• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Serie(s) is in Decline this Generation. Can it Make a Resurgence?

I remember in Australia it went down to $19 After 2 months so there's lots of bargain basement purchases added in there.
I played it for a bit, Really bare bones and couldn't stand the handling (felt like a game from the late 90's)

Glad they added in rain to two tracks 3 years later! shows they're commuted to fleshing it out.

Dante83

Banned
The game left a bad first impression in many people. It launched bare bones, and some even called it the Street fighter V of racing games/sims (SFV's bare bones launch). GT sports did get a lot better with updates after updates, but I always feel that a good first impression matter to a lot of people. Hopefully GT7 impresses from the get go and stays consistent throughout.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like times have changed. Back in the PS1 and even PS2 days, people like me who don't really care about racing sims were buying these games because they were so cutting edge. It was cool to see what kinds of pretty visuals your shiny new piece of hardware could put on the screen.

We just have more to play and more high-tier graphics to flex our systems with now, so maybe it's just that only actual racing sim fans are buying racing sims.

Vawn

Banned
So now we make fun of series where they don't annualize the franchise? Much better to go the CoD, Madden, Assassin's Creed, Forza, FIFA model where you tweak each game and put them out every year to keep charging the same $60 over and over.

xrnzaaas

Given the current state of GTS they have what they need to build a great GT7 game for the PS5, they just have to avoid big fuckups like obsessing about one thing in the game and forgetting about other features.

Last edited:
Given the current state of GTS they have what they need to build a great GT7 game for the PS5, they just have to avoid big fuckups like obsessing about one thing in the game and forgetting about other features.
Drop the rally shit and expand more on making the game less sterile....I would say gt2/3 nailed this but it seems to of veered more towards looking at the cars than driving them.

LostDonkey

Its walked away from car culture. Something Forza embraces. Take a stock banger, tune it up, race it against your mates.

Not everyone wants to race online with official rules and regs and it feels very narrow in that sense. But I suppose thats what they were going for. The GT league mode doesnt fit either.

They need to get back to that whole car culture street scene normal working mans racing.

Last edited:

Zero909

Banned
imo i think Polygon can make a better game than GT SPORT but here is a thing the whole racing sim genre is in decline.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Its not just Gran Turismo problem but racing game in general is in decline..

Also...

Im not a big fan of GT Sport...

Even with the hate it receices that game still manage to sell like...how many units? 6 million?

Thats still quite alot for game that was destined to fail

GT fans want a real GT game not online based community game like Sport

Il be there somewhere if they announce GT7 for PS5

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
  • Forza Horizon series rise. It is INDISCUTILE that Forza Horizon become one of the best selling games from Microsoft and reached a size and success that Sony never saw with Gran Turismo and that probably helped to make gamers buy less and less Gran Turismo

Source?

Last edited:

n0razi

I think (younger) people are just less interested in cars and racing in general. When I was growing up, all I could think about was fast sports cars and racing and I spent hours tinkering in GT and Forza. During family gatherings, when I ask my younger cousins, nieces/nephews (age 14-16) if they are excited about getting their drivers license, most of them are like "meh." Just look at the sales trends of cars these days... no one buys manuals and most people just want a practical crossover. Sports cars are a dying niche.

Last edited:
Top Bottom