to watch a film a day i should make it, besides, despite what the R* support dude told me, i'm not confident the game will arrive here precisely on the 17th, so..

I bet that's tough.

To be honest I never use the HUD only for health but I might prefer it removed entirely.
The GPS tells you where to until you get a concept of the city.

I really, really hope they've figured out a better way to being up the full sized map. If I have to press start, etc and wait for that shit I will be tremendously disappointed.

sytadel

Just throwing my hat in the ring one more time...

Grand Theft Auto [OT] Next-gen. If you want my advice, give this shit up.

Madness

As far as TVs go, I'd only sit (at most) 3-4 feet away.
Anything further is hard on my eyes and I strain. (Even on big HDTVs).

I'm worried about buying one for my desk and it not impressing.
I'm unsure if my monitor upscales the 720 or not.

I'm a frugal bastard.

Unless you plan on getting a top of the line LED model, you'd be best served going with like a Panasonic plasma. I know people still have 'doubts' about plasma and are worried about burn in, but you can't beat the image quality and price.

Do some research on the model you like, read some reviews, check out avsforum. Lots of knowledgeable guys there. Also remember, the way they have televisions set up in the stores, they purposely put it on dynamic will full back light etc. (worked two years best buy Canada hone theatre), so keep that in mind, switch the settings, fool around with the models, etc.

Me personally, I have a 42" Panasonic 3D plasma in my room, and have a 55" Samsung LED 8000...

Gangxxter

I'm currently replaying Vice City and damn, those vigilante and firefighter side missions are hard, really a pain in the ass. I didn't remember them that difficult, in fact I never had any problems with those missions in the past.

I'm currently replaying Vice City and damn, those vigilante and firefighter side missions are hard, really a pain in the ass. I didn't remember them that difficult, in fact I never had any problems with those missions in the past.

Vice City is significantly harder than San Abdreas. I basically never failed a mission in SA unless it was one of the classic missions like zero or follow the train cj, but when replaying vc I died constantly. The enemy gun fire is unforgiving and if you don't have armor you have no chance once enemies get real weapons

Raptomex

Vice City is significantly harder than San Abdreas. I basically never failed a mission in SA unless it was one of the classic missions like zero or follow the train cj, but when replaying vc I died constantly. The enemy gun fire is unforgiving and if you don't have armor you have no chance once enemies get real weapons
GTA III was definitely harder than both. Especially since the aiming isn't as tight or refined as the sequels.

Top Bottom