• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 coming to PSVR2 | Project Leonardo, a new accessible controller for PlayStation 5 announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...ly-customizable-accessibility-controller-kit/

Introducing Project Leonardo for PS5, a highly customizable accessibility controller kit designed to help players with disabilities play more easily, more comfortably, and for longer periods.

Accessibility is an important topic to us at PlayStation, and we want to continue raising the bar to enable every gamer to experience the joy of play. Whether it’s the robust accessibility options in PlayStation Studios games like Sony Santa Monica’s God of War Ragnarök or Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part I, or the wide array of features in our PS4 and PS5 console UI, we’re passionate about reducing barriers to play for every gamer.

Today at CES, we announced the next step in our journey to make gaming more accessible: Project Leonardo for PlayStation 5. Developed with key contributions from accessibility experts, community members, and game developers, Project Leonardo is our codename for a new highly customizable controller kit that works “out of the box” to help many players with disabilities play games more easily, more comfortably, and for longer periods.

Flq_UcLakAEBPDb
Flq_T8-akAAKcFs

Flq_XmUaAAE2nlq
Flq-6zSaUAcW97W

Last edited:

hlm666

The visuals seem to have taken a bigger hit than I would have expected after how good re village looked. I guess it makes sense if they are going for a locked 120hz, I normally settle for some framerate dips when dialing in sims in pcvr to keep visuals up but that could very well make some people sick.

Now onto the actual best thing here, the controller. It's about fucking time Sony, but the upside is it looks like they have done an even better job than MS here. Well done Sony, this is gonna make the day for a few people I know aswell as the inevitable new ones I'll meet this year. Best thing to come out of ces, now I just need to see some prices.

Romulus

God damn, imagine console gamers that have been playing GT and Forza and have never tried VR using this for the first time. Basically like ps1 to ps5 level jump.

Crayon

you can really notice the foveated rendering on the right and left sides of the image. it shouldnt even be noticable while your wearing the headset.

Ah yeah. I was wondering what it would look like on the tv output. I hope you can have it display where your gaze it. Actually, that's useless. I should hope they use the eye tracking to stabilize the tv output.

In what form, though? The whole game inc multiplayer playable in VR or is it just like GTSport where you could race against 1 AI opponent that was so bad you could lap it in a 3 lap race…

Three

In what form, though? The whole game inc multiplayer playable in VR or is it just like GTSport where you could race against 1 AI opponent that was so bad you could lap it in a 3 lap race…
I was thinking exactly this when I watched the announcement. The whole thing would be amazing.

Crayon

Xbox's accessibility seems a bit better, also a dick move old Jimmy did when he said "You can link one Leonardo to another" so yea, you'd have to buy TWO...

Seemed like you could link it to a lot of things. What do you want them to do? Sell them in mandatory bundles of 2?

Fools idol

Banned
Cant wait to share this with my kid brother and my nephew. The lil dude loves cars and games but can't play with a traditional controller due to disabilities, this thing will solve that problem and I am fucking in for it.

Good job Sony.

Imtjnotu

you can really notice the foveated rendering on the right and left sides of the image. it shouldnt even be noticable while your wearing the headset.
i dont think there is a way to capture the rendering yet. i dont think we can record exactly where your eyes are set and record your eye tracking for video playback

the capture off of the ps5 (guessing here) just captures the entire scene.

Skifi28

also a dick move old Jimmy did when he said "You can link one Leonardo to another" so yea, you'd have to buy TWO...
The point is that it works for whatever accessibility setup one might want to have, obviously you'd have to buy two much like you'd want to buy a PS5 to go along as well as a TV.

Last edited:

Tommi84

Was always envy and proud how MS was doing those accessibility devices.

Happy that Sony followed suit

midnightAI

i dont think there is a way to capture the rendering yet. i dont think we can record exactly where your eyes are set and record your eye tracking for video playback

the capture off of the ps5 (guessing here) just captures the entire scene.
Well, it has to capture what the eyes are seeing (it will be just one eye viewpoint that is sent to the TV so that is what will be captured) otherwise the PS5 would have to render 3 viewpoints, one for the left eye (foveated), one for the right eye (foveated) and one of the whole scene (not foveated), the PS5 can't handle that or foveated wouldn't be needed at all.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Well at least GT7 will offer actual racing this time. What they did in GTS was a travesty and I wouldn't call a game with so few options a VR compatible title.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Will it have every track though and can you replay the campaign in VR..? That is the question folks that's not answered.

Last edited:

skit_data

Good to see GT7 coming to PSVR2, kinda curious they didn’t announce it before opening pre-orders though. If they’d announce Alyx coming to it somewhere in between now and launch people would probably be a bit pissed tbh.

hlm666

Xbox's accessibility seems a bit better, also a dick move old Jimmy did when he said "You can link one Leonardo to another" so yea, you'd have to buy TWO...
It's not a dick move, it helps save a bit of money and it's why not much comes with the MS one either. You could have someone who lost an arm able to use one side of a controller then just buy the one of these correlating to the side they need to use with their foot.

I hate PSVR (VR in general) so much now that I want all these posts in their own thread, so I only have to ignore one PSVR thread. Neogaf please stop these insufferable posts.
such a strong feeling to have about something so meaningless.

unless of course you got cheated on with a PSVR.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Many years late on the accessible controller, but I guess better late than never.

Top Bottom