• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Awards Tracker 2020 Disscussion

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
They're clinging hard to that MC user review. It's only one of the few things they have left, even though it was review bombed by people who didn't even play it.
That and "these awards dont matter anymore, who cares about awards now"
Yet people were touting the cd projekt gods for witcher 3, breath of the average, Red shit controls redemption. Funny its always goal post moving

mortal

Gold Member
TLoU2 haters aren't still constantly making threads about this game, and not nearly to the degree that people who love the game do.

It's like people who love the game need constant validation for enjoying it.
They deserve each other really.

I don't even think it's even about the actual merits of the game anymore. It's mostly about metacritic scores, awards, and general controversy surrounding the game.

TLoU2 haters aren't still constantly making threads about this game, and not nearly to the degree that people who love the game do.

The game just set a new record that has been standing for 5 years. That's thread worthy. The haters of course have to come in here with their usual nonsense to try and discredit it. They're the insecure ones. Got nothing to go at the game with other than a Metacritic user score that was bombed that isn't worth more than a pile of shit.

Madflavor

The game just set a new record that has been standing for 5 years. That's thread worthy.

Yeah until the next game breaks it. You realize how much that number is going to inflate over the next 10 years? Forget TLoU2, I was honestly shocked at the sheer number of random people and outlets who have some kind of authorization to make the claim "GoTY". Look at movies. There's only Best Picture, and one organization who can grant that title. But video games? Video Game trying to give out awards like they do with Film, feels like the kid brother trying to imitate the older cooler brother, but due to being young, not as educated, and inexperienced, just comes off lame and cringeworthy.

"But video games are art and should be taken seriously too!" How can people think that, especially with how the gaming community handles TLoU2? You got one side acting like smug cunts every time the game wins an award, and you got the other side sperging out and crying "SJWs!". And there's everyone else in the middle who sees the truth of it all. That it's just a video game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

They're still making threads but not nearly as much as before because they're running out of ammo.

This place was heavily negative towards for the first few months of the games release and now people are posting positive news.

Yeah until the next game breaks it. You realize how much that number is going to inflate over the next 10 years? Forget TLoU2, I was honestly shocked at the sheer number of random people and outlets who have some kind of authorization to make the claim "GoTY". Look at movies. There's only Best Picture, and one organization who can grant that title. But video games? Video Game trying to give out awards like they do with Film, feels like the kid brother trying to imitate the older cooler brother, but due to being young, not as educated, and inexperienced, just comes off lame and cringeworthy.

"But video games are art and should be taken seriously too!" How can people think that, especially with how the gaming community handles TLoU2? You got one side acting like smug cunts every time the game wins an award, and you got the other side sperging out and crying "SJWs!". And there's everyone else in the middle who sees the truth of it all. That it's just a video game.
I really doubt it will be broken anytime soon. Games like God of War and Breath of the Wild didn't break Witcher 3's record. Whatever TLOU2 ends up at will take a long time to beat.

They're still making threads but not nearly as much as before because they're running out of ammo.

This place was heavily negative towards for the first few months of the games release and now people are posting positive news.
Exactly. This place gets so butthurt whenver positive news is posted about TLOU2. It's because the regular haters just want to spread their false narratives about it.

ethomaz

Banned
UPDATED!

Madflavor

Well as is usually the case, people who dislike something are the first to move on. But then you've got the ones who can't get over it who are still shrieking about how it doesn't deserve this or that.

Madflavor

I really doubt it will be broken anytime soon. Games like God of War and Breath of the Wild didn't break Witcher 3's record. Whatever TLOU2 ends up at will take a long time to beat.

Give it time. As the amount of people and outlets who can give that award continue to inflate, all you really need is one very good game to come out one year, with not a lot of competition. I'm sure TLoU2 will likely hold on to that "record" for awhile, but it's almost a mathematically certainty it'll get broken.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Enough with the infantile insults. Converse like an adult, or don't converse at all. "Attack the argument, not the poster."
Amazing feat, especially for an exclusive. Must be hard to cope for TLOU2 haters.

