• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Producer Kazunori Yamauchi Discusses Importance of Attention to Detail & Improvement

Business

Importance to details they say, hmm i remember gt6 on ps3 had adaptive tesselation on those premium cars, and i know for sure that it didint had shit like gts has on most cars.
That newest dlc free car. Must be detailed premium yes?
nVSsFfE.jpg

So what is this crap then?
gfYIKmK.jpg

And most cars have that and no dont do photo mode because i dont play in photo mode thats how i see picture while playing on ps4 pro on supersampled mode in quality.
There are even worse looking cars and i looked at them for sure. So how this can be atention to details. Forza cars wouldnt have those stuff that just in your face like that. So if console cant do those reflections on media screen maybe it should be off .
I swear i drove that new car and all time i watched at that media screen reflection.

But you are confusing modelling detail with in game reflections quality.

Last edited:
GT Sport is only PS4 game that I bought (heavy discount) but not even downloaded completely. It has 120+ GB and while downloading it allows you to play 2 or 3 tracks with few cars. It was really bad experience, I tried oval and rally circuit and both felt similar to last GT I played (GT5) - complete lack of speed sense that led to missing braking zones, weird driving model, non existent collision physics... but out of all things, worst was audio. I found it impossible to go back to vacuum cleaners after Driveclub excellent car sounds.
796518.jpg

TurboSpeed

How does first half of 2021 turn into maybe 2022??

First time with Kaz and GranTurismo?

They never meet their release, gt5 was something like 4 years after they announced it thanks to the delays... Even made a prolouge for 5 being so late.

scalman

But you are confusing modelling detail with in game reflections quality.
i think atention to detail is everything, as it was on GT6 at least they showed so much progress for car models with that adaptive tesselation.. and then with next gen it went south kinda. i drive in cockpit only so that what i see...im sorry but its not just reflections as all lines are jaggied like no AA would be on them at all.

dano1

A Sheep

They never meet their release, gt5 was something like 4 years after they announced it thanks to the delays... Even made a prolouge for 5 being so late.

Oh no I’ve bought every GT
I know all about delays but I thought you had real info on a delay already. Believe me I’m expecting one and I’m always fine if they take more time.

TurboSpeed

Oh no I’ve bought every GT
I know all about delays but I thought you had real info on a delay already. Believe me I’m expecting one and I’m always fine if they take more time.

Oh! sorry for not making it clear it’s only a guess😬 Still hoping for 2021, but seems a bit shady since they removed the release window from their playstation trailer with all the upcoming games. :(

sn0man

This is Gran Turismo 7 and we know career mode and tuning and all is back big time, there will be multiplayer modes too but it really seems like this is the real single player GT we’ve asked for. 👌
I hope you’re right...
It’s not gonna be less online than GTS, I’m sure of that. They are officially recognized and partnered with FIA so their online competitions is serious business.
... but assume you are

Last edited:

Fredrik

I hope you’re right...

... but assume you are
It’ll still have a full single player career mode. As with Halo or Gears or any other big multiplayer games with solid single player campaigns the two play styles can coexist. It’ll be awesome. I just hope Sony let it arrive on PC too at some point, should really take the IP to the next level.

scalman

I wish it would be like reboot,new look at series fresh start, shame that dev himself changed now hes more into racers not cars, thats why we got GTS , he even said back then that he thinks game should move on from career events to online races. Then later he said gt7 will be mix of both. So still not clear what will be end result as he might change his views again.
Just nice detailed cars and tracks is not enough anymore, and online races pc have plenty of those games.

Last edited:
No excuses for failing to deliver. PS5 is a console pretty much made for the type of game that studio makes. High pixel fill rate, fast streaming of assets as a specialty, easy to develop for - all rounder. Time to rise to greatness like others within WWS.

Last edited:

Unknown?

