• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google to Salvage its Stadia

Draugoth

Gold Member
FKxKmArWYAMwo8c

According to Business Insider, Google is planning to salvage its Stadia technology and is currently shopping it around under the name Google Stream Insiders claim that the actual consumer platform Stadia has been deprioritized

Swift_Star

Banned
FKxKmArWYAMwo8c

According to Business Insider, Google is planning to salvage its Stadia technology and is currently shopping it around under the name Google Stream Insiders claim that the actual consumer platform Stadia has been deprioritized
Poor souls that invested on this.

VAVA Mk2

So what does this mean? Are they going to buy devs/publishers or actually try and open their own internal studios again? There is not enough content and no exclusives to use it. A friend gave me a Stadia controller for Christmas because they know I like Pixel but I literally have nothing I want to play on Stadia or get a Pro pass for. Happy with XGP.

The shame is that the actual streaming tech is the best there is. But, they have no idea what they're doing to market it to gamers.

Asking people to pay full price to stream games, with no option to play games natively, is ridiculous. Adding a monthly fee to play the games at the best resolution is worse.

Then, they close their studios, ensuring the platform won't have a single game that you can't play elsewhere.

Belthazar

So what does this mean? Are they going to buy devs/publishers or actually try and open their own internal studios again? There is not enough content and no exclusives to use it. A friend gave me a Stadia controller for Christmas because they know I like Pixel but I literally have nothing I want to play on Stadia or get a Pro pass for. Happy with XGP.

From what I'm understanding they're shopping the technology around as Google Stream to be used by other companies

The shame is that the actual streaming tech is the best there is. But, they have no idea what they're doing to market it to gamers.

Asking people to pay full price to stream games, with no option to play games natively, is ridiculous. Adding a monthly fee to play the games at the best resolution is worse.

Then, they close their studios, ensuring the platform won't have a single game that you can't play elsewhere.
Yeah, Stadia was the only one offering 4K streaming. And it worked well if you had broadband. I've been playing with it and don't understand the complaints. Just a failure of marketing I suppose.

Buggy Loop

Why aren’t they trying a new model? Since the beginning, everyone assumed it would be a Netflix for games, not a « buy the game on the store and you only access it from there ».

Otherwise geforce now makes more sense that at least you own the games on Steam at the end of the day if you want to play on dedicated hardware. Something like Xcloud + gamepass makes much more sense for the streaming crowd, just sucks that xcloud has a bit of work to be done on it for streaming quality.

tmlDan

Bungie as well? why wouldn't they just use Sony's tech. I guess this might have been prior to acquisition.

I got it for free with my youtube premium. I just used it to play their exclusive Immortals Fenyx Rising demo. It actually worked pretty damn well for me. It still made no sense to pay full price to stream games. I think they should use the tech to sell devs the ability for people to play their demo's straight from youtube trailers like they mentioned before.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Well, as usual with Google:

Not the first, not the last.

Last edited:

Bridges

All I care about is what happens to Typhoon Studios after all this. Are they working on a Stadia exclusive or are they doomed to sink with the ship. And what of that Harmonix game they apparently are paying for, are they even still doing that after the Epic acquisition?

Can't believe how terribly they've handled all of this.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I do hope that problems of latency can be improved on in the future (I saw that as one of the biggest functional problems with things like stadia), but that would probably require ISPs to invest a lot in it. I say fat chance there 😄. But even then, I just like owning my games as I often play singleplayer anyway. I would hate being captive to the internet for every game I own. That's why I think companies that implement OPTIONAL cloud gaming will do better.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What!? Thats absurd. How could they put so much time and money into....

Writing was on the fucking wall from day 1.

FKxKmArWYAMwo8c

Do you guys actually subscribe to all these news sites? If not how can you read the paywalled articles.

reinking

Gold Member
Watch Sony will buy the tech to expand on its cloud infrastructure.
Sony already did this when they bought Onlive before Game Pass was even a thing. If it can help them improve their infrastructure they probably should. MS might buy it to kill it.

But Phil was supposed to buy more publishers to protect us from bogeyman Google? While they are actually getting out of the gaming business. Phil pulled the biggest con with Nadella 🤡

Cloud gaming will never happen. No one cares.

It's a funny assumption people make about big companies like EVERYONE has to want in on games.

Google already said they were done with 1st party games on stadia and that they'd only do 3rd party. Getting out of gaming makes sense for them. It's a tough market. Microsoft doubled down big time with Activision, but they will almost certainly never get the return on their investment. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft's future appetite for acquisitions will be and how much the FTC will let them purchase after Activision.

Sony's focus on the west right now is smart, buy as many western studios as you can. FTC can't stop them from buying Japanese studios. Though it can stop Microsoft.

Kilau

This is why MS has bought nearly all western publishing. No free ride for Google or Amazon and Google clearly doesn’t have the desire to build studios.

Aenima

An expected outcome. Lots of ppl called it the moment Stadia was revealed. The idea on paper was great, using youtube as a laucher of the game and all that. But they never executed the best ideas. They also needed a subscription service like netflix not paying full price just to stream a game.

DaGwaphics

I think they see a future where more publishers will develop standalone streaming skus (control on Switch, type deals) that can be accessed on a potato. Google wants to be the unseen middleman providing that tech to these companies as needed. There will be a lot of competition in that space as time goes on, I'm sure MS will jump into the backend game along with Nvidia and Amazon.

M16

When Microsoft announced in 2020 that it would acquire the "Elder Scrolls" studio Bethesda, it "scared the crap out of Google executives," a former employee close to those conversations said. After Stadia shuttered its in-house games division, insiders said any appetite among Google executives to own any studios completely went away. It also had trouble luring studios to develop for the platform;

y'all can thank Microsoft. activision was the final blow.

Last edited:
y'all can thank Microsoft. activision was the final blow.
There is merit to this.

Google said they aren't paying 70 billion to compete in gaming. The opportunity costs make no sense for them to do this when they can spend that money on things that will give better returns for them.

Fredrik

It’s such a shame they didn’t go all the way. For me it had the best streaming quality, least frame drops, most functional user experience. But the worst games library… Steam on Stadia without the login crap would’ve been awesome.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Phil directly named Google after buying Acti (and Bethesda too, see post above)? He said the tech giant were a threat to gaming and that's how he got a blank check from Nadella.

It is 100% on topic. Don't try your usual bait.
Everything in gaming is loosely associated in some way, doesn’t make it on topic. Talking about bait when your post was nothing but an attempt to derail 🤡

Top Bottom