• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY Awards Tracker 2020 Disscussion

Bartski

Gold Member

Top 10 Most Awarded Titles from Readers' Choice:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) - 88
  2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (2016) - 79
  3. God of War (2018) - 75
  4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011) - 64
  5. The Last of Us (2013) - 58
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) - 55
  7. Grand Theft Auto V (2013) - 53
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018) - 40
  9. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009) - 38
  10. Death Stranding (2019) - 34

The Last of Us Part II - 256
    • Media Outlets: 167 | Readers' Choice: 89

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

STARSBarry

Gold Member
That bigot sandwitch line alone won at least 50 awards.

No its quite clearly won it 261 awards by my count due to that line. its funny iv literally stopped watching or voting in awards this year because I realised its entirely pointless and the sort of games I vote for never win anything anyway, so why even bother? Its literally just people patting each other on the back like the Oscars, an event far more for the attendees than the wider audience.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Nice try gaming press, giving away "awards" won't change anything.

h1xoSsT.png
Change what? that a critically acclaimed game that stands heads and shoulders above pretty much everything else was reviewed bombed by a load of people the majority of whom either had an agenda or didn't even play the game. I fail to see how anyone who has played this game start to finish could think anything other than masterpiece or at the very least acknowledge that its a fucking stellar game.. take the politics or genderwhatever the fuck out of it and your still left with a technical & artistic game that's in a league of its own

GymWolf

No its quite clearly won it 261 awards by my count due to that line. its funny iv literally stopped watching or voting in awards this year because I realised its entirely pointless and the sort of games I vote for never win anything anyway, so why even bother? Its literally just people patting each other on the back like the Oscars, an event far more for the attendees than the wider audience.
I don't give a fuck about rewards from videogame journalist et similia, i'm just here for the laughs.

I like tlou2.

royox

Getting spoiled of some bit death midgame made me cancel my preorder and totally forgot it even existed. It's the game still worth it knowing THAT or i just ruined the "I am your father" of the game?

Getting spoiled of some bit death midgame made me cancel my preorder and totally forgot it even existed. It's the game still worth it knowing THAT or i just ruined the "I am your father" of the game?
No that’s like the first part of the game. It’s solid - massive pacing issues imo but apparently people think it’s really great. No one I know was super stoked on it - they got a bit bored - but the gameplay is better than the first honestly. Gets better after the half way mark,

nah says everything about you if you actually think theres something nefarious going on because the press loved a fucking good game
Never said anything nefarious was going on but cute you tried to take my words that way. It's the perfect game for critics to wank themselves off over "games as art." Naughty Dog has never made a true mastepiece and the gameplay in all their games is laughable. They're movies with some button inputs here and there. Stealth and shooting that was done better in the late 90s and melee combat that is laughable. Not even going to touch the so pretentious it makes you want to puke writing. Easy stuff like this sells well and has a wide appeal if it looks shiny enough.

So many games get hit with "it doesn't do anything new really" yet somehow Naughty Dog games always get a pass. Games coverage and the community can never be consistent.

Last edited:
Ah so much salt I love it. Idiots ignoring the fact that players chose TLOU2 as GOTY at a TON of these places.
No salt, just stating my opinion. Nothing is funnier than Naughty Dog's fanclub. Always so angry at any criticism levied against their precious exclusives. 🙃

mxbison

Never said anything nefarious was going on but cute you tried to take my words that way. It's the perfect game for critics to wank themselves off over "games as art." Naughty Dog has never made a true mastepiece and the gameplay in all their games is laughable. They're movies with some button inputs here and there.

Did you actually play it? Say what you want about the story but the combat gameplay was amazing....

If that's generic/average where are the other games that play that way? I'd love to try them :)

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well, it's not really surprising. Game journalists are heavy sjw leftists, and anything that caters to their view is great (for them).

Druckmann can check off two lesbians and a trans off the list to get an Oscar, although it still needs a black main lead these days. Maybe the last of us 3 will change that.

And no, im not bullshitting:

For the 96th Oscars (2024), a film must meet TWO out of FOUR of the following standards to be deemed eligible:

STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES

• Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
• Other underrepresented race or ethnicity

A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).
• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

Druckmann is just catering to the sjw infested game journalism and the Hollywood industry, because everyone can clearly see this man is way more interested in showing a movie where he can label his political agenda, but hopefully gets rejected by Hollywood so he at least can continue to
NDs games instead og the entire Hollywood.

Now that I think about it, it probably doesn't matter where that idiot is, Hollywood is already damaging them selves.
How many awards you need to fix baaaad pacing?
Yes.

Last edited:
Did you actually play it? Say what you want about the story but the combat gameplay was amazing....

If that's generic/average where are the other games that play that way? I'd love to try them :)
Cutscene -> short gameplay -> cutscene? Oh, only about the last few decades of games.

Like the game all you want and if you had fun, that's great. But don't act like this is some revolution in gaming.

DanEON

Lol, easy when your best adversary is an indie game. (apart from Alyx, which no one played, sadly)

Look which games The Witcher 3 competed with:
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid V
Bloodborne
Super Mario Maker

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Recently overtook The Witcher 3 which has 260 GOTYs ( got updated few days ago ) on www.gameawards.net award tracker. Well, congrats Naughty Dog!!

giphy.gif
8FT0nR1.jpg

Ia67CJ8.jpg

4vcc9f.jpg

Theres more threads and awards praising this game than people who actually bought and played the game by now.

Probably the most controversial game released of all times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom