• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Review Thread

If there's one game that doesn't need reviews, it's GT7. 99% of game sites and YT channels are being forced to review it because it's a high profile IP, but even though they can't even drive decent lines, they pretend to be long time fans, lol.

So far, I've only seem comments about how they used to love playing GT2, how much they think GTS was a failure and how things like license tests are so important. They can't assess the real improvements, like car physics and dynamic weather, so they skip the most important parts.

Lognor

Banned
Two mixed reviews.

One says it’s not a game for people who doesn’t love cars and one complains about the menu music being lounge jazz.

Yeez.
That first review makes sense. I don't love cars so this is not a game for me clearly. Forza Horizon for some reason clicked even though I'm not a car guy. I prefer the arcadey aspects, I suppose. Sims? Nah no fun for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are too many hack "pro" reviewers out there today.
Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

A lot of gaming posers.

jm89

Throughout the PS3, PS4 era GT has struggled against Forza, GT7 is essentially a comeback looking to get the business done.
Don't know about ps3 era, cause im pretty sure gt5 outsold multiple forzas combined in that era, the hype was unreal even on here. One leaked screenshot had people going nuts.

But ps4 era gt sport was a massive L and and struggled.

Last edited:

rolandss

What’s the verdict on the AI then?

Complete slow trash on rails who don’t put up a fight and make this a glorified overtaking simulator?
I’ve seen some reviewers can it and some say it’s a decent improvement on sport, but consensus seems to be its still not amazing. Hopefully that changes when they implement Sophy in a patch.

rolandss

If there's one game that doesn't need reviews, it's GT7. 99% of game sites and YT channels are being forced to review it because it's a high profile IP, but even though they can't even drive decent lines, they pretend to be long time fans, lol.

So far, I've only seem comments about how they used to love playing GT2, how much they think GTS was a failure and how things like license tests are so important. They can't assess the real improvements, like car physics and dynamic weather, so they skip the most important parts.
Yeah agree here. Only the Super GT review seems to cover real improvements. A lot of the reviews gloss over or don’t even talk about the things most GT players care about. I didn’t find any review discuss and compare physics of GT Sport to GT7 until I got to super GT, or the detailed weather system and how it works, etc. I’m still not 100% sure that things like exhaust modifications become visible on the car when you add them (though it kinda looks like it from videos).

I can't believe FW didn't get at least a 90. Feel bad for Guerilla devs man. They must be thinking "what else can we do?". There are too many hack "pro" reviewers out there today.

Not many sequels running on the same engine that fail to innovate get 90s.

Do you feel like this is a jump like Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 2?

High 8s are pretty good for games that aren't super innovative and are more evolution than revolution.

HFW looks paint by numbers expansion to HZD.

Markio128

I can’t believe how excited I am to play this game on Friday; not many games can get me this hyped. My purchase was never going to hinge on any reviews, but they are admittedly better that I expected. Considering I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing GT Sport, which barely had a career, says it all really. I just adore the handling model, the crazy attention to detail on (and inside) the cars, the peerless replays and eclectic menu music. It’s like a big gaming hug to me.

Fox Mulder

Don't know about ps3 era, cause im pretty sure gt5 outsold multiple forzas combined in that era, the hype was unreal even on here. One leaked screenshot had people going nuts.

But ps4 era gt sport was a massive L and and struggled.

It took way too long for GT Sport to come out on ps4. It was pared down while Forza Motorsports was on its third XB1 game in 2017 with a massive car list and tracks.

GT Sport still dunked on them with esports and pulled over top Forza youtubers like Super GT. Forza was even tinkering with better track limits and penalty systems at the end of FM7.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
Anybody have comments on drifting that has played it yet? I am curious how good the drifting physics are, as I have always felt them off in GT (at least, post GT3).

jakinov

So explain Elden Ring? Not to knock on the game but it's basically Souls but in a semi-open world (I say semi because there's areas you can't traverse when you think maybe you could that result in instant deaths, and the only way to traverse a certain path from Point A to Point B is to just traverse that path altogether), and has all the same skills and animations from previous Souls games, right down to the exact same frames.

I'm just going off what I've seen because I haven't picked the game up yet, but there's enough to notice those similarities. So if the idea is one game's a sequel that "barely does anything" to innovate over the original, why is that sequel knocked down when a spiritual successor in another IP using all the same animations, skills/techniques and even recycled bosses from previous entries, being scored as something more innovative than it probably actually is?

That's the type of inconsistency in logic across these reviews that are very troubling and dilute the legitimacy of some of these reviews. And again I'm not trying to pick on Elden Ring here because I still fully intend to buy it later on (if perf issues aren't completely fixed on PC or even console then I'll probably have to go through the hell of finding a PS5 to play the PS4 version on that); I just want fair and honest consistency in the review process from reviewers.

But that doesn't seem like it's happening and combined with the questionable weighing system, is making MC look less and less reliable by the day.
First we need to establish that people have differnet tastes and have differnet experiences before we can have a meaningful discussion. There could be people sick of Elden Ring but not sick of Horizon.

Elden Ring changes enough to make people happy. And the inherent qualities that people like in Souls games tend to age better arguably. People like the souls games for things like difficulty, secrets/exploration and clever level design. I don't think people really get sick of hard games, finding secrets or clever level design. Same way people don't get sick of Mario when it's the same essential game but the level design just gets crazier/more-clever every time. But what people might get sick of is clearing icons off the map to complete checklists and choose your own dialogue. There's not much that really heavily rips off the souls games either (at least not one that are likely played).

Lets look at Gears of War as an example, back then it was crazy for how it shook things up for third person shooters with its cover system. Everyone copies that so new Gears games can't ride on being the inventor of that system because everyone else has great 3rd person movement/cover or whatever too. Similar to COD with its tactical and precisiony gameplay elements. Similiar to Uncharted with it's overly cinematic single palyer experiences. Everyone starts doing the same shit you don 't get that wow anymore.

If you look at other medias too this happens. Shakespeare gets praised for making up words and doing a bunch of crap never done before. But you do it today and nobodoy gives a shit. You look at movies, some of the most popular movies back then like lets say Psycho which was known at the time for doing a bunch of new things that movies today copy.

The reality is, people need to stop looking at pastreviews and comparing them to today. People try think of the scores too logically when they are subjective scores. They don't write a review going back at every other game they've ever reviewed or their colleagues ever reviewed and try to make the score numbers be relative to that. Review scores are subjectives scores of what an individual person thinks at the time of reviewing

Wait so you contradict your own point from your previous post? Because by your logic in this post, at most that is one of the only things Forbidden West does that could be considered "samey" to the previous game, and it's done at a MUCH lower frequency (and with more actual adjustments/changes & polish for some uniqueness) than Elden Ring.
Again, from the footage I've seen, ER just seems to be a Soulslike in an open-world (that doesn't seem 100% open world in function) as the new feature. That's a great formula but if innovation and lack thereof is why certain other games are supposedly being scored more harshly, why isn't that applying to Elden Ring as well? Where's the consistency? Some of the things I've heard from people talking about the adventure aspect, how it feels like a true adventure, don't sound very convincing in their supposed "refreshing uniqueness" or appear so in practice.

Like, there's been games that let you choose multiple progression paths in terms of stages or bosses since the 1980s. Even in open-world RPGs if you want to go back to PC games from the '90s. So I can see how it would feel refreshing and unique in the context of a lot of modern games, I guess.
That's not a contradiction. My first post is saying that standards change. Elements that make it special don't stand out anymore over time people people copy (or in other words rasie the bar). Whereas what you are doing is comparing how much has changed between sequels of a "franchise". It's not about change for the sake of change. It's that over time people change expectations and so review/critisize differnetly.

RPSleon

Fro the other thread:
This worries me alot. Its put me off buying day one and ill skip the whole game if its gonna give me fomo. I am not spending £70 to feel bad.

Its like theyve payed no attention to how people responded to this stuff with other games.

Rac3r

It's a shame PD chose to keep the always online requirement. Otherwise, GT7 likely would've been surpassed 90 on metacritic/opencritic. Doesn't really matter though, GT is back....can't wait til Friday.

GooseMan69

Fucking LMAO at the very start of Polygon's review:

"In the quarter century since “the real driving simulator” became a sensation with its involved physics and grainy photorealism, our relationship with cars has changed. Climate change has forced a reevaluation, and the internal combustion engine is on the way out. Can cars even be cool in 2022? "

I just had to stop after that. I couldn't go on.

Was probably written by somebody who lives in a walk-in closet in the city and has to take public transport everywhere. Of course he/she/they/zem doesn’t think cars are cool.

John Wick

Man come on, it's a review outlet with over 450 reviews under their belt, they've given PS5 exclusives like Ratchet top marks.

Just because they didn't give the last 1, 2 the high scores you expected, you want them to be blacklisted lol.

I may need new glasses but some of you guys really need a grip.
Your seriously delusional if you think they are a impartial review site.

Schmick

Great result for the game. Wish i had a PS5.

I always struggle to watch reviews on racing games though. Cant stand watching the terrible driving by the reviewer.

John Wick

They're a bunch of deluded cunts. They rated Death Stranding 3.5. Lmfao.

GT7 looks interesting although I'm disappointed it's cross-gen. The PS4/PS5 comparison videos are not doing the game any favours. Besides increased resolution and trackside detail, it looks virtually identical.
Same as FH5 but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game on Xbox 1X. So this shouldn't stop you either.

John Wick

"Only people who are pre-destined to like a game should review them" - NeoGAF

Their opinion was, as they stated, that it's not interesting info to anyone actually into cars either..

Not everyone enjoys the same things, some people are outright aggravated by something other people love.. that's all normal, and as long as a reviewer explains their opinion.. that's fine.
Why would any sane person consider buying a racing game if they hate cars and racing? Sometimes the stupidity of the reviewers is off the charts. If your reviewing something in a genre you don't like then your review shouldn't reflect your biases. A game should be reviewed fairly.

Oh yeah definitely the two sites with lowish scores HAVE to be questioned and blacklisted, the 15 PlayStation only magazines giving out 10's like candy are all legit though. 😂

Markio128

This is a short, but sweet review and shows some really cool details on how much you can change a cars appearance with mods.

boomcrab

Jesus what a great year this is already. I've never really played GT and I want to give this one a real shot. Those load times on ps5 are crazy. I've got a good feeling about this game for some reason, like somethings clicking here when looking at it

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why would any sane person consider buying a racing game if they hate cars and racing? Sometimes the stupidity of the reviewers is off the charts. If your reviewing something in a genre you don't like then your review shouldn't reflect your biases. A game should be reviewed fairly.
What does wanting to play a racing game have to do with wanting to read the history of car racing?

I feel like you just aren't following; we aren't talking about someone who dislikes car racing games, or the genre. They didn't like a mechanic where the "story mode" requires going through a bunch of dialog about the history of cars. And they said it wasn't particularly interesting either way, whether you cared about the history of cars or not (in their opinion.)

Last edited:
It's a shame PD chose to keep the always online requirement. Otherwise, GT7 likely would've been surpassed 90 on metacritic/opencritic. Doesn't really matter though, GT is back....can't wait til Friday.
You may be right and you know what? It serves them right for that decision. Nothing worse than paying full price for a game that will get shut down 6 years from now.

Fucking LMAO at the very start of Polygon's review:

"In the quarter century since “the real driving simulator” became a sensation with its involved physics and grainy photorealism, our relationship with cars has changed. Climate change has forced a reevaluation, and the internal combustion engine is on the way out. Can cars even be cool in 2022? "

I just had to stop after that. I couldn't go on.
Im starting to think they write this for you guys.

All this triggering is sorta forcing me to want to read the review. I wanna know where they are going with this.

Top Bottom