• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade Nintendo E3 Direct

Grade The Nintendo Direct

• A

Votes: 46 13.9%
  • B

Votes: 103 31.2%
  • C

Votes: 106 32.1%
  • D

Votes: 75 22.7%

• Total voters

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
New 2D Metroid.
New Tekken characters in Smash.
New Monster Hunter game.
No Metroid Prime 4
Fatal Frame
BoTW 2 trailer.

Plus a lot of other stuff.

How would you grade this Nintendo Direct?

I liked a few games like Metroid, Warioware and possibly Adavnce Wars....but felt that they didn't show enough original stuff and no Bayonetta 3 yet again.

We knew about BOTW2 and SMT5 coming, which is nice I guess.

Voted B but it was a B-. Nothing bad, but felt they shown too much of stuff we already seen.

Last edited:

Fake

I rank B. Would be A if they showed the Switch PRO, but they show a loads of games.

My only problem was Skyward Sword with that awful low res textures.

Akuji

Metroid looked okay, but not awesome. Probably gonna play it and enjoy it but showing wasnt good. BotW trailer was stupid and i really disliked it. Advanced Wars is the unexpected hitter. Looking forward to it.
SMT, never played one before, this got me kinda interested, lets see.

C, overall really weak for an E3 or any other Major Event showing.

Saber

Gold Member
I would say its nice. Even though it has some titles I have no interest whatsoever, they at least know how to make a presentation. I also like the new Party game. B effort.

Btw, wheres this "sWiTcH pRo" leakers spammed the entire time?

Last edited:
I gave it a C it was decent, i was disappointed in the metriod reveal. I really dislike the over reliance on mario spin off stuff but thats Nintendo. I would have gone D but Botw 2 saved it 7/10

NewYork214

Solid B. SmT and fatal frame look sick. And they got a smile from me with the way they announced Kazuya for smash. Kirby thing was cute lol

Give me my switch pro tho. Gave my bro my switch. On verge of buying him the portable version and taking mine back. But want a 4k version nintendo. Damn it

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Zelda trailer was really short but looked really really good. And I say this as a BOTW hater. This might be the game I wanted to play 4 years ago.

Overall, not a conference for me. Metroid and Zelda were the only highlight. No Mario sequel. Odyssey came out in 2017 so 3.5 years and not even a teaser? No Metroid Prime 4 footage despite announcing the reboot two years ago. No Bayonetta 3 footage.

Where is the switch pro?

Zelda and Metroid showings probably earn it a C but I gave the MS conference a C yesterday and that conference was way better so D for Nintendo this year unfortunately.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I’m not a Nintendo fan but my god this is the only conference that saved E3.

Chukhopops

In terms of new announcements that was awful. But the games already announced look good (SMT V, MH Stories). Kazuya in Smash is disappointing.

So somewhere between C and D.

mortal

Gold Member
B+
Pretty solid show overall.

Wish there was less focus on ports and more on new titles. Already knew just from the length of this direct we weren't getting a Switch Pro unveiling.
Nintendo's showcase was the best of this E3, although the bar was set so fucking low already tbh lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No Monolith, No new IP, no Bayonetta, No Metroid Prime, No surprise announcement like an Eternal Darkness or Pandora’s Tower, no N64 Switch Online and barely showed anything of BOTW2 with a *probably won’t come out next year* disclaimer.

xray49er

Only game I would play is BOTW2 nothing else is for me I am sure my son loved this direct though it was right up his alley

Ma-Yuan

D because it didn't hit my tastes at all. Metroid Dread looked horrible. No Bayonetta, no MP4 and no Xenoblade 😑 BotW2 was a given to appear but I am one of the few people who didn't enjoy Botw much. I thought it was boring as hell so I have no real interest in the second part. No new switch hardware stealth release... God the only game that sparked my interest ist smtv and the release date was already leaked...

Nautilus

Banned
Holy shit, this was the best presentation Nintendo had in years.

Gotta say that 40 minutes is not as long as I though.

The only thing I can say I was dissapointed is that Monolith was nowhere to be seen.

This was easily a 9/10 conference.

Fake

Some people are dissapointed with this Direct, but keep in mind that I saw all other E3/Summer event, so this was kinda OK in comparison with the others people are trying to hype.

NewChoppa

Banned
C. I was kinda underwhelmed, but BOTW2 news and a new Metroid game are pretty cool.

But damn, I’m kinda surprised they’re STILL so quiet about Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3…

ranmafan

For me it was an A. SMTV looked great. Advance wars and fatal frame were nice surprises. I was watching the Japanese stream so I was very happy when I saw super robot wars 30 annouced. And of course the Zelda game & watch and botw footage was nice

Automatic F for no Wind Waker HD.

Smash. Fuck off.
Literally who indies. Fuck off.
Metroid Dread. Cool
SMTV. Cool
Danganronpa. Cool
Fatal Frame. Cool.
No WW/TP. Fuck off
BOTW2. Cool, but that was basically nothing.

SlimySnake

Probably a D

they haven’t shown anything for two years and all we get is a small, unimpressive botw2 trailer ?

what has this company been doing?

What a disaster, it isn’t even coming out until 2022 as well
Yeah, like I said, no Bayonetta 2, No new Mario. No Metroid Prime 4. These are their AAA franchises and have been MIA the entire gen with Mario Odyssey coming out at launch.

Lots of smaller stuff. I will buy Metroid on Day 1, but I had figured that this would be the year Nintendo brings in the big guns. They are in their fifth year already.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Easily the best e3 conference.

Short, but filled with nice titles. BOTW2 was stunning. They actually revived Metroid Dread??? OMG
SMT V looks amazing, so does the new Mario + Rabbids.

Monkey Ball Remaster, Fatal Frame Remaster, Advance Wars Remake.

Also a new Cruis'n?? LMFAO

My only gripe is that a lot was already known (although Metroid was definitely a nice surprise), but generally, there is a lot to look forward to and most of those games are dated for this year.

Shouta

Good showing for them this year. SMTV footage, a new Super Robot Wars (showed on JP Stream) Espagaluda and Mushihime ports, Kazuya in Smash, etc.

SCB3

I rank it B, I liked Xbox's more if I'm honest, some good stuff here

• A new Metroid - Still nothing on Prime really, I expected a bit more, like the 3DS game to be ported and the Prime Trilogy, but I suppose thats an easy release closer to 4
  • Mario Party looked good and fun and really what Super MP should've been
  • WarioWare!
  • Fatal Frame looks interesting to me, not played any of them aside from the one on Wii U I think?
  • SMTV looking cool, I may look into that more as I got into Persona with 4 Golden so never checked out SMT at all really
  • Mario Golf is looking fun
  • Danganrompa is a fantastic collection, I've played them already, but still fantastic for newcomers
  • Kazuya Mishima is a interesting choice, we're finally getting SF x Tekken in a better game!

Zelda not getting a 35th anniversary sucks though, I mean its such an easy sell, still I never played SS so looking forward to that

Last edited:
Giving it a B.

Lots of "smaller" titles like Metroid Dread, Mario Party and Wario Ware. Also I'm stoked about the revival of Advance Wars. Good to see Fatal Frame again as well. Most of these are coming out this year, which is good.

Apart from that it's kinda lacking big releases. I'd personally count SMTV as a big game, but many others probably don't care. Zelda BotW2 is coming next year. No other big titles shown or announced. No Donkey Kong, no Zelda collection. Lacking updates on other major releases like Metroid Prime, Bayonetta. In that sense the Direct was pretty disappointing.

It was better than the rest of E3, but that's a really low bar.

Top Bottom