• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTYpicks Blog 2019 Disscussion

Handel

This year looks to be up there with 2012 as one of the most spread out years in recorded GOTY history. 2012 had four games above/near 50 or more votes(Dishonored had 49). It had nine games in total with 20+ votes.

Hope Disco especially can cross the twenty mark.

ethomaz

Banned
Last addition...

Stuff Gadget Awards (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Unboxholics Readers' Choice (GR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

KeenGamer Readers' Choice (CZ) : Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

BILD Readers' Choice (DE) : Days Gone

iDNES.cz - BonusWeb Readers' Choice (CZ) : Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC

Новое Время (UA) : Resident Evil 2

Канобу Readers' Choice (RU) : Death Stranding

Nöjesguiden Magazine (SE) : Control

GameWorld Readers' Choice (GR) : Death Stranding

Canaltech (BR) : Death Stranding

GamerFocus Readers' Choice (CO) : Resident Evil 2

ethomaz

Banned
SmashPad (US) : Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Pixel Vault (NL) : Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

IGN India Readers' Choice (IN) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Game*Spark Readers' Choice (JP) :
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Kotaku Australia Readers' Choice (AU) : Resident Evil 2

VGChartz (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Multiplayer.it (IT) : Disco Elysium

Multiplayer.it Readers' Choice (IT) : Death Stranding

Gamers.at (AT) : Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

HCL Gaming Portal (HR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

HCL Gaming Portal Readers' Choice (HR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Want Readers' Choice (NL) : Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Heavy.com (US) : The Outer Worlds

ethomaz

Banned
REmake 2 trying to put a fight with Death Stranding.

TechRaptor (US) : Devil May Cry 5

TechRaptor Readers' Choice (US) : The Outer Worlds

Game Informer Readers' Choice (US) : Resident Evil 2

AusGamers (AU) : Control

Gameswelt Readers' Choice (DE) : FIFA 20

Eurogamer.pt (PT) : Resident Evil 2

StopGame (RU) : Resident Evil 2

StopGame Readers' Choice (RU) : Death Stranding

Ticinonline (CH) : Resident Evil 2

Nördliv (SE) : Control

PPE.pl Readers' Choice (PL) : Death Stranding

SaudiGamer (SA) : Devil May Cry 5

GameFAQs (US) : Resident Evil 2

Shazoo Readers' Choice (RU) : Resident Evil 2

Handel

RE2R has now surpassed DS in number of critic GOTYs, and is only 8 behind in total. Very close match there, Sekiro's almost definitely out of the running though for overall at least, might win critic GOTY though.

ethomaz

Banned
GameMAG Readers' Choice (RU) : Resident Evil 2

Spieletipps (DE) : Resident Evil 2

Radio Canada International (CA) : Untitled Goose Game

El Heraldo (CO) : Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Expansión Magazine (MX) : Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

PC Guru Magazine Readers' Choice (HU) : Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Cheddar (US) : The Outer Worlds

CHIP (DE) : Control

New Game Network (CA) : Metro Exodus

NAT-Games (DE) : Resident Evil 2

GamAlive (FR) : Metro Exodus and The Outer Worlds

GamAlive Readers' Choice (FR) : A Plague Tale: Innocence

AnaitGames Readers' Choice (ES) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Games.cz (CZ) : Death Stranding

Handel

Down to a gap of 7. GAF and REE might actually be deciding factors. I think the love/hate for DS makes it considerably less likely to top fan sites with very varied tastes...GAF is a bit more Sony centric so my prediction is DS or Sekiro for GAF GOTY, RE2R or Sekiro for REE.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
When a person declares a game “Game of the Generation”, and was only in chapter 3 of the game, his/her opinion is suspect and there’s a clearly an agenda.
I'm at Chapter 8.

And yes it is my game of the generation.
You should play it... it is very very addictive and mechanically impressive.
IMO it is the very best game Kojima ever created.

What that has to do with the blog btw?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I did play it. And nothing.
Sadly but it is fine.
It is not a game to everybody.

To be fair I played REmake 2 and while I found it a great game.... I found it a bad remake because it lacks too much things that made the original that great (enemies, plot, campaign, bosses, mechanics, etc).... it is basically a half done remake.
But I see others gamers saying it is amazing.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Sadly but it is fine.
It is not a game to everybody.

To be fair I played REmake 2 and while I found it a great game.... I found it a bad remake because it lacks too much things that made the original that great (enemies, plot, campaign, bosses, mechanics, etc).... it is basically a half done remake.
But I see others gamers saying it is amazing.
I didn’t say anything about Death Stranding. You didn’t ask me what I thought. I’m just telling you, calling a game GOTG when you were only 1/4 in is pretty outrageous.

ethomaz

Banned
I didn’t say anything about Death Stranding. You didn’t ask me what I thought. I’m just telling you, calling a game GOTG when you were only 1/4 in is pretty outrageous.
Well but it is my GOTG.
My previous GOTG was Destiny... I put over 1500 hours in Destiny... I'm already over 150 hours in Death Stranding.
I did not call any game GOTG... just these that I really feel is the best game I played this generation.

It can play another game that I will feel better in the coming years? Yes, like happened with Destiny but for this generation I believe there is few games to release.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Well but it is my GOTG.
My previous GOTG was Destiny... I put over 1500 hours in Destiny... I'm already over 150 hours in Death Stranding.
I did not call any game GOTG... just these that I really feel is the best game I played this generation.

It can play another game that I will feel better in the coming years? Yes, like happened with Destiny but for this generation I believe there is few games to release.
And how is that different from people that played as much as you, didn’t like it, and then have their opinions described as trollish?

ethomaz

Banned
And how is that different from people that played as much as you, didn’t like it, and then have their opinions described as trollish?
What are you talking about? lol
I have no issue with people that played the game not liking it.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
What are you talking about? lol
I have no issue with people that played the game not liking it.
You didn’t call a guy unprofessional for not liking the game and passing on reviewing it? Or applauding that the “troll” reviews were removed by metacritic?

ethomaz

Banned
You didn’t call a guy unprofessional for not liking the game and passing on reviewing it? Or applauding that the “troll” reviews were removed by metacritic?
The guy is unprofessional because it didn't reviewer a game he is paid to review.
There is nothing to do with he liking or not Death Stranding... or even Death Stranding at all.
He can hate it but it should be professional to play the game and made the review... it is his job to do that.

Trolls reviews are all the time removed from Metacritic since PS3.
I pointed to people in the thread that all the games no matter which brand receive the same treatment.
And 0 review score should be remove imo.

0 is basically a broke game that you can't even pass the title screen... it is unplayable.
For more you hate a game it will never be a 0.
Now if you love a game it could be a 10.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
The guy is unprofessional because it didn't reviewer a game he is paid to review.
There is nothing to do with he liking or not Death Stranding... or even Death Stranding at all.
He can hate it but it should be professional to play the game and made the review... it is his job to do that.

Trolls reviews are all the time removed from Metacritic since PS3.
I pointed to people in the thread that all the games no matter which brand receive the same treatment.
And 0 review score should be remove imo.

0 is basically a broke game that you can't even pass the title screen... it is unplayable.
For more you hate a game it will never be a 0.
Now if you love a game it could be a 10.
A food critic that takes 2 bites from a meal and thinks it’s gross doesn’t need to finish the meal. But you gave the game an 11, right? At what point? Was it before chapter 3 or at chapter 3? Cause obviously you were telling the world that it’s GOTG at some point in Ch. 3.

ethomaz

Banned
A food critic that takes 2 bites from a meal and thinks it’s gross doesn’t need to finish the meal. But you gave the game an 11, right? At what point? Was it before chapter 3 or at chapter 3? Cause obviously you were telling the world that it’s GOTG at some point in Ch. 3.
I never give any game a 11... there is no suck scale in game review.
If I had to score it I should give a 9.9 or 9.8 that is better than any other game I played this gen.

Death Stranding is my GOTG.
The first hours of the game was already better than everything I played this gen... it took me over 50 hours in Chapter 3 because I love the gameplay mechanics and at that point nothing could surpass it and break that experience... and of course the game got better after Chapter 3.

No matter if it hurts your feeling that can't be changed.

BTW about the food critics... you can get the taste of the food with one bit... you don't need more because that is the taste of that food... now games are not like that you progress (food not) and you end have different experiences thought the game... so you can hate the begining and love the ending or vice versa... and that affects your review or score.

For example the Edge dude could end hating more Death Stranding if he finished it... so write about that and give a fair score based in what he played... stop being unprofessional.
There is no problem in give a low score to a game if you complete played it and are cohesive with what you wrote about it.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
If you had finished the game, there would be some validity to your claims. You didn’t say “so far my GOTG”. You were championing this game from the start. You even assumed I had not played the game and while praising its mechanics. You were only in chapter 3, and you made ridiculous claims. You don’t hurt my feelings my loving a game, but you poison the well I drink from with your bias opinion.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Really weak year IMO. I don't think I could finish most the of the game I started. I think the only one I completed and liked was Day Gone, was that 2018?

ethomaz

Banned
If you had finished the game, there would be some validity to your claims. You didn’t say “so far my GOTG”. You were championing this game from the start. You even assumed I had not played the game and while praising its mechanics. You were only in chapter 3, and you made ridiculous claims. You don’t hurt my feelings my loving a game, but you poison the well I drink from with your bias opinion.
Death Stranding is really my GOTG.

Everybody is biased, myself included and that didn't change Death Stranding is not only my GOTG but one of the best gaming experiences I had in my life.

Masterpiece.

BTW I never said anything about the game before play it... you can look at the review thread that I did not claim anything until play over 20 hours of it.
You just remembered me I need to play more... can't wait to go home.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Death Stranding is really my GOTG.

Everybody is biased, myself included and that didn't change Death Stranding is not only my GOTG but one of the best gaming experiences I had in my life.

Masterpiece.

BTW I never said anything about the game before play it... you can look at the review thread that I did not claim anything until play over 20 hours of it.
No, no that’s good. I know not listen to your opinion again. Thank you. 😌

ethomaz

Banned
Really weak year IMO. I don't think I could finish most the of the game I started. I think the only one I completed and liked was Day Gone, was that 2018?
No. It is 2019.

Received week reviews... I can's say it is that bad but it is not outstanding.
It is average for me... an 8.

ethomaz

Banned
No, no that’s good. I know not listen to your opinion again. Thank you. 😌
loss.jpg

:messenger_fistbump:

ethomaz

Banned
Added.

Hooked Readers' Choice (DE) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Games.cz Readers' Choice (CZ) : Death Stranding

Stuff Gadget Awards (IN) : Resident Evil 2

Merlin'in Kazanı Readers' Choice (TR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

The battle between Death Stranding and Resident Evil 2 is really interesting... any game can ending being the overall GOTY but the fact it is that close already made it one of the years more balanced (where there isn't a clear winner with way more votes than others)... the others candidates at this points will have to be happy with 3rd place and below.... in any case only Sekiro received enough votes while the surprise goes to Disco with will probably end near 20 GOTY awards.

Last edited:
Siekiro is being robbed. it's easily the game of the decade. combat is excellent, characters and story are great, exploration and world are great, multiple interesting endings. It's as close a game can get to perfection. I guess people prefer easy games with out challenge.

Resident evil 2 was good but nothing special. game had little to no challenge, bosses sucked, zombies were bullet sponges. as long as you knew the basics for survival horror games you were always safe. evil within was the much better horror game for me. Gonna pick evil within 2 next. death stranding just doesn't look interesting to me, ill probably pick it up for 10$ in the future.

ethomaz

Banned
Siekiro is being robbed. it's easily the game of the decade. combat is excellent, characters and story are great, exploration and world are great, multiple interesting endings. It's as close a game can get to perfection. I guess people prefer easy games with out challenge.

Resident evil 2 was good but nothing special. game had little to no challenge, bosses sucked, zombies were bullet sponges. as long as you knew the basics for survival horror games you were always safe. evil within was the much better horror game for me. Gonna pick evil within 2 next. death stranding just doesn't look interesting to me, ill probably pick it up for 10$ in the future.
I will wait your LTTP for Death Strading.
I think we will have a lot good threads praising it Late this year.

I will wait your LTTP for Death Strading.
I think we will have a lot good threads praising it Late this year.

I don't know. Game looks really stupid to me. I heard the combat sucks, and the game isn't challenging. Is the world interesting to explore like Red dead 2?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know. Game looks really stupid to me. I heard the combat sucks, and the game isn't challenging. Is the world interesting to explore like Red dead 2?
I can’t really help because I did loved it... there are way less combat than MGS for example but it is really good (the combat at gameplay is similar to MGS).

I’m too biased to tell you anything more... I think you need to try it.

Tou won’t find anything like it... gameplay is complex and exciting at the same time... most of your time will be playing it because the cutscenes are really few and take time to happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom