• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTYpicks Blog 2019 Disscussion

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping that when it's all said and done that REmake2 ends up being the overall game of the year winner because while it's not my game of the year (Days Gone baby!!!), it's simply the best game in that top four list of games. REmake2 not only set the bar for all future remakes of games in general, Capcom took a PS One classic and surpassed it in every aspect. Capcom also setup the perfect template for themselves in regards to future RE titles. Fuck first person bullshit. Third person REmake2 shows everyone how it should be done. Simply, REmake2 is an excellent game and the best RE title in the franchise as well as my personal best surpassing the original RE 2.

ethomaz

Banned
Hoping that when it's all said and done that REmake2 ends up being the overall game of the year winner because while it's not my game of the year (Days Gone baby!!!), it's simply the best game in that top four list of games. REmake2 not only set the bar for all future remakes of games in general, Capcom took a PS One classic and surpassed it in every aspect. Capcom also setup the perfect template for themselves in regards to future RE titles. Fuck first person bullshit. Third person REmake2 shows everyone how it should be done. Simply, REmake2 is an excellent game and the best RE title in the franchise as well as my personal best surpassing the original RE 2.
I believe they did a better job with REmake original than REmake 2... in fact they did a lot of things wrong in REmake 2 compared with the RE2.

That is exactly why I’m not excited with REmake 3... they lose the track of what a Remake should be.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If Death Stranding walks away with the most it would mean Sony had the biggest winner 3 out of the past 4 years. It would 5 in the past 11. No one else comes close to that. No to mention the other years where they usually had a runner up like in 2017 or had 1 or more games winning GOTY awards. Pretty incredible.

Sony has been dominant for me over the last 12 years as they've given me my game of the year 50% of that time. Insane.
2007 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
2009 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2013 - The Last of Us
2017 - Horizon Zero Dawn
2018 - God of War
2019 - Days Gone

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I believe they did a better job with REmake original than REmake 2... in fact they did a lot of things wrong in REmake 2 compared with the RE2.

That is exactly why I’m not excited with REmake 3... they lose the track of what a Remake should be.

While I loved REmake on Gamecube, I wasn't a fan of the fixed camera angles and while burning zombies was great, the knife to the head kills took some of the tension and fear out of dying because that would bail you out every time. Still, a great remake. I do prefer RE 2 over the original RE or REmake. The scenarios back then in 1998 was freaking awesome and very well executed. Granted, it doesn't make the same impact as it did back in 1998 because we know it already but it's still great and REmake2 itself is just on a higher level to me.

What do you believe they did wrong in REmake2 compared to the original RE 2?

As for REmake3, it's day one for me but im nowhere as hyped for it as I was a year ago at this time for REmake2 simply because I was never a fan of RE3: Nemesis and quit it after an hour or so back then. But with the new RE engine and loving REmake2, im in day one for REmake3 because Capcom has earned back my confidence in them over the last three years so until they screw up again, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I would have preferred a remake of Code Veronica instead of REmake3 because I see that as the true sequel to RE2. Hopefully, that one is up next. lol.

Handel

Or maybe they do top quality titles...
So do many companies. There's a clear bias towards certain kinds of games for GOTY, so there is no point in overvaluing GOTY awards in this regard. Games like Divinity : Original Sin 2 never get a fair shake, as do almost any PC exclusive games. Fighters, racers, strategy, lots of genres where their top quality doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Having spent some time with Jedi: Fallen Order, it really is a fantastic Star Wars game. I'm playing it on Story mode to blaze through it as fast as possible because I have too many games to get through (Sekiro, Luigi 3, Death Stranding, DQ Builders 2, Days Gone), I would say the game definitely deserves a nomination for GotY, may not be the winner but it should be recognized as one of the better titles of 2019.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Updates.

