• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport running at 8K 120FPS and possibly on a PS5 Dev Kit

Three

Think of powerful a machine the Xbox one x is, no fanboy bullshit here, just how much power is there. 6tf+ right? That’s to run a game that looks like read dead at 4k at a wobbly 30fps.

Now do you really expect 8k, at a smooth frame rate, with BETTER visuals? On what sort of power? 20-30tf? And at what price? A brand new on its own 2080 card is what, 12-14tf? At like £500 or whatever? Soooo... are we doing the math here lol...?

Be happy with enhanced visuals, at 4k resolution, with the same average frame rate as games have now. And that’s fine for me, IMO.
I'm sorry but this is wrong. You can't use RDR2 here. It is an open world game that streams assets at 30fps. Forza 7 is 4k 60fps is it not? And that is a current gen game. Now imagine if you were running a last gen game on it. 8k is not some impossible feat for a PS4 game on PS5.

Edit: beaten to it by Heisenberg

Last edited:

A.Romero

" so the ps5 can push more power than a top of the line brand new GPU? " ???

That isn't a finite concept, that is dynamic and varies, ie what game are you talking about running that? So its not just POWER, for god sakes we could be talking about running tetris, so the most powerful GPU is needed to run tetris in 8k? So ONLY that power of a GPU can run 8k regardless of game? Does that make sense to you or?

As a PC gamer, its understood that what a game is running is based on many factors, the game itself, settings, the GPU, CPU etc. You don't just state a GPU and the conversations over. It makes no sense at all regarding how that is actually understood. So can the PS5 push more power then a brand new GPU? Probably, depends on the GPU. PC doesn't have GT Sport so you wouldn't even know based on PC specs how demanding it is or isn't to really even question if its easy to pull off.

Yeah, it's technically possible. However, would the 2080 TI (the most powerful GPU available today, I think) be able to run any decently looking game at that resolution and at 120 FPS? I doubt it. As far as I know, it doesn't break 100 FPS at 4K for any game (although it gets close). Let's assume there is linearity in the relationship between resolution and fps. 8K might be possible (at 60hz only btw) but I doubt that it could even be able to maintain 60 FPS for most games.

I get your point but how far ahead would the PS5 GPU need to be to pull those numbers? You would also need to limit your choices to GPU's within prices reasonable for a console (which should cost $600 tops if they want to push it).

I'm a big Sony fan and I've had all their consoles since they joined the industry but every time there is a new console coming, we experience speculation like this and every time we get carried away with the hype of the capabilities of new consoles. GTS is not an old game, is a current gen game and it looks pretty good. If anything, the PS5 might be able to push 8K for simpler games just as previous generation could push higher resolutions for indie games and minis.

I mean, PS4P can barely push native 4K for select games and not many of them (if any) can have both 4K and 60 FPS.

That said, very few TV's in the market can push true 120hz,today regardless of the resolution, I can't see 8K/120Hz TV's being common place in the next 10 years and I don't you would get the true benefit of 120FPS with a 60Hz capable screen.

We have had great games that don't get the best available resolution but still offer great art and picture quality. PS3 had few 1080P/30FPS games and some of those were remastered to PS4 as either 1080P/60FPS or 4K/30FPS. It would be a huge jump to have current games remastered to run 4K(native)/60PS on next gen, let alone 8K AND 120FPS.

I hope I'm wrong as one of the aspects of this hobby that I like the most is the tech aspect but I'm inclined to think there is less than 10% chance that this video is rendered in something equivalent to the PS5 or that we can expect this performance with a launch PS5.

Pallas

We are you getting the "8k 120fps" info from? I don't see it in that tweet...

Also wondering but say it really is 8K and 120fps, I highly doubt next gen will be like that. Dev kits are usually much more powerful than the consoles we get.

EDMIX

Yeah, it's technically possible. However, would the 2080 TI (the most powerful GPU available today, I think) be able to run any decently looking game at that resolution and at 120 FPS? I doubt it. As far as I know, it doesn't break 100 FPS at 4K for any game (although it gets close). Let's assume there is linearity in the relationship between resolution and fps. 8K might be possible (at 60hz only btw) but I doubt that it could even be able to maintain 60 FPS for most games.

I get your point but how far ahead would the PS5 GPU need to be to pull those numbers? You would also need to limit your choices to GPU's within prices reasonable for a console (which should cost $600 tops if they want to push it).

I'm a big Sony fan and I've had all their consoles since they joined the industry but every time there is a new console coming, we experience speculation like this and every time we get carried away with the hype of the capabilities of new consoles. GTS is not an old game, is a current gen game and it looks pretty good. If anything, the PS5 might be able to push 8K for simpler games just as previous generation could push higher resolutions for indie games and minis.

I mean, PS4P can barely push native 4K for select games and not many of them (if any) can have both 4K and 60 FPS.

That said, very few TV's in the market can push true 120hz,today regardless of the resolution, I can't see 8K/120Hz TV's being common place in the next 10 years and I don't you would get the true benefit of 120FPS with a 60Hz capable screen.

We have had great games that don't get the best available resolution but still offer great art and picture quality. PS3 had few 1080P/30FPS games and some of those were remastered to PS4 as either 1080P/60FPS or 4K/30FPS. It would be a huge jump to have current games remastered to run 4K(native)/60PS on next gen, let alone 8K AND 120FPS.

I hope I'm wrong as one of the aspects of this hobby that I like the most is the tech aspect but I'm inclined to think there is less than 10% chance that this video is rendered in something equivalent to the PS5 or that we can expect this performance with a launch PS5.

"2080 TI (the most powerful GPU available today, I think) be able to run any decently looking game at that resolution and at 120 FPS? I doubt it." Depends on the game.

Who is to say this is even going to be PS5? For all we know they are doing this for PS5 Pro...

ie PS5 having 4k for older titles that can support it, PS5 Pro having 8k for select titles.

All you have to do is just look at this gen. Yea PS4 Pro can do 4k native on select titles, but that would be the same as PS5 Pro doing 8k on select titles. The same will apply, simply different gen, different resolution, but same concept.

Put it this way. The Last Of Us is a last gen game, runs 4k native on PS4 Pro.

That would be like The Last Of Us 2 running 8k native on PS5 Pro. This gen it will likely run 4k on PS4 Pro, PS5 it could run clearly higher, PS5 Pro...could legit run it 8k.

That is the same idea behind a PS3 game like The Last Of Us running native 4k on PS4, many times a resolution jump then its original resolution on PS3.

Last edited:

Blam

This doesn't mean shit. It's a DEMO. For a Closed Loop racing game which can be heavily optimized.

Last edited:
"2080 TI (the most powerful GPU available today, I think) be able to run any decently looking game at that resolution and at 120 FPS? I doubt it." Depends on the game.

Who is to say this is even going to be PS5? For all we know they are doing this for PS5 Pro...

ie PS5 having 4k for older titles that can support it, PS5 Pro having 8k for select titles.

All you have to do is just look at this gen. Yea PS4 Pro can do 4k native on select titles, but that would be the same as PS5 Pro doing 8k on select titles. The same will apply, simply different gen, different resolution, but same concept.

Yeah, a game like Titanfall 2 is so finely tuned/optimized (I really think this game doesn’t get enough credit for how well it runs and looks) that I could see it hitting 8k in spots at 120hz with dynamic resolution. That game is so scalable.

A game like Just Cause 3/4? Probably never

Sony should just forget about ever having better racing games, Microsoft has that field sewn up unless they were to screw it up somehow in the future.

EDMIX

Yeah, a game like Titanfall 2 is so finely tuned/optimized (I really think this game doesn’t get enough credit for how well it runs and looks) that I could see it hitting 8k in spots at 120hz with dynamic resolution. That game is so scalable.

A game like Just Cause 3/4? Probably never

Agreed. Titanfall 2 such a underrated game this gen.

A.Romero

Put it this way. The Last Of Us is a last gen game, runs 4k native on PS4 Pro.

That would be like The Last Of Us 2 running 8k native on PS5 Pro. This gen it will likely run 4k on PS4 Pro, PS5 it could run clearly higher, PS5 Pro...could legit run it 8k.

That is the same idea behind a PS3 game like The Last Of Us running native 4k on PS4, many times a resolution jump then its original resolution on PS3.

I get your point, I just don't see it for a console. Could it be possible? Maybe, just highly unlikely.

I jumped on the PS4 early so I don't have a PS4P so I'm not sure but doesn't TLoU make you chose between running 1080P/60FPS or 4K/30FPS? If the same would apply here, the options would be 4K/60FPS or 8K/30 FPS for a remaster made by one of the best studios in the industry (in my opinion way better than Polyphony technically speaking).

I get your point, I just don't see it for a console. Could it be possible? Maybe, just highly unlikely.

