• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google to Salvage its Stadia

MayauMiao

Predictable death. The brains behind Stadia must have thought every gamer have gigabit connection, earn Google salary and stayed in Google campus.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The biggest winner in all of this is Shannon from Sony santa Monica studios taking that payday knowing it was going down in flames

MaulerX

It needed a streaming library for a flat fee like Netflix or Gamepass. Paying FULL price for each game for only streaming is stupid.

This is exactly what doomed it from the start.

Also people saying that the tech is great, how you can stream in 4K and with low latency... Yes I will not disagree but we have to consider that relatively speaking hardly anyone uses Syadia. The system was never really taxed. We don't know how it would've performed under max load scenarios. I guess we'll never know.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ok, who bought this?
probably sony for 10bil
dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

Ozriel

M$FT
"We" clearly didn't.

Some of us like you and I, who were sensibly minded, knew it was going to fail.

Many even here on GAF insisted Stadia and game streaming would kill consoles and be "TEH FUTURZ!!!"

Your celebrations are premature. Game streaming is still going strong with GeForce Now and Xcloud.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Your celebrations are premature. Game streaming is still going strong with GeForce Now and Xcloud.
Strong is a bold word. I'm sure plenty of people have tried streaming but I doubt it goes beyond that for most. Downloads are the future and present. Streaming is a small component that the vast majority will never use.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Ah yes, another thread about the gaming service no one cares about.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ah yes, another thread about the gaming service no one cares about.
Oh we care, we just don't care for its potential to quickly take over (and by Google no less..) the way games are delivered and curated as we know it. It's a service that trades quality for a perceived convenience and in a worst case scenario it could undermine how we play games for decades to come.

Last edited:
Remember when people used to think Google could be a threat? Lol nothings changed. People say the same thing about amazon, Netflix etc.. It's like boogeyman at this point . This threat doesn't exist.

Define "going strong"... i.e. how many active users and total revenue generated for each service?

Those services aren't doing much better than PS Now, i.e. positively pales in comparison to the traditional local gaming industry.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Define "going strong"... i.e. how many active users and total revenue generated for each service?

Those services aren't doing much better than PS Now, i.e. positively pales in comparison to the traditional local gaming industry.

Of course it’s not going to supplant traditional native gaming in one day. Heck, even the shift to digital has taken over a decade to happen.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Of course it’s not going to supplant traditional native gaming in one day. Heck, even the shift to digital has taken over a decade to happen.
The only reason the shift to digital happened is because games had to be installed anyway.

Look at switch. Games run off the media, and most people buy physical.

The point is it's NEVER going to supplant traditional gaming. At least the digital shift proceeded a clear trend, even if it was gradual. Streaming has been met with failure after failure after failure. There is no clear trend towards an all streaming future.

Fundamentally, gamers don't want that.

Top Bottom