• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 to only support Ray tracing in Replays

NahaNago

This is just an okay for me. I wasn't aware of hearing about ray tracing support so I'm not really bothered and I also kinda figured this was just a ps5 port of a ps4 game so I wasn't expecting a large jump in visuals.

sainraja

you know this is another one of those things where MS was up front about something while Sony played coy for years. GT7 was revealed with ray tracing everywhere in the first trailer. Not a single mention of whether or not it was tied to replay only. Playground Games caught a lot of flack over it because people naturally assumed GT7 was shipping with ray tracing. Very similar to Phil getting heat for cross gen comments because of Jim Ryan's I believe in generations claims.

Console wars are alive and well. It's pretty lame to see companies continue to mislead their fanbase in 2021. Lots of crow to be served, but can you really blame us Sony fans for believing devs and execs?
You could still be right but I think you are a little to quick to say they were being coy when they hadn't really talked about GT7. As for the cross gen and believe in generation comments, those were just magnified by passionate fans from both sides when every generation before there have been games available on both previous and new gen consoles — the shift may have been faster in the past but many other factors were also different (e.g. system differences and COVID's impact on finances/workflow etc.) Microsoft worked on making sure game compatibility was seamless across their consoles and just wanted to highlight that but passionate fans are well, you know, you don't know how or what they will do with that info.

Last edited:
you know this is another one of those things where MS was up front about something while Sony played coy for years. GT7 was revealed with ray tracing everywhere in the first trailer. Not a single mention of whether or not it was tied to replay only. Playground Games caught a lot of flack over it because people naturally assumed GT7 was shipping with ray tracing. Very similar to Phil getting heat for cross gen comments because of Jim Ryan's I believe in generations claims.
You know what I forgot about all this but you're right, the GT7 reveal trailer practically flaunted RT including in some spots that looked like were gameplay. So everyone just assumed it had ray-tracing in-game and considering it's a track-based racer didn't seem was a stretch.

Apparently it was a pretty big stretch after all.

assurdum

Banned
This is just an okay for me. I wasn't aware of hearing about ray tracing support so I'm not really bothered and I also kinda figured this was just a ps5 port of a ps4 game so I wasn't expecting a large jump in visuals.
The thing which really annoyed me they deceived their fans intentionally. They just show the game when featured raytracing and barely in gameplay. Such behaviour hurts my nerve. Why they did it? Good hell how stupid can be the PR marketing. They forget how deleterious is sell "fake" graphic stuff, it's a fucking boomerang.

Last edited:

hlm666

are there even any racers that do have RT (not modded)?
f1 2021, pc has RT in gameplay while consoles are only using RT Reflections during cutscenes/none gameplay parts like gt7 by the look although it does seem to use rt shadows during gameplay.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I told y'all not to trust the initial Sony PS5 presentation particularly after it came out that Kena was partly pre-rendered cut scenes.

Not that games aren't going to look amazing, but we have no reason to believe everything was real time on PS5 as Sony was clearly liberally using the concept of "running on a PS5."

When Sony says something is running on PS5, that includes pre-rendered video, so if it's not 100% clearly gameplay, it's anyone's guess whether it's actually being rendered in real time.

(I know replay modes are real time, but my point still stands lol)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
To be fair there were sooo many Youtubers and streamers who mentioned how good the 'ray traced reflections' looked on Forza's cars when Horizon 5 was first shown off, and we know it wasnt even RT lol.

If other froms of reflections can fool people, does it really matter if its not RT?.
Rt is much more that just reflections. It does wonders for lighting and shadows. Two areas that keep both GT and FZ from really making graphical leaps.

The thing is though that nobody is going to notice the missing RT while they're playing, so this doesn't really matter. What little of the RT they have shown us was blurry and low res, so perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Game looks fine without it.

TheMan

Not a huge deal. “Fake” lighting is good enough that you would be hard pressed to notice any difference when you’re zooming past the scenery at 100mph.

Ray tracing is so interesting because it is a visual effect we literally have to see ourselves, as in we should be able to make our own determination, yet we only seem to be aware of it's existence when we are told it exists or doesn't exist. If you are shown game footage and only know there wasn't ray tracing because someone told you, maybe we have to question what is the point of ray tracing.

