• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 Producer Kazunori Yamauchi Discusses Importance of Attention to Detail & Improvement

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Yamauchi-san mentioned that Polyphony Digital always pursues the best and don’t want to make concessions on anything. This is no longer just Yamauchi-san’s own way of thinking, but the mindset of all 200 or so staff at the studio.

In Japan they say “Divinity comes to reside in the details” and Yamauchi-san believes that it’s true. How much attention you pay to the fine details, how you hone things to perfection, and applying incredible amount of attention to this is Polyphony’s production style.

Quite interesting is the fact that Yamauchi mentions 200 or so staff at Polyphony Digital. The latest official figure was 170, so it’s quite possible that the studio may have staffed up to tackle the final stretch of development of Gran Turismo 7.

Later in the stream, Yamauchi-san mentioned that the developers at Polyphony have watched the growth of the drivers in the Gran Turismo Sport competitive scene over time, and they always exceed expectations and continue to move ever forward. And even for the Gran Turismo development team, this made them realize that they must also continue to grow and improve themselves toward the future. The GT Sport competitors gave them the courage to do so.

Naibel

I became addicted to GTS more than I thought I would. I dunno why but Forza 7 is nowhere near as fun, despite being prettier. With that said, I want GT7 to beef up its solo campaign and become a true racing RPG, because you can clearly see GTS's GT League was an after-thought.

Shoutout to Abriael_GN Abriael_GN for the article btw

Caio

I can't wait for this one, and I'm confident it will be a masterpiece considering the passion and talent of PD and the PS5 unique hardware.

scalman

WR9
DIRT 5
Thats rally games. I mean gt forza style game where you buy car do events upgradr car do events sell car buy new car and so on. Last time it was many yrs ago forza 7 that was just too long ago. I love gts but its just not same, and now wait even more?

kyussman

I bet GT7 will be a dream to play on the new DualSense....I loved how GTSport felt on a contoller already but couldn't get on with that game because,well I'm a bit shit at competitive online,lol.....looking forward to a nice big GT7 campaign though!

scalman

But on 2022 only ? ...ouch. they lucky that there is no much competition just one other game in same style. If there would be 2 more games this would be in big problem i think. I will play any other game that will come out sooner.

SkylineRKR

GT5 was a mistake and proved less is more. The game was all over the place. Its probably one of the least polished games I have played. The standard cars ruined the immersion, it was bad closing in on a PS2 or even lower car model. I avoided standard cars like the plague, but a shit ton events had them and required to use one. The Top Gear track, why? the races on it with the Sambabus were god fucking awful. Rally was awful and bare bones. Nascar was a joke with like 12 cars and awful as well. The framerate was awful, it never felt like it hit 60.

GT5 should've trimmed all this. I had more fun with Prologue honestly, it was polished at least. I'm in the camp that thinks GTS is the best GT in a long ass time. It trimmed the fat, has brilliant online play. Awesome graphics and framerate.

Hudo

Anyone here who knows which Japanese proverb or saying is attributed to "Divinity comes to reside in the details"? I've tried searching for it but couldn't find anything, other than this interview, of course...

sublimit

Banned
I bet GT7 will be a dream to play on the new DualSense....I loved how GTSport felt on a contoller already but couldn't get on with that game because,well I'm a bit shit at competitive online,lol.....looking forward to a nice big GT7 campaign though!
I felt that GTSport was first and foremost designed for those who had driving wheels more than any other GT.Dualshock 4 usability was more of an afterthought something that they had to do. If you tried to play the game with a controller and no help whatsoever from the game (like automatic braking,stability etc) the game could easily become frustrating while with the help it became too easy. I always play with controller and never felt that way with any other GT before Sport. I hope for GT7 they find a better balance between driving wheel and controller users especially since the dualsense can potentially really elevate the experience.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Question was to not throw out 500 working cars without remodelling visuals or not.
And yet their competition wasn't using car models from previous generation. They left them only to pad the number of cars, so they wouldn't look worse than Forza Motorsport. Last good Gran Turismo was released on PS2 and I really don't understand why Sony still keep PD instead of making new studio. This time competent one.

