• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Awards Tracker 2020 Disscussion

They definitely did stealth better. For one because stealth is like it should be -> challenging.
Also because those games are completely build around using stealth to progress, meaning they use a complex system with a lot of thought put into it. LOU' stealth is very tame and easy by comparison. 90% of the time the more viable option is just to shoot everything. It's as much a stealth game as Crysis is.
Have fun trying to shoot everything in TLOU2 on higher difficulties. If you think the game doesn't require stealth you're wrong.

bxrz

The only people who care about that 5.7 user score are the haters who try to use it like it means something b/c they have nothing else to go on.
Its a polarizing game and that scores proves it. If it was universally loved (1st game) like all these awards say it, it would be in the 9.0s instead of the 5.0s

Its a polarizing game and that scores proves it. If it was universally loved (1st game) like all these awards say it, it would be in the 9.0s instead of the 5.0s
No that score really doesn't. That score was driven down by people with agendas that never even played it. It was hit by tens of thousands of 0/10s less than an hour after the game released. If the game was polarizing then it would have bad scores everywhere but funny enough it's only Metacritic where it has that score. Every place that verifies that you own the game it has a really good score. Funny how that works.

Polarizing games also aren't picked as the GOTY by gamers worldwide pretty much unanimously but TLOU2 has been.

bxrz

No that score really doesn't. That score was driven down by people with agendas that never even played it. It was hit by tens of thousands of 0/10s less than an hour after the game released. If the game was polarizing then it would have bad scores everywhere but funny enough it's only Metacritic where it has that score. Every place that verifies that you own the game it has a really good score. Funny how that works.

Polarizing games also aren't picked as the GOTY by gamers worldwide pretty much unanimously but TLOU2 has been.
Score was driven down cause a lot of people didn’t like the story, making it polarizing. And theres good reason to not like the story

Death Stranding is a polarizing game and on that site it won more awards than RE2 and Sekiro. I think Death Stranding is a legit 5/10 game

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
giphy.gif

Underrated gem The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt developed by the small-time indie video game developer CD Project Red has been overtaken by a video game that everyone apparently hates.

You absolutely love to fucking see it!

Score was driven down cause a lot of people didn’t like the story, making it polarizing. And theres good reason to not like the story

Death Stranding is a polarizing game and on that site it won more awards than RE2 and Sekiro. I think Death Stranding is a legit 5/10 game
No one experienced said story less than an hour after it released. It had 20,000+ 0/10s at that time. I'm not going to argue with you about it. People like you who base the quality of a game around a Metacritic user score are as pathetic as they come anyway.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If you think the game doesn't require stealth you're wrong.
You sound like this is the hardest shit in the world. It's not. I played on hard difficulty and it's almost a disgrace to stealth games to call TLOU a stealth game, when it isn't even a requirement and far from the most viable option. It's an action game with stealth being an option. Like Crysis is. I've never heard anyone glamorizing Crysis for its stealth mechanics though, so there is that. Not saying LoU2 is an easy game, I really enjoy the survival aspects and how you need to be careful with your ressources , but a stealth game were the crux of the matter is to be stealthy like Hitman, Thief and Splinter Cell it is certainly not, no matter the difficulty level.

Kadayi

Banned
ITT people who think on rails linear narratives devoid of any player agency are the pinnacle of gaming as a storytelling medium. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
cod warzone has 60m players. Let me not even talk about league or pugb or fortnite, and those are returning players every single month. How many players are playing this game currently right now? yea probably few k's at max.

Nobody plays these games, u could already see that at the most played console games last year that sony released ( i think it was sony ) this game wasn't it. yet its praised to the end of the world but why? the same way how death stranding the most dull game i ever exerienced non pc like game that won it for PC and has like 8k players or something monthly and 30k at launch.

It's fucking laughable how either out of touch these award clowns are, or what kind of agenda they try to push.

I must say duckman is a smart guy tho, he played the US media like a fiddle by just slapping a transgender in there. All the resetera soys went out in full force for it.
Two of those games are free, jesus your stupid. Also your comparing two free to play games compared to a single player story driven game that lacked multiplayer.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Thanks for a well informative post that actually explains your opinion good and I can see what you mean. I still don't agree, but you set the bar high and there's definitely someone here who could learn from you.

But what I meant with virtually spit on him is because he literally does.

You realise that character was modelled after an actual actor and not based on druckman right, Neil states this multiple times.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
"Canibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller" -> Is that correct? If so, LMFAO.
Anyway, before calling people stupid you should at least know the difference between "your" and "you're" or use Grammarly.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

"Canibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller" -> Is that correct? If so, LMFAO.
Anyway, before calling people stupid you should at least know the difference between "your" and "you're" or use Grammarly.
Wow advice on the internet about grammar thank you good sir, my life is now complete because of you. Now do you got something to add to the topic at hand or going to be a bitch?

How is it selling though? Last I saw it sold 4 million then shortly dropped out of most sales charts.
Yet it was still in sales charts over the holidays. Over 7 million people have played it that we know for a fact. It also ended the year as one of the best selling games in the US and on the PlayStation Network in both the US and EU. So yeah it sold really, really good

wipeout364

Just shows how irrelevant awards have become and that is across all media. Everybody is giving awards so the number is becoming meaningless. What was revolutionary about this game or moved the medium forward? Is this comparable to Super Mario 64, Half-life, Modern Warfare, Counter Strike, DOTA, Doom? 5 years from now I doubt anyone will be talking about Last of Us 2.

Bankai

Well deserved, a fantastic experience. Most beautiful animations and best acting I've ever seen in a game.

No matter what you think of the outcome of the story, it truly is an achievement in gaming history IMO ánd .. I still can't believe PS4 is able to run it as well as it does.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, advice on the internet about grammar. Thank you, good sir, my life is now complete because of you. Now, do you got something to add to the topic at hand, or going to be a bitch? Perhaps calling people stupid when I myself don't even know the difference between "your" and "you're" is being repulsive and dare I say, stupid?
FTFY

Kadayi

Banned
Just shows how irrelevant awards have become and that is across all media. Everybody is giving awards so the number is becoming meaningless. What was revolutionary about this game or moved the medium forward? Is this comparable to Super Mario 64, Half-life, Modern Warfare, Counter Strike, DOTA, Doom? 5 years from now I doubt anyone will be talking about Last of Us 2.

It had great production values and anyone who dislikes it is a bigot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desudzer10

Considering consumers/gamers picked it as GOTY from 90+ places, FAR more than any other game last year, I think it's clear what they think.
Reputation versus great games with little name recognition does that. TLOU 1 was one of the best games ever. TLOU2 is decent but because it's the sequel to TLOU and the other games to consider aren't popular names, of course people will vote for it.

mortal

Gold Member
Game awards are really just based on glorified opinions, no different to yours or mine.
Just because a group people decided to form some committee to share their opinions and come to a consensus doesn't make something objectively any better.

Some acknowledgement is nice don't get me wrong, but I really wouldn't invest so much care on whether or not a game is good or bad based on how many awards it did or did not receive tbh.
Also there can be plenty of aspects to admire about a game even if one didn't enjoy the experience as a whole. It doesn't always have to be so black & white.

Last edited:

odd_hatch

The only people who care about that 5.7 user score are the haters who try to use it like it means something b/c they have nothing else to go on.
So half the people not liking it doesn't mean anything, what matters is the other 50% that agree with me. Is that right?

I mean who the hell cares about corporate reviews which we know can be heavily influenced with cash?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Source: https://www.gameawards.net/

• The Last of Us Part II - 261
    • Media Outlets: 169 | Readers' Choice: 92
  • Hades - 53
    • Media Outlets: 50 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 49
    • Media Outlets: 38 | Readers' Choice: 11
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 25
    • Media Outlets: 24 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - 23
    • Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 13
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - 20
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Doom Eternal - 12
    • Media Outlets: 12 | Readers' Choice: 0

Previous holder was The Witcher 3.

Reputation versus great games with little name recognition does that. TLOU 1 was one of the best games ever. TLOU2 is decent but because it's the sequel to TLOU and the other games to consider aren't popular names, of course people will vote for it.
Yeah because Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, and the dozens of other great games last year aren't popular names. The amount of stupid shit I read from TLOU2 haters is just absurd.

Thomish

Still haven't played it. Will we ever see a 60fps and resolution update for the PS5? It's what's holding me back.

Top Bottom