• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights Gets Info Update on October 16th

Just got an email from Gotham Communications team. And no, this is NOT NDA or anything.

"Warner Bros. Games and DC Reveal Official Key Art for Gotham Knights; New Content to Debut at DC FanDome on October 16

Warner Bros. Games and DC today revealed the official key art for Gotham Knights, the upcoming open-world, third-person action RPG in development from Warner Bros. Games Montréal. Gotham Knights features the Batman Family as players step into the role of Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin, a new guard of trained DC Super Heroes who must rise up as the protectors of Gotham City in the wake of Batman’s death.

Don’t forget to tune in to DC FanDome, the ultimate global fan experience, on Saturday, October 16 at 10 a.m. PDT for an exclusive look at a new reveal from Gotham Knights.

To download the official Gotham Knights Key Art, visit: https://go.wbgames.com/Gotham-Knights-Key-Art

Introducing an original story set in DC’s Batman Universe, Gotham Knights will offer a dynamic and interactive Gotham City where an exploding criminal element has swept through the streets. Players must solve mysteries that connect the darkest chapters in the city’s history and defeat notorious Super-Villains as this new era of Super Heroes reinvent themselves into their own version of the Dark Knight."

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The art:

QMMledq.jpg

I think Red Hood looks dumb. Should have went with a more minimalist design. Too much going on.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The art:

QMMledq.jpg

I think Red Hood looks dumb. Should have went with a more minimalist design. Too much going on.
For modern DC I can't hate any of the designs really.

My biggest complaint is that they make Red Hood look too much like Deathstroke all the time.

I get there's only so much you can do with the mask, but some subtle changes in design can make a big difference

Kagey K

Banned
Nope this game is going to be fire. People love arkham combat, and every game out there is going service based anyway so you get rid of that mental blockade. With drop in drop out it could be my go to game.
I really hope it's good, I've been getting into DC a lot lately after getting disgruntled with Marvel, and I really do like the characters more.

I want this to be good.

Reactions: TLZ

Valt7786

i'm still hoping batman is alive in this game and turns out to be the main villain that fucks up these little birds real hard.
Of course Batman's alive. Absolutely no way they'd have the balls to actually kill him off. It'll be a massive ruse so he can infiltrate the court of owls, nothing more. He might be a boss fight to "prove his loyalty" or something but that'll be it.

And worst design in that art definitely goes to Robin. That poncho thing is fuck ugly. Though I think they said in the reveal there's different gear/suits to be got so hopefully you can make him look decent AND thank FUCK they didn't ruin Batgirl with that side-shaved shitty haircut.

Last edited:

Larxia

Because of the lack of Batman? That'll probably effect the sales.
You're probably right, it's mostly likely going to affect the sales, but I hate this.
I see so many people being against this game just because it's not about Batman. But the game isn't even called Batman, I don't get it. Why is it not allowed to have a game about other heroes in the same universe? Movies can do it, with tons of movies being about specific different heroes, so why can't we have that for games?

I'm personally super interested in this, actually even more than if it was another Batman Arkham game. I really liked the arkham games, but we already had 4 of them, and when I played Arkham Knight, with all the little episodes focusing on other heroes, I really wanted a game about them too, and this is what this game is going to be, so I'm personally happy with this choice.

If the game will actually be good or not, we'll see, but the idea of a game about the rest of the bat family is great in my opinion.

Last edited:

Duchess

yeeeah there's nothing woke about this at all. It's 4 white people and an actual feminine looking woman.

lol it reminds me of that scene from Major Payne where Major says "General, surely there must be SOMEBODY left who needs some killing" That's how badly he needs for there to be some black people in this game to hate.

I'm out of the loop. When was this announced? Guess Rocksteady was working on another Batman game after all...

Last edited:

bosnianpie

It will probably find a small audience but this game has smelled disappointment ever since the reveal. Once they get burnt by the shitty sales we will once again get good Batman games.

SJRB

Gold Member
The art:

QMMledq.jpg

They all look whack.

Who asked for this? If this was made alongside a Batman game I'd be down for sure, but as a replacement? Fuck off with that.

So I guess Barbara Gordon met Jesus and learned to walk again?

Curious what they'll do with Batman though, considering he is 100% still alive...

Last edited:

Larxia

So I guess Barbara Gordon met Jesus and learned to walk again?

Curious what they'll do with Batman though, considering he is 100% still alive...
I didn't read them but from what I know, in some comics series she only stay paralyzed for about 3 years before getting an experimental surgery allowing her to walk again, so maybe that's that. It's not something new in this game, this has been a thing in the comics for about 10 years.

Dacon

Banned
Strange conclusion to come to from one key art
We also had a gameplay presentation a while back that looked pretty awful too.

I didn't read them but from what I know, in some comics series she only stay paralyzed for about 3 years before getting an experimental surgery allowing her to walk again, so maybe that's that. It's not something new in this game, this has been a thing in the comics for about 10 years.

This is a different continuity from the Arkham games and the comics.

Larxia

This is a different continuity from the Arkham games and the comics.
I don't really understand what this has to do with anything. The person I quoted was confused about Barbara walking again, so I simply explained how it was in the comics, and therefore what could probably explain it in this game too.

Also about it being a different continuity than Arkham... is kind of bullshit. It's just Warner as usual having terrible problems with keeping consistent / stable continuities, they do that in everything. The current DC movies are the worst offenders with that, one movie is canon, another isn't, but wait it kind of is, but not really, and this movie is a soft reboot, it's kind of a sequel but also a reboot, we're just not sure... It goes on and on like this.

Gotham Knights really appear to be a sequel to the Arkham games, it takes place just after the end of Arkham Knight, the reveal trailer for it was basically a direct sequel to the ending of Arkham Knight, so no this isn't some kind of coincidence, it's made to be some kind of sequel, but there will probably be some inconsistencies that they will justify with "it's not connected to Arkham", to have an easy excuse. I hate that Warner always does this, it ruins a lot of thing, but really, it's obvious that this game is, at least, an unofficial sequel to Arkham Knight.

And about the gameplay presentation looking "awful", I just don't get it, it looked really good to me.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Man, GAF is really turning into a "who-can-have-the-shittiest-hot-take" contest isn't it?

Anywho, I was on the fence before but it basically looks like co-op Arkham Knight and I'm alright with that. If they can do the whole live-service/looter thing justice then I'll be a happy chappy.

I can’t wait man, the gameplay of the arkham series is ADDICTING.

both the stealth and combat are incredible, I used to love the challenge modes in arkham city

Dacon

Banned
I don't really understand what this has to do with anything. The person I quoted was confused about Barbara walking again, so I simply explained how it was in the comics, and therefore what could probably explain it in this game too.

You don't see how it has anything to do with a discussion about how Barbara can walk when her last appearance in a WB game had her in a wheelchair?

Really? Lol. The fact that it's a different continuity could just as easily imply that Barb never WAS(but she was tho according to her bio on the website) in a wheelchair in this timeline.

Also about it being a different continuity than Arkham... is kind of bullshit. It's just Warner as usual having terrible problems with keeping consistent / stable continuities, they do that in everything. The current DC movies are the worst offenders with that, one movie is canon, another isn't, but wait it kind of is, but not really, and this movie is a soft reboot, it's kind of a sequel but also a reboot, we're just not sure... It goes on and on like this.

Gotham Knights really appear to be a sequel to the Arkham games, it takes place just after the end of Arkham Knight, the reveal trailer for it was basically a direct sequel to the ending of Arkham Knight, so no this isn't some kind of coincidence, it's made to be some kind of sequel, but there will probably be some inconsistencies that they will justify with "it's not connected to Arkham", to have an easy excuse. I hate that Warner always does this, it ruins a lot of thing, but really, it's obvious that this game is, at least, an unofficial sequel to Arkham Knight.
Regardless, that's the official statement.

Gotham Knights is an original story set in DC’s Batman Universe and not connected to the Arkham series,” WB Montreal told Comic Book hours after the game’s reveal at DC FanDome, which heavily suggested that Gotham Knights would pick up after the death of Bruce Wayne at the end of Arkham Knight. In fact, judging from the trailer, pretty much the only thing separating the Gotham Knights universe and the Batman: Arkham series seems to be the fact that WB Montreal said they’re not connected. The Bruce Wayne of Gotham Knights even died in pretty much the same way as Arkham Bruce: in an explosion.

Which, being confused about Barb being able to walk would make sense when the trailer implies that it is connected to the Arkham series, but has been explicitly stated that it isn't.
And about the gameplay presentation looking "awful", I just don't get it, it looked really good to me.

You don't seem to get a lot. People have different tastes in things.

I can’t wait man, the gameplay of the arkham series is ADDICTING.

both the stealth and combat are incredible, I used to love the challenge modes in arkham city

Unfortunately combat in this game resembles more of your standard beat-em up than the Arkham series.

Combat looks more along the lines of Marvel's Avengers.

Last edited:

Larxia

You don't see how it has anything to do with a discussion about how Barbara can walk when her last appearance in a WB game had her in a wheelchair?

Really? Lol. The fact that it's a different continuity could just as easily imply that Barb never WAS in a wheelchair in this timeline.
What...? What you're saying doesn't make more sense than the previous thing. Yes her last appearance in Arkham was in a wheelchair, but so what? That's actually the point, in the comics she was in a wheelchair before getting a surgery allowing her to walk again. That's because she was in a wheelchair that she got that surgery, that's the point, so her being in a wheelchair in the arkham games really doesn't contradict with her being able to walk here... I don't see what's so hard to understand.

You don't seem to get a lot. People have different tastes in things.
Except you said it was awful, which means actually bad, and not a matter of taste.

Combat looks more along the lines of Marvel's Avengers.
Ah yes, the usual new annoying cliche where every new super heroes game is now compared to Avengers. The same thing was done for Guardians of The Galaxy which really doesn't look like Avengers either, but people can't help saying that everything is going to be Avengers now.

Dacon

Banned
What...? What you're saying doesn't make more sense than the previous thing. Yes her last appearance in Arkham was in a wheelchair, but so what? That's actually the point, in the comics she was in a wheelchair before getting a surgery allowing her to walk again. That's because she was in a wheelchair that she got that surgery, that's the point, so her being in a wheelchair in the arkham games really doesn't contradict with her being able to walk here... I don't see what's so hard to understand.
The last game had her in a wheelchair and literally incapable of moving her legs, here she is not only recovered but physically capable of standing side by side with her peers in combat, something that would be confusing to anyone who followed the last games thinking this is a sequel. Meanwhile the press release says that she's been in rehab for years and recovered already. Same James Gordon apparently being dead.

That makes no goddamn sense in the Arkham timeline. YOU don't understand.

Except you said it was awful, which means actually bad, and not a matter of taste.

Lmfao what? If I or anybody else says this looks awful that is 100 percent an opinion and a matter of taste. What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what an opinion is?

Ah yes, the usual new annoying cliche where every new super heroes game is now compared to Avengers. The same thing was done for Guardians of The Galaxy which really doesn't look like Avengers either, but people can't help saying that everything is going to be Avengers now.

Ah yes, that thing people do where they think something looks similar to something else and they comment on that similarity and people get butthurt about it. My word.

MiguelItUp

I was really hoping we'd see more / better gameplay this time, shame we didn't.

Between this and Suicide Squad, it's like I want to be excited, but until I see something delicious, I don't really feel the need to bite at all. That gameplay they showed last time looked okay, but I was really hoping to see some new stuff. Surprised we didn't honestly.

Maybe at the VGAs?

Top Bottom