Gojko_of_Rivia

Neo Member
GT Sport is only PS4 game that I bought (heavy discount) but not even downloaded completely. It has 120+ GB and while downloading it allows you to play 2 or 3 tracks with few cars. It was really bad experience, I tried oval and rally circuit and both felt similar to last GT I played (GT5) - complete lack of speed sense that led to missing braking zones, weird driving model, non existent collision physics... but out of all things, worst was audio. I found it impossible to go back to vacuum cleaners after Driveclub excellent car sounds.

Unknown?

GT5 was a mistake and proved less is more. The game was all over the place. Its probably one of the least polished games I have played. The standard cars ruined the immersion, it was bad closing in on a PS2 or even lower car model. I avoided standard cars like the plague, but a shit ton events had them and required to use one. The Top Gear track, why? the races on it with the Sambabus were god fucking awful. Rally was awful and bare bones. Nascar was a joke with like 12 cars and awful as well. The framerate was awful, it never felt like it hit 60.

GT5 should've trimmed all this. I had more fun with Prologue honestly, it was polished at least. I'm in the camp that thinks GTS is the best GT in a long ass time. It trimmed the fat, has brilliant online play. Awesome graphics and framerate.
I agree but not many others do. Don't you remember the shitstorm caused when GTS went back to GT3 amount of cars? Even at over 300 people to this day claim there aren't enough.

And yet their competition wasn't using car models from previous generation. They left them only to pad the number of cars, so they wouldn't look worse than Forza Motorsport. Last good Gran Turismo was released on PS2 and I really don't understand why Sony still keep PD instead of making new studio. This time competent one.
Forza models aren't even close to GT models, last gen or this gen. One only needs side-by-side photos to see just how much improvement Sport is from GT6 models.

Last edited:

scalman

I clearly remember those devs and some other devs said that make new games on new consoles will take less time so we will get new games faster now, though here we are...

scalman

I agree but not many others do. Don't you remember the shitstorm caused when GTS went back to GT3 amount of cars? Even at over 300 people to this day claim there aren't enough.

Forza models aren't even close to GT models, last gen or this gen. One only needs side-by-side photos to see just how much improvement Sport is from GT6 models.
Nah i like f7 for some things much better then gts , at least it doesnt have more polished car models and then less polished wirh jaggied lines like they in your face with so fake shadows on some cockpit parts that it hurts. No such bs on f7 .

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
As much as I hate the wait, as long as we don't wait forever and then get a broken game, I'll wait.

Unknown?

Nah i like f7 for some things much better then gts , at least it doesnt have more polished car models and then less polished wirh jaggied lines like they in your face with so fake shadows on some cockpit parts that it hurts. No such bs on f7 .
Oh I agree they need to fix shadows but the subject i was replying to was strictly about models. F7 definitely doesn't have as good of lighting though, hopefully they both get lighting even better this gen.

Mabdia

I just suck at GTS. Yet it's the most played game that I have this gen. Suffered a lot to get it's plat but it was so much fun. More than a year to get it.

Now, after some years of delay I'm playing GT6 for the first time and GT5(a come back). And all I can say is that these games are as good as GTS. It feels like the base to GTS is there. Amazing gameplay that only the Dualshock 3 broken. But I'm using a adapter to play it with DS4. It is like another game when played with a good controller. Since I don't have no money to spend on a wheel, I play it on ds4.

That being said... all that I want is a robust single player mode as GT 4, but not with the boring grind for credits like 5 and Sport, with the amazing online like GTS.
If PD can give me that, I'm totally satisfied.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I just suck at GTS. Yet it's the most played game that I have this gen. Suffered a lot to get it's plat but it was so much fun. More than a year to get it.

Now, after some years of delay I'm playing GT6 for the first time and GT5(a come back). And all I can say is that these games are as good as GTS. It feels like the base to GTS is there. Amazing gameplay that only the Dualshock 3 broken. But I'm using a adapter to play it with DS4. It is like another game when played with a good controller. Since I don't have no money to spend on a wheel, I play it on ds4.

That being said... all that I want is a robust single player mode as GT 4, but not with the boring grind for credits like 5 and Sport, with the amazing online like GTS.
If PD can give me that, I'm totally satisfied.
Yeah that sounds like a good balance. GT4 had the best campaign and GTS makes online play fun. I hated GT5/6 and Forza online but GTS is head and shoulders above those games online.

scalman

Importance to details they say, hmm i remember gt6 on ps3 had adaptive tesselation on those premium cars, and i know for sure that it didint had shit like gts has on most cars.
That newest dlc free car. Must be detailed premium yes?
nVSsFfE.jpg

So what is this crap then?
gfYIKmK.jpg

And most cars have that and no dont do photo mode because i dont play in photo mode thats how i see picture while playing on ps4 pro on supersampled mode in quality.
There are even worse looking cars and i looked at them for sure. So how this can be atention to details. Forza cars wouldnt have those stuff that just in your face like that. So if console cant do those reflections on media screen maybe it should be off .
I swear i drove that new car and all time i watched at that media screen reflection.

Unknown?

Importance to details they say, hmm i remember gt6 on ps3 had adaptive tesselation on those premium cars, and i know for sure that it didint had shit like gts has on most cars.
nVSsFfE.jpg

gfYIKmK.jpg

And most cars have that and no dont do photo mode because i dont play in photo mode thats how i see picture while playing on ps4 pro on supersampled mode in quality.
There are even worse looking cars and i looked at them for sure. So how this can be atention to details. Forza cars wouldnt have those stuff that just in your face like that. So if console cant do those reflections on media screen maybe it should be off .
I swear i drove that new car and all time i watched at that media screen reflection.
The actual models are fine and of higher quality than Forza it's just shadows. A simple side by side shows this. They have to make limitations somewhere. Forza has limitations everywhere too and the trackside details like trees are less realistic.

Last edited:

scalman

Oh I agree they need to fix shadows but the subject i was replying to was strictly about models. F7 definitely doesn't have as good of lighting though, hopefully they both get lighting even better this gen.
F7 at least dont have fake shadows as gts have they just drawn on top as shadows. After some real time lighting and shadows drop on cockpits like in horizon 4 i cant stand gts cockpit shadows anymore it just looks old .we all need to move from that to real time.

scalman

The actual models are fine and of higher quality than Forza it's just shadows. A simple side by side shows this. They have to make limitations somewhere. Forza has limitations everywhere too and the trackside details like trees are less realistic.
Shadows and all lines that bended or round or mirrors or anything that was good on ps3 game now looks bad somehow.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
For me it's the environments (and spectators) they need to put the most work in terms of graphics. They looked very flat and lifeless in GTS. Trees actually looked worse than even those in GT5.
The city environments however looked much better as if they had put more work on to them.

scydrex

nVSsFfE.jpg

gfYIKmK.jpg

Do you play with zoom?

scalman

Do you play with zoom?
I zoomed it there yes but i can see that clearly while drive for sure and thats just there those lines. How about some more atention to details level GTS
DDNxk6p.jpg

I couldnt even drive that viper after i bought it , its just not good rly.
Can gts engine on ps4 even do any tesselation there or AA on lines? Im not sure how they even releasing those kinda cockpits to us?
and that poor impreza wrx just looks bad outside too and inside. Then some cars have good details all over so not sure whats going on there.
and i love gts i bought it day one, but its gets old or smt just wrong there with tech .

Last edited:

scalman

Gts sound is much much better for sure. Still not best maybe but its good now for sure. Again some cars sounds better then others still similar to detailed cars situation not all equaly good.

sncvsrtoip

nVSsFfE.jpg

gfYIKmK.jpg

watch df comparison gt sport vs forza 7 and gt sport has cleary better graphics overall but it's still ps4 game that target stable 60fps so compromises must be done

Last edited:
Top Bottom