What does "for an exclusive" supposed to mean ? Is that supposed to mean that it was more difficult to get awards ? PS4 sold like 115 million consoles. A lot of the gaming press are young kids with a fetish for sony. The fact that its a sony exclusive means extra bonus points just for that. Being a sony exclusive helped the game, it doesnt mean it had it tougher

Woggleman

That TLoU2 haters aren't still constantly (keyword: constantly) making threads about this game, and not nearly to the degree that people who love the game do.

You know, what I said before...

Also does mommy and daddy know you're using harsh language on the internet?
There are youtubers who still make at least one video a week complaining about this game so yes they are obsessed. Also while I am not defending either one isn't it a little healthier to be overzealous about something that you love than be obsessed about something you hate? Just move on and play something else.

Madflavor

There are youtubers who still make at least one video a week complaining about this game so yes they are obsessed. Also while I am not defending either one isn't it a little healthier to be overzealous about something that you love than be obsessed about something you hate? Just move on and play something else.

I'm sure many of those YouTubers are the same people who wouldn't stop whining about The Last Jedi. I mean I'm aware that there's idiots on both sides.

Anyway my actual issue is with how GoTY is awarded. I mean 261 GotY awards is ridiculous, and it's only gonna get higher as the years go by. If you look at the Top 10 most awarded games list, almost all of them are from the last generation.

I don't know what the answer is, but the more random people and outlets can award the title Game of the Year, the less meaningful it feels. At least to me.

ethomaz

Banned
TLOU2 getting an award is like your mom saying how handsome you are.

This is the industry auto-fellating itself. It literally means nothing when half the fans don't like it.
Actually it only become the most awarded due the fans public votes awards.
The opposite of what you say.

I mean it won 92 public award votes.
That is a feat impossible with half of the fans hating it.

Last edited:

This is the industry auto-fellating itself. It literally means nothing when half the fans don't like it.
People like you have zero proof that half the fans hated it so stop with that bullshit. The fact that TLOU2 has dominated player voted awards is proof enough that most people liked it.

I'm sure many of those YouTubers are the same people who wouldn't stop whining about The Last Jedi. I mean I'm aware that there's idiots on both sides.

Anyway my actual issue is with how GoTY is awarded. I mean 261 GotY awards is ridiculous, and it's only gonna get higher as the years go by. If you look at the Top 10 most awarded games list, almost all of them are from the last generation.

I don't know what the answer is, but the more random people and outlets can award the title Game of the Year, the less meaningful it feels. At least to me.
That isn't true at all. People could've said that back in 2015 but after that year the award totals went down quite a bit.

Kadayi

Banned
All I want to know is which of GAF TLOU2 faithful dedicated an hour every day apparently to lamentably try and spam vote it to victory in the GAF GOTY. I mean was it just one of you or even worst was it a collective? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Eternal21

Go look up number of readers' choice awards it got. Right after that look up TLOU2 completion rate. Then come back and do some mental gymnastics trying to explain to us how 'half the fans don't like it'.

Mozzarella

Okay so i went to this website and checked some of the pages, i came across a Youtube video, Instagram page and some random articles from unknown websites. How is this equal in value to GOTY awards being given by prestigious outlets that are known from the 1990's to hand over game awards? How? i just dont get it.
Seems to me this tracker is inflated, half of those outlets dont need to be there imo.

Literally go to gameawards.net. Search for Pizza Fria and it will take you to instragam page.

How is this a legit GOTY award? its an instagram page with less than 1k followers... Come on... this is hilarious, i cant take this tracker seriously. Some of the awards also take me to a timestamp in a Youtube video.

Last edited:

Madflavor

How is this a legit GOTY award? its an instagram page with less than 1k followers... Come on... this is hilarious, i cant take this tracker seriously. Some of the awards also take me to a timestamp in a Youtube video.

That's ridiculous.

Gun to my head, even though I didn't like the game's story at all, I could see why many feel it deserves GoTY, because it really excelled I'm other departments such as visuals, voice acting, gameplay and accessibility. But this achievement of having the most GoTY awards is meaningless when any retard can give out that title and be counted. I suppose winning at the VGAs is the closest gaming equivalent to Best Picture at the Oscars, so people hoping for this game to win awards should have just been happy with that.

But oh my god! 261 GoTY awards! Most of which are from nobodies and people you've never heard of. What an achievement!

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Aint gonna change that 5.7 user score
Is the user score meant to be some defining measurable?

Objective sense tells you it should not be given a second thought for reasons that surely don’t need to be explained any more.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

That TLoU2 haters aren't still constantly (keyword: constantly) making threads about this game, and not nearly to the degree that people who love the game do.

You know, what I said before...

Also does mommy and daddy know you're using harsh language on the internet?
Im currently busy with your mom, dont knock

also while my hands are free so to speak not only have people made threads to try to equate that tloup2 is not successful they are going to the point of pointing out the last thing they have left which is a low metacritic user rating when we all know the game was review bombed because most people have daddy issues. Also anytime a game comes out they remarkably try to justify that its better than tloup2 much like how tloup2 won a shit ton of awards oh but those dont count because ghost of tsushima won the fan fav award so apparently that gets washed out.

also them passing the witcher 3 in awards is a huge accolade in itself, so yes why not make a thread and praise the game for doing what others cant, win.

odd_hatch

People like you have zero proof that half the fans hated it so stop with that bullshit. The fact that TLOU2 has dominated player voted awards is proof enough that most people liked it.
Zero proof? Just google TLOU2 ratings right now. "58% liked this game"

Yeah sure, it's not exactly HALF, but there's backlash.

Problem is people assume the hate comes from anti-LGBTQ people while completely ignoring the fact they killed off the main character, the one they care about.

And then they used a new character that nobody cared about to kill him off. So of course they are going to find whatever thing about that new character and make fun of it to death.

odd_hatch

Go look up number of readers' choice awards it got. Right after that look up TLOU2 completion rate. Then come back and do some mental gymnastics trying to explain to us how 'half the fans don't like it'.
I had to look up what "readers' choice awards" even means because I care so little about the opinion of websites and/or magazines or any other official group that can be influenced.

And before you think I'm streching I decided to waste a few seconds of my life and see the comment sections of those websites and over 50% disagree saying Doom Eternal or Ghost of Tsushima were better, or better yet "not enough good games came out to even judge" which would be my take as well.

Lol, easy when your best adversary is an indie game. (apart from Alyx, which no one played, sadly)

Look which games The Witcher 3 competed with:
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
Super Mario Maker
Lol the competition was weak for witcher 3 like are you serious?

"game has more gamers awards from gamers so that matters"
"it has a bad score on metacritic so MC is worthless".

And let's just say, okay game got review bombed because it was a highly anticipated ps4 game. Then explain this
toyVl40.jpg
YG7eSeu.jpg

Anyone who loves the last of us 2 has an Era account. Either that, or they have confused Gaf for being Era.

That's just as an extreme statement as yours.

But you do you. Open a bottle of champagne with Druckmann and be happy for his game awards.
What point were you trying to make because tlou part 2 was review bombed one minute past midnight the night of launch by thousands and that’s reality lol.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What point were you trying to make because tlou part 2 was review bombed one minute past midnight the night of launch by thousands and that’s reality lol.
And these reviews got removed. They even disabled making negative reviews on the game for quite a while. Yet its there, sitting on 5.7

Review bombers aint waiting weeks to review bomb the game again, they already moved on to the next they review bomb. Otherwise the score would be even worse than it is now.

Top Bottom