• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta ask what is the point of the ps5 pro or Series Next?

PeteBull

You look at ratchet and clank or the matrix tech demo and see the possibly of the system. Then look at most modern games still gimped by ps4 ties. It's a night and day difference.
We need consoles that run matrix demo at stable 60fps, not dipping to/under 20, for me and many like me, thats reason enough

Belthazar

I can only see them releasing a PS5 Pro or Series X X if they can sell them at a profit on launch, because they saw people buying the Switch OLED in droves and want a piece of that pie. Otherwise there's no need for offering what's a marginally better experience at a loss

soulbait

- 4k with 60fps
- 8k with 30fps (with many other visuals downgraded)
- better ray tracing capability
- more money

Because I want one; the more rumours we hear about a potential PS5 Pro the more likely it is I'll wait until it's official (no smoke without fire). The people who don't can just buy the regular one.

And I recently bought a PC with a 3070 so I don't need a Series X/X.5

Last edited:

CuNi

Because I want one; the more rumours we hear about a potential PS5 Pro the more likely it is I'll wait until it's official (no smoke without fire). The people who don't can just buy the regular one.

And I recently bought a PC with a 3070 so I don't need a Series X/X.5

There were rumors about a PC port of bloodborne for what feels like centuries now. Same with a switch pro and neither have, as of yet, come true, so I wouldn't ever bet buying decisions on rumors.

JackMcGunns

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Did you try The Matrix Unreal Engine 5 demo? The game is running at 1080p native and dips down to like 19fps at times... A refresh console will be able to run the game at the same quality settings, but at a stable 30 or maybe even 60fps. How glorious would that be?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Did you try The Matrix Unreal Engine 5 demo? The game is running at 1080p native and dips down to like 19fps at times... A refresh console will be able to run the game at the same quality settings, but at a stable 30 or maybe even 60fps. How glorious would that be?

UE5 engine optimizations could also get us there. I'm just saying let's allow developers to upgrade engines before we reach verdict on the consoles' peak performance capabilities.

SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage , i know you're not gonna let John do you like that 😅😅😅

Roxkis_ii

It seems like the very reason people on pro consoles are the same reasons those very same people should buy a PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
UE5 engine optimizations could also get us there. I'm just saying let's allow developers to upgrade engines before we reach verdict on the consoles' peak performance capabilities.

SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage , i know you're not gonna let John do you like that 😅😅😅

lol PS4 haha.

He would have an easier time winning the bet if he said it would be possible on a SATA SSD that tops out at 500 MBps. IIRC, DF tested the slowest Gen 4 ssd available at around 1.8 GBps and it ran ratchet without any issues. But I highly doubt PS4 can do it.

I really hope Sony showcases some more games that take advantage of this SSD beyond just loading because two years in, this seems to be a gigantic waste of transistors that wouldve been better spent on a better GPU that could run Matrix at a steady 1440p 30 fps.

brian0057

Banned
Given that almost every Sony and XBOX game is coming to PC, I'd ask what is the point of the base consoles at all.

Last edited:

saintjules

We need consoles that run matrix demo at stable 60fps, not dipping to/under 20, for me and many like me, thats reason enough

While we haven't seen the true power of the current-gen consoles yet, I'd like to see games like the Matrix demo running at high resolution / 60fps comfortably. Plus whatever other bells and whistles that's not showcasing fully on the current Consoles.

I agree :)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Rift apart is not the only truly next gen game. Its has higher geometry but its using a the same engine as Spiderman and it uses a lot of technologies and progressions.
This gen its going to be harder to define what is "next gen". The exclusives we have had so far are like PC versions of last gen games.

Maybe by 2025 we will have some games which use the new caperbilities and features of the PS5/XSERIES ehich are not just brute forcing old game engines and techniques.

I dont think there has been a truly next gen game yet, all the current gen exclusives are using last gen engines, and brute forcing a bit more geometry, higher res + fps and maybe some RT reflections.

I kinda get the feeling somtimes that devs dont want to transition to all new way of doing things and will just keep adding to the last gen stuff.

Luckily theres things like UE5 which is built for current gen. I look forward to when AAA games start coming out for it.

As for mid gen consoles I guess they will offer higher resolutions, better RT, higher settings on other visual aspects and more stable framerates.

I dont think they will be as necessary as the ps4 pro and x1x because this gen started off with more powerful consoles then in 2013 and I dont think the improvement the mid gens offer will be that vast for the majority of people.

Say naughty dog make TLOU3 in 2024 (just an example) they are using there new engine and it impresses with its character rendering, realtime Gi solution and nanite like levels of geometry. This game is using a native 1440p with a temporal injection solution to reach 4k output @ 30fps.

I dont think a PS4 PRO with about 20tflops and say a 4.5ghz cpu would be able to do 60fps on this game at an acceptable pixel quality, so sony would do native 4k with maybe some reconstruction to 8k and maybe added rt reflections.

I dont think people would be to fussed by these kind of improvments. I think 60fps would be a bigger draw, but I dont think that would be feasible for the ps5 pro hardware.

Sosokrates

Take a look at RGT latest video on PS5 Pro... Interesting 👍

Interesting video. I think it really depends on what the caperbilities the new game engines, feature set and current gen systems really are.

Because of diminishing returns more and more hardware power may be required though.

However there is not really a demand for mid gen systems at the moment and because of this and covid, sony and ms are maybe just better off not doing mid gens.

Im pretty against mid gens, i got suckered into the ps4 pro and 1X because my tv broke and getting a 4k tv i felt my experience would be comprised on the base consoles.

The only time where I think new hardware is necessary is when the technical issues effect the enjoyment of the game, last time this happened was towards the end of the 360 gen and far cry 3 was a jaggie stuttering mess.

The focus on better and better visuals just seems like a strategy to get people buying more and more tech, NINTENDO WERE RIGHT!

I would prefer devs focus more npc + enemy realism and world interactivity the progress in this area is not the best.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I would buy a PS5 Pro or Xbox Next if they can deliver PC RT quality graphics on games like Cyberpunk2077, Starfield, etc.

buenoblue

This is how tech works? Incremental increases in power. If it's not for you then don't buy the latest and greatest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As soon as we get true next gen games, these consoles will be needed. I'll be there day one. I think once song and MS start putting the real shit out we will see these current consoles start to buckle.

93xfan

Banned
some people are so dense. Yes, we get the point of them, but in the CONTEXT where they can’t even make enough of the base consoles.

Yes, we know, more power is a great answer otherwise.

Last edited:

mxbison

None. Don't even have well optimized PS5/XSX games yet.

I'm playing Doom Eternal on 1440p ultra + RT at a stable 120fps with a $499 GPU (3070). Don't tell me I need a PS5pro for games to run properly....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting video. I think it really depends on what the caperbilities the new game engines, feature set and current gen systems really are.

Because of diminishing returns more and more hardware power may be required though.

However there is not really a demand for mid gen systems at the moment and because of this and covid, sony and ms are maybe just better off not doing mid gens.

Im pretty against mid gens, i got suckered into the ps4 pro and 1X because my tv broke and getting a 4k tv i felt my experience would be comprised on the base consoles.

The only time where I think new hardware is necessary is when the technical issues effect the enjoyment of the game, last time this happened was towards the end of the 360 gen and far cry 3 was a jaggie stuttering mess.

The focus on better and better visuals just seems like a strategy to get people buying more and more tech, NINTENDO WERE RIGHT!

I would prefer devs focus more npc + enemy realism and world interactivity the progress in this area is not the best.
Agreed… and given that diminishing returns is a real thing (visual fidelity increases requiring larger and larger performance leaps) and technological advancement in semiconductors is slowing down (it takes longer to design and develop advanced silicon manufacturing nodes and chips with them as well as it being more and more expensive), I do not get why people want more frequent HW releases.

It is also R&D money that gets thrown in designing and manufacturing and shipping a mid generation console that will not be the lead development target of anything compared to a new console generation that CAN have exclusive software/gameplay features.

Elios83

Given how current consoles can(not) handle ray tracing and given how in the near future we'll be flooded by UE5 based titles that on current hardware can only run at 30fps with a 4k image reconstructed from a native 1080p-1440p resolution there is clearly a huge point in hardware upgrades.
Of course you have to care about these things otherwise you can comfortably stick with current systems.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

What's "pc rt quality"? That changes every 2 years.
That’s how often I would upgrade if given the chance. It’s either that or mess with PC settings, and my time is more expensive than the price of a console.

Faster performance! And then when those consoles come out, they won't be fast enough, so we'll need even newer ones to keep up with the newest games for faster performance, but then those won't be fast enough for even newer games and you'll need more consoles with even better hardware.

It's a never ending cycle. Devs should only have to worry about developing for PS5, XSX and XSS and that's it (PC can just brute force anything. Just update the hardware in your machine if you want nicer graphics).

Dream-Knife

Banned
Faster performance! And then when those consoles come out, they won't be fast enough, so we'll need even newer ones to keep up with the newest games for faster performance, but then those won't be fast enough for even newer games and you'll need more consoles with even better hardware.

It's a never ending cycle. Devs should only have to worry about developing for PS5, XSX and XSS and that's it (PC can just brute force anything. Just update the hardware in your machine if you want nicer graphics).
Opposite. Made for PC, then figure out what to turn down to work on consoles as presets.

Dream-Knife

Banned
That's not the way it's typically done though. They start on the lowest and design around that. Then they add a few extra settings for PC and boom, you have a PC port.
That's basically the same thing though. Make the games balls out, then turn down or remove stuff for lesser hardware. Not all that different between low, medium, high, epic, etc.

NeonDelta

i wonder if rather than doing a pro version Microsoft will release a Series Z and drop S support for some games, so you either have games that work on S & X or games that work on X & Z, then they release another where you need X as a minimum and so on.

not sure if this is possible with having different CPUs but just a thought.

godhandiscen

Then what you want is a PC.

PC settings are easy, just use a default.
Maybe? My last experience with PC gaming was in 2012 I think. Back then it was still tiresome to deal with issues particularly on newly released titles.

anothertech

4k 60 in triple A games with no compromises

8k textures

Even better loading times

VR indistinguishable from reality (lol)

There will never be 'enough' power

Dream-Knife

Banned
Maybe? My last experience with PC gaming was in 2012 I think. Back then it was still tiresome to deal with issues particularly on newly released titles.
It's come quite a long ways. There's presets now that toggle settings for you. Most games autoconfig optimal settings for your machine when you first launch it.

MikeM

Hard to judge the need for these when no game has yet to properly use the ssd streaming or mesh/primitive shaders.

I’d buy the PS5 Pro if every game coming out would be in the 60-120fps range.

iHaunter

4K/60 + RT in Fidelity Mode. Kinda what I was hoping regular PS5 would be. But given the specs of Next-Gen and only costing $500, it's not surprising.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I think folks are as always asking for a faster horse instead of an automobile. The way things are going, streaming is going to take quite a chunk of the market by the time ps5 pro is available. Tried xcloud, it's very reliable from my experience and maybe the most friendly user experience ever when gaming. No more installs, troubleshooting, freeing up space, meeting specs...

I was playing flight simulator 2020 in 15 seconds.
We are getting very close to that "good enough" experience similar to mp3, Spotify or Netflix.

Maybe for a lot of us,streaming is an after thought but give it a year once next gen big hitters arrive.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I think folks are as always asking for a faster horse instead of an automobile. The way things are going, streaming is going to take quite a chunk of the market by the time ps5 pro is available. Tried xcloud, it's very reliable from my experience and maybe the most friendly user experience ever when gaming. No more installs, troubleshooting, freeing up space, meeting specs...

I was playing flight simulator 2020 in 15 seconds.
We are getting very close to that "good enough" experience similar to mp3, Spotify or Netflix.

Maybe for a lot of us,streaming is an after thought but give it a year once next gen big hitters arrive.
Streaming is for casuals who are less tech savy/more blind from ppl who decided to buy series s this gen, its totally different from bleeding edge enthusiasts who are willing/happy to fork up 600usd if not more for a monster console to get improved gaming experience, no1 will go from ps5/xsx to streaming for downgraded experience- as u saw with stadia/lumia and other other streaming shit, hell even pc oriented service from nvidia barely got any traction durning most crazy crypto boom- nastiest possible gpu prices- nuff said.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Given how current consoles can(not) handle ray tracing and given how in the near future we'll be flooded by UE5 based titles that on current hardware can only run at 30fps with a 4k image reconstructed from a native 1080p-1440p resolution there is clearly a huge point in hardware upgrades.
Of course you have to care about these things otherwise you can comfortably stick with current systems.

UE5 will improve though.

Epic were able to get fortnite from 30fps to 60fps last gen.

Plus various other improvements.

Top Bottom