• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport running at 8K 120FPS and possibly on a PS5 Dev Kit

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I would LOVE a 60fps mandate on all next gen games, utterly love it...

However that would mean the graphical leap wouldn’t be as huge, and this people would “see” no need to upgrade. Sadly to make all games mandatory 60fps, you sort of need a generation of consoles where you will accept that visuals won’t improve dramatically :(

A PS5 devkit that's far more powerful than the best PC hardware available today? Come on, OP...
Kfwtw3T.png

onQ123

A PS5 devkit that's far more powerful than the best PC hardware available today? Come on, OP...

Not saying that PS5 Devkits keen do GTS at 8K 120FPS but it wouldn't have to be more powerful than the best PC hardware to achieve this , we already know they are working on cheaper rendering tech & we also know that MS is working on frame rate doubling tech from PS4 Pro & Xbox One X so you never know how far they will take these advances when the new hardware is released that's not tied down to older software.

MilkyJoe

Not saying that PS5 Devkits keen do GTS at 8K 120FPS but it wouldn't have to be more powerful than the best PC hardware to achieve this , we already know they are working on cheaper rendering tech & we also know that MS is working on frame rate doubling tech from PS4 Pro & Xbox One X so you never know how far they will take these advances when the new hardware is released that's not tied down to older software.

Maybe if they use half-precison floating points to double the tflop count?

It's 2012 again

My Xbox One X runs Forza 7 4k 60 fps the PS5 better damn sure run it.
Seriously. The X does it already, and while the IQ standard keeps moving up it’s still such an exaggeration to predict we’ll be lucky if the next gen can run 4K/60. However, we’ll be lucky if devs prioritize 60. That’s a whole different matter.

Kreydo

You need a $2000 PC to run game with full detail at 4k 60+ FPS, and the PS5 will do 8k 120FPS? ...

Yeah sure, those console only user are so delusional.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I think Ridge racer and flower ran at 1080p lol

Yup, spot on. Playing Doom on the one x in 4k is absolutely jaw dropping stuff. I think 4k is the sweet spot for image clarity. Going back to 1080p feels like a blurry mess in comparison.
In the old days, the CPU did everyhting, then earl;y GPU's released that weren't great but helped the CPU with high powered games (like Quake, Unreal, etc). As time went buy, GPU's become more and more powerful, and took more and more stress away from CPU's. Thats why you will sometimes see someone have a 1080ti paired with an old I5 or I7, because the GPU does most of the graphics rendering now. CPU's are more for physics and AI, and helping with framerate.
A GPU is the 'engine', the CPU is the car driver.
I think he is on about how the CU's can be used to process data that would normally be done on a cpu, like physics or ai.

TLZ

Banned
You need a $2000 PC to run game with full detail at 4k 60+ FPS, and the PS5 will do 8k 120FPS? ...

Yeah sure, those console only user are so delusional.
It's been said numerous times in this thread already, and a couple posts above yours, and I'll say it too:

The Xbox One X runs Forza 7 at 4k 60 fps, using 6Tf, and it costs $500, even cheaper during Black Friday.

I have a feeling most of the complaints are coming from PC guys.

It's been said numerous times in this thread already, and a couple posts above yours, and I'll say it too:

The Xbox One X runs Forza 7 at 4k 60 fps, using 6Tf, and it costs $500, even cheaper during Black Friday.

So you think going from 60fps to 120fps is a small feat? Think about what you are saying, the more expensive mid upgrade console that just came out a year ago that elevated the price of a $399 system a year prior to $499 is going to release in likely less than 2 years will not only double the 4K output but also double the frame rate and still be $499 or less? The PS4 Pro just came out 2 years ago and couldn't even get GT Sport to do native 4k but a new system will at 8K and 120fps? Hey, sign me up.

Last edited:

Kreydo

At $399 too, with a bundled in controller and game. And Sony will still make a profit.

You guys keep coming with Forza... but do you have a single AAA game on console that run at 4k 60FPS? Also majority of those 4K are bullshit it's just upscaling...
The actual console gen barely manage to do 1080p at constant 60 FPS, so please.

makaveli60

I'm a console player and sick of the "pc master race" (which doesn't mean every pc player, of course), but you are really living in a dream world if you think any nextgen console will play such a game at 8k resolution paired with 120fps.