This reminds me of Killzone on the PS4, where multiplayer ran at half the resolution and used interpolation, and nobody realized it for like 4 months until Digital Foundry stumbled upon it during some general analysis they were doing.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm glad I'm no longer interested in Gran Turismo 7 after the news of it requiring a internet connection to do anything

lem0n

Did we seriously expect ray tracing on this game, in race? Some of y'all need to keep your expectations checked

Idk man I just want to see full car to car reflections in a racer one day. Now our next hopes are on the Forza reboot... I don't care if the reflections are 720p or whatever concession they think off, this is open world on a last gen engine and it brought so much out visually

EjLTTT6XcAAGpVf

This just looks ridiculous though. Completely unrealistic and seems to be there just for the sake of lol raytracing. I'm more interesting in ray traced global illumination.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GT has always prioritized resolution and framerate I suppose, and RT would significantly limit one or the other. But yeah, they should ask Insomniac how they did 1440p60 with RT for people who want that. Native 4K is nice, but a bit of a waste.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ball firmly in turn 10’s court. Looking forward to seeing what that team is cooking.
Wanna bet they dont even use RT reflections and instead us RT for something like Shadows/AO.
I would love for them to use RT for GI but that might be wishful thinking.

RT reflections with a bunch of cars on track.....not at any reasonable level I dont think.

KAL2006

Banned
Did we seriously expect ray tracing on this game, in race? Some of y'all need to keep your expectations checked

I assume people used basic logic. They showed a trailer with raytracing (now we know it's RT in replays). We have Spiderman where there is fast web slinging in a open world that's also a cross gen game.

NahaNago

The thing which really annoyed me they deceived their fans intentionally. They just show the game when featured raytracing and barely in gameplay. Such behaviour hurts my nerve. Why they did it? Good hell how stupid can be the PR marketing. They forget how deleterious is sell "fake" graphic stuff, it's a fucking boomerang.
Typical Sony marketing. Not quite lying but deceptive marketing that makes Sony fans believe a certain thing about playstation and doesn't correct folks views on the marketing until much much later has been Sony's Mo since the start of this gen.
I told y'all not to trust the initial Sony PS5 presentation particularly after it came out that Kena was partly pre-rendered cut scenes.

Not that games aren't going to look amazing, but we have no reason to believe everything was real time on PS5 as Sony was clearly liberally using the concept of "running on a PS5."

When Sony says something is running on PS5, that includes pre-rendered video, so if it's not 100% clearly gameplay, it's anyone's guess whether it's actually being rendered in real time.

(I know replay modes are real time, but my point still stands lol)
I always thought Kena's original trailer was pre-rendered cut scenes so it wasn't that shocking when I saw gameplay of it. I was only shocked at how simple the world and gameplay was.

Pretty much anything Sony says this gen has to be viewed as what it always should have been and that was positive spin pr or simply marketing. Everything is bent to look as good as possible and all negative news gets put off as long as possible so they can ride the positive press reports.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
YIKES. So just like FH5.

It just makes FH 5 look that much more impressive in-game even w/ having to push an open world.

Imagine what Forza Motorsports 8 will look like next year 😯

I miss the days of PD actually pushing graphical boundaries. They've become increasingly lazy as each gen goes on.
Not to mention the fact that FH5 is pushing next gen foliage and environmental detail all the while being open world which is far more taxing than a circuit based racer. I have said this in jest, I have said this in anger, but it's become increasingly clear that PD has lost it and Sony closed the wrong racing studio.

Not surprised Ps5 doesnt have 1440p so thats out the window Ps5 doesnt have VRR so 120 fps mode is off the table and most people that play racing games dont want frame drops and random frame spikes. And sony's current line up of tvs dont have 1440p or VRR so the ps5 wont get it until there tvs do thats how sony has always been. This game is also coming to ps4 and its going to connect the ps4 and ps5 for online cross play im fine with that since GT7 is pretty much a continuation from sport Ray tracing was never stated DF did the rewind look at GT7 and they brought up raytracing kaz said nothing about ray tracing being used in either of the game play trailers or trailers.

Portugeezer

Polyphony used to be tech kings. 4k 60 is great and all but no lower res option with RT is surprising considering what we have seen from Insomniac. That said, they had to tell us for us to know, wasn't obvious from gameplay apparently.

