• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia roadmap... of death?

A.Romero

Yeah I have not once had a problem with the image quality on Stadia. But it doesn’t matter, for me Google essentially pulled the plug on the service when they closed their own Studios. I cancelled my day 1 sub the same day.

Now I’m using Geforce Now instead through a Shield with controller and is currently enjoying Control maxed out with raytracing in the living room without noisy fans and low console settings. It’s great. 👍

I've only tried GeForce Now. How does it compare to Stadia?

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Stadia: Simple, faster loadings, no queue.
GFN: Better graphics, Steam/EGS Library, more settings.

The input lag depends of your locations, i think. (Had similar good results for both)

Fat Frog

Anyone tried that Immortals: Fenyx Rising demo in stadia?

I have to say, i was fairly impressed with the snappiness of stadia there. I'm not a pretty mediocre internet connection & wifi, yet it felt absolutely responsive.

Image quality, on the other hand, was a bit of a disaster for me. Game looked like it was rendered at 480p and then upscaled and blurred. It's a little hard to say if that is down to the game itself, to stadia, or my particular connection though, I wonder what everyone else's experience is?
The 480p render is with the old plugin, i had the same crappy image.(we can download another plugin for a better image but i didn't since i received my CCU and the IQ was day and night)

Even on 4K don't expect a Series X IQ but it's quite honest and the bitrate will improve through time with yearly new codecs.

Stadia, Luna, GFN, they all have good results and they'll all improve sooner or later.

Fredrik

Stadia have better stream quality, resolution and UI. Otherwise they’re about the same except that you can play maxed out PC versions on GeForce Now with raytracing.

There is some jank on GFN that Stadia don’t have. If you play on Shield and have 2 factors authentication there is no smooth way to do it, I’m using the Shield app on my phone as a touch pad to login, it works but the user experience is not good. Stadia’s UI on the other hand is superb.

But once the games are up and running both services are pretty awesome, best improvement on GFN over Stadia is that it’s 60fps on everything. And everybody is scared about latency but it’s not a problem imo. On GFN I have 15ms ping to servers up here in Sweden, on Control at 60fps I’m guessing the latency is about the same as local 30fps console versions. Don’t know the ping to Stadia servers but I had zero latency issues.

Edit: missed that you had GFN, rephrasing some answers

Last edited:

hroerekr

Yeah I have not once had a problem with the image quality on Stadia. But it doesn’t matter, for me Google essentially pulled the plug on the service when they closed their own Studios. I cancelled my day 1 sub the same day.

Now I’m using Geforce Now instead through a Shield with controller and is currently enjoying Control maxed out with raytracing in the living room without noisy fans and low console settings. It’s great. 👍

Image is not bad, but I definitely prefer the raw uncompressed image from a local machine.
But the same can be said between 4k Bluray discs and 4k Streaming. The bitrate difference is notable, but the general consumer either doesn't note or doesn't care and will always prefer the easiest and less expensive option.

Google needs to make it that: easy and cheap. That's how Netflix got their ground.

Also the issue is streaming. This will be a problem with E-Sport. Streaming will not be the future.

Being in the future doesn't mean the other options will vanish. E-Sports can still run local machines.

Fredrik

Google needs to make it that: easy and cheap. That's how Netflix got their ground.

Being in the future doesn't mean the other options will vanish. E-Sports can still run local machines.
Yeah, personally I really couldn’t care less about input latency and compression artifacts, at my place it looks and feels good enough and that’s all that matters for me. Listening to streaming haters, unless it’s about server location and datacaps, is like listening to audiophiles talking about bit resolution or directional cables. I just don’t care.

But Google lost me, I was hoping for more studios, upgraded hardware and all Pro games since launch for everyone when subbing. And they closed their studio, didn’t upgrade the hardware and is still doing the sub-to-build-your-library thing I already hate from PS+ and XBL.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

YdH_a9.gif
I have genuinely more interest in this gif then stadia.

They don't own physically bought games either. They own the medium it is stored on. Not the game. That is the same license as when you buy digitally.
And only YOU control this physical medium, that's the HUGE difference.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

24 - Arriba(?)
30, june, 2022
Stadia is coming to Mexico, making 23 countries in total. Is the internet good enough to play on cloud there? No.
After the pain (Stadia is almost 3 years old 😘😎), the denial phase 😁.

Dude, are you living in the twilight Zone ?

The average internet speed in Mexico is 25 mbps which is enough for Xcloud, Stadia, GFN. (keep in mind most of them play on crappy smartphones, Stadia's graphics will be amazing for many of them... except maybe the middle-upper class)

There are 130 millions mexicans...
Even if only 10% of them could play cloud services(spoiler, it's far more) , it would be a potential market of 13 millions.

Plus, Sony helped cloud services by increasing prices of the ps5 😁

CuNi

After the pain (Stadia is almost 3 years old 😘😎), the denial phase 😁.

Dude, are you living in the twilight Zone ?

The average internet speed in Mexico is 25 mbps which is enough for Xcloud, Stadia, GFN. (keep in mind most of them play on crappy smartphones, Stadia's graphics will be amazing for many of them... except maybe the middle-upper class)

There are 130 millions mexicans...
Even if only 10% of them could play cloud services(spoiler, it's far more) , it would be a potential market of 13 millions.

Plus, Sony helped cloud services by increasing prices of the ps5 😁

I think all the other countries it launched in all together have well over 130m citizens and yet they still have barely anyone playing.

10% is wishful thinking. More like 0.1%, and that's already a very optimistically high number, I might have to add yet another 0

Edit: misread the 10% as being Stadia users.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I think all the other countries it launched in all together have well over 130m citizens and yet they still have barely anyone playing.
Current Stadia's offer isn't a great deal for western countries ATM: No exclusive, datacap in the US...

It's the opposite for LATAM: No datacap, low salaries, expensive consoles and internet ready for cloud at 1080p.(probably 2024-2025 for mainstream 4K... but is it mandatory ? how many 4K TVs in Mexico? Mexicans play on mobile, Fifa 23 next gen and Cyberpunk at 1080 will be enough for them...)

Lunarorbit

Why do you guys keep bumping old threads? Is there really nothing else going on?
Op edited the original post, maybe? But you're right a lot of necrobumps lately. It's probably related to the similar threads list at the bottom of each page

Skifi28

Why do you guys keep bumping old threads? Is there really nothing else going on?
Gotta have my weekly dose about Stadia being dead. And because it really is, no new threads are being made so we have to bump the dead ones.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

A message about Stadia and our long term streaming strategy​

Phil Harrison
Vice President and General Manager, Stadia

For many years, Google has invested across multiple aspects of the gaming industry. We help developers build and distribute gaming apps on Google Play and Google Play Games. Gaming creators are reaching audiences around the world on YouTube through videos, live streaming and Shorts. And our cloud streaming technology delivers immersive gameplay at massive scale.
A few years ago, we also launched a consumer gaming service, Stadia. And while Stadia's approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn't gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023. We have more details for players on this process on our Help Center.

The underlying technology platform that powers Stadia has been proven at scale and transcends gaming. We see clear opportunities to apply this technology across other parts of Google like YouTube, Google Play, and our Augmented Reality (AR) efforts — as well as make it available to our industry partners, which aligns with where we see the future of gaming headed. We remain deeply committed to gaming, and we will continue to invest in new tools, technologies and platforms that power the success of developers, industry partners, cloud customers and creators.

For the Stadia team, building and supporting Stadia from the ground up has been fueled by the same passion for games that our players have. Many of the Stadia team members will be carrying this work forward in other parts of the company. We’re so grateful for the groundbreaking work of the team and we look forward to continuing to have an impact across gaming and other industries using the foundational Stadia streaming technology.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A little update about the end... Management was so bad that developers inside were making agreements with third parties and even then didn't know this

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
A little update about the end... Management was so bad that developers inside were making agreements with third parties and even then didn't know this

What game dev would ever want to work with them again without at least a significant upfront payment.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
What game dev would ever want to work with them again without at least a significant upfront payment.
In theory, publishers pays before the real development starts. Still, Google threw away their first party dev out the window in the first year. They made the wrong choices, put their money in the wrong places, listened the wrong people... It was a shit show from the start, and it was all Google's fault

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The idea was nice, execution was poor and arrogant

I don't think the idea was nice at all. Neat maybe, but definitely not nice. Streaming to me is all about taking away people's rights to actually own stuff and use it however they want and for however long they want. Not nice.

small_law

Stadia's failure says more about Google in 2022 than anything else. Great underlying technology, good concept, completely half-assed execution. If Google wasn't willing to commit fully to making Stadia successful, why enter the market at all? If it was going to take hundreds of millions of dollars of losses over the first few years of the service to structure it the way it needed to be positioned, then that had to be the commitment. They weren't willing to do it.

Like I said, the real story here is the state of Google. It's more risk-averse, less willing to commit to its endeavors, and less innovative than it ever has been.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I don't think the idea was nice at all. Neat maybe, but definitely not nice. Streaming to me is all about taking away people's rights to actually own stuff and use it however they want and for however long they want. Not nice.
As a alternative is nice. I take for GamePass, sometimes I download stuff, sometimes just XCloud. I want to play a quick and simples game, and I just start the thing and for no bigger expenses. Stadia didn't really care for that, and said "why we will charge different?" from the full price... They could be the Netfllix of gaