• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Review Thread

Standards change over time. People copy
each other and what’s unique loses its novelty when you see it again.
So explain Elden Ring? Not to knock on the game but it's basically Souls but in a semi-open world (I say semi because there's areas you can't traverse when you think maybe you could that result in instant deaths, and the only way to traverse a certain path from Point A to Point B is to just traverse that path altogether), and has all the same skills and animations from previous Souls games, right down to the exact same frames.

I'm just going off what I've seen because I haven't picked the game up yet, but there's enough to notice those similarities. So if the idea is one game's a sequel that "barely does anything" to innovate over the original, why is that sequel knocked down when a spiritual successor in another IP using all the same animations, skills/techniques and even recycled bosses from previous entries, being scored as something more innovative than it probably actually is?

That's the type of inconsistency in logic across these reviews that are very troubling and dilute the legitimacy of some of these reviews. And again I'm not trying to pick on Elden Ring here because I still fully intend to buy it later on (if perf issues aren't completely fixed on PC or even console then I'll probably have to go through the hell of finding a PS5 to play the PS4 version on that); I just want fair and honest consistency in the review process from reviewers.

But that doesn't seem like it's happening and combined with the questionable weighing system, is making MC look less and less reliable by the day.

Well people don’t actual care or notice that. Movies use the same old sound effects all the time

Wait so you contradict your own point from your previous post? Because by your logic in this post, at most that is one of the only things Forbidden West does that could be considered "samey" to the previous game, and it's done at a MUCH lower frequency (and with more actual adjustments/changes & polish for some uniqueness) than Elden Ring.

Again, from the footage I've seen, ER just seems to be a Soulslike in an open-world (that doesn't seem 100% open world in function) as the new feature. That's a great formula but if innovation and lack thereof is why certain other games are supposedly being scored more harshly, why isn't that applying to Elden Ring as well? Where's the consistency? Some of the things I've heard from people talking about the adventure aspect, how it feels like a true adventure, don't sound very convincing in their supposed "refreshing uniqueness" or appear so in practice.

Like, there's been games that let you choose multiple progression paths in terms of stages or bosses since the 1980s. Even in open-world RPGs if you want to go back to PC games from the '90s. So I can see how it would feel refreshing and unique in the context of a lot of modern games, I guess.

Last edited:
GT7 = 88
Horizon Forbidden West = 88

Looks like 88 is Sony's lucky number right now lol. Hopefully they can surpass that with the next releases for this year.

Zeroing

Banned
Nice reviews!
Wonder why they didn’t spread these out a bit more… maybe a month or two down the line?
Because they are different genres and releasing them so close to eachother forces the idea that Sony does have good exclusives and delivers them fast!

I’m taking this from a marketing perspective!

Mossybrew

Fucking LMAO at the very start of Polygon's review:

"In the quarter century since “the real driving simulator” became a sensation with its involved physics and grainy photorealism, our relationship with cars has changed. Climate change has forced a reevaluation, and the internal combustion engine is on the way out. Can cars even be cool in 2022? "

I just had to stop after that. I couldn't go on.

Unknown?

"In the quarter century since “the real driving simulator” became a sensation with its involved physics and grainy photorealism, our relationship with cars has changed. Climate change has forced a reevaluation, and the internal combustion engine is on the way out. Can cars even be cool in 2022? "

Hahahaha, what a joke of a site.

NickFire

You now owe me the price of a new keyboard!!! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I was sipping coffee when I read that quote, and the coffee has become my keyboard's coffee now. :messenger_fearful:

I like this line from one review:

'Gran Turismo 7 is a triple threat: it's one of the best sounding, most luscious-looking and phenomenal feeling racers I've ever played in my life.'

3D sound, 60fps visuals and feels through that vibrating and reactive DS. I'm surprised none of the reviews have made the quip 'best played with the dual shock embedded up your arse its that good'.

ethomaz

Banned
I like this line from one review:

'Gran Turismo 7 is a triple threat: it's one of the best sounding, most luscious-looking and phenomenal feeling racers I've ever played in my life.'

3D sound, 60fps visuals and feels through that vibrating and reactive DS. I'm surprised none of the reviews have made the quip 'best played with the dual shock embedded up your arse its that good'.
Probably because most played with a Wheel that is better than anything Dual Sense can delivery.

Last edited:

Certinty

What’s the verdict on the AI then?

Complete slow trash on rails who don’t put up a fight and make this a glorified overtaking simulator?

And yet for some stupid reason, their review carries more weight in the aggregate average than reviews that don't arbitrarily shove political messaging down people's throat (not saying climate change isn't important, but no one playing GT7 is somehow contributing to climate change simply because they're playing the game. Save that blame for the oil companies).

John Wick

Stevivors got blacklisted lmao
Good. Fanboys shouldn't review games critically. Their review tarnished HFW.

Aenima

aa9d429b01dd6f3a1439b27194585d71.png

Disbelief Reaction GIF
Now i know why Kaz said PS5 players will be able to start doing warm up laps in MP while they wait for PS4 players to join.

John Wick

Decent score for a track racer. Sony should also invest in more arcade-y racing games and bring back Driveclub or something.

Not surprising, Sony has had a history of blacklisting outlets that didn't give its games favorable reviews score as well.
Big difference in proper and fair reviews than the fanboy rubbish they were peddling.

Venom Snake

Gold Member

No. Fucking. Way. :pie_roffles:

John Wick

All reviews are subjective anyway though ..

Reading the stevior review for HFW I agree with some of it's point as someone whose put in around 12~ hours into the game so far.

Climbing and traversal is not good (bordering outright bad), the weapon selection is almost pointless, the side quests are just fetch quests, and there is a myriad of little glitches almost every encounter like enemies just spinning around in a pivot after dying, Aloy jittering above and below climbable surfaces 20 times in a second and whatnot.

Let's not turn into that "HOW DARE HE REVIEW ZELDA 88" meme, let's leave that behind at GameFAQs.
Yeah it's funny how all the Xbox games have high ratings but the PS ones are average or worse huh? Subjective huh? GTFO

With a title like "Gran Turismo 7 is the granddaddy of racing games — in more ways than one" did you expect the content to be good?
This is Polygon...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Shades of:

Think of Polygon video game reviews more like sitting in on a deeply broken person's therapy sessions.

NickFire

With a title like "Gran Turismo 7 is the granddaddy of racing games — in more ways than one" did you expect the content to be good?
This is Polygon...
We need to stop punching down at Polygon and start punching up for them instead. I'll start by fully supporting better working conditions for these, um, people with keyboards. I support them so much that I encourage them to join the union mentioned in the other thread, and immediately go on strike. Stay out as long as they have to until their work is finally taken seriously. I know, I know, that could be a long time. But anything good is worth waiting for.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

I dread to think what they said about Flight Simulator

vj27

Banned
Didn't we all follow the 97 for Elden Ring only for us to come out of it like 'what the fuck were reviewers reviewing?' kind of thing?
Nah it was mainly about the technical aspect being glossed over. It really does have beat in class exploration, like that should be the template for all open world games. The map actually works as a real map, with routes and landmarks etc.

Anyways yeah it was mainly for the PC performance being dog shit an reviewers going yeah it bad but whatever… 10/10. I love this game, it is 10/10 in every aspect…. Except performance wise.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dread to think what they said about Flight Simulator
Did a quick scan and did not see any virtue signaling brow beating bullshit... but, I did see the typical: 🤭
Even if you just show up to take in the sights, it’s an experience that is well worth your time. Just turn on the AI pilot, kick back with a glass of Champagne in first class, and enjoy the ride.
picture board GIF by South Park

Last edited:

Stuart360

88 is a great MC score. I'm sure some in here are losing it because it didnt hit 90 but there arent many racing games that do these days. Its not the absolutely massive genre it was in the PS1/PS2 generations, outside of Forza and GT.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
His site literally gave Forbidden west a 6/10?

I would black list them too especially if their review score doesn't correlate to what they found "wrong" with the game. It was more of a personal choice that they didn't like it. Not that it had fundamentals that were broken or unplayable. A 6/10 to me says there are issues technically in the game or mechanics that dont always work.

I own the game and QOL improvements can bee seen in first couple hours of the game. I agree with it retreading a lot of ground. And agree its not a perfect game. But the QOL improvements with the added freedom and exploration is something only Breath of the wild has been able to achieve. Well Horizon achieves this as well and its world has a lot more living things in it, that really make you stop to watch.

His plan worked to get traffic on his site. Mission accomplished I guess.
If you are going to weaponize your reviews for personal gain, whether it be you platform biases or the one outlier review everyone talks about and clicks on... then don't cry sour grapes when one sees through your shit and slaps you on the nose.

OZ9000

Banned
This is the standout from Stevivor.

Bloodborne - 7.5

Dark Souls 3 - 10
They're a bunch of deluded cunts. They rated Death Stranding 3.5. Lmfao.

GT7 looks interesting although I'm disappointed it's cross-gen. The PS4/PS5 comparison videos are not doing the game any favours. Besides increased resolution and trackside detail, it looks virtually identical.

CobraAB

Oh good lord. 🙄

Yes, cars that go “weeeeeeeeeeeeee” around the track is an absolute sonic sensation.

Fox Mulder

Holy fuck man 88 with 45 reviews in.

R.0a1da00e69c258c82b6360520e876b6a

Polyphony came back strong after Sport. Wow.

Gran Turismo Sport was like Forza Motorsports 5 where they had to bite the bullet and cut cars and tracks to make new assets. It got dinged with reviews but they added tons of cars and tracks for free for a couple years.

Top Bottom