• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

Matt_Fox

Why arent more people talking about ATOMIC HEART? It looks bonkers brilliant, like a next gen Bioshock.

This trailer for me was the surprise package of the conference but I feel like I'm the only who noticed it?!

bihOmgR.jpg
4UssVS3.jpg
faBSlYd.jpg

Aion002

Why arent more people talking about ATOMIC HEART? It looks bonkers brilliant, like a next gen Bioshock.

This trailer for me was the surprise package of the conference but I feel like I'm the only who noticed it?!

bihOmgR.jpg
4UssVS3.jpg
faBSlYd.jpg
Fucking yes!

It's also on game pass! I was more hyped for it than Stalker.

Anyway, for me it was a solid B! Great show! Many things that I want and are coming to game pass.

Matt_Fox

The music for the Atomic Heart trailer was definitely a curveball... if they'd have gone with some generic Hans Zimmer type soundtrack I think it would have made a big difference.

Last edited:

J3nga

Even though there weren't any announcements they made my balls explode and this year is kind of dry for me, '22 is well stacked(considering no delays will happen) and conference is miles ahead the rest of them snooze fest conferences.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don’t get the hype over Flight Simulator, tbh. Yeah it looks nice, but when I play a game, I actually want it to be a game. I don’t see how it’s interesting to play FS for more than a half hour, tops. What am I missing?

Same here. I have "been" with FS since Win95 as my uncle and cousin are huuuge aviation fans/freaks and para gliders, so I've seen pretty much everything around the franchise and its community, but I personally was never into it, never will, because it's a sim after all, aimed towards specific audience, you have people sitting with headphones acting as literal flight controllers, letting other people land and take off, which lane to approach etc. that's the kind of audience the "game" is after. So while looking phenomenal, I don't think it'll be warmly welcome by the console crowd, unless the controls will be simplified/automated to the maximum.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Them: "GamePass will be home to a bunch of B tier filler games."

Me: These fools have no idea what they're talking about.

*Watches E3 2021*

Me: Ok, maybe they're not fools per say.

The issue with the XBox showing was the lack of even a single crown jewel type game. Nothing that will really generate buzz. Hopefully those are coming at their next E3.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
B - I'm in on gamepass on PC. Beats spending 70 bucks for games like Ratchet, which so far is great and 500 bucks for access to exclusives when I already have a PC.

alb@tros

Neo Member
B. It was a good show. I think it’s a good time to for gamers to have a combo game pass/ps5. So you will not miss great games for this generation.

DavidGzz

A lot of it actually looks last-gen if you have a keen eye to see it.

Still looks incredible, I viewed the whole demo in 4k on my CX. The environment is a big step up from FH4 which was already great looking. I think you'll always be able to find things like this in open world games, even current gen.

Renozokii

I thought it was a good show and the games looked great. But I dont like all games.

Defiantly one of MS's better showings the last 5 years.
With maybe 2 of their first parties shown actually launching this year I just refuse to call the show good or better. If Sony or Nintendo showed cgi trailers for every game they have coming by the end of 2023 they’d have some pretty bomb ass shows too.

*Watches E3 2021*

The issue with the XBox showing was the lack of even a single crown jewel type game. Nothing that will really generate buzz. Hopefully those are coming at their next E3.

I was a bit disappointed at the avalanche of first person games, if it wasn’t for the indie stuff the show would of been utterly meh for me. Admittedly part of this is my own fault , I want some of their stuff to be more like Sony’s and that’s misguided on my part probably.

Shubh_C63

The music for the Atomic Heart trailer was definitely a curveball... if they'd have gone with some generic Hans Zimmer type soundtrack I think it would have made a big difference.
Exactly. Terrible music selection there, the trailer on mute looks so good.

Edit : Didn't knew a gameplay trailer already exists for Atmoic heart a year ago

Last edited:

Renozokii

Not for me. I don't care about Zelda and Mario either. More power to you if you enjoy cartoons still.

Idk how I missed the Spanish since I speak it fluently. Odd. I'll have to watch it again. And that AI was 10x hotter than Abby and Aloy lol
You just sound like a straight up moron dismissing ratchet, Mario, and Zelda as just cartoon games. It’s fine not to like more family friendly games but saying it in such an overtly dudebro way is just dumb. Not to mention immediately moving on to defending halo with the logic of wanting to bang one character from there more than characters from other entirely, unrelated games. Spoiler alert, none of em are real.

GC_DALBEN

Horrible conference, the only good thing was fh5, I love horizon games, one of my favorite franchises ever, can't wait to play fh5, I was excited for this conference, maybe my expectations were too high.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The big news was Halo Infinite's MP being F2P. That's a real indication of where the wind is blowing.

Been telling people for a long time now. They absolutely will need to claw back the lost income from pushing everything out on GP somehow. And the most obvious way to do that is to go full-on GaaS and/or MTX heavy. I'd expect to see that sort of structure (SP camapign on GP, F2P for MP) repeated increasingly often going forwards.

The big news was Halo Infinite's MP being F2P. That's a real indication of where the wind is blowing.

Been telling people for a long time now. They absolutely will need to claw back the lost income from pushing everything out on GP somehow. And the most obvious way to do that is to go full-on GaaS and/or MTX heavy. I'd expect to see that sort of structure (SP camapign on GP, F2P for MP) repeated increasingly often going forwards.

Considering that was already known since last year, I don't see how that is big news lol.

I thought it was a strong show. Obviously covid had pushed back big projects like perfect dark. But the value proposition of xbox game pass is just getting more and more insane. Well done Xbox.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

They did a good job trying to sell you on Game Pass, which looked like their main objective.

However, most of what they showed was multiplatform, and when it came to exclusives, a lot of what they previously showed was missing (which is concerning). For the exclusives that were presented there, it was the usual Microsoft problem of pointless CG trailers that really tell you nothing. Looking back, I think Halo, Forza and Flight Simulator were the only exclusive games that presented in-game graphics.

This show was a B+ if Game Pass is how you play most of your games these days. But, it's a D-, if you don't care about Game Pass and you're looking for a reason to buy an Xbox over a PS5 / Nintendo Switch in terms of exclusive content.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Has anyone from the influencer side marked this show low?

Kinda funny, and more on the brief glance i looked at on twitter seem to be rating this conference extremely high. A rank etc. I thought it was a solid case but not the mega conference I had hoped for.

ZywyPL

Banned

That's what they've been doing for years really - Gears, Halo, Forza, SoT etc. all their games which have either MP or co-op component already have a ton of post-launch support. That's one of the reasons they can afford something like GP in the first place.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

*Watches E3 2021*

It's not just Microsoft or Xbox. It's just the subscription model. You will get lots of filler to good-ish content, but very rarely you will see a true marquee piece of content.

Like Netflix vs. Cinema. On Netflix, you will get more content than you can ever watch, but very rarely you will find something 10/10 -- a life-changing experience. In Cinemas, you won't have the convenience or cost-effectiveness of Netflix, but you will get high-quality content more often, relatively speaking, e.g., Avatar, Inception, Lord of the Rings, Dark Knight, etc.

If Xbox's focus is to release games by timeline (e.g., 1 game per 3 months), you know how they are prioritizing the content pipeline over content quality. If they slow down the pipeline and put things in the oven for a longer time to polish it or create something unique or truly blockbuster, it will disturb their content pipeline, and, therefore, the subscription growth rate.

Disclaimer: Just used Xbox's pipeline as an example. It will be the same for Netflix, Disney+, or any other gaming or non-gaming subscription service by any company.

:messenger_pensive: I’m just legitimately looking forward to Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo this year. For me that’s a really strong end to the year and I would have bought all 4 if Game Pass didn’t exist.

