• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport running at 8K 120FPS and possibly on a PS5 Dev Kit

Stuart360

Can you throw me a link?
I’m interested to hear why it would be split evenly. I can understand in todays climate due to having a poor base CPU to work with but outside of that I would expect CPU to start taking that work back as the CPU becomes more powerful.
A link,?, its common knowledge. like i said, thats why some X and Pro versions run at 60fps compared to 30fps on the base consoles. Do you think the slight overclock of an already crap cpu that the X and Pro have caused the higher framerate?

bitbydeath

A link,?, its common knowledge. like i said, thats why some X and Pro versions run at 60fps compared to 30fps on the base consoles. Do you think the slight overclock of an already crap cpu that the X and Pro have caused the higher framerate?

That’s what GPGPU does. It allows for CPU tasks such as framerate to be passed through the GPU which is how we get framerate increases with a larger GPU.

Stuart360

That’s what GPGPU does. It allows for CPU tasks such as framerate to be passed through the GPU which is how we get framerate increases with a larger GPU.
Dude a GPGPU is a GPU, its just another name for it, its actually a GPU's correct name, 'General purpose graphics procesing unit'.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Dude a GPGPU is a GPU, its just another name for it, its actually a GPU's correct name, 'General purpose graphics procesing unit'.

No, it is part of the GPU but not the GPU.
Here's a broader definition.

A general-purpose GPU (GPGPU) is a graphics processing unit (GPU) that performs non-specialized calculations that would typically be conducted by the CPU (central processing unit). Ordinarily, the GPU is dedicated to graphics rendering.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/GPGPU-general-purpose-graphics-processing-unit

Stuart360

It’s the method on a GPU that allows for CPU functionality. Without it the GPU would be restricted to Graphical processing only.
Exactly, thats what a GPU is. You have to remember that we didnt have GPU's until the early 90's, before then the cpu had to do everything.
Look trust me on this, or ask someone else who knows, you obviously dont by the way you're talking. The whole point of GPU's coming out in the first place was to help the CPU run high powered games, because the CPU had to do everything before GPU's.

bitbydeath

Exactly, thats what a GPU is. You have to remember that we didnt have GPU's until the early 90's, before then the cpu had to do everything.
Look trust me on this, or ask someone else who knows, you obviously dont by the way you're talking. The whole point of GPU's coming out in the first place was to help the CPU run high powered games, because the CPU had to do everything before GPU's.

I’m just interested in the details is all, just hearing it is cause hearsay isn’t enough. I’d rather know what exactly the GPU performs that can lead to increasing the framerate that the CPU can’t do.

Stuart360

I’m just interested in the details is all, just hearing it is cause hearsay isn’t enough. I’d rather know what exactly the GPU performs that can lead to increasing the framerate that the CPU can’t do.
In the old days, the CPU did everyhting, then earl;y GPU's released that weren't great but helped the CPU with high powered games (like Quake, Unreal, etc). As time went buy, GPU's become more and more powerful, and took more and more stress away from CPU's. Thats why you will sometimes see someone have a 1080ti paired with an old I5 or I7, because the GPU does most of the graphics rendering now. CPU's are more for physics and AI, and helping with framerate.
A GPU is the 'engine', the CPU is the car driver.

bitbydeath

In the old days, the CPU did everyhting, then earl;y GPU's released that weren't great but helped the CPU with high powered games (like Quake, Unreal, etc). As time went buy, GPU's become more and more powerful, and took more and more stress away from CPU's. Thats why you will sometimes see someone have a 1080ti paired with an old I5 or I7, because the GPU does most of the graphics rendering now. CPU's are more for physics and AI, and helping with framerate.
A GPU is the 'engine', the CPU is the car driver.

So in this analogy the driver starts the car which turns the wheels/frames. We can say the imagery of the frames/wheels are gpu but the physical movement/frame rate is the CPU still correct?

At which point does the driver become only GPU bound?

Stuart360

So in this analogy the driver starts the car which turns the wheels/frames. We can say the imagery of the frames/wheels are gpu but the physical movement/frame rate is the CPU still correct?

At which point does the driver become only GPU bound?
It depends on the game, some games are CPU limited, some GPU limited, some prety even between the 2. You need both the cpu and gpu though. You can get some games that use tons of GPU but hardly any CPU, and vice vesa, its all down to the devs, but both the cpu and gpu are framerate locked to varying degrees.

they aren't using 4k assets. so ofcourse they run well in that forza showing on PC

back few years ago a 290 could run 4k resolution on games from 2010-2013. they didn't have 4k assets

once you introduce 8k assets. which i doubt anyone will do next gen. the performance needed is much higher. so its 8k of internally upscaled texutures and its not native 8k.

its probably same deal in that demo for GT. its upscaled in engine 8k gameplay. 8k textures would use an immense amount of memory bandwidth that I don't think any GPU has half of.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Sony should just forget about ever having better racing games, Microsoft has that field sewn up unless they were to screw it up somehow in the future.

You have already been warned for these kinds of posts. Why are you in this thread? Be careful otherwise you could get a ban. There are plenty of Forza threads to post in.

Stuart360

You have already been warned for these kinds of posts. Why are you in this thread? Be careful otherwise you could get a ban. There are plenty of Forza threads to post in.
He gets a ban warning for that, yet TheLastWord gets away with constant console war shite in every thread.

Whitecrow

Banned
Throw to a scene 40 npcs with amazingly ccomplex AI and it will run at 10 fps with an i7 8th gen.

Throw 99999999 billions of polygons to a tetris game, and it will run at 10 fps in a 2080ti.