For me it's the environments (and spectators) they need to put the most work in terms of graphics. They looked very flat and lifeless in GTS. Trees actually looked worse than even those in GT5.
The city environments however looked much better as if they had put more work on to them.
No they didn't. Go back and actually play GT5 or even 6. Bathurst is a good example to compare. In GTS the trees realistically filter light based on how much thickness of the tree there is. So on the edge where the leaves aren't shaded by other branches the light passes more through them naturally. Also light reflects off of leaves naturally whereas GT5 there is no light reflection.

sublimit

Banned
No they didn't. Go back and actually play GT5 or even 6. Bathurst is a good example to compare. In GTS the trees realistically filter light based on how much thickness of the tree there is. So on the edge where the leaves aren't shaded by other branches the light passes more through them naturally. Also light reflects off of leaves naturally whereas GT5 there is no light reflection.
I actually did went back to GT5 and compared them side by side since i have the "luxury" to have 2 different TV set ups one beside the other (one for PS4 gen consoles and one for PS3 gen consoles).
The trees in GT5 may look more "flat" as 2D objects than those in GTS but their leaves look more natural than those in GTS therefore they look more convincing. In GTS and while in direct sunlight the leaves look as if they are covered by an ugly green plastic membrane that has one or two shade values at most of the same green color.The leaves in GT5 look more detailed and their color schemes are more convincing.At the very least the trees in GT5 didn't constantly distracted my eyes by their ugliness as those in GTS did.
The only times when GTSport's trees looked passable were during the sunset-late afternoon or the dawn hours of the day.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They've released several games that were amazing, especially GT5. They have a right to talk you're the one that needs to STFU as you produce nothing of use.
I guess you didnt buy GT for the PSP? supposed to be a thing near the psp launch
it came out on the 4th rivision of the damn console.

or the GT5 for ps3 Paid demo :pie_roffles:

so yeah this dev srsly needs to STFU and talk after they release

Last edited:

scydrex

Are we finally going to get a proper damage model, night & wet weather races and a rewind function?

Personally don´t care about damage model. I try to run clean and not to hit another car or have an accident. This is not destruction derby or a Dirt game or something like that. Night & wet weather they were in GT5 it has 1 or 2 tracks Special Stage 5 was it? Don't know in GT6. Rewind function i think never. The most probably of those 3 is night & wet weather. Still i don´t think they will add those.

Last edited:

sn0man

It’ll still have a full single player career mode. As with Halo or Gears or any other big multiplayer games with solid single player campaigns the two play styles can coexist. It’ll be awesome. I just hope Sony let it arrive on PC too at some point, should really take the IP to the next level.
I’m all for a developer to branch GT franchise into esports. Racing is a natural fit. I’d love a yearly GTS2020, GTS2021, GTS2022, etc.

That said the entire PS4 generation did not receive a single-player focused GT game. I get that sport was good for those that enjoy it but for me it just wasn’t my thing. I feel every PlayStation should get at least 1 GT game. Every PS got two and the PS4 generation had two consoles and not a single GT7. PD seems a bit mired in development hell.

I can see a future where the addition of an online-focused yearly GT could help relieve the burden on Sony and the team focused on a single player and car modifications might be given room if there was a more annual bite-sized product. Then a GT7 and GT8 could come out on a regular let’s say 4-year basis.

Last edited:

sn0man

I guess you didnt buy GT for the PSP? supposed to be a thing near the psp launch
it came out on the 4th rivision of the damn console.

or the GT5 for ps3 Paid demo :pie_roffles:

so yeah this dev srsly needs to STFU and talk after they release
It’s kind of between the two positions for me. They’re free to talk about an unreleased game but their track record for the last half of their GT releases leaves them wide open to criticism.

I hope GT7 has a comparable amount of content to GT4. GT4 is still GOAT in my book. I didn't mind GT Sport as much as the other guy, but the PS2 games obviously runs circles around it.

ethomaz

Banned

GT5 was announced at E3 2009 and released at December 2010.
GT5P was announced on August 2007 and released at December 2007.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
If this thing came out the same year as Forza Motorsport 8 i bet things gona get messy here with lots of war and comparison video :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Neo_game

I do like the Christmas song menu video that they do every year and replays are important as well. But I am not sure there is any need to put much effort in photo mode, scapes.

With the new controller hopefully it will be more immersive in gameplay and focus should go in proper GT mode with quality in mind. Number of cars and tracks can always be added later.

TurboSpeed

GT5 was announced at E3 2009 and released at December 2010.
GT5P was announced on August 2007 and released at December 2007.

Yep i might be getting senile, i mixed up gran turismo hd concept with 5 sorry will duble check before i post next time.

Business

i think atention to detail is everything, as it was on GT6 at least they showed so much progress for car models with that adaptive tesselation.. and then with next gen it went south kinda. i drive in cockpit only so that what i see...im sorry but its not just reflections as all lines are jaggied like no AA would be on them at all.
What you are highlighting has nothing to do with attention to detail on the models and everything to do with lack of horsepower in the hardware to run the game better. The same model in better hardware wouldn't have the flaws you pointed at.

Barnabot

If this thing came out the same year as Forza Motorsport 8 i bet things gona get messy here with lots of war and comparison video :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm not totally sure but I think Forza has a track record of releasing the game before Kaz finishes polishing the last Miata in Gran Turismo and then he proceeds to polish the Lancer next.

-Arcadia-

Banned
They’ve always been perfectionists. I respect that, but it gives me ongoing concern (the actual type of concern) about the series when creating assets is getting harder and harder, due to the sheer amount of detail that can be included these days.

I think that’s why we got GT Sport. I think that’s why we rarely get GT games. I think that’s partially why GT games out of the PS2 era haven’t really got anyone hyped.

Sometimes I wonder if they’d be better served making simpler models and such, letting them focus on getting games with lots of content and new ideas out in a timely manner. It has served their competitors well.

Then I look at GT Sport’s cars, and my jaw drops, and I’m fine with what they’re doing. It’s complicated. I kind of hope they’ve been developing away all this time, and GTS was a bit of a side-project during that.

Mabdia

They’ve always been perfectionists. I respect that, but it gives me ongoing concern (the actual type of concern) about the series when creating assets is getting harder and harder, due to the sheer amount of detail that can be included these days.

I think that’s why we got GT Sport. I think that’s why we rarely get GT games. I think that’s partially why GT games out of the PS2 era haven’t really got anyone hyped.

Sometimes I wonder if they’d be better served making simpler models and such, letting them focus on getting games with lots of content and new ideas out in a timely manner. It has served their competitors well.

Then I look at GT Sport’s cars, and my jaw drops, and I’m fine with what they’re doing. It’s complicated. I kind of hope they’ve been developing away all this time, and GTS was a bit of a side-project during that.
I think that PlayStation need another studio making assets and even releasing games (with other names) for GT. The guys from Evolution could have done this.

They could share assets for some cars and other things with PD and PD with them. This way, Sony would have 2 studios basically doing the same thing but in a different way.

I think that is probably what MS has done with Forza. 2 studios might share some of the work that is possible to be shared and everyone gets a better product.

Mabdia

Are we finally going to get a proper damage model, night & wet weather races and a rewind function?

Don't get me wrong but if you need a rewind function, you are playing the wrong game.

There are a lot of games like Need for Speed and eve Grid. Good games.

What wee need on GT is some mechanical damage system and also a brake temperature system. That would me awesome. Aestetical damage system is useless. Just something to waste the power of the console.

Phobos Base

You can rewind by restarting the race.

By that logic we shouldn't have mid level checkpoints or extra lives either. Plus if we're going to use the immersion argument then it shouldn't allow you to use a behind car view or hit a wall at 100mph with only a light scratch to the bumper either. It's been near standard feature since the 360, including on more sim focussed games like Forza or the F1 series

Karppuuna

There should be more settings options for players, past GT games doesn't even have a FOV slider, what is basic and very important feature in racing simulator.

Last edited:

Hudo

By that logic we shouldn't have mid level checkpoints or extra lives either. Plus if we're going to use the immersion argument then it shouldn't allow you to use a behind car view or hit a wall at 100mph with only a light scratch to the bumper either. It's been near standard feature since the 360, including on more sim focussed games like Forza or the F1 series
Chill, I was just fucking with you a bit. I'd say that argument is rather that Polyphony Digital just don't want Gran Turismo to have rewind, it's a deliberate choice, not ignorance or being "backwards".

From a personal preference point of view, I have to say that I have never and (probably?) will never use any rewind feature because it removes too much consequence of fucking up in the race. But I can understand why some people might want that feature.
I don't believe that Polyphony are ignorant of its existence but rather that Yamauchi has decided that that's not what GT is about.

Senua

Importance to details they say, hmm i remember gt6 on ps3 had adaptive tesselation on those premium cars, and i know for sure that it didint had shit like gts has on most cars.
That newest dlc free car. Must be detailed premium yes?
nVSsFfE.jpg

So what is this crap then?
gfYIKmK.jpg

And most cars have that and no dont do photo mode because i dont play in photo mode thats how i see picture while playing on ps4 pro on supersampled mode in quality.
There are even worse looking cars and i looked at them for sure. So how this can be atention to details. Forza cars wouldnt have those stuff that just in your face like that. So if console cant do those reflections on media screen maybe it should be off .
I swear i drove that new car and all time i watched at that media screen reflection.
That's called limitations of the system you boob

Phobos Base

Chill, I was just fucking with you a bit. I'd say that argument is rather that Polyphony Digital just don't want Gran Turismo to have rewind, it's a deliberate choice, not ignorance or being "backwards".

From a personal preference point of view, I have to say that I have never and (probably?) will never use any rewind feature because it removes too much consequence of fucking up in the race. But I can understand why some people might want that feature.
I don't believe that Polyphony are ignorant of its existence but rather that Yamauchi has decided that that's not what GT is about.

Didn't intend for my response to come across as confrontational. I just find it odd that many GT fans treat rewind as the devil and resort to the "git gud" arguments, despite the fact it already has a load of unrealistic assists like lack of real damage or mechanical failure, traction control, automatic or clutchless manual gears, chase cam, racing line etc etc. Besides, if people didn't want to use it they don't have to.

Skifi28

I felt that GTSport was first and foremost designed for those who had driving wheels more than any other GT.Dualshock 4 usability was more of an afterthought something that they had to do. If you tried to play the game with a controller and no help whatsoever from the game (like automatic braking,stability etc) the game could easily become frustrating while with the help it became too easy. I always play with controller and never felt that way with any other GT before Sport. I hope for GT7 they find a better balance between driving wheel and controller users especially since the dualsense can potentially really elevate the experience.
That's an interesting take. I actually thought the exact opposite with all assists off of course. I've never felt such precision with a controller on a sim before, it's the first time I ever felt the game was actually tuned for a controller. Even previous GT games are just on the OK side. Forza 6-7 doesn't even register, I feel like the car does its own thing there with occasional consideration for my input. Stuff like Assetto Corsa and Project cars 1-2 are downright unplayable.

sublimit

Banned
That's an interesting take. I actually thought the exact opposite with all assists off of course. I've never felt such precision with a controller on a sim before, it's the first time I ever felt the game was actually tuned for a controller. Even previous GT games are just on the OK side. Forza 6-7 doesn't even register, I feel like the car does its own thing there with occasional consideration for my input. Stuff like Assetto Corsa and Project cars 1-2 are downright unplayable.
Well you are a much better player than me then. :) I don't know but for me the game felt frustrating (without all the assists).And that was the first time i felt like that with any GT game.

Top Bottom