National Post - Post Arcade (CA) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Ars Technica (US) : Control

RTL 5minutes (LU) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

CNews (FR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Vandal (ES) : Death Stranding

unocero (MX) : Resident Evil 2

The Games Machine (IT) : Control

Lega Nerd (IT) : Control

Areajugones (ES) : Death Stranding

mxdwn (US) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Muropaketti (FI) : Death Stranding

Digitally Downloaded (AU) : Spirit Hunter: NG

TechRadar (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Gameswelt (DE) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

The Enemy (BR) : Devil May Cry 5

Gamer.nl (NL) : Outer Wilds

Канобу (RU) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

ethomaz

Banned
What do you believe they did wrong in REmake2 compared to the original RE 2?
These are the things that I found inferior the original:

• Bullet sponges enemies
  • Lack of enemy diversity
  • Removed bosses fights
  • Unbelievable inferior Croc fight
  • Where is G Mutant boss?
  • Dialogue are inferior and not fun like original
  • Soundtrack
  • Story changes that makes no sense
  • Mr X in scenario 1? Mr X was create to make the B campaign different but now scenario 1 and 2 are basically the same.
  • There is no difference between the Clarie and Leon scenario? WTF? Instead of 4 different campaign you have only 2.
There are more things that bothered me... I just don't thing it was a good remake like the original REmake... it feels inferior and incomplete.

Another one for Death Stranding

EDIT: Another for Death Stranding and RE2

Last edited:

mejin

Blog added more:

God is a Geek (UK) : A Plague Tale: Innocence

The Telegraph (UK) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Mandatory (US) : Judgment

Polityka Magazine (PL) : Death Stranding

Game Informer (US) : Control

I don't even know what Judgment is lol two awards already.

giphy.gif

Aion002

Blog added more:

God is a Geek (UK) : A Plague Tale: Innocence

The Telegraph (UK) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Mandatory (US) : Judgment

Polityka Magazine (PL) : Death Stranding

Game Informer (US) : Control

I don't even know what Judgment is lol two awards already.

Judgement is an Yakuza spin off.

Now on topic... Before last sunday I would say that Sekiro is the goty.

But after buying and being unable to stop playing and thinking about Death Stranding... Well... This list is freaking right! DS and Sekiro are indeed the best games of this year.

RE2R on second place for sure, amazing game also.

ethomaz

Banned
Judgement is an Yakuza spin off.

Now on topic... Before last sunday I would say that Sekiro is the goty.

But after buying and being unable to stop playing and thinking about Death Stranding... Well... This list is freaking right! DS and Sekiro are indeed the best games of this year.

RE2R on second place for sure, amazing game also.

Ohhhhhh I have no ideia :D
An Yakuza spin-off without Yakuza name.

ethomaz

Banned
Today update.

Giant Bomb (US) : Outer Wilds

Twinfinite Readers' Choice (US) : Death Stranding

The Daily Camera (US) : Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Malditos Nerds (AR) : Disco Elysium

Destructoid (US) : The Outer Worlds

Unboxholics (GR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

IGN Japan Readers' Choice (JP) : Death Stranding

3DJuegos (ES) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

3DJuegos Readers' Choice (ES) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

VideoGamer Italia (IT) : Death Stranding

VideoGamer Italia Readers' Choice (IT) : Death Stranding

24.hu (HU) : Death Stranding

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
These are the things that I found inferior the original:

• Bullet sponges enemies
  • Lack of enemy diversity
  • Removed bosses fights
  • Unbelievable inferior Croc fight
  • Where is G Mutant boss?
  • Dialogue are inferior and not fun like original
  • Soundtrack
  • Story changes that makes no sense
  • Mr X in scenario 1? Mr X was create to make the B campaign different but now scenario 1 and 2 are basically the same.
  • There is no difference between the Clarie and Leon scenario? WTF? Instead of 4 different campaign you have only 2.
There are more things that bothered me... I just don't thing it was a good remake like the original REmake... it feels inferior and incomplete.

I agree on most of these points, but I'd just strip it down to saying that the game is thin on content and severely lacking in replayability.

Its a quality, but short-lived experience. Which is especially galling as for many years RE2 was far and away the longest and most content-rich title in the RE series.

ethomaz

Banned
I agree on most of these points, but I'd just strip it down to saying that the game is thin on content and severely lacking in replayability.

Its a quality, but short-lived experience. Which is especially galling as for many years RE2 was far and away the longest and most content-rich title in the RE series.
Yeap I think you are right... seems like they gone cheap because I was surprise how much content they left out.

Terenty

Alfa Beta Juega (ES) : Resident Evil 2

Gamesource (IT) : Death Stranding

GamerGen (FR) : Death Stranding

EDGE Magazine (UK) : Outer Wilds

New York Daily News (US) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Geeky (AR) : Death Stranding

Le Soir - Geeko (BE) : Metro Exodus

It will be hard to keep close to Death Stranding.

Kojimas name makes wonders, everybody automatically vote for DS even if its a shit walking simulator. He should make movies.

Did i say everything in the correct order?

Last edited:

Raziel

I don't think this forum is ready for Death Stranding to be the big winner of 2019.

Last edited:
sknr.net GOTY - Borderlands 3

Handel

Or ruled by good games ;)
Nah, there are many amazing games each year. Many games that strive for unique ideas and use the medium to it's fullest to create an engrossing experience. These games don't win overall GOTY, they at most get a small percentage of the vote. Death Stranding getting overall GOTY will prove it's not the art, but the "artist" that matters.

ethomaz

Banned
Nah, there are many amazing games each year. Many games that strive for unique ideas and use the medium to it's fullest to create an engrossing experience. These games don't win overall GOTY, they at most get a small percentage of the vote. Death Stranding getting overall GOTY will prove it's not the art, but the "artist" that matters.
Death Stranding is one of the best games created this decade...
The gameplay is unique and addictive, the story is good, the characters are great, etc.

Death Stranding is what games should be.

You really needs to give it a chance.

Last edited:
Death Stranding is an excellent game. It isn't winning all of these awards just b/c Kojima's name is on it. Heck it's won more GOTY awards now than any other game Kojima has ever made.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Shit year for games. Seen worse, but nothing blew me away this year or was truly special. Last time a year was this dry was definitely 2014 when DA:I took top honors. And we remember how we look back on that game — I remember people at the time singing it’s praises, too. All over the internet.

Something to think about.

Handel

Shit year for games. Seen worse, but nothing blew me away this year or was truly special. Last time a year was this dry was definitely 2014 when DA:I took top honors. And we remember how we look back on that game — I remember people at the time singing it’s praises, too. All over the internet.

Something to think about.
I really like DA:I but would say Bayonetta 2 deserved it that year. Hack and slash games don't win GOTY though.

ethomaz

Banned
Big update.

Stevivor (AU) : Control

The Young Folks (US) : Resident Evil 2

Atomix.vg (MX) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Power Unlimited Magazine (NL) : Death Stranding

3DNews Readers' Choice (RU) : Metro Exodus

FZ Readers' Choice (SE) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Gamer365 Readers' Choice (HU) : Resident Evil 2

Refresher (CZ) : Death Stranding

Eurogamer (UK) : Outer Wilds

JagatPlay (ID) : Disco Elysium

TheSixthAxis (UK) : Death Stranding

Press Start Australia (AU) : Control

Gamereactor España (ES) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

InsideGamer Readers' Choice (NL) : Death Stranding

Gamereactor Portugal (PT) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Gamereactor Danmark (DK) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Gamereactor Italia (IT) : Control

Gamereactor UK (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Gamereactor Norge (NO) : Death Stranding

ethomaz

Banned
Another big update.

BGR (US) : Death Stranding

VentureBeat (US) : Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Shacknews (US) : Super Mario Maker 2

Zonared (ES) : Resident Evil 2

MANIAC.de (DE) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Le Monde (FR) : Baba Is You

Hobby Consolas (ES) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Eurogamer.pt Readers' Choice (PT) : Resident Evil 2

XGN (NL) : Resident Evil 2

Игромания (RU) : Resident Evil 2

PlayGround.ru (RU) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

PlayGround.ru Readers' Choice (RU) : Metro Exodus

Komputer Świat (PL) : Death Stranding

Gazeta Wyborcza (PL) : Resident Evil 2

Varvat (SE) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Eurogamer Readers' Choice (UK) : Resident Evil 2

Root Nation (UA) : Death Stranding

BaziCenter (IR) : Disco Elysium

Eurogamer.de Readers' Choice (DE) : Resident Evil 2

Zona IT (RO) : Death Stranding

GameVicio (BR) : Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

GameVicio Readers' Choice (BR) : Resident Evil 2

GameGrin (UK) : Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Next Gen Base (UK) : Death Stranding

The Blade (US) : Resident Evil 2

EGM (US) : Control

Zero Punctuation (US) : Disco Elysium

The Charleston Gazette-Mail (US) : Gears 5

3DNews (RU) : Disco Elysium

Gamereactor Sverige (SE) : Resident Evil 2

Kerrang! Magazine Readers' Choice (UK) : Death Stranding

GameStar Hungary Readers' Choice (HU) : Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

SomHráč.sk (SK) : Resident Evil 2

Teslerum

Genre Awards btw:

Shooter of the Year - Modern Warfare (12 wins)

RPG of the Year - Outer Worlds (16 wins)

Action Adventure of the Year - Sekiro (17 wins)

Sports Game of the Year - Crash Team Racing (7 wins)

Best Graphics - Death Stranding (14 wins)

Best Story - Death Stranding (15 wins)

manfestival

I never understood how this game of the year talk often happens in December instead of January... you know... after the year has ended. Like Inside Gaming couldn't include(arbitrarily might I add) Fallen Order because they stopped collecting votes in SEPTEMBER. Anyways, just a personal gripe.

ethomaz

Banned
I never understood how this game of the year talk often happens in December instead of January... you know... after the year has ended. Like Inside Gaming couldn't include(arbitrarily might I add) Fallen Order because they stopped collecting votes in SEPTEMBER. Anyways, just a personal gripe.
I find that weird and wrong... I believe all games up to Dec 31th should be included.

Handel

Genre Awards btw:

Shooter of the Year - Modern Warfare (12 wins)

RPG of the Year - Outer Worlds (16 wins)

Action Adventure of the Year - Sekiro (17 wins)

Sports Game of the Year - Crash Team Racing (7 wins)

Best Graphics - Death Stranding (14 wins)

Best Story - Death Stranding (15 wins)

It seems like the only ones giving out these awards are pleb sites if they think DS is best story of the year :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Handel

I'm really liking the sci-fi story.
Kojima has interesting concepts narratively, but dialogue especially is a major weak point for him. I liken him to Nomura in this. Kojima and Nomura are great idea guys, but are like Lucas in that they need some people to tell them no and put proper structure to the work.

In a year with Disco Elysium nothing else should be close in the narrative awards, but it was niche enough at release that a lot of places probably haven't played it.

ethomaz

Banned
Kojima has interesting concepts narratively, but dialogue especially is a major weak point for him. I liken him to Nomura in this. Kojima and Nomura are great idea guys, but are like Lucas in that they need some people to tell them no and put proper structure to the work.

In a year with Disco Elysium nothing else should be close in the narrative awards, but it was niche enough at release that a lot of places probably haven't played it.
I think he tries to make every dialogue sentence epic or joke... I like that.
Some didn't like.

Disco is amazing in story telling but I prefer the sci-fi story of Death Stranding.
Best story doesn't mean best narrative after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom