• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights revealed by WB

Elcid

Banned
So apparently this is a new universe, that just looks a fuckton like the Arkhamverse. I'd rather it be a new universe personally, but now I'm pissed the best Robin isn't in it, Tim Drake. I'm down for Batgirl though, she looks awesome.

Edit:
Turns out Tim Drake is Robin and NOT Damian!

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Looks like it has shitty GaaS hooks with levels for the sake of levels, numbers popping out of everything, mention of builds, increase of power and stats so there will be trash loot with incremental upgrades that waste your fucking time. Gaming might be fucked if this shit continues.

If you think this isn’t a GaaS you’ll be let down. Do you realize yet the wording and phrases they use to sell a GaaS yet?

Last edited:
Finally watched the whole thing. I'm a bit more optimistic about it honestly.

Hopefully RPG means that there's a lot of interesting upgrades and character progression, and hopefully it means that all the characters actually feel substantially different.

Irobot82

Few notes.
1. Seems kind of like Assassins Creed verision of "RPG" skinned over batman game.
2. It's 2020 and they can animate Batgirls hair? Likes like 20 polygon blocks.
3. Seems a bit more comedic than the Arkham universe. Lame one liners and stuff, is this supposed to exist in the Arkham Universe?

Edit: Why does the Premier Trailer show different outfit for Batgirl than the game? She has no cowl at the beginning then a cowl later on.

Last edited:

Labolas

Cassandra Cain gets no love again. WTF. Would have loved to see her in this costume at least.
59fc0d32a2866e11f2c3f7bb4e257ad9.jpg

Elcid

Banned
Few notes.
1. Seems kind of like Assassins Creed verision of "RPG" skinned over batman game.
2. It's 2020 and they can animate Batgirls hair? Likes like 20 polygon blocks.
3. Seems a bit more comedic than the Arkham universe. Lame one liners and stuff, is this supposed to exist in the Arkham Universe?

Edit: Why does the Premier Trailer show different outfit for Batgirl than the game? She has no cowl at the beginning then a cowl later on.
It does NOT exist in the Arkham verse.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Would laugh my ass off at Batman dlc. Especially wouldn't surprise me because it's WB.

Still the though gets me giddy thinking about the fun co-op that could be had in an open world game like this.

Either way, always love the series and even if it's it's own game continuity as long as some core tenants of what made the series so great I'll be their day 1.

Vaelka

Dat gameplay tho, 5-15 FPS lol.

Batgirl's cape is too long. Need to shorten that quite a bit to highlight the ass-ets since you'll be playing from behind her view most of the time.

Who the hell wants to ever play as the sidekicks like Robin?

No joke, I am sure we're going to see arguments about this.

I am pretty sure her design is just inspired by that teen version of her from the comics you can see it in the colors too and her cape there is short too..
But some people are going to have a meltdown and say that it's '' sexualizing her '' xD.

Last edited:

Megatron

Cassandra Cain gets no love again. WTF. Would have loved to see her in this costume at least.
59fc0d32a2866e11f2c3f7bb4e257ad9.jpg

Honestly, I will be surprised if they don’t add playable characters later. Maybe as dlc. Cassandra Cain, Azrael, the Signal, Spoiler, maybe Huntress, etc

Last edited:

Rikkori

This was simply lame. Like an off-brand division game with none of its good attributes. It looked so lifeless and dull!

Zannegan

Lots of likes on that trailer, but I'm just not seeing it. Nothing of what made the first game great seems to have survived.

Between the awful quips, shoehorned setpieces, and glowy leds stuck to everything, this looks like the Schumacher take on the Arkhamverse.

Geki-D

Banned
Looks like this game is not connected to the arkham games from what wb games pr.

Pretty confusing. I assume what they mean is that it's based in the same universe but its a non-canon spin off so it's not the official next part. It's seemingly based in the continuation of the Arkham universe, it's all the same characters from the Arkham games (all the same versions of each) in the aftermath of the events of Arkham Knight where Batman dies.

I'm guessing this is Resident Evil Gaiden/Metal Gear Raising of the Arkham games.

Shubh_C63

OK they need to show much MUCH more to sell people on the GaaS-Arkham.

I have always been a sucker for Arkham Combat so this is perfect for me but reactions against the trailer are justified.

Shmunter

Looks like it has shitty GaaS hooks with levels for the sake of levels, numbers popping out of everything, mention of builds, increase of power and stats so there will be trash loot with incremental upgrades that waste your fucking time. Gaming might be fucked if this shit continues.

If you think this isn’t a GaaS you’ll be let down. Do you realize yet the wording and phrases they use to sell a GaaS yet?
The scourge of gaming. Sony studios, the last bastion of what I look for in gaming.

Elcid

Banned
I'm actually excited for this one. Court of Owls and Battle for the Cowl are two amazing Batman stories, and it has Jason and Tim? I will likely main Robin/Batgirl. Fuck yes. 2 player co-op is cool too, glad they didn't go 4 player for this. Will not pick up Suicide Squad but this looks like a good pickup, probably not day 1 though.

Nico_D

I agree with many others that level-gating and all that pseudo-rpg shit is a big turn off. Why so many games now try to add content by badly imitating actually good rpgs.

It's Batman! But now with numbers! (And without Batman.)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Few points mirror my own here, feels like I'm back towards the end of the 360 where everything just feels like a reskin of a common game. It didn't look bad but it hasn't really done anything for the wow factor. Even worse when it was PS4/XB1 as well - next gen might have been a pull but it's not even got that.

For those who like the look of it, hope it turns out great!

Kadayi

Banned
They need to definitely lose those dopey assed damage numbers, That shit might pass in an MMO but honestly it's got no place in either a single or co-op based game, and that shit pretty much put me off The Division and games of its ilk. Still, pre-alpha footage (which a lot of the try-hards ITT don't seem to get) so hard to judge beyond that as I dare say a lot will change in terms of look and feel before launch. Need to see more down the line.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Every game could have damage numbers. Makes no difference.

It a co-op beat em up.

Still looks 100x better than that Avengers garbage and it’s half-assed attempt at RPG mechanics and loot.

Characters like Robin and Batgirl really aren't that popular. Looking at some of the responses there are people who have no idea who Batgirl is. Give the general public the choice between playing just as Batman or playing as Robin/Batgirl/Nightwing/etc and 98% of them will choose Batman every time.

I agree with them being less popular, but also, you can't always make medias only about popular characters, otherwise no other character would ever have a chance to become popular or more popular itself
Media is full of characters who became popular after series and such, look at green arrow golden age ( around 2013), guy was incredibly popular thanks to its TV series

Also, many people love Robin and Batgirl, and Nightwing is awesome and full of potential

In my opinions, this game's problems are other things

Every game could have damage numbers. Makes no difference.

It a co-op beat em up.

Still looks 100x better than that Avengers garbage and it’s half-assed attempt at RPG mechanics and loot.

Also, you can always disable them, Origins and Odissey have them and you can turn them off

VertigoOA

Banned
Also, you can always disable them, Origins and Odissey have them and you can turn them off

I feel like people yell Destiny and Gaas without really knowing what they’re looking at or what that means. Street Fighter 2 was Gaas in 1993.

this looks pretty traditional honestly... a 2-player beat em up. The combat looks like a nice evolution of Arkham and built by a team experienced with it. Its not a hodgepodge for 3 different genres like avengers. It overall looks more consistent and not clumsy likeavengers.

Like I love Batman. I hate the super friends justice league shit and even batgirl and robin to a better extent. Solo batman stuff is the very best of it all and the least ridiculous. So I’m just as disappointed as any that we haven’t seen a new single player Batman game as amazing as the Arkham trilogy is.

But for what this is... and how great the art direction is for pretty much everything, especially the environments ...

IT LOOKS GOOD!

Kikorin

As a casual fan of Batman, I played and loved all the Batman games from the "Arkham" series. This one looks not bad (except for the framerate, but I guess they'll optimize it before release date), but not having Batman as main character is a big turn off for me. Anyway if there will be an epic single player campaign like in other games I'll play it, if they'll made all GAAS and multiplayer, nope.

VertigoOA

Banned
I just realized...

I’ve probably played every Batman game that been on consoles since The Animated Series on SNES except the telltale games.

I badly want another standalone single-player Batman but I guess that isn’t happening till after the movie hits.

Arkham games are the best by far.

Top Bottom