• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 to only support Ray tracing in Replays

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well this is shocking since they barely showed any in game footage........oh wait......

Why not at least a 1440p mode with some basic rt? From what I saw the game doesn't look amazing anyhow, it does seem like pd has lost thier graphics prowess.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
To be fair there were sooo many Youtubers and streamers who mentioned how good the 'ray traced reflections' looked on Forza's cars when Horizon 5 was first shown off, and we know it wasnt even RT lol.

If other froms of reflections can fool people, does it really matter if its not RT?.

Not really during the game. The only time you see your own car reflected is behind another car and tunnels, otherwise only interior reflections maybe? GT Sport already had reflective dashboards.

It think race games would benefit from raytraced shadows and lighting. Forza 5 would not even benefit from RT reflections because of the environment.

Last edited:

tommib

To be fair there were sooo many Youtubers and streamers who mentioned how good the 'ray traced reflections' looked on Forza's cars when Horizon 5 was first shown off, and we know it wasnt even RT lol.

If other froms of reflections can fool people, does it really matter if its not RT?.
So much this. RT has been a total marketing ploy. It’s the new Pentium MMX.

jaysius

Banned
I might have agreed with this 100% a few months ago but after playing a some games with rt, I think it can actually deliver in some cases.
RT is nice in RE8, but it's kind of inconsistent and that throws things off, like the world has great RT but the gun models and the hand doesn't, and that makes a mismash of lighting, overall it's OK but it could have been GREAT.

Chukhopops

and Phill spencer is as much as full of shit as Jim ryan. or should i remind you of "Xbox Series X Will Have Best Launch Lineup Position Yet" bullshit?

Also, the "I believe in generations" quote, did you read the full interview where he said that? He never said Sony was only making PS5 games from that point forward.
I like how you complain about misquoting Jim Ryan when the Spencer quote actually is:
“I honestly think we’re in the best launch lineup position that we’ve ever been on Xbox,” Spencer said. “When I think about the strength and depth of the games that people are going to be able to play day one on Xbox Series X — not only because of [backward compatibility] — and the way that Game Pass really allows the total cost of ownership of our console, I think is a real strength.
He clearly says this in the context of how many games you can play day 1 versus previous generations. His statement is actually correct and doesn’t say anything about exclusives or even first party. But that’s off topic anyway.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
He mentioned that he is speaking about the launch features. It's entirely possible they add more options later. Also if the rumors are true about pro consoles again this generation, then I would expect first party developers to revisit these releases and update. That being said, RT is great and all but if it's going to cost me fps then I would rather not.

twilo99

Native 4K is waste of resources. Pretty sure then PS4 will be albe to do 1080P 60fps if they are targeting 4K 60fps. for the PS5. They have messed up this cross gen game 🤦‍♂️

No one seems to want to hear this, but 1440p is indeed the best performance to quality ratio you can get from these consoles..

For a fast paced game such as GT7, 1440p/120fps would be much, much better than 4k/60fps.

And the baked in reflections look very good to me, so the lack of raytracing doesn't strike me as that big of a deal

ReBurn

Gold Member
Good Lord. For real? Lol Poliphony, what a bunch of buffoon. All those chats for raytracing in GT7 just for the replay. Yeah the last Forza is definitely a step up, I rethreat everything. The hell is became Polyphony.
You should fly over there and show those buffoons how to get raytracing going in their game. Sounds like they could use your help.

GymWolf

5n77jm.jpg

//DEVIL//

you know this is another one of those things where MS was up front about something while Sony played coy for years. GT7 was revealed with ray tracing everywhere in the first trailer. Not a single mention of whether or not it was tied to replay only. Playground Games caught a lot of flack over it because people naturally assumed GT7 was shipping with ray tracing. Very similar to Phil getting heat for cross gen comments because of Jim Ryan's I believe in generations claims.

Console wars are alive and well. It's pretty lame to see companies continue to mislead their fanbase in 2021. Lots of crow to be served, but can you really blame us Sony fans for believing devs and execs?
You mean Sony is being shady shit ? yeah. they been like that from the first day they announced most of the PS5 games.

whatever we believe in generations, or revealing GT7 to be close to the PS5 release just to be delayed more than 1 year ( they knew it wasn't even ready but they still flat out lied to counter MS ).

