• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 set to launch with an install of 110GB (PS4) / 90GB (PS5)

https://www.aroged.com/2022/01/23/g...ystation-exclusive-ever-with-110gb-at-launch/

Update: Twitter Source says 89GB (without day 1 patch)

Largest PS5 exclusive launch title to date (capacity wise).

Polyphony Digital obviously loves cars and racing, but I've always wondered if game development has passed them by. If GT7 doesn't return Polyphony Digital towards the top of SIE, I think it might be time to put them out to pasture and maybe create a new team for Gran Turismo. I don't mean to be hyperbolic in saying that. SIE has evolved from the late 90s and early 2000s and that evolution has entirely happened without Japanese studios. I hope Polyphony Digital can make that jump, but nothing they've done in the last decade tells me that they can.

This game is going to tell us a lot about them as game developers and not just racing game developers. I had hoped for a 120hz mode, but it doesn't look like that is in the cards for this game, maybe down the road or GT8. I think a lot of these features that were discussed will end up in GT8, 120hz, VR e.t.c. But I'm more concerned with whether they make a competent game worth 70 dollars:
  • Do they finally eliminate load times with the PS5s SSD
  • With the game taking up 110GB is the game just loaded or did they not make great use of the Kraken compression. Will be interested to see the PS4 size compared to the PS5 size.
  • This is probably the most ambitious Gran Turismo game ever released (and in my opinion maybe for the wrong reasons).
    • You have a PS5 version, a PS4 Pro version, and a PS4 version.
    • Can't wait to see what Digital Foundry says about the performance across these 3 models.
  • There was talk of a GT7 Beta around 6 months ago, but I haven't heard any evidence that any Beta took place. To release a game this size without a beta just seems pretty daft. Obviously, there is time before release, but it's surprising to not have anything at this point and a competent developer should realize that. For such an ambitious game to not have beta tests is just asking for early trouble.
    • The lack of even an early access release is worrisome.
Aside from the technical aspect, it'll be interesting to see how they tackle some of the series other historic criticisms around sound, damage, and menus.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

iPiMoMj.gif

The SSD will be the biggest jump for this game. The last one was painful to sit and wait for screens to load.

But I don't think I'm getting it as I'm bored of the series since 4.

Phase

How many unique tracks will they have in 7? I've put in a lot of hrs in Sport, and it looks almost identical.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

elliot5

Horizon being like 90 GB and this being 110 GB is nutty. I was hoping to see moderately sized games. Is there a breakdown of ps4 install vs ps5

Last edited:
The load times will be pretty much nonexistent in this game just as they are in the ps5 version of first party ganes. I wouldn’t be too worried about that. And most games don’t have early access versions… don’t know why that should be worrisome.
I think that is our assumption, right? But we'll see if Polyphony Digital can deliver on that. They never patched GT Sport to take complete advantage of the PS5s SSD. And maybe that makes sense with GT7 coming out so soon and GT Sport will probably be retired fairly soon. So, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (until reviews come out).

truth411

https://www.aroged.com/2022/01/23/g...ystation-exclusive-ever-with-110gb-at-launch/

Largest PS5 exclusive launch title to date (capacity wise).

Polyphony Digital obviously loves cars and racing, but I've always wondered if game development has passed them by. If GT7 doesn't return Polyphony Digital towards the top of SIE, I think it might be time to put them out to pasture and maybe create a new team for Gran Turismo. I don't mean to be hyperbolic in saying that. SIE has evolved from the late 90s and early 2000s and that evolution has entirely happened without Japanese studios. I hope Polyphony Digital can make that jump, but nothing they've done in the last decade tells me that they can.

This game is going to tell us a lot about them as game developers and not just racing game developers. I had hoped for a 120hz mode, but it doesn't look like that is in the cards for this game, maybe down the road or GT8. I think a lot of these features that were discussed will end up in GT8, 120hz, VR e.t.c. But I'm more concerned with whether they make a competent game worth 70 dollars:
  • Do they finally eliminate load times with the PS5s SSD
  • With the game taking up 110GB is the game just loaded or did they not make great use of the Kraken compression. Will be interested to see the PS4 size compared to the PS5 size.
  • This is probably the most ambitious Gran Turismo game ever released (and in my opinion maybe for the wrong reasons).
    • You have a PS5 version, a PS4 Pro version, and a PS4 version.
    • Can't wait to see what Digital Foundry says about the performance across these 3 models.
  • There was talk of a GT7 Beta around 6 months ago, but I haven't heard any evidence that any Beta took place. To release a game this size without a beta just seems pretty daft. Obviously, there is time before release, but it's surprising to not have anything at this point and a competent developer should realize that. For such an ambitious game to not have beta tests is just asking for early trouble.
    • The lack of even an early access release is worrisome.
Aside from the technical aspect, it'll be interesting to see how they tackle some of the series other historic criticisms around sound, damage, and menus.
There is only so much you can do with a Cross-Gen game from a technical aspect.
It will be GT8 before we see what they really can do.

yurinka

I assume the 110GB size is for PS4, and that in PS5 will be way smaller thanks to Kraken.

If GT7 doesn't return Polyphony Digital towards the top of SIE, I think it might be time to put them out to pasture and maybe create a new team for Gran Turismo. I don't mean to be hyperbolic in saying that.
Yes, you are very hyperbolic. There are zero reasons to put the out to pasture, the GT series sold a ton of millions of units, won a ton of awards and got great reviews. GT Sport was released in 2017 and in 2019 was estimated to be at 8M units sold. This is around 3 years ago and this isn't counting what it could have sold since then, or even potential extra sales if they ever decide to port it to PC.

GT7 seems that it's going to have learnt from GTS and would add many more stuff including things their fans asked for a long period of time. Pretty likely will be better received than GTS was and will sell more than GTS. And may even be a key player for Sony on eSports and VR.

Who fucking cares if it's in the top of SIE or not as long as it keeps selling very well, specially in a context where racing games don't sell a shit outside a few top IPs.

Horizon being like 90 GB and this being 110 GB is nutty. I was hoping to see moderately sized games. Is there a breakdown of ps4 install vs ps5
Would be 200 GB on other platforms. Power of the PS5 compression :messenger_bicep:
With the game taking up 110GB is the game just loaded or did they not make great use of the Kraken compression. Will be interested to see the PS4 size compared to the PS5 size.
The link in the OP says they don't know if this size is for PS4 or PS5. So maybe it's for PS4 and for PS5 gets way smaller.

How many unique tracks will they have in 7? I've put in a lot of hrs in Sport, and it looks almost identical.
GT7 will have 420 cars and 90 tracks at launch. So as always it's super likely they'll keep adding more post launch.

Last edited:

Beechos

I really hope everything else matches the lvl of the graphics shown so far. I agree with the op polyphony is one of those developers kind of at a crossroads. If the game is good theyll be at the top of the racing game developers list again but if its not then who knows what might happen to them.

Raven117

Gold Member
So, a thread focused on PD turns into a hardware fight? K.

I’m very curious to what PD has in store. They occupy a funny space in the “racer” world. For straight up simulation, assetto corso and iracing are much stronger.

From “Arcady” there is Forza horizons and others.

So where does PD fit in? It will need to balance into the “game” nature of racing which I think it will, while also supporting really good online support and racing.

There is absolutely a spot for them…. It just… like any game…. Needs to be really fun to play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's seems incredibly large for a racing game.

Does it have a shit load of 4K videos or something ?

Top Bottom