• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights Has Problems Beyond 30FPS - DF Tech Review - All Consoles Tested

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Gotham Knights has dominated discussion pre-launch owing to its 30fps cap on consoles - but this is just the start of the game's issues. Oliver Mackenzie assesses the good, the bad and the ugly in this release, stacks it up against Batman Arkham Knight and delivers all the performance and image quality numbers on PS5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

awkward office space GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im usually the first guy to say " graphics are not everything " but this goes beyond just bad graphics, its bad grapphics while having bad performance. Arkham Knight destroys it most of the time.... its just embarrassing really.

Last edited:

Banned
Just a heads up, if someone, from the dev team no less, is telling you that due to Series S game could not run better on XSX/PS5, then don't preorder and expect the worst.

that guy was from Rocksteady, this is a different team...

Last edited:

Fbh

B..but people in the other thread were saying this has nothing to do with the dev, that WB Montreal are great at optimization and it was just that these weak ass console simply couldn't run the most incredible looking next gen open world game of all time that is Gotham Knights

Last edited:

Salz01

Expect a blog post around early November outlining future plans to “fix things and don’t forget inthe FREE co op multiplayer mode” of course. And thanking people for feedback etc etc.

I’m sick of these games releasing in poor states and people thinking it’s ok.

its not ok for fuck sake.
But at the same time, people bitch about games getting delayed, or there are no games being released….

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
that guy was from Rocksteady, this is a different team...
Well alright "if guy from dev team or studio related is telling you..." Anyone from the dev team, holy shit have you woke up in time, when consoles have fix function pipelines or something. It makes zero sense.

And it affect me on personal level, so much misinformation about development, I want people to be informed, especially on forums. And stuff.

Skifi28

In retrospect, not the best hill to die on for the 30 VS 60 console factions or the pc VS console fanboys. Still, one can't deny the entertainment value the game has provided and all without spending a cent.

Kuranghi

Watching it now, its a shame because the fidelity of the environments and sometimes the thug models lying in the environments with the dynamic lights look technically graphically impressive but its very clinical and lifeless, exactly like Arkam Origins was... so I guess its not surprising really.

It has the exact same square buildings/"I can't help but see the underlying greyboxing" bullshit AO had that made it a step down from even City and why Knight is still so impressive to me in 2022. I'm not mentioning Asylum because it didnt have the open city but even that had a better atmosphere and overall visual... goodness. Its hard to explain but when you've played the best examples of things then these b-tier entries in the "Batman" series just pale in comparison even when many of the individual aspects are technically or even artistically impressive in many cases.

I apologise to anyone individual artist who works for WB Montreal reading this, I'm not saying everyones contribution overall is b-tier but the over-arching vision/way the project is managed isn't on the same level as Rocksteady for me and its so disappointing just like Origins was. Although the things mentioned above about Origins buildings wasn't really the worst thing about it, I could've ignored that more if the actual open world was fun to explore and do stuff, but 75% of the side stuff/collectibles were finding those stupid wall safe things and that was so bullshit after the fun I had solving the riddler trophy puzzles in Asylum, City and Knight (I played Origins in 2021, way after Knight).

But at the same time, people bitch about games getting delayed, or there are no games being released….

Good point. However these games cost a lot of money and releasing games in a state of questionable stability doesn’t cut it. It’s up to the people who get paid to make these games to do better isn’t it.

I mean they happily take the plaudits from gamers wont they.

DaGwaphics

The footage from over two years ago blows away the final product, and not just when it comes to graphics.

In the end, I think they just focused too much on a high-res clean image. Don't get me wrong, a lot of competitive shooters go that route like Apex, Overwatch, and Halo, etc. Here I think a grittier look would have benefited the experience even if it was at lower resolution. Turn up the rain and the fog and this world would probably look a lot better, although I still wouldn't like the ultra modern look of the city (one expects Gotham to have a more Gothic look no?).

Possibly when dev started on this they thought that native 4k was going to be an important target for current-gen systems. 🤷‍♂️

Filben

LOL that motocycle scene with the stripe effects on the screen edges trying to tell you you're driving 600km/h while in reality he drives with what seems like 60 instead.

Also, nothing I've seen in the video justifies and mandatory 30fps only mode. I'm sure they could have done with a performance mode, when a game like Forbidden West can even exceeds 60fps on some cases (there were instances where I had 80fps).

I got into an argument with a guy on reddit who was an apol
Im usually the first guy to say " graphics are not everything " but this goes beyond just bad graphics, its bad grapphics while having bad performance. Arkham Knight destroys it most of the time.... its just embarrassing really.

Yep. There's no reason this game shouldn't be running at 60 fps on something like Series S and 120+ fps on PC. It's not like it's calculating a dense open world and a ton of simulation; the open world is less alive than even GTA3...

Top Bottom