Sony is being shit in so many things I really hope people start to give them shit and hurt their wallet.

just like how I don't even buy a single first party PS5 game anymore day one till its 30$.
I am doing my part not supporting them. not even the shitty PS plus. they are not getting anything from me but the bare minimum.

I am one of the few and probably the only one who is fighting this but whatever. that's less money for them.

octiny

Banned
YIKES. So just like FH5.

It just makes FH 5 look that much more impressive in-game even w/ having to push an open world.

Imagine what Forza Motorsports 8 will look like next year 😯

I miss the days of PD actually pushing graphical boundaries. They've become increasingly lazy as each gen goes on.

Neo_game

I’m confident it will look beautiful nonetheless. I mean, GT Sport is still incredibly good looking in my opinion. And what I’ve missed the most in previous GT titles is proper car customization, and that seems to be sorted in GT7.

I think that is why people are disappointed. For a PS4 game it is pretty amazing. But the improvements for GT7 seems very limited. It is just another PS4 game ?

modiz

So this is getting worse all the time...
I wonder if we will finally get a locked 60 fps Gran Turismo or if we will have to wait for PS6.

sinnergy

you know this is another one of those things where MS was up front about something while Sony played coy for years. GT7 was revealed with ray tracing everywhere in the first trailer. Not a single mention of whether or not it was tied to replay only. Playground Games caught a lot of flack over it because people naturally assumed GT7 was shipping with ray tracing. Very similar to Phil getting heat for cross gen comments because of Jim Ryan's I believe in generations claims.

Console wars are alive and well. It's pretty lame to see companies continue to mislead their fanbase in 2021. Lots of crow to be served, but can you really blame us Sony fans for believing devs and execs?
Doesn’t matter their fans believe 🤣

MonarchJT

Banned
Some people got quick to compare GT7 to Forza Horizon 5 even though FH5 is open world, has had a shorter development cycle and also targets Xbox One :lollipop_neutral:
forza games have playground and turn10 behind .... polyphony nowdays isn't the studio was during GT3 and prologue period anymore

Great Hair

Banned
I´m ok with that. RT reflections are a waste of resources, no one will have the time during a race, overtaking the leader, to enjoy the RT reflections on his car. Does the game make use of global illumination at least?

At least the replays will look +10% better, and it´s still better than just having RT in forza´s visamode.

Encouraging Everything Will Be Ok GIF by LookHUMAN
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Leroy Patterson

This was obvious from the most recent trailer; an absolutely drab looking 10 seconds of cockpit gameplay sandwiched in between a bunch of glossy, reflective close up pan/action shots.

So if I read it that way, they do want to implement RT for gameplay at a later date.

So are people missing this part "For the time being"?
I see "for the time being" what I'm puzzled about is "choose ray tracing in the replay even during the game" what?!?! RT in the replay... even during the game?!?! Is this the best translation we have?

I'm not doubting that RT may only be implemented during replays and pic mode... its just such a weird translation. Also, it's Ployphony... when have them been ahead of tech? Probably hasn't been since the PS2 days lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Good point.

Probably for 10 years, all racers have good looking water/puddle/reflection track effects where it really does look like a rainy day. And none of that is RT. If someone told me they were RT, Id believe them. If someone told me they werent, I'd believe them too.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I literally called it months ago, if they used it in game they would show shiney interiors with lots of reflections to demonstrate it. Lets just hope they use higher quality cube maps with high quality SSR, wich is more then enough for a racing game with that aims 4k60.But it would be nice if they added a 1080/1440p mode with RT. And rip to that guy that was downplaying Forza Horizon 5 and commenting in every Forza thread 4k/60/RT vs 4K/30 bullshit.

Md Ray

Console raytracing was a mistake.
Eh, I wouldn't call it a mistake. AMD's first-gen RT HW acceleration is a little lackluster, no doubt about that, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I mean what we have on consoles is still better than no HW for RT acceleration at all, IMO.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You should fly over there and show those buffoons how to get raytracing going in their game. Sounds like they could use your help.
Yeah because the buffoon are the people who believed raytracing was present in the gameplay because Polyphony said GT7 featured it not Poliphony who stayed ambiguous about the raytracing true use and just show video of the replay the whole time about the game. Definitely a fair attitude.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I think that is why people are disappointed. For a PS4 game it is pretty amazing. But the improvements for GT7 seems very limited. It is just another PS4 game ?

I’m quite sure that it will look significantly better than GT Sport though, but we’ll just have to wait and see I guess.

Top Bottom