• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPD finally announces prices for their Windows Handheld, "GPD Win 4", configurations. Starting at $799. 4G module $100.

Ozriel

M$FT
Starting at 2x steam decks!

I know they have to turn a profit and cant leverage a huge store like Valve can but there's really not much of a market if they can't compete with the deck price wise.

Why do they need to compete with the price of the entry level Deck that’s the least popular with buyers?

It’s around $150 more costly than the 512gb Steam deck, but makes up for it with more powerful SoC and some better specs like dual USB-C and eGPU support

Whitecrow

Banned
Why the f are some of you complaining about the size? Gameboy, psp, vita and 3ds gave us amazing times. If games are good and the screen doesnt suck, the smaller and portabler, the better.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why the f are some of you complaining about the size? Gameboy, psp, vita and 3ds gave us amazing times. If games are good and the screen doesnt suck, the smaller and portabler, the better.

I guess it’s because PC games were primarily designed for screen 14 inch and above. We’ve actually seen complaints about some PC games with small fonts on Steamdeck.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This is the all-new GPD Win 4 AMD Ryzen 7 6800U powered handheld gaming console and in this video we test out Steam Deck OS, "Steam OS 3: and yeah the Win4 runs Linux games like a PRO! It’s like the Steam Deck and The PS Vita had a powerful little baby! We test Out Cyberpunk 2077, Spiderman Miles, Project Cars 2, Left 4 dead, Doom Eternal and more on the GPD Win 4 using Linux

00:00 Introduction
00:19 GPD WIn 4 Steamos Steam Deck OSOverview
02:27 GPD WIn 4 Specs
04:59 Linux Gaming On The GPD WIn 4
08:14 Final Thoughts

ksdixon

C73A8La.png

Jesus the Deck looks to be even bigger than I thought, by comparison to this.

I fail to see the market for this thing, especially in this economy. I think it will be DOA. Cool design though, looks like a Sony phone/PSP combo.

ksdixon

I fail to see the market for this thing, especially in this economy. I think it will be DOA. Cool design though, looks like a Sony phone/PSP combo.

- Portable access to "real" games without needing a pad and a phone attachment or laptop.
- touchscreen mobile gaming via bluestacks/MS Phone Link app still an option.
- built-in pressable-keys keyboard, and mouse trackpad
- Size - it's pocketable. no backpack or carrying case needed. smaller than some others.
- Comfy Vita form factor, but improved (L2, R2, LS, RS). this is BIG for me! a deciding factor against other handheld pc's.
- Can run pc, ps, xb/gp games. Probably pc ports available for older games on steam/gog that are not on console BC services, and of course, the emulation option.
- Can still remote play ps5 or xbsx on Windows Remote Play apps, I don't believe a Vita can remote play a PS5, for example.
- better specs than steam deck, iirc. can run steam deck os if you want to.

- the price(s) are tough to swallow, depending on the specs you want. could save some money. And.... it's not like Sony are making a PSP 4 / Vita 2, or a Portable PS4. This thing will be worth the money, at least I hope so cause all my gaming hopes are pinned on the little bastard's back to cover Sony's shortfall and create my own PSP companion device.

Comandr

I really want to pull the trigger on this thing. I love almost everything about it; particularly the inclusion of forward thinking features like a built in keyboard, mouse nub, native landscape display and 40hz refresh rate. The components NVME and battery are also surprisingly user replaceable. Some of the easiest access I've seen in one of these 6800U handhelds.

The only thing that would make it absolutely perfect for me is if the screen was 7", the face buttons were slightly bigger, and the sticks a little taller. And four back buttons please. Having four vs two is useful AF. Coming from a steam deck, the controls feel really good on it because they're full size. I think the GPD Win could easily accommodate larger interface options. Another part of me wants to believe that a Zen4 based unit would blow the tits off of this thing.

Handhelds have largely been in their infancy, but I think with Valve entering the market, it's put a lot of companies on watch. GPD, AyaNeo, and AYN all have great products. I think that instead of reinventing the wheel every generation (as most clearly seen in GPD's case), moving forward they could simply refine and develop a great product.

So yeah my dream device is a slightly larger GPD Win 4 with a next generation chip. Sadly it looks like GPD is more or less on a 2 year cycle. So it'll be 2025 before that dream is anywhere close to true.

ksdixon

I'm at the stage of money being the only barrier, so I'm exploring which version I would want, trying to shave off a couple of £100.

I could go with 512gb hdd space, juggling game installs on there isn't too bad assuming I also throw media on that bitch. but then I worry about the "only" 16gb of memory in that version and running some PC games (RE Remake's, WWE2K, TLOU PC ports) assuming I don't almost always remote play those games from PS itself.

Anyone going for a lower specced version themselves?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The handheld gaming revolution has arrived for PC gamers, and there are more options than ever to choose from to get your gaming fix on the go. The GPD Win 4 makes for an especially interesting choice, with its PS Vita-like design and hidden slide-out keyboard. It feels more like a true pocket PC than any handheld we’ve tested so far, and is on the more affordable side at $799.

Top Bottom