TLZ

Banned
You guys keep coming with Forza... but do you have a single AAA game on console that run at 4k 60FPS? Also majority of those 4K are bullshit it's just upscaling...
The actual console gen barely manage to do 1080p at constant 60 FPS, so please.
Because Forza is a racing game, just like the game used in OP. I can't compare it to another genre and can only compare it to a similar game from the same genre.

Forza 7 is native 4k too.

So you think going from 60fps to 120fps is a small feat? Think about what you are saying, the more expensive mid upgrade console that just came out a year ago that elevated the price of a $399 system a year prior to $499 is going to release in likely less than 2 years will not only double the 4K output but also double the frame rate and still be $499 or less? The PS4 Pro just came out 2 years ago and couldn't even get GT Sport to do native 4k but a new system will at 8K and 120fps? Hey, sign me up.
Well according to this https://www.tweaktown.com/news/57981/forza-7-hits-native-4k-60fps-xbox-one-70-gpu/index.html, Forza 7 is only using 70% and it still hits native 4k and 60fps. Wouldn't it be possible to run the same current gen Forza 7 game on next gen Xbox, that has possibly, at least, twice the TF and a much better CPU, in 8k120?

Last edited:

Kreydo

Forza 7 is native 4k too.
Fair enough, but then the whole argument about buying a $500 console for 4k 60FPS gaming is irelevant since only one game, in only one genre manage to do it.
Nobody actualy buy a 4k console for a signle game.
People have to stop to believe their console deliver native 4K, most of the players don't even use a proper HDMI 2.0 cable on their 4k TV...

I'm pretty sure last gen AAA don't even run at 4k 60FPS on the actual console gen... Like Skyrim who run at 30 FPS on XboxOneX..............

I have a PS4 Pro, and I also spent thousand of $ in a PC gaming station, because i know very well what those console are capable of, I did not throw my money away just to shame console on forums.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Fair enough, but then the whole argument about buying a $500 console for 4k 60FPS gaming is irelevant since only one game, in only one genre manage to do it.
Nobody actualy buy a 4k console for a signle game.
People have to stop to believe their console deliver native 4K, most of the players don't even use a proper HDMI 2.0 cable on their 4k TV...

I'm pretty sure last gen AAA don't even run at 4k 60FPS on the actual console gen... Like Skyrim who run at 30 FPS on XboxOneX..............

I have a PS4 Pro, and I also spent thousand of $ in a PC gaming station, because i know very well what those console are capable of, I did not throw my money away just to shame console on forums.
Well yeah different games demand different power. I don't think anyone is saying all games will run at 8k120. Maybe very little, and would be last gen games too.

I would imagine, and hope, next gen games play in 4k60/30 easily.

Kreydo

PS5 dev kit = PC with 1080Ti or 2080Ti.
I doubt it... The PS5 will be more closer to a RTX 2070 in term of performance imo, which is less powerfull than a 1080 TI, and still a $500 GPU who CANT run AAA game at 4k 60FPS.

Like i said console user are totally misinformed by bullshit.
Also the very few 4K 60FPS games on console, only run on the medium/low detail setting of a PC version, for exemple BFV.

A concerned "gamer" about perf and tech would always rather play on QHD res 2560x1440 at 120FPS, than at 3,840x2,160 60FPS.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don't understand all the 8K hate. It's coming, and we've known about it for many, many years. However, the technology may be as much as a decade away from being mainstream. GFS, we still struggle to get 1080p broadcasts, even with sports.

However, 8K is going to be great for those 65+ inch displays, but I'll be surprised if 8k content becomes standard within the next 15 years.

I don't understand all the 8K hate. It's coming, and we've known about it for many, many years. However, the technology may be as much as a decade away from being mainstream. GFS, we still struggle to get 1080p broadcasts, even with sports.

However, 8K is going to be great for those 65+ inch displays, but I'll be surprised if 8k content becomes standard within the next 15 years.

I don’t think anyone hates the idea of 8k, at all. Not sure why you said that.

I think most people are pointing out how ridiculous it is to expect 8k/120fps on the PS5 when native 4K/30 isn’t even a standard thing yet.

You said yourself, we are about 15 years ahead of ourselves. In general, sure bring on 8k displays and 8k gaming content, I want the best looking experience possible. Of course displays are going to keep getting better and better.

Last edited:
Calling bs. We'll be lucky if we get 4k/60fps next gen. And I'm not even looking forward to it yet since this gen has been mostly full of disappointment and unnecessary remasters.

We just gonna jump to the "next gen" and remaster everything again while we wait for new games? Fuck that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
PS5 dev kit = PC with 1080Ti or 2080Ti.
There is nothing that indicates this, whatsoever. Devkits already were in use before 2080Ti was even announced. Furthermore, AMD is most likely to serve as the APU maker again with Ryzen cores and Radeon GPU's - Meaning no Geforce.

Typically dev kits are more powerful than the final console spec.
So? That still says absolutely nothing in relation to your prior post. Yeah, they typically have more memory and more oomph. So?

x86-x64** ;)

Guys... it's not a PS5 devkit. Move on.
I am already wondering why this thread reached 4 pages to start with.

Dontero

Banned
I will just leave it here:

3 PS3s running GT5 as one game 3 monitor setup each displaying ~1080p.
Not only it had 3 monitor setup but you could connect your PSeye and also track your face for head movement (though it was not optimal)

Them making 8k and 120hz is just taking 4 consoles and splitting image in 1/4.

Polyphone has been doing things like this for a good while.

Few good years back when you couldn't even buy normally 4k Tvs they had 120hz 4k setup with 4 ps3s.

Magik85

I will just leave it here:

Them making 8k and 120hz is just taking 4 consoles and splitting image in 1/4.

Erm nope.....8K is resulution 4 times higher than 4K . Theres currently no console running GTS in 4K.
The pro is running it in checkerboarded 1800p. So it has similar number of pixels as native 1440p.
Its exactly 2 880.000 pixels ( 4k is - 8 294.400).
Native 8K is 31 881.600 pixels....11 times more than PS4pro is displaying in GTS. And to have 120 fps youd have to double that number...

thelawof4

Erm nope.....8K is resulution 4 times higher than 4K . Theres currently no console running GTS in 4K.
The pro is running it in checkerboarded 1800p. So it has similar number of pixels as native 1440p.
Native 8K is 31 881.600 pixels....11 times more than PS4pro is displaying in GTS. And to have 120 fps youd have to double that number...
Get outta here with your facts!

AnotherOne

Did anyone even ask for 8k? 4k isn't even the standard yet... I planned on getting a c9 this year but feel silly forking out thousands knowing its outdated already since it's only 4k.

onQ123

Get outta here with your facts!

But that's actually not a fact , Checkerboard 4K is the exact same number of pixels as 4K but not all of the pixels are rendered in the traditional way.

Dontero

Banned
But that's actually not a fact , Checkerboard 4K is the exact same number of pixels as 4K but not all of the pixels are rendered in the traditional way.

That is like saying intelaced image has same amount of pixels but they are "not displayed like normally"

Dontero

Banned

Not necesairly. For one no one knows if it was actually locked 120fps. If you would unlock GTS 100% it would run 80-90fps because it almost never drops any frame which means actual performance should be way higher to cover those drops. They could easily push down FPS and bump up res to have native 4k and drop frames which would be nothing unheard of for Polyphony, they could filddle with scene they were using for it, they could lower some extensive elements of graphics which cost inscrease a lot with resolution etc.. If PS4Pro could hit 4k natively which should be doable for them they could just stack up 4 of them and split rendering like they did in GT5.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

So because it almost never drops frames its running a whole 30fps above the locked target?

I run Forza Horizon 4 at a locked 30fps in native 4k with all the bells and whistles and it never drops a single frame. Unlocked it only runs 10fps or so more and thats very rare.

If they had a whole 30fps more budget to play with do you not think the reflections would have been cleaned up?

thelawof4

What has any of this console-cluster stuff to do with the ps5 dev kit? Some of you are talking about irrelevant semantics.

The PS5 will not run AAA games at an actual real uncompressed 3840x2160 at 60FPS.

Whitecrow

Banned
So because it almost never drops frames its running a whole 30fps above the locked target?

I run Forza Horizon 4 at a locked 30fps in native 4k with all the bells and whistles and it never drops a single frame. Unlocked it only runs 10fps or so more and thats very rare.

If they had a whole 30fps more budget to play with do you not think the reflections would have been cleaned up?
Maybe not 30 fps more, but the difference is sure big enough if it never drops below the target.

Dontero

Banned

Yes if some game has rock solid 30/60fps then it means if it had unlocked framerate it could easily go 50% higher if not more. Because at worst situtions it runs MINIMUM 60fps. Usually there is quite the difference between minimums and maximums in every game.

Top Bottom