I jumped on the PS4 early so I don't have a PS4P so I'm not sure but doesn't TLoU make you chose between running 1080P/60FPS or 4K/30FPS? If the same would apply here, the options would be 4K/60FPS or 8K/30 FPS for a remaster made by one of the best studios in the industry (in my opinion way better than Polyphony technically speaking).

TLoU lets you choose 1080/60, 1800p/uncapped (hovers beteeen 30 and 50ish), and 4k/30, yea

I really wish every game offered these three routes. Love having the options. The Show does this as well

bitbydeath

Keep in mind that is brute forcing from a GPU perspective.
The CPU in the PS4 is weaker than Cell. (PS3 CPU)
Nextgen should see increases in both, especially CPU wise.

ubisoft-cloth-simulation-ps4-vs-ps3.jpg

3105800-1376805576-29175.jpg

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Wasn’t the ps3 supposed to run all games at native 1080p / 120fps or some such bullshit lol?
Where was that said? The PS Eye supported framerates of 320 x 240 @ 120fps....I don't think anybody said PS3 would run games at 1080p 120fps....

A remaster of GT5 would probably run at 4k 60fps locked with better foliage, crowds, highest quality cars on screen throughout the grid, higher resolution textures, transparencies etc.....Better AA/AF, locked 60fps in replays at 4k.....MB in 4k mode etc......The game is already 8k ready, so it means 8k assets are already in there, so it can run in 8k too......People forget 10000 nits was already in there too........You don't need 40Tflops to make that happen, especially when you see what PD was able to do with 1.84TF at a locked 60fps with dynamic shadows etc......

120fps, speaks to VR.....Which will be the driver of high framerates and better optimization next gen......I've highlighted previously, that 8k will be a reality next gen.....and VR will also contribute to us seeing more of these high resolutions for non VR versions........You think PS5 will not be able to run Quake champions at 8k 120fps or Overwatch, Fortnite, Dirt 4, Doom, Wolfenstein etc...? Look at a game like Forza 7, that game already runs at 8k 60fps on current gen hardware (with 200% scaling from 4k)....

EDMIX

lol ok...

Your own example is very much suggesting its likely though. The Last Of Us was made on PS3 with cell in mind, The Last Of Us 2 is not...

Last edited:
I hope they fix the cooling solution for their next console as it's pretty clear the pro cant handle a 4k experience without sounding like a jet in your house.

Hopefully we get full weather/deformation with an upgraded gt sport

20cent

Banned
That's just upscaled and "upframed" to show off their top of the line TV specs.
If they can use some display tricks to improve the framerate, why not though.

onQ123

Elaborate please. You start to see depth? What?

You start to get a real sense of depth.

This is PR but it explains what I'm talking about

Ultra-high-resolution creates an almost 3D effect
Ultra-high-resolution images on a two-dimensional screen have such depth that they appear to be in 3D. When people look at something with both eyes, they perceive the scene as three dimensional based on how far away objects appear and how different near and distant objects appear.

This way that we look at the world around us can be faithfully reproduced by the ultra-high-resolution images of 8K UHD. Objects may be mere images on a screen, but the sense of depth we get from 8K UHD gives us a feeling of looking at the real thing. Everyone who watches 8K UHD agrees that it’s like looking out through an open window. That’s how real 8K UHD is. Clearly superior to current Full HD images, 8K UHD transports you inside the world on screen and makes you instinctively reach out and try to touch what’s in front of you.

http://www.sharp-world.com/aquos/en/8Ktech/

Shifty

You start to get a real sense of depth.

This is PR but it explains what I'm talking about

http://www.sharp-world.com/aquos/en/8Ktech/
Those are PR materials operating within 'artistic license' or whatever the equivalent of "we're allowed to lie to you within certain boundaries in order to sell our product" is in this context.

Curved lines will look really damn smooth at 8K, but it's still a flat image being received by both eyes with absolutely nil in the way of actual depth information. Depth perception requires either two separate image feeds offset laterally in the same way as human eyes are, or a physical medium that literally has depth, which current display technology does not.

There is zero science behind this "the feel of depth" nonsense outside of sly marketing.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I hope they fix the cooling solution for their next console as it's pretty clear the pro cant handle a 4k experience without sounding like a jet in your house.

Hopefully we get full weather/deformation with an upgraded gt sport

I can imagine the infomercial, be like (while screaming) "THE PS4 PRO IS ABLE, TO DELIVER, THE BEST 4K EXPERIENCE MONEY CAN BUY, IT BLOWS THE COMPETITION, RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER" (wind from PS4 Pro fan pushing him back)

danielberg

Neophyte
4k was already stupid because only ~2% have it and anyone else basically just got expensive aa out of it but 8k is indeed the dumbest crap i have ever heard in my life in terms of consoles. Makes 0 sense and all this crap is beyond stupid especially with the 120 fps claim, either the game looks like utter shit which makes 8k even more useless or this is a lie because not even the most expensive card you can buy right know gets any reasonable decent looking game at 120fps 8k resolution. So either way its a failure.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd imagine checkerboarding would scale extremely well with base resolution making it ideal for early adoption of 8k displays. If you consider how good the better implementations are at reconstructing 4k in terms of loss of image quality over native, doubling up should reduce the defecit even further due to the tighter dot-pitch.

onQ123

Those are PR materials operating within 'artistic license' or whatever the equivalent of "we're allowed to lie to you within certain boundaries in order to sell our product" is in this context.

Curved lines will look really damn smooth at 8K, but it's still a flat image being received by both eyes with absolutely nil in the way of actual depth information. Depth perception requires either two separate image feeds offset laterally in the same way as human eyes are, or a physical medium that literally has depth, which current display technology does not.

There is zero science behind this "the feel of depth" nonsense outside of sly marketing.

I explained that the quote was PR but it's talking about the real sense of depth that you get , I never read that quote until I googled it to use as a quick answer.

Stuart360

All this 8k talk like its actually happening. There will be games next gen that are not even 4k, nevermind 8k. In fact i doubt even PS6 will be 8k as standard.

nkarafo

Yeah, don't fix everything wrong about current panel technology. Just add more pixels because fat numbers.

Another generation, another showcase of motion blurring, input lag and (of course) sub 30fps, because we need more resolution.

Stuart360

Wouldn’t the framerate largely come from the CPU? So the GPU performance would be to just do the 8K portion. The 120FPS is CPU bound.
Forza 7 for example was able to reach 8K on PC with a single 1080ti.

Eh?, framerate is linked to both cpu and gpu. They both basically half when going from 60fps to 30fps on PC.

Wouldn’t the framerate largely come from the CPU? So the GPU performance would be to just do the 8K portion. The 120FPS is CPU bound.
Forza 7 for example was able to reach 8K on PC with a single 1080ti.

framerate is from both. its just that sometimes there is a bottleneck with one. incase of current consoles the CPU is too weak to get to 60 fps most of the time

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Eh?, framerate is linked to both cpu and gpu. They both basically half when going from 60fps to 30fps on PC.

It’d depend how the game is written though correct? It could target less GPU and more CPU if it were written that way as framerate is primarily CPU dependent unless routed through GPGPU... (Unless I’m mistaken)

Like the example I posted earlier about devs reducing CPU requirements by utilising the GPU with the amount of dancers they can get on screen.

Stuart360

It’d depend how the game is written though correct? It could target less GPU and more CPU if it were written that way as framerate is primarily CPU dependent unless routed through GPGPU... (Unless I’m mistaken)

Like the example I posted earlier about devs reducing CPU requirements by utilising the GPU with the amount of dancers they can get on screen.
Framerate is split between cpu and gpu pretty evenly, its not more cpu heavy, thats why some Pro and X games can run at 60fps compared to 30fps on the base consoles.

bitbydeath

Framerate is split between cpu and gpu pretty evenly, its not more cpu heavy, thats why some Pro and X games can run at 60fps compared to 30fps on the base consoles.

Do you know the detail? I thought logic/decisions of what’s processed and how would be 100% CPU unless otherwise rerouted through GPGPU? Obviously GPU would make up what is displayed but that is seperate to framerate.

Stuart360

Do you know the detail? I thought logic/decisions of what’s processed and how would be 100% CPU unless otherwise rerouted through GPGPU? Obviously GPU would make up what is displayed but that is seperate to framerate.
I dont know what you have been reading but its wrong, framerate is pretty evenly split between cpu and gpu, and if anything is more gpu heavy.

Raitoningu

Banned
The console will cost 400$ ffs...that won't buy you some alien technology, be grateful if Sony accept to lose some money on every unit to give it a little boost.

All these so called remors are bullshit

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I dont know what you have been reading but its wrong, framerate is pretty evenly split between cpu and gpu, and if anything is more gpu heavy.

Can you throw me a link?
I’m interested to hear why it would be split evenly. I can understand in todays climate due to having a poor base CPU to work with but outside of that I would expect CPU to start taking that work back as the CPU becomes more powerful.

Top Bottom