Hey man i aint gonna knock that

It was pretty good all things considered. I'm still recovering from that travesty Redfall so my views are heavily biased right now.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Having thought about it a bit, I have to say this conference really did feel like every other XBox conference… it’s just that everything else this E3 has been so utterly fucking terrible, it’s a lot better by comparison.

While there were a few games showcased that will be popular, there weren’t any ‘megatons’ and I didn’t see much that would shift the dial in terms of Xbox’s popularity against Playstation.

Again, GamePass was absolutely the best thing about the show, which is great for existing XBox and PC fans, but does nothing to really get people to move from the Playstation eco system. At least it hasn’t so far…

If XBox was trying to change the conversation, they kinda failed. If they were just trying to sell GamePass, they succeeded very well.

The conference was awesome. Way better than Sony's. My broke ass has all platforms, well besides that weak tablet called a Switch. Not wanting to spend money needlessly doesn't mean you're broke, child. It means you're smart with your money.

Uhuh

I'm a generous man. Drop me a line when your broke ass is struggling with that gamepass bill and i'll see what I can do

Topher

Gold Member
I just now watched the show. I give it a solid C. I wanted to see more Starfield but that trailer did absolutely nothing for me. We heard Fable and Perfect Dark were not going to be shown and unfortunately, that was the case. So outside of TES 6, two of my three most anticipated games from Microsoft were not there and the third had no game play. And I don't know what that Arkane vampire Redfall thing is but that's not what I was hoping for from the Dishonored and Prey devs.

On the positive side, Forza Horizon 5 looks great and was the highlight of the show for me. Atomic Heart and Somerville look pretty interesting. That Outer Worlds 2 reveal trailer was hilarious.

Overall, the show did seem a bit shooter heavy, but it was good, not great.

The conference was awesome. Way better than Sony's.

Way better than Sony's conference? Huh?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Having thought about it a bit, I have to say this conference really did feel like every other XBox conference… it’s just that everything else this E3 has been so utterly fucking terrible, it’s a lot better by comparison.

While there were a few games showcased that will be popular, there weren’t any ‘megatons’ and I didn’t see much that would shift the dial in terms of Xbox’s popularity against Playstation.

Again, GamePass was absolutely the best thing about the show, which is great for existing XBox and PC fans, but does nothing to really get people to move from the Playstation eco system. At least it hasn’t so far…

If XBox was trying to change the conversation, they kinda failed. If they were just trying to sell GamePass, they succeeded very well.

Does microsoft even care about playstation at this point? Seems like they are much more focused on the PC crowd.

reksveks

Does microsoft even care about playstation at this point? Seems like they are much more focused on the PC crowd.
Basically PC and the casual crowd. I do wonder with the money that Microsoft has spent, they clearly have gone into a different route in terms of games. It's all WRPG and FPS that we know of. I think it's kinda counter programming.

Kenpachii

This doesn't mean much. Most of that money could be made with 3rd party games that xbox also has, or console sales which will sky rocket revenue anyway. Its also clear microsoft goal is not to sell as much xbox boxes as they can, or else they would have locked all the games away from PC which they for example did with there old consoles. It's clear through interviews, that consoles sales aren't there priority its getting gamepass on every single platform even tv's and mobiles. Because lets be honest, how much money is sony making with those PS5's for example, probably nothing, its just to strap them into there echo system which microsoft does with gamepass anyway.

If microsoft wants to counter sony, why would they not massively invest in console like IP's that involve single player experiences that sony is also doing. Why even bother with a halo games that runs at 120 fps has lots of players on the screen? Seems fucking pointless, just make a corridor fest super high detailed halo set piece walker and scrap multiplayer entirely. Why invest into a IP like stalker which is PC centric. Why invest into forza that is based around multiplayer. Why bother investing money into age of empires? Why even bother buying bethesda which is also by the way heavily PC focused with all there online titles and PC games + PC store.

It's very clear they are moving into the PC market. And with halo and 120 fps with probably a big push into the multiplayer PC market with tournaments to gain that microtransaction / e-sport money. I don't see how playstation is much relevant towards them as they are pretty much complete the opposite. As they are much like nintendo at this point, doing there own thing.

Honestly i don't see playstation being much relevant towards microsoft other then having a number fight.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

You just sound like a straight up moron dismissing ratchet, Mario, and Zelda as just cartoon games. It’s fine not to like more family friendly games but saying it in such an overtly dudebro way is just dumb. Not to mention immediately moving on to defending halo with the logic of wanting to bang one character from there more than characters from other entirely, unrelated games. Spoiler alert, none of em are real.

Sony Fanboy made fun of new Cortanas looks when Sony games have some of the ugliest females ever. I thought it was ironic. I'm not hard up like a full grown man who plays cartoons. Quit projecting.

HYDE

Banned
Why isn’t F available? I have seen a lot of bad MS Conferences…but this one needed to hit hard more than any before it. Not much except please be excited!

John Wick

In engine is not CGI, please try harder.
Halo Infinite multiplayer looked amazing and that's running at 120fps, no other first party is producing online multiplayer like that.
Flight Simulator just looks incredible for a console game, truly a jaw dropping visual showcase.
Starfield was in engine and looked leaps ahead of Fallout 4, I'm sure the scale of that will be huge, that's what impressed me, the huge online commitment and the sheer scale of the games, that's what I wanted to see.
In engine video isn't representive of gameplay. There was no gameplay for these titles but scripted cutscenes.

John Wick

Still looks incredible, I viewed the whole demo in 4k on my CX. The environment is a big step up from FH4 which was already great looking. I think you'll always be able to find things like this in open world games, even current gen.
So it's agreed crossgen games can look good on both platforms.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
One thing about this conference that MS tries to do is to continue to justify your Gamepass subscription. I certainly think the conference does that. Providing you content for the year and real gamepass release roadmap.

Renozokii

Sony Fanboy made fun of new Cortanas looks when Sony games have some of the ugliest females ever. I thought it was ironic. I'm not hard up like a full grown man who plays cartoons. Quit projecting.
Well let’s be honest, in a debate about which publisher makes the more attractive looking video game character, the loser is both grown men having said debate, and the reality is both those men lost long before that debate started.

laughable to not see the irony of talking down on someone for playing ratchet and clank while white knighting the decaying corpse of halo and how much cuter their waifu ai is than aloy.

Last edited:

Ellery

Voted C.

I think it was simply not enough when you realistically factor in that Xbox just bought Bethesda who could run an entire E3 show on their own for the last couple of years (not counting 2020 due to Corona).
Then the final game was just a gigantic disappointment and looks like another generic multiplayer game that is hoping to bring in the big bucks and following modern (post Fortnite era) gaming formulas.
The best game at the show was STALKER2 probably followed by Atomic Heart ? Are those even Xbox games? Not sure.

Other than that it felt like half the show was either "Console launch exclusive" at the start of a trailer or "Coming to Gamepass Day One" at the end of a trailer.

I am not 100% sure if I get this right, but for me it didn't feel like the gaming future I should be excited about and nothing of value was added that I didn't already know about or except before. Starfield was a given even before Xbox bought it. Same for Stalker 2 and Atomic Heart.

(Don't get me wrong. I am extremely critical on all of them and I rarely ever think a show is a 10/10. Sadly I just thought there would be more, because Xbox was buying a lot of studios and could peak at this show given that all of the attention is on them. I am looking forward to 12 Minutes, Halo Infinite, Starfield, Atomic Heart, Stalker 2, Horizon 5, Replaced, but I hoped for a show where Phil finally proves that after 7 years of advocating for games that we would actually get a lot of big new surprises that make us drool and not a 90 minute gamepass commercial for games that were already announced).

Saber

Gold Member
I voted C because it felt like yet another bunch of years away games with not even a taste of what some games are about.

Top Bottom