Fps are related to the tasks each component of the chain have and if they can handle them.

Last edited:

CuNi

OMG dude, READ the link you posted, it even explains it on there. GPGPU is just a GPU's full name.

GPGPU is not a GPU's full name. Rather the term GPU's is being adopted as a replacement for graphics card. But older GPU's, specifically without CUDA were not GPGPU's. GPGPU's were introduced with programmable shaders, physic etc. So while all modern graphics cards indeed are GPGPU's, there is still a distinct difference between a original GPU and a GPGPU.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The reason the X and Pro can run the same games at a higher resllution on the same or barely any different CPU is because with an increase in image fidelity there’s a negligible increase in CPU load most of the time. This can of course be a variable with regard to certain cases, for example pushing out LODs may increase the distance certain physics based or CPU cycle intensive assets are culled.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
GPGPU is not a GPU's full name. Rather the term GPU's is being adopted as a replacement for graphics card. But older GPU's, specifically without CUDA were not GPGPU's. GPGPU's were introduced with programmable shaders, physic etc. So while all modern graphics cards indeed are GPGPU's, there is still a distinct difference between a original GPU and a GPGPU.

If you want to be pedantic, people were doing non graphics computation well before CUDA was introduced. It had no special programming model and it had no HW assistance so to speak, but you could be doing math nonetheless. How would you call using a texture matrix to calculate whether or not the projector is back projecting, or to avoid projecting on a back face, etc...

Being able to run pixel shaders with more or less arbitrary math and control flow made it jump to yet another level, CUDA and similar approaches formalised a proper programming model (SIMT, the “scalar” approach so to speak where you work on lots of pixels in parallel with the same instructions thus creating a serial looking workflow essentially), and compute shaders and accelerations of it in HW (async compute, multi queues, etc...) are pushing boundaries even more.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can't these guy stop with the 8K talk now

I just bought my 4K TV 5 months ago

Next console are not ready for 8K anyway

ZywyPL

Banned
Remember that GT5 showcase, which merged four PS3 together to run GT5 in either 4K or 240FPS?
https://gizmodo.com/5094334/ps3-tech-demo-runs-gran-turismo-5-in-2160p-or-240-fps

I think it's safe to assume they used the exact same tech, only with multiple PS4/Pro instead. Because let's be real - GTS runs in QHD on Pro, so it would need 6-8TF to run it in native 4K, times 4 to bumb it up to 8K, and then times 2 again to boost FPS to 120, that's effectively 48-64TF of GPU computing power, that's basically Nvidia DGX station performance level, and there's no chance on earth that next-gen consoles will come remotely close to that.

PS. First post on GAF, hi everyone! :)

Well gpu is like cpu it refers to the main chip doing the processing. Graphics cards also includes ram and other structural components that accompany the gpu to connect to the motherboard.

AMD doesn't have CUDA, as you say while older gpus could be forced to do nongraphic related tasks, after programmable shaders, pixel shaders and vertex shaders, and later unified shaders came into the picture, both the hardware as well as the software were adapted to facilitiate gpgpu tasks. Both OpenCL as well as CUDA vastly facilitate programming gpus for gpgpu tasks.

This is either supersampled 6K with 60 or 90fps retro-projection, or a big pile of lie since neither a PS5 nor a 2080ti can run it.

It doesn't matter, has no-one notice there's a mixed of precalculated volumetric raytracing and real-time reflection raytracing?

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Please tell me no one here actually believes PS5 will "target" 8K.

I refuse to believe that even with the members left here there's anyone that...

I don't wanna use rude words because it's not very nice, but yeah.

I expect 8k/120, 16k/60, and 32k/30 options.

(I’m kidding. Also I don’t know what your post is trying to imply.)

bitbydeath

No, they won't target 8K.
This is just about showing the potential power of the PS5.
The devs will no doubt target 4K as standard and push all they can into bringing us next gen graphics.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No, they won't target 8K.
This is just about showing the potential power of the PS5.
The devs will no doubt target 4K as standard and push all they can into bringing us next gen graphics.

Potential power? What do you mean?

This is nothing but a tech demo. Straight up.

They did the same thing on PS3 with GT5 running at 4K/120 many many years ago.

This has literally nothing to do with PS5.

bitbydeath

That was said to be powered by four PS3’s.
This is said to be powered by a single PS5.

Looks good from what I can see and it’s funny we are messing with 8k when 4K isn’t even remotely close to mainstream yet.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Given that the final specs of the PS5 wouldn't even be locked down, I very much doubt that.

Well all we can do without inside information is speculate. The guy who brought the video said it was from PS5 and considering they have a video and we have... nothing, makes it news worthy.

Three

GT5 ran at 240fps not 120. I don't think we will get 120fps anywhere but we saw a 4K tech demo on GT5 and then got 4k consoles the following gen.

The chances PS5 can run GT Sport at 16 times base PS4 resolution and twice the frame rate are zero, nothing, nada. This post is nonsense.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
GT5 ran at 240fps not 120. I don't think we will get 120fps anywhere but we saw a 4K tech demo on GT5 and then got 4k consoles the following gen.

No we didn't. We got mid gen refreshes kiiiiinda capable of 4K. The base consoles started struggling to hit 1080 as the gen wore on.

Duallusion

I'd prefer they'd get rid of pop-in, add extra IQ-related bells and whistles and just stick with 4K/60fps next-gen. Maybe 8Kc if they have any grunt left after that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
8K is unrealistic for PS5 or maybe even for PS6, but I hope that Sony and Microsoft won't again try to force the higher resolution as soon as possible. Give us 4K/60fps first!

Last edited:
Top Bottom