• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo is 25 years old, series total sales over 90 million

tommib

cxZW2IY.png
8w88HlY.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
I dunno why but I could never get into any Gran Turismo game ever, despite the fact that I love racing games (Grid Legends was my #1 most played game this year). I even bought a racing wheel recently because I always dreamed about one, and it feels great especially when combined with VR.

I just find Gran Turismo so incredibly dull, overhyped, overpriced, and up its own ass.

yurinka

So, we can finally do the math about sales of GT7?
what about gt sport though
In 2018 GT Sport was estimated to be at 8M by both a hedge fund and the GamStat (which did use PSN info and made pretty good estimates in most cases but not always) website.

That year Sony announced that the series had sold 80.4M, and maybe since they GTS sold around a million or being optimistic maybe a bit more.

GT Sport is now very likely between 9 and 10 million units sold. And GT7 it's almost there, should be at around 9M sold or pretty close even if it has been in the market only during a few months.

GT7 had the fastest selling launch in the series and is on track to be the best selling game ever in the series. GT3 has the record with almost 15M units sold.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Huge congratulations.

I have very fond memories of gran turismo 3 & 4 :)

Even did some of them silly endurance races to get the formula 1 cars in 3 and used the b spec mode to unlock some of old fashioned cars in gt4 :)

R6Rider

Gold Member
GT7 go the to buy a racing wheel for the first time in my life. The last time I had used one was on the PS1 for playing NASCAR games.

I also got the wheel with the high hopes of them adding PSVR2 support.

damidu

can’t believe i was intimidated from this franchise so long, thinking it would be an ultra realistic sim, requiring a home made cockpit or something.

jumped in at 7,
its has a sublime driving feel, plays like dream on dualsense.
honestly it killed every other racing game out there for me.
cant even touch arcade racers anymore.

hopefully new forza will deliver something comparable.

Azurro

Banned
I got GT7 on sale for 40 euro. I'm surprised, I have been playing it daily for at least half an hour. It's just fun collecting all of these cars and upgrading them.

Aenima

I "only" have more than 300 hours on GT7, and every time I take a break to play other games for some months and then go back to GT7 to see the new updated stuff, i get adicted to it again.
2 days ago was doing the new implemented races, and there was a race where i had do use a Silvia, i started the race with one of my stock Silvias from my garage, and notice some sick looking tuned Silvias the AI was using, and there i went to the tunning shop to spend some credits just to tune up my Silvia too. It ended up a sick looking monster of a car non stop spitting fire from the exaust.

DaringAmpleHousefly-size_restricted.gif

GT7 must now be close to the 10 million mark, i guess they will anounce it once they reach that mark.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I still remember popping into Funcoland before going to work, and they had the brand new Gran Turismo playing on a TV.

Holy shit, it was unlike anything I’d seen with those replays. Bought it on the spot and loved it.

I miss the days of having to earn shit. I mean really earn shit.

Last edited:

Markio128

I still remember popping into Funcoland before going to work, and they had the brand new Gran Turismo playing on a TV.

Holy shit, it was unlike anything I’d seen with those replays. Bought it on the spot and loved it.

I miss the days of having to earn shit. I mean really earn shit.
You may enjoy NFS Unbound. It really makes you work for your cars.
On topic though, after 200+ hours, I’ve still yet to buy 2 of the 3 legendary cars in GT7. In fact, I only bought the Ford Mark IV a couple of days ago. It’ll likely be another 100 hours before I save enough for the other 2!

Aenima

For all the complaining people did about this game about how “greedy” they were (which is not without some truth) its funny we don’t see similar articles about the amount of free updates they have been putting out since release.
Its an internet thing. Ppl are only vocal and make noise when thers something they dont like. When a studio fixes alot of those complains and keep delivering free content every month, is not worth it to make a big deal out of it anymore.

For how greedy Polyphony is in the mind of ppl that dont even own or played the game, i now own 222 cars, all diverent since, already sold the duplicates. Now count how many racing games out there even offer 200 cars to be able to play with.

Aenima

You may enjoy NFS Unbound. It really makes you work for your cars.
On topic though, after 200+ hours, I’ve still yet to buy 2 of the 3 legendary cars in GT7. In fact, I only bought the Ford Mark IV a couple of days ago. It’ll likely be another 100 hours before I save enough for the other 2!
If you need credits in GT7 for very expensive cars, farm the LeMans 30 minute race that pays around 850k credits with the clean race bonus, or the 60 minutes race in Spa that pays 1.5 millions with a clean race bonus. Can also just try to do gold in the circuit experience mode that pays alot. More than 40 million when u do them all, but some are hard, so depends on player skill.

Last edited:

Markio128

If you need credits in GT7 for very expensive cars, farm the LeMans 30 minute race that pays around 850k credits with the clean race bonus, or the 60 minutes race in Spa that pays 1.5 millions with a clean race bonus. Can also just try do to gold in the circuit experience mode that pays alot. More than 40 million when u do them all, but some are hard, so depends on player skill.
I’ve got the majority of golds in the circuit experience, but I’m not very frugal with my credits - I just buy all the cars I love, which is a lot, and I tend to improve them too. I may try those other races you mentioned. I still have a few of the longer races to complete.

On the flip-side, it feels nice to still have something to strive for, even after playing for 200+ hours.

Aenima

I’ve got the majority of golds in the circuit experience, but I’m not very frugal with my credits - I just buy all the cars I love, which is a lot, and I tend to improve them too. I may try those other races you mentioned. I still have a few of the longer races to complete.

On the flip-side, it feels nice to still have something to strive for, even after playing for 200+ hours.
I havent done the circuit experience races on gold yet, cuz i just need patience to git gud. Even so, i managed to earn 152 Million credits, which i already spent in pretty much all the cars i wanted. I used to do the 30 min LeMans race as my daily race to also get the daily workout complete. So was getting alot of credits from that race alone. I enjoy more the 60 min Spa race. It has a 24h day cicle with weather changes, to me the best race experience in the game.

Last edited:

Unknown?

saw this in this blog post

over 90 million sold for the series
Polyphony's founders remain working on GT today after 25 years
Polyphony have over 200 people

edit: rough quick fact check and math on series sales

GT1 11 million
GT2 9 million
GT3 15 million
GT4 12 million
GT PSP 5 million
GT5 12 million
GT6 6 million
PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP total ~ 70 million

so...
GTS ~ 10-15 million
GT7 ~ 5-10 million (and counting)
PS4 PS5 total ~ 20 million (and counting)
GT7 will likely reach all but GT3 in sells. GT5 doing so well is awesome, so many fanboys saying the series was over(and again when Sport launched) but the series has remained consistent.

jm89

saw this in this blog post

over 90 million sold for the series
Polyphony's founders remain working on GT today after 25 years
Polyphony have over 200 people

[/URL][/URL]

edit: rough quick fact check and math on series sales

GT1 11 million
GT2 9 million
GT3 15 million
GT4 12 million
GT PSP 5 million
GT5 12 million
GT6 6 million
PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP total ~ 70 million

so...
GTS ~ 10-15 million
GT7 ~ 5-10 million (and counting)
PS4 PS5 total ~ 20 million (and counting)
I'll be surprised if gts did that high numbers. Did they ever give the sales numbers? I remember we got player numbers but can't remember if they gave out sales number.

I think gt6 probably did a bit bigher as they stopped reporting the sales after that 6 mill figure and i wouldn't be surpised if they included prologue sales in the series total.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'll be surprised if gts did that high numbers. Did they ever give the sales numbers? I remember we got player numbers but can't remember if they gave out sales number.

I think gt6 probably did a bit bigher as they stopped reporting the sales after that 6 mill figure and i wouldn't be surpised if they included prologue sales in the series total.
We basically know that all the old GT games combined sold around 70 75 million across PS1 PS2 PS3 and PSP. Maybe like 72-73 million total at best. In April 2018 Kaz announced GT had sold over 80 million lifetime, so GT Sport sold ~ 5 million in its first 6 months. There had been a long wait with many skipping GT6, and the PS4 was a large install base by late 2017. So yes GTS sold quite well. Probably like 10 million lifetime. And now GT7 is selling well too.

Last edited:

jm89

We basically know that all the old GT games combined sold around 70 million across PS1 PS2 PS3 and PSP. Maybe like 72-73 million total at best. In April 2018 Kaz announced GT had sold over 80 million lifetime, so GT Sport sold ~ 7-10 million in its first 6 months. There had been a long wait with many skipping GT6, and the PS4 was a large install base by late 2017. So yes GTS sold quite well. And now GT7 is selling well too.
Oh yeah forgot GT6 was only ps3, so yeah it probably would have been around 6 million for the final sales.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Oh yeah forgot GT6 was only ps3, so yeah it probably would have been around 6 million for the final sales.
Ok so I was wrong, I found an article saying 75 million sold in 2015. So a few more than I'd thought.

So GT Sport and GT7 have sold over 15 million combined, basically. Probably like ~ 10/5 split.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I actually ended up really liking GT7. the whole SPORT debacle really soured me on the series and really just made me sad being a long time fan, but 7 pulled it back up again.

Arsic

Gold Member
My favorite PS5 game. I play it multiple times a week for hours at a time.

Never got into racing games, but this game got me to buy a G29 wheel and pedals, and dive into sim racing.

The GOAT.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I'll never forget when GT2 was released and the graphics were so amazing I called my mum into the room to show her. I told her that graphics couldn't get any better than this.... haha

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the latest Gran Turismo trailer that encompasses and celebrates 25 years of the franchise. From its inception in 1997 on the PlayStation 1 from Polyphony Digital, Gran Turismo has been an integral part of PlayStation consoles up through the latest release of Gran Turismo 7 on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 available now.

ZehDon

Gran Turismo 4 is, to this day, the best racing game ever made. I literally still have my PS2 plugged into my TV to play this one game on my PS2 Slim.

Can't wait to see where the series goes, hopefully we get a full blown next-gen only GT8 by the close of the generation. And, Kaz willing, a PC port to boot.

Unknown?

I'll never forget when GT2 was released and the graphics were so amazing I called my mum into the room to show her. I told her that graphics couldn't get any better than this.... haha
I said the same when GT3 came out. We were at Best Buy and I told my dad to come check it out and his reply was, "wow that looks better than real life." Haha

Taycan77

If anyone has been keeping track over the past 18 months you'll have noticed GT7 have been a constant in the PS5 top 20 charts. Both on PSN and at many retailers. It has consistently out performed HFW which had officially sold 8.4m as of April 2023.

As of today I'd say GT7 has sold over 10m and will likely go on to hit closer to 15m. I believe GT3 is currently the best selling GT at just under 15m.

I assume we will only get an official sales update when GT7 Spec II or GT8 are due.

BTW, with GTS servers set to shut-down, we can see that title has had 17m players.

This data is not available for GT7, but we do know online Time Trials average around 150k-180k players per week. Although trophy data shows only a fraction of players play online. For Sport Mode it's around 14% last time I looked.

Markio128

I’ve got nothing but big love for the series. There have been ups and downs along the way, but GT is definitely on the up again with GT7.

I think GT1 came out just around the time that I started driving, so it had a big influence on me. Time flies.

Top Bottom