• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 has been largely unplayable for half a day due to extended server maintenance (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

Gran Turismo 7 has been largely unplayable for almost half a day due to an extended server maintenance period.

Because of an issue found in the game’s latest update, its servers have been down for over 10 hours at the time of publication, leaving fans eager to play the racer frustrated.

Gran Turismo 7 is highly dependent on players having an online connection. The only part of it that is accessible without being connected to the internet is its arcade mode.

“Due to an issue found in Update 1.07, we will be extending the Server Maintenance period,” the Gran Turismo Twitter account posted earlier on Thursday.

“We will notify everyone as soon as possible when this is likely to be completed. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask for your patience while we work to resolve the issue.”

Prior to the game’s release, Polyphony Digital CEO Kazunori Yamauchi said Gran Turismo 7’s campaign requires an internet connection in order to combat cheating.

He told Eurogamer the requirement was “just to prevent cheating overall from people trying to modify the save data, so that’s the reason for the online connection”.

Yamauchi added: “The online connection is required for the campaign mode. The only part of the game that doesn’t require an online connection is the arcade mode, because that has no effect on the save data, so that’s possible.

“But anything that has to do with the save data requires a connection. For example things like the livery data as well – that’s something that is downloaded from the online server.”

rolandss

Man locking the single player behind an always online connection was a major design mistake and this couldn’t have been a better example of it. I’m really enjoying the game but I was pretty angry last night. They need to change it and allow us to do local saves. The “cheating” explanation seems wild. Also what do they care if people cheat in single player? Or are they talking about the Sport mode (which you need online for anyway?)

[Sigma]

This definitely isn't a good look. The negative effects of mtx and always online showed itself in one day of this game and could over shadow a great driving game. If this were other companies, they might get away with it. We let some companies do this while calling out others. Sony is definitely held to a higher standard. But ive said it time and time again, PlayStation has become shittier with their practices and more antagonistic toward it's own fanbase since Jim and Hermen took over.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I paid 70 fucking dollers plus 500 for the console. If i want to sit my happy ass on a recliner and smash into AI cars cus i cant be bothered by breaking around corners then thats my prerogative. It shouldnt be gate kept period.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Closer

Like the internet you pay for that's allegedly going out so always online would be a problem regardless?

Yup. Why pay for anything if go outside and do something is what you have to do after? Just enjoy what's free I guess. We are spoiled for having to pay and expect to use it anyways.

Yup. Why pay for anything if go outside and do something is what you have to do after? Just enjoy what's free I guess. We are spoiled for having to pay and expect to use it anyways.
Or....or......play something that doesn't need internet until whenever. Or go outside, lord knows a lot of folks need to.

DinoD

I paid 70 fucking dollers plus 500 for the console. If i want to sit my happy ass on a recliner and smash into AI cars cus i cant be bothered by breaking around corners then thats my prerogative. It shouldnt be gate kept period.
So fckn what? Shit happens. I understand what you want, but life is not always going to give it to ya. No matter how much you pay for it.

So fckn what? Shit happens. I understand what you want, but life is not always going to give it to ya. No matter how much you pay for it.
What an asanine argument.

Imagine a crook breaks into you house steals your playstion and the cop says "Shit happens. I understand what you want, but life is not always going to give it to ya. No matter how much you pay for it." "Go play outside or something"

NickFire

This is not cool at all. Totally unacceptable if they want this to be always online. I can accept always online but not if they can’t handle the load.

Top Bottom