• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotta admit, the more I see of these game shows in the last couple of years, the less I know who they are aimed at

I agree with you, OP. You'd think that by now these dipshits know who watches their streams - the hardcore audience, which is getting older and older as this industry matures. Young to middle-aged males between 18 and 50. People who like Bloodborne, God of War and The Last of Us. An audience that wants to see gameplay and live demos and enjoys listening to developers talk about game mechanics etc. Who the fun wants to see Riders Republic? Who greenlighted this? I can't even..

Kikorin

If you develop a game targeting hardcore audience, you can just sell a precise amount of copies in a best case scenario. Probably big devs like Ubisoft, EA, etc... are tired to spend millions on games that can be sold to a small fraction of nerds, instead they can try to develop the next successful GAAS using an engine that not push boundaries, but that can works on everything, from smartphones to consoles and pc. Minimum effort, smallest budget and if it works, even for just some "seasons", huge amount of money and then on the next one.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Because there's a very small but VERY vocal and toxic minority on Twitter that literally goes around counting how many men/women and what skin colors your game features and will drag your ass and your entire family's ass through the digital mud to hold that against you.

So you're better off pandering to that vocal minority and in the meantime just praying to god that your actual fans who actually buy and play your games don't get turned off in the process.

But they’re not creating new games to shut that vocal minority up, they’re just altering existing franchises to appease them.

Its both lazy and cowardly.

Same goes for movies and TV shows doing the same thing.

Nickolaidas

If you think about the Rainbow Six trailer ...

The squad had three women and one guy.
The commander was female.
The boss-like alien was female.

I foresee that in the next 3-5 years we will consider ourselves lucky if a game has ONE male character in the cast. At this point the companies are dead set on showing how diverse and brave they are.

But this isn't progressive. This isn't equality. This is basically a reverse-situation. The 'oppressors' becoming the 'oppressed'.

And of course, the SJWs will praise this, the irony completely lost on them.

BabyYoda

Banned
They all fall over themselves to up themselves with the virtue signalling, sad thing is they don't realise how transparent, shallow and antithetical to the causes they claim to support it all is.

In the end these corporations want money. I'm sure sooner than later they will figure out this nonsense makes them less money. Right?!

Maybe I should invent a new crypto currency. The Virtuecoin. I can sell millions of these to twitter people and corporations!
You would think, but its been 6 years now and they still haven't gotten it. Still haven't learned their lesson. No introspection, its all because the marketing departments come from these woke universities and they hire their blue haired friends.

They think they can get more money by targeting women and non gamers, and think women all think like the weirdo feminists and activists on twitter. In the process they don't realize they will loose existing gamers both men and women, and old school people like me who have had enough. I'll live out my days playing switch games, old pc and console games etc.. I won't touch this travesty that is "Social gaming" or microtransactions f2p, mobile inspired bs.

After seeing splinter cell becoming a mtx co-op game with no campaign story, yeah I have no faith in any of them outside Japanese devs and even them are slowly being taken over by greed, they will become just like western devs, they are just slow to reform. Give it 2 years and their upper management will be like "westerners like multiplayer free2play cosmetics and woke ideology in their games. Look at these reviews... and twitch"...

Bottom line you can't grow your fanbase by neglecting the people that made you. The new fans will come and go, old fans are your base and root of existiance. Too many companies are saying fu to us. So no money for them. As much as CDPR had an issue with Cyberpunk, i will still support a developer like that or Tale worlds (mount and blade), Warhorse (kingdom come), From Software, Tecmo Koei, Atlus, and others that don't get as much positive press but still make non micro, single player games, and support their fanbase.

They are still chasing that facebook soccer mom demographic that spend billions on Candy Crush.

There is an industry fantasy that there is this untapped audience who want to play "Hardcore" games, but are scared away by smelly teenage males. But there really isn't. They just don't enjoy the same kinds of games.

They need to embrace the fact that the majority of gamers are, and will always be, smelly teenage males, and just lean into it again, like in the 90's.
Many of those "smelly teenage males" grew up to be 40 year olds with big wallets, why they want to alienate us is beyond me. They will learn the hard way, i hope. I also feel sorry for young kids who grow up today. What heroes in games, shows, movies etc.. do they have to look up to and think wow badass? In the 80s and 90s it was a golden era to be a kid/teenager. I would think the world hated me if i was that age today.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You should of watched the Indie showcase. By far the best show so far, with some inventive and awesome looking games.
Of course there wasnt even a thread about it on here, not enough AAA blockbusters.

The same people who watch movie trailers? Lots of folks are into the whole marketing and hype thing you know. Getting excited for a game that won't come out for years.
Hell I think a lot of gamers spend more time on "gamer culture" than actually PLAYING VIDEOGAMES.
You can see it in the achievement/trophy stats.

kyussman

They are aimed a lot more at people who are willing to hand over more and more money in game for various things....if that's not you then I can understand your point....and I sympathize,it's shitty.

MiguelItUp

I think a lot of us were expecting a hard hitting E3, especially since its previous absence. But, to me, at least this far, it still very much reeks of COVID among other things. At least I want to feel that way.

What I've seen of the indie showcases this year has definitely been more interesting than the AAA related ones thus far. Sure, that's nothing new, I just feel it even more so this year.

It felt like the amount of, "Oh, wow." surprise moments are hardly present as well. Even if they were games I didn't care about, it was cool seeing surprises that I could recognize.

From friends, to comments, to chats, I haven't really seen anyone be super excited about what they've seen so far. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hoping the next few presentations are better but I'm not expecting much.

SJRB

Gold Member
You should of watched the Indie showcase. By far the best show so far, with some inventive and awesome looking games.
Of course there wasnt even a thread about it on here, not enough AAA blockbusters.

Guerilla Collective was easily the best stream of E3 so far. Non-stop videogames, and a lot looked really neat. Sure the interviews were not good and killed the pacing, but the actual games were great.

It's just sad that many "TRIPPLE AAAAAAYYY" publishers/devs have jack shit to show so far. Elden Ring is legit the only awesome AAA-title I've seen over the last days that got me hyped.

If you think about the Rainbow Six trailer ...

The squad had three women and one guy.
The commander was female.
The boss-like alien was female.

I foresee that in the next 3-5 years we will consider ourselves lucky if a game has ONE male character in the cast. At this point the companies are dead set on showing how diverse and brave they are.

But this isn't progressive. This isn't equality. This is basically a reverse-situation. The 'oppressors' becoming the 'oppressed'.

And of course, the SJWs will praise this, the irony completely lost on them.
Have you seen netflix's new Resident evil cast, 1 guy in it Wesker and they race swapped him, the rest women that don't match the characters (unless they are new characters).
Apparently the new He-man reboot has He-man dying after the first episode and Teela with a half-shaved head and guy body take over and the show is now about her.

My point is Its happening with every medium, not just games. Give it time and it will happen to Japanese devs too. Next thing you know Cammy will have no feminine features and will be wearing a burka.

I am glad I pulled out and or miscarriages happened. I wouldn't want to raise a kid in this world now.

It just means I will save money, and buy from the likes of Nintendo, Atlus, namco, tecmo-koei, sqaure, from Software, indies and Eastern Europe and turkish devs (cdprojeckt, warhorse, taleworlds), and maybe some Gearbox or other devs not trying to appease twitter.

You have a link. All i know is salt and sanctuary 2 got announced somewhere on ps4/5. A much deserved sequel. I just hope it comes to switch someday, (or i can get my hands on a damn ps5). It's hard to get excited about games when these companies refuse to take your money for the hardware.

Last edited:
Like most of you here, I've been severely underwhelmed with most, if not all, of the shows recently. I think the lack of true audiences let them just get away with mediocre shit.

The thing is I don't know who they think watch these streams?

It's not the casuals - so lord knows why there are games like Riders Republic etc. being shown?
It's not the pre-commercials before a movie - so why show media/movie/tv plugs?
It is the hardcore/enthusiast - so why show so much cgi bullshit?

All the big titles we actually want updates on we get nothing. They don't even have to show us anything just an update would be nice.
It's for the investors, it's for kids, it's for tweens, it's for those that are between the ages of 13 and 25.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Kids will eat this stuff up. Parents won’t mind their kids playing it because they aren’t shooting each other. Remember when 1080 Snowboarding was a must have game on N64? When Waverace was still popular or Extreme-G? Trials was super popular for a long time, so I’m not surprised. There really hasn’t been an extreme sports game besides GTA Online and people crashing their cars 1,000 feet in the air.

Ubisoft has a weird version of cool, but the same is with Gearbox and Borderlands. The humor and the aesthetics isn’t for me. That’s fine. I have other avenues I enjoy and I’m not exactly hurt by something like a game getting announced. People will enjoy it.

The press shows sorta suck anymore. I kinda don’t like to tune in. I say that and I just bought 3 brand new games that are much more enjoyable, so it’s not a major loss. In fact, the only new announcement that has made me happy was the trailer for Elden Ring. The rest just doesn’t interest me. That’s fine. I will buy what I want to buy and skip the rest. Those other games don’t need my attention. It’s just like watching trailers before you go see a film. 3/4 of them can be boring as hell, but it only takes 1 of them to get you super excited. I’ll still watch press shows because they’re press shows. There’s a history there and I enjoy it. It’s just less appealing. You can get excited by the developer announcing the game on their website or social media.

Last edited:

BigBooper

It feels like society is starting a new grunge era where everyone pretends to be depressed. Change is certain. Just like what you like. The shows are for the kids. The kids just happen to be into shit right now.

Nickolaidas

Apparently the new He-man reboot has He-man dying after the first episode and Teela with a half-shaved head and guy body take over and the show is now about her.
Don't remind me. Expect He-Man to appear in the first and last episode of the series. Apparently She-ra is not enough, now we have to have to replace the toxic man with a stunning and brave woman who looks like a man.

*sigh* At least the 2 first episodes are guaranteed to be amazing.

Also, in the end they'll burst the Power sword in order to distribute the power EQUALLY among ALL Masters.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Like most of you here, I've been severely underwhelmed with most, if not all, of the shows recently. I think the lack of true audiences let them just get away with mediocre shit.

It's not the casuals - so lord knows why there are games like Riders Republic etc. being shown?

All the big titles we actually want updates on we get nothing. They don't even have to show us anything just an update would be nice.
What exactly are the numbers on these views? Likes/dislike ratio?

I think they are just there to generate hype. The target audience is games media YouTube channels, forums etc and then those people/outlets/platforms use these events to bring in more viewers etc.

IGN, Easy Allies, Twitch and YouTube personalities are the main ones who benefit.

"We'll give you a 40 minute stream of gaming content for you to fake react to and you can get a ton of viewers and donations and just be sure to send them our way when the game comes out."

Its all just marketing.

They are always such a dissapointment because hours worth of video game trailers is exhausting and really kind of boring. Not as boring as just seeing a list of upcoming games but definitely not even close to just playing any actual game.

Nintendo shows BOTW2 and "influencers" pretend to go nuts to try and go viral. Then see you in 3 years for the game that will probably be great but won't get the same reactions as the teaser trailer.

Video game marketing is truly bizzare but its also strangely interactive. Imaging going to a cinema and watching 30 to 40 minutes of upcoming teasers, trailers and clips and then all gathering round to debate how good the trailer show was then have years of back and forth with the gaming companies as they dole out little bits of hype until release and then the game is forgotten and the hype train moves on.

The customer is not really the audience. It's the media outlets who will keep the customer simmering with hype to forget the most recent game and move on to the next game and get excited about games coming down the line.

These events are a kind of marketing genius, I think. Just ask gamers if they have a "backlog" to see just how well it's working.

People buying games they won't play for months while also buying even more games AND mentally committing to buy games 2 or 3 years down the line.

All driven by content creators on YouTube etc.

oagboghi2

Don't remind me. Expect He-Man to appear in the first and last episode of the series. Apparently She-ra is not enough, now we have to have to replace the toxic man with a stunning and brave woman who looks like a man.

*sigh* At least the 2 first episodes are guaranteed to be amazing.

Also, in the end they'll burst the Power sword in order to distribute the power EQUALLY among ALL Masters.
Amazing. They released that awesome trailer, turns out it was all a fucking lie.

Top Bottom