Digity

Not to mention the fact that FH5 is pushing next gen foliage and environmental detail all the while being open world which is far more taxing than a circuit based racer. I have said this in jest, I have said this in anger, but it's become increasingly clear that PD has lost it and Sony closed the wrong racing studio.
Simply lookin at sales will tell you they made the right choice.

Those are subjective puffery statements. No different a company saying they "Make the best donuts in town".

But claiming a product has a feature is more measurable. In this case, GT7 has RT, but only in replays. So Sony saying the game has RT is technically true, but for it to be buried behind replays only is misleading because it is finally clarified now its limited in scope.

Its like a TV maker saying their new TV coming is HDMI 2.1 compliant and 4 ports. But out of the 4 HDMI ports, it turns out only one port is. The others are HDMI 2.0. And nobody would know it until now when the original statement for a year sounds like all ports would be 2.1.
Yep. Not to mention Playground Games (Forza Horizon devs) stated the fact about RT being available only in photo mode in their very first deep-dive video from a few months ago to be as transparent to fans as possible. Meanwhile, Polyphony has been marketing GT7 for nearly two years and we only just now learned the truth about their RT implementation by translating an interview for a small gaming media outlet. Sony and their first-party studios have not been forthcoming to fans since Jim Ryan took over.

ZywyPL

Banned
Wonder if it was planned from start or the consequence of the decision to port the game on PS4 as well?

Anyway, remember when Kaz was talking about the performance in an interview? That 8K might be too much, and it's better to stay at 4K but boost FPS to 120 or even 240 instead? Now turns out they're "targeting" the ordinary 4K60, so probably end up with the usual 1440p60+CBR from PS4Pro...

The game will look great anyway, but I'm slowly starting to believe it'll be just a GT:S with a proper career mode, so something we should got years ago akready on PS4 :/

SlimySnake

The thing is though that nobody is going to notice the missing RT while they're playing, so this doesn't really matter. What little of the RT they have shown us was blurry and low res, so perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Game looks fine without it.

I´m ok with that. RT reflections are a waste of resources, no one will have the time during a race, overtaking the leader, to enjoy the RT reflections on his car. Does the game make use of global illumination at least?
I keep seeing this get repeated in the thread, and yet the trailer shows a massive gulp in visual fidelity between the replay scenes with RT and gameplay scenes without RT. It's a generational difference.

MAeLMe0.gif

bkEqHFw.gif

Realtime RT in a driving game where the reflections of the maybe 6 - 10 cars on the track all have to accurately update their reflections of the game world, all while driving at insane speeds, all while keeping a minimum of 60fps refresh (essential for a driving game), was always going to be a pipe dream.

Outside of the cars, there are very few instances where it makes sense on the tracks and environmental backgrounds which are mostly non-reflective surfaces.

The cars themselves have been "good enough" using SSR and cube-maps for decades now. Racing games have never been the biggest beneficiaries of technology like RT.

Racer!

GT7 is basically GT Sport with more content/features. If you loved GT Sport, this game is for you I suppose.

Not expecting much difference physics wise, as it supports crossplay with OG PS4.

However, this seems like a PS4 game, remastered on PS5. Such a bummer!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Simply lookin at sales will tell you they made the right choice.
GT games sell on brand name alone. If Evo was allowed to put GT infront of DriveClub, it wouldve been a huge success like Forza Horizon.

Look at CoD games. They sell every year no matter which studio makes them. If you let Evo take over GT, they would be far more productive. Remember Sony killed Evo because they took 3.5 years to make DriveClub instead of the usual 2 they used to take to make Motorstorm. Well PD took 4 years to make GT Sports without a single player campaign. And then 4.5 years to make a cross gen game without ray tracing? An absolute failure of a studio.

Digity

GT7 is basically GT Sport with more content/features. If you loved GT Sport, this game is for you I suppose.

Not expecting much difference physics wise, as it supports crossplay with OG PS4.

However, this seems like a PS4 game, remastered on PS5. Such a bummer!
They already announced the physics are updated. It isn’t physics that are demanding, it’s graphics. Iracing can run on a potato and has far better physics than GTSport.

Top Bottom