• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU question for PC gaming, RTX3080 10GB worth it for 650 EUR?

Filben

Sorry if there's a thread for common questions but I couldn't find anything with the search.

I'm grewing more and more unsatisfied with my 2070 Super performance, especially when games won't support DLSS or if I'm using RT. The lack of HDMI 2.1 is probably the most annoying thing when I want to use it on my 4k 120Hz TV with HDR.

I found an RTX 3080 in my town on ebay for 650EUR, according to the owner only used on weekends for sim racing since February, no crypto mining, card was bought as new. It's the 10GB variant, sadly.

I told myself I wouldn't want anything below 12GB of I'm about to buy a new card. But 12GB variants are still well above 800-900 EUR

Would you guys reckon this is a good deal or fair at deal?

EDIT: System is hooked to a 16:9 1440p monitor and 4k TV, the monitor soon to be replaced with a 3440x1440p monitor. CPU is a Ryzen 3600.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Yeah it's a good deal IMO but I wouldn't expect drastically better performance than 2070S minus the HDMI 2.1 thing. But if you also get a decent price for that 2070S, then it might a deal worth the hassle.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wouldn’t. If it was under $500 maybe. I have a 3080 10gb and the performance is nice but I feel they will get much cheaper when the 4080s start rolling out.

Also that sounds like a used car salesman telling you an old couple owned this car and only drove it to church on sundays and they’re all highway miles.

Last edited:

Filben

Also that sounds like a used car salesman telling you an old couple owned this car and only drove it to church on sundays and they’re all highway miles.
To be fair, I specifically asked for the mileage and if it was used for crypto mining; the guy didn't say it in the description trying to sell it more effectively (as in "NEVER USED, NEVER OCed!!!"). Don't know if that makes a difference, but when buying used items there's always the thing with believing the seller or not.

Mint prices, though, are still too high for me. 600 EUR was usually the limit I'm willing to pay for that specific PC hardware.

Ellery

It is an extremely good GPU, but it won't be the future proof 4K 120hz RTX card.

So right now you have the RTX 4090 at the very very top end and a gigantic gap between the 4090 and the second closest Nvidia card the RTX 3090 Ti. The difference between the 3090 Ti and the 3080 is not that big besides the VRAM.

But you won't find much better performance for 650€ than an RTX 3080 10gb. Maybe an AMD 6900 XT 16gb in terms of traditional rasterization performance.

Other options are not really available at the moment since they come out next month and they will probably be expensive and even worse in europe since the MSRP prices are based on US Dollar conversion and any 800-900$ card will be 1100€ in Europe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To be fair, I specifically asked for the mileage and if it was used for crypto mining; the guy didn't say it in the description trying to sell it more effectively (as in "NEVER USED, NEVER OCed!!!"). Don't know if that makes a difference, but when buying used items there's always the thing with believing the seller or not.

Mint prices, though, are still too high for me. 600 EUR was usually the limit I'm willing to pay for that specific PC hardware.
Wait, thats too much. you should be able to get a new one for that much. just shop around or wait another month. Do NOT buy any of these cards on ebay because manufacturers only RMA for a year or two if you have the original retail receipt.

3080 is a good upgrade over a 2070. you should double your performance. its worth 650, but only if its new. just buy it new from somewhere when it drops in price.

Filben

It is an extremely good GPU, but it won't be the future proof 4K 120hz RTX card.
I have to say that I'm not in for 120Hz gaming. I usually raise graphics settings so it runs 60fps before going for +60fps.
The reason is a bit more specific: I need a 120Hz container so LFC can kick in once fps drop out of VRR range and to have a little headroom when games run sightly above 60fps. With HDMI 2.0 can only choose 4k120Hz without HDR, or 4k60Hz with HDR, or 1440p120Hz with HDR. The latter means an upscaled image in games but all the other features, the 4k60Hz options offers HDR but robs me of LFC, the 4k120Hz option of HDR. So basically I want the 120Hz for a bit of headroom and LFC, not to play at or even closely to 120Hz (except when I want to in less demanding situations).

Last edited:

Ellery

I have to say that I'm not in for 120Hz gaming. I usually raise graphics settings so it runs 60fps before going for +60fps.
The reason is a bit more specific: I need a 120Hz container so LFC can kick in once fps drop out of VRR range and to have a little headroom when games run sightly above 60fps. With HDMI 2.0 can only choose 4k120Hz without HDR, or 4k60Hz with HDR, or 1440p120Hz with HDR. The latter means an upscaled image in games but all the other features, the 4k60Hz options offers HDR but robs me of LFC, the 4k120Hz option of HDR. So basically I want the 120Hz for a bit of headroom and LFC, not to play at or even closely to 120Hz (except when I want to in less demanding situations).

Honestly sounds like the RTX 4090 would be the perfect card for you (if rest of the system allows it), but the current prices in Europe are just maximum pain. I am recommending 6900 XT and 3090 (Ti) 24GB to my friends atm depending on how much they want Nvidia for the brand or RTX/DLSS features compared to FSR.

The market is weird. Brand new RTX 30 series card have similar prices. You can basically get a 3080 Ti, 3090 and 3090 Ti all around 1100-1200€ and the AMD 6900 XT is 780€.

I do have a 3080 10gb in my system, but I am playing on 1440p on my PC and don't have the 4K TV connected so I can't really give first hand experience in that regard, but I think that currently the 3080 10gb would work very well still for 4K, but for how long is impossible to say and depends on the games that are releasing.

Filben

Honestly sounds like the RTX 4090 would be the perfect card for you
Performance-wise it's probably the best card for everyone. Price is totally out of question, though. Unfortunately AMD is also out of question due to more and more games relying on DLSS to even have acceptable performance (almost making it mandatory, especially with RT enabled) to run properly to begin with, and FSR is often lacking. Support is gonna increasing for sure, but will most probably still be behind DLSS in any case. Not a Nvidia fan by all means (in fact my antipathy is growing with every generation now) but very pragmatic in that regard. Non-DLSS performance is almost irrelevant to me when most AAA I'm playing offer that feature but FSR2 implementation relies on a dev's dice throw...

Anyways, I don't want to start a discussion on that specific matter, but I thank you all so far participating here and giving their opinions. You guys are great!

Catphish

I have that card, and it runs pretty much everything at max settings, 4k/60, with FS 2020 and Cyberpunk (except with DLSS at max performance) being the only outliers so far.

I also have a 2070S, but that's in a rig with a 1080 display, so I don't really know how it compares to the 3080 at 4k.

But from what I've seen in the benchmarks at the site below, you can expect anywhere from a 25-75% boost in fps at 4k, depending on the title.

Filben

But from what I've seen in the benchmarks at the site below, you can expect anywhere from a 25-75% boost in fps at 4k, depending on the title.
Yes, I've seen that! and was kind of surprised how that card performs in +1080p resolutions! Since my monitor runs at 1440p, my TV at 4k and my monitor is soon to be replaced with a 3440x1440 monitor this seemed like a good deal to me, especially when I get rid of my 2070 Super for an acceptable price.

But since I've almost skipped this generation and with the up and downs of GPU prices I'm kinda out of touch with prices and what's commonly considered a good deal.

Last edited:

mili2110

wait for RTX 40X0 and RX 7000 Series. When These are out you will get a used 3080 12gb for 550-650€ (Only if AMD delivers on Performance AND pricing)

Last edited:

Filben

No, that is the price a 3090 Ti should fetch used. I wouldn't pay more than 500 for it. The launch price of the 3080 was 700 EUR. Two years ago..
I see. That's unfortunately the lowest price, by far, I've seen here in Germany. Many want well above 700 EUR for a used 3080, a new one for 900 EUR and more.

I think waiting on the new 4070 might be a good idea as the 3080 become cheaper then (hopefully).

Top Bottom