• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got the day booked to build my new PC......

I have a full control over my settings and components. It's called a fucking pc and I had ton of them for past 25 years.
I dont want console to be a pc. The box for 400$ is a fantastic performer and the fact it included tech like direct IO not actually done on pc yet is crazy.
Keep on praising that pc life and be blind to it's faults especially with current pricing.
But leave consoles alone.

I am a huge pc fan. I always had pc and I always will probably. Does not make me blind and oblivious everything that's annoying or bad with it. Cmon
I have a pictured chronicle history folder dedicated to history of all my pc builds since I was a kid. I always built my computers myself aside from very first one.

fjeOyII.png

Yet all the time I still see people claiming I don't know shit about pc gaming because I am not sucking it's dick all the time lol
edit: Only people who deeply know pc gaming, know really how much of a hell it can be lol. You know when you know kind of a deal. Ask any IT guy at your work. They will hate "the fucking" pc's but obviously not literally.
That is a good idea, pictures with years. I wish I thought of that.

Fredrik

Congrats OP PC+console is the way to go! And that build will run everything beautifully 👌

I should upgrade eventually as well but my weakest link right now is the screen, still on my 24” ASUS from the birth of gsync era :/

OZ9000

Banned
Happy for you 🥲 OP but I ain’t got time for all that. Plug and play for me. Consoles for life.

Bit of a stealth brag because I'm hyped but also a place I'd like to ask a question for the PC crowd, if that is ok?

I think I have it sussed with my case and cooler but I'm hoping that someone who has used multiple Corsair RGB controllers can chime in.

My case is the new 5000T and the cooler is the H150i ELITE LCD. The case has a commander controller which I will be running three LL120s from the front of the case and an extra rear exhaust LL120 fan I've purchased to add. The cooler has three ML 120s and its own controller with power for the LCD and two USB 2.0 cables and a splitter cable to turn the USB into 1 plug. Looking at my commander for the case it has a single USB in. I guess I will just use the extension to make the two USB headers from the pump into 1 and feed this into the cases controller, then run the main case controller USB 2.0 to my motherboard header and this will work? I think I have it sussed.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anyway, so stoked to get into this but I am seriously getting anxiety over the cable management due to my OCD. It looks crazy in the rear of this case already! :D

Build is as follows:

Case - Corsair 5000T
Intel i9 12900K
Corsair H150i Elite LCD - Roof mounted (Exhaust)
Asus Maximus hero Z690
Corsair Dominator 32GB 5600MHz DDR5 dual channel
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X from my current build
Seagate 1tb Firecuda 530 (System Drive)
WD Black SN850 2TB - (Game drive)
Intel 670P 1tb pci 3.0 (General purpose)
Corsair RM1000X - PRO PSU Cable Kit - Black braided cables.

Need to come up with a name......Maybe "SHADOW".

Wish me luck and please think of me for the first time I press the power button!
How much did that cost you? Very impressive rig.

Hezekiah

Banned
I honestly don't know how anyone who owned a half-decent PC in the last decade can be "impressed" with PS5 loading times. On a basic bitch SSD huge open-world game like Cyberpunk 2077 loads from main menu to gameplay in 6 seconds. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I own two 980 Pros, and my games still don't load as fast as they do on my PS5.

Never mind my build from ten years ago.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
yeah! nice!
This prompts me to show of my setup and hopefully change the track of this topic. I dont want to argue anymore. People get my pc hate too literally just the older I get, the more "ignorance is bliss" attitude feels nice when gaming on a console :p
QeAs2aH.jpg

iospKqO.jpg

rs2Z7Wh.jpg

I have my screenshots set on rotate every 2 minutes!

So clean, love your entire set up! that's gorgeous mate. What a Man corner.

...Now I need to tidy!

Just to add. I just picked up that Lego Bonsai tree for the top of my PC build once its done lol! great minds!

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Fun does not, not equal hell
Next gen was over a year ago when Demons souls loaded in 2 seconds and Astro made me feel a game with my hands. PCs are still catching up. Maybe now that IO is released
Hell is RROD/YLOD and when the PS5 internal SSD die and you can't replace it.
Current gen started with Metro Exodus, Quake RTX, Star Citizen, Marble RTX, FS 2020, Cyberpunk 2077 full RTX that is still only on pc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hell is RROD/YLOD and when the PS5 internal SSD die and you can't replace it.
Current gen started with Metro Exodus, Quake RTX, Star Citizen, Marble RTX, FS 2020, Cyberpunk 2077 full RTX that is still only on pc.
lol. It is cheaper to replace whole console than almost any part in a pc.
I never had rrod myself.
Why would ps5 ssd die? you can add other ssd. If memory on your gpu dies, you also need to replace the gpu.

Now the games:
Metro Exodus - Love that game. I finish it every year. Even replayed latest rtx edition this year. You know the game is also on consoles? Even now the ray tracing version?
Quake RTX - not sure if you mean path traced or nvidia version. Yeah, I played it on my 2070 years ago. Just a fun gimmick proof of concept.
Marble rtx - Barely runs. Not even complied demo available
FS 2020 - yay google maps with clouds(I know, hyperbole). You know it's also on xbox ?
Cyberpunk - WHAT A MARVEL. I did finsihed it on 3080 on release week. Crashes and about 40fps. Such a next gen. Good game and a graphical showcase but now the consoles version are nice too.
Star Citizen ? cmon

You have no point to make. Why is it worse when console breaks compared to pc breaking?
You know I can make unlimited coutner argument listing games that consoles had or still have as exclusives that pc don't? Are we warring pc vs consoles now? why

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Nah a 1080ti from 5 years ago and an AMD 3600 cpu are better than the trash that Sony sells you as next gen. Plus these parts have already paid themselves many times over with mining.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I never had rrod myself.
Why would ps5 ssd die? you can add other ssd. If memory on your gpu dies, you also need to replace the gpu.

Now the games:
Metro Exodus - Love that game. I finish it every year. Even replayed latest rtx edition this year. You know the game is also on consoles? Even now the ray tracing version?
Quake RTX - not sure if you mean path traced or nvidia version. Yeah, I played it on my 2070 years ago. Just a fun gimmick proof of concept.
Marble rtx - Barely runs. Not even complied demo available
FS 2020 - yay google maps with clouds. You know it's also on xbox ?
Cyberpunk - WHAT A MARVEL. I did finsihed it on 3080 on release week. Crashes and about 40fps. Such a next gen. Good game and a graphical showcase but now the consoles version are nice too.
Star Citizen ? cmon

You have no point to make. Why is it worse when console breaks compared to pc breaking?
You can't replace any part of the console (only external SSD).
You never had RROD so it doesn't exist. Got it.
SSDs die. Soldered SSD on the motherboard on PS5 can't be replaced. If memory on my VGA dies, my VGA will be replaced, not the entire machine.
Some of those games are NOW on consoles. Which part of this games STARTING the "gen" you didn't understand? And cyberpunk has only RT shadows on consoles. Maybe PS5 Pro or PS6 can keep up with the pc version with the other RT effects.

Because i can replace myself the broken part and not need to beg for the manufacturer replace my entire machine.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nah a 1080ti from 5 years ago and an AMD 3600 cpu are better than the trash that Sony sells you as next gen. Plus these parts have already paid themselves many times over with mining.
Not on RT performance.
can we please not turn this into PC vs console. they are all awesome.
Cool, but some of the same usual suspects love to shit on pc with dirty peasant lvl arguments...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

You can't replace any part of the console (only external SSD).
You never had RROD so it doesn't exist. Got it.
SSDs die. Soldered SSD on the motherboard on PS5 can't be replaced. If memory on my VGA dies, my VGA will be replaced, not the entire machine.
Some of those games are NOW on consoles. Which part of this games STARTING the "gen" you didn't understand? And cyberpunk has only RT shadows on consoles. Maybe PS5 Pro or PS6 can keep up with the pc version with the other RT effects.

Because i can replace myself the broken part and not need to beg for the manufacturer replace my entire machine.
What are you people even talking about ?
1080ti = 2080 = ps5... so is that bad? isit a bad deal in 400 usd console that will do more with 2080 power than 2080 itself ever could ?!
rodrigolfp rodrigolfp So ?! You can replace and fix almost anything if you really want. Ever watching tronicfix?
If you would be fair, you would realize that your vga is more expensive than any of these consoles if it dies. And the pure fact that you can replace any SEPARATE component inside a pc, does not make it any bit more repairable than a console. The components themselves are just as repirable as consoles and the pc as a whole is assembly of parts.
Your "next gen started with x" agment is terrible. how is metro next gen in 2019 ? The game has terrible everything aside from some models and lighting (still, I love this jank game). Nothing about it felt really next gen.
I was more astonished by astro playroom than I was by metro to be honest.

You are a console hater and do not think reasonably. just fuck off already and dont ruin the conversation. nobody cares about your master race superiority complex

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard I can't stop them. They are attacking
Typography Idiots GIF by juliechicago

Bryank75 Bryank75 HELP

Last edited:

Midn1ght

I am a huge pc fan. I always had pc and I always will probably. Does not make me blind and oblivious everything that's annoying or bad with it. Cmon

Yet all the time I still see people claiming I don't know shit about pc gaming because I am not sucking it's dick all the time lol
edit: Only people who deeply know pc gaming, know really how much of a hell it can be lol. You know when you know kind of a deal. Ask any IT guy at your work. They will hate "the fucking" pc's but obviously not literally.

Calling out PC chills for their bullshit and having honest discussions about pros and cons of the platform is great.
Doing so by actively taking your daily shit on every PC thread without reason will just alienate people and lead to zero constructive discussions.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Calling out PC chills for their bullshit and having honest discussions about pros and cons of the platform is great.
Doing so by actively taking your daily shit on every PC thread without reason will just alienate people and lead to zero constructive discussions.
I might be a bit too bitter sometimes, true. I had it enough with pc sometimes but I am not objective.
I didn't plan on doing so in this thread. my "welcome to hell" comment was meant to be sarcastic joke....

JackSparr0w

Banned
What are you people even talking about ?
1080ti = 2080 = ps5... so is that bad? isit a bad deal in 400 usd console that will do more with 2080 power than 2080 itself ever could ?!

Bryank75 Bryank75 HELP
You paid 400 usd for the console while most PC gamers have actually made money while enjoying superior hardware all along. Astro playroom what are you 11? Try some proper PC VR Sims if you want to be amazed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You paid 400 usd for the console while most PC gamers have actually made money while enjoying superior hardware all along. Astro playroom what are you 11? Try some proper PC VR Sims if you want to be amazed.
what ? Spending 3k usd on pc is making more money? Am I suppose to mine?
Yes. Astro is that impressive. What is so impressive about which pc sims exactly? None of them are on astro or demons souls "technical next gen" level.
Buddy got whole dd2 setup on same lg c1 oled (and reverb g2) like me... and tbh, these games are jank as hell. are overcomplicated menus next gen?
and vr?! really you are starting this argument with me ?! I had oculus dk1 10 years ago. dk2, cv1, s, quest and so on. I was a biggest vr fan and then I realized it staled right around when it started with exception of alyx

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Have you tried Astro? It is pretty great. Why would someone have to be 11 to enjoy a video game?

Loope

I might be a bit too bitter sometimes, true. I had it enough with pc sometimes but I am not objective.
I didn't plan on doing so in this thread. my "welcome to hell" comment was meant to be sarcastic joke....
What confuses me about your posts is your general attitude. Maybe you have a lot of money, but why spend money on pcs if you dislike pretty much everything about it? I would do that to be honest, just scrap pc and play PS5.

And sorry, i had a RROD and never had similar problems on pc, does that mean they don't exist?

Obligatory

Pd: Congrats on your new pc :)

No way this is real. I actually watched the whole thing -- it was like a train wreck I couldn't look away from.

I've only ever built two PCs in my life (so I consider myself fairly noob-ish in the PC building arena) and even *I* know more than that dude from the Verge. Holy shit 😂 Also that cabling on the end product is the stuff from nightmares. Do people not care about air flow and aesthetics!?

OP, congrats on your new build!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What confuses me about your posts is your general attitude. Maybe you have a lot of money, but why spend money on pcs if you dislike pretty much everything about it? I would do that to be honest, just scrap pc and play PS5.

And sorry, i had a RROD and never had similar problems on pc, does that mean they don't exist?
I never said rrod problems dont exist. I have no idea where this stupid notion is coming from.
I don't use pc as often as I did few years ago. I maybe it's growing lack patience for it's bs. But when I do, I like to crank 4k120 rtx settings and enjoy the possibilities.
I have huge steam library too with about 600 games. I am too invested :p
It would be reasonable to have a bit cheaper pc in my case but I couldn't resist not getting highest end :p Especially for msrp prices. I was hunting for that 3080 for a whole week on it's release.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not if you undervolt it. It's one of the most underrated PC option there is, I guess because "nobody" knows about it. No fan ramping, no noise, save up to hundreds of Watts, still cool at all times
what?
So why not just get weaker pc if you are going to undervolt it

nemiroff

Gold Member
what?
So why not just get weaker pc if you are going to undervolt it
There's no "what?" here. If you have experience with undervolting I'd say that comment is disingenuous. If you're after a knee-jerk argument over the definition of the word "weaker" then I'm not the person for you, it's a waste of my time. I mean, basically the goal of doing undervolting is to save, let's say,~30-40% power draw by ~0-10% performance loss (numbers for illustration only..), which leads to other goals like reduction of noise and heat.

Last edited:

hlm666

Not if you undervolt it. It's one of the most underrated PC option there is, I guess because "nobody" knows about it. No fan ramping, no noise, save up to hundreds of Watts, still cool at all times
Don't even need to undervolt it a stock 3080 system isn't hitting 600 watts. You know that, I know that just ignore it.

can we please not turn this into PC vs console. they are all awesome.
What the fuck is this!? You want to... enjoy videogames? Instead of needlessly and endlessly bickering about it? You, sir, are a drunkard and a fool... You should change your username to "StenchDrunkard" 😂

All jokes aside, I'm excited for you, OP. I remember building my first PC around 2014 (with the help of a friend who's built a lot of them), and finally playing games on PC. I couldn't believe it, and beat myself over the head for not doing it before. Sorry if you already said it and I missed it, but what game are you planning to play first once you start playing on your glorious rig?

Cheers!

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Don't even need to undervolt it a stock 3080 system isn't hitting 600 watts. You know that, I know that just ignore it.

I know, I did ignore it. I just wanted to give a simple well-meant heads up on a cool option people are able to do with their rigs these days. Hell, you don't even need to do it in the BIOS anymore, but simply via apps like Afterburner and Ryzen Master, and it's even super-safe to test.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
It's literally the most fun part of owning a PC. It's certainly not hell.

All that guy does is post about how he's a PC gamer, downplays it with his buyer's remorse, and then hawks the merits of getting a PS5.

He literally rolls with senseless arguments like in the God of War PC thread, implying that console's are a better way to go, and it's justifiable to buy a PS5 (despite there being a shortage and scalpers prices) since it's better than buying a PC GPU (because with GPUs there's a shortage and scalper's prices.) Total fucking nonsense. Console warrior convert that owns PCs and hates himself for it or something.

Just look at this thread. Page 2 and it's a shit hole already.

Last edited:
All that guy does is post about how he's a PC gamer, downplays it with his buyer's remorse, and then hawks the merits of getting a PS5.

He literally rolls with senseless arguments like in the God of War PC thread, implying that console's are a better way to go, and it's justifiable to buy a PS5 (despite there being a shortage and scalpers prices) since it's better than buying a PC GPU (because with GPUs there's a shortage and scalper's prices.) Total fucking nonsense. Console warrior convert that owns PCs and hates himself for it or something.
Yup, I've noticed this too.

Just look at this thread. Page 2 and it's a shit hole already.
100% agree. Can this thread please go back to encouraging the OP, and being happy for him? Is that so hard to do?

PhaseJump

Banned
Play Demons Souls, Horizon, GT7 or Elden Ring.... or most other AAA releases on PS5..... usually plays better than PC.

All you're getting on a 3080 these days compared to a PS5 is a resolution bump and maybe another layer of AA.

But then you wont have the loading speeds, haptics, triggers and more streamlined experience of the console.

Plus a 3080 rig uses about 600 W at peak draw VS a PS5 at 206 W at peak...... so you can have 3 people playing high end games for just the same electricity usage as one inefficient gaming PC.

That is my take... I know PC has it's advantages with several stores, mods and the likes but I am just here to back up rofif rofif and lay out how PS5 is really excellent.

youre-not-that-important-q-star-trek.gif

The mods ought to send you back to hell, the next time you hijack PC build threads with this blatant console warrior horse shit.

Loope

I never said rrod problems dont exist. I have no idea where this stupid notion is coming from.
I don't use pc as often as I did few years ago. I maybe it's growing lack patience for it's bs. But when I do, I like to crank 4k120 rtx settings and enjoy the possibilities.
I have huge steam library too with about 600 games. I am too invested :p
It would be reasonable to have a bit cheaper pc in my case but I couldn't resist not getting highest end :p Especially for msrp prices. I was hunting for that 3080 for a whole week on it's release.
Yes, i can see that, but you always seem so bleak towards it, that's why it confused me. Especially because i always buy in the middle bracket.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There's no "what?" here. If you have experience with undervolting I'd say that comment is disingenuous. If you're after a knee-jerk argument over the definition of the word "weaker" then I'm not the person for you, it's a waste of my time. I mean, basically the goal of doing undervolting is to save, let's say,~30-40% power draw by ~0-10% performance loss (numbers for illustration only..), which leads to other goals like reduction of noise and heat.
I don't care about this

Saucy Papi

Bit of a stealth brag because I'm hyped but also a place I'd like to ask a question for the PC crowd, if that is ok?

I think I have it sussed with my case and cooler but I'm hoping that someone who has used multiple Corsair RGB controllers can chime in.

My case is the new 5000T and the cooler is the H150i ELITE LCD. The case has a commander controller which I will be running three LL120s from the front of the case and an extra rear exhaust LL120 fan I've purchased to add. The cooler has three ML 120s and its own controller with power for the LCD and two USB 2.0 cables and a splitter cable to turn the USB into 1 plug. Looking at my commander for the case it has a single USB in. I guess I will just use the extension to make the two USB headers from the pump into 1 and feed this into the cases controller, then run the main case controller USB 2.0 to my motherboard header and this will work? I think I have it sussed.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anyway, so stoked to get into this but I am seriously getting anxiety over the cable management due to my OCD. It looks crazy in the rear of this case already! :D

Build is as follows:

Case - Corsair 5000T
Intel i9 12900K
Corsair H150i Elite LCD - Roof mounted (Exhaust)
Asus Maximus hero Z690
Corsair Dominator 32GB 5600MHz DDR5 dual channel
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X from my current build
Seagate 1tb Firecuda 530 (System Drive)
WD Black SN850 2TB - (Game drive)
Intel 670P 1tb pci 3.0 (General purpose)
Corsair RM1000X - PRO PSU Cable Kit - Black braided cables.

Need to come up with a name......Maybe "SHADOW".

Wish me luck and please think of me for the first time I press the power button!
Let us know what your experience is as far as driver support goes. I've had a mixed experience with my full AMD build. It's certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination but I have some weird things like my Xbox controller disconnecting, stuttering at the beginning of some games (which doesn't happen other times), etc...

Lmao this thread should have been a wholesome thread about OP talking about building his PC.

It's sad to see platform wars is all this thread has been about for the entirety of two pages.

Anyway, are you guys done yet?

On Topic:
OP, hows the new rig coming along?

Bryank75

Banned
Lmao this thread should have been a wholesome thread about OP talking about building his PC.

It's sad to see platform wars is all this thread has been about for the entirety of two pages.

On Topic: OP, hows the new rig coming along?

Yeah, I saw I was mentioned and didn't read the title.... was terrible to comment negatively here.

I actually feel bad and apologize again to everyone in the thread!

What's the damage for all that hardware?

I did a quick and dirty check on Amazon, using the specs the OP laid out for his rig (I chose green colored font, since it contrasts nicely if you have the GAF Dark Mode; sorry to those of you with Light Mode, green may not be best). Prices in United States dollars:

Case - Corsair 5000T $400 (had to go to NewEgg, couldn't find it easily on Amazon)
Intel i9 12900K $600 (saw a 12900K for $613, and a 12900KF for $580, so I split the difference and rounded)
Corsair H150i Elite LCD - Roof mounted (Exhaust) $160
Asus Maximus hero Z690 $425
Corsair Dominator 32GB 5600MHz DDR5 dual channel $335
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X from my current build $950 (OP said he got it for £719, I converted it to US dollars)
Seagate 1tb Firecuda 530 (System Drive) $180
WD Black SN850 2TB - (Game drive) $250
Intel 670P 1tb pci 3.0 (General purpose) $90
Corsair RM1000X - PRO PSU Cable Kit - Black braided cables. $190
Estimated total: ~ $3,500 (roughly about £2,650 at the current conversion rates).

Again, this is all from a quick and dirty Amazon search. A couple of things to consider:
  • These are current retail prices (OP may have gotten some -- or all? -- of these parts on sale)
  • Those prices do reflect double-digit inflation rates year over year, here in the US, on top of electronics prices that were already inflated due to pandemic-caused supply chain issues, as well as electronics part shortages
Beast of a machine, should last the OP quite a while...

I have a 5000D case with a similar setup. My case came with a commander core in it, but I also had to install an additional one because I have a total of 6 case fans + 3 fans on the radiator and the included controller only had 6 spots to plug things in.

The AIO cooler should be plugged into your motherboard headers while the fans on your radiator go onto a PWM controller

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What the fuck is this!? You want to... enjoy videogames? Instead of needlessly and endlessly bickering about it? You, sir, are a drunkard and a fool... You should change your username to "StenchDrunkard" 😂

All jokes aside, I'm excited for you, OP. I remember building my first PC around 2014 (with the help of a friend who's built a lot of them), and finally playing games on PC. I couldn't believe it, and beat myself over the head for not doing it before. Sorry if you already said it and I missed it, but what game are you planning to play first once you start playing on your glorious rig?

Cheers!

haha, love the post. Thanks :D

ill be honest, I’ll be straight jumping into Elden ring but I also have dying light 2 that I am looking forward to getting into with the new build now it’s seen a few patches.

super excited.

On Topic: OP, hows the new rig coming along?

Rig is coming along great, I’ve worked with my team mate who is a professional pc builder and works with me you will not believe the work he has done on the cable management. I would love to be able to say I was that good ( I’m pretty good) but he is on a whole other level. Will share pics over the weekend It will blow your mind.

done a quick 10 minute bit test and everything seems to be working well,, so going to install windows 11 now and get this puppy purring.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dang, I need that corsair cable kit. I have rmx750.
Which cable kit is that ?
That cooling is sick and makes me want to abandon my dark rock pro 4 air cooling.
DenchDeckard DenchDeckard again, great pc dude !
It’s the type 4 Corsair individually sleeved cable kit pro. You can get them in all sorts of colours, but I went straight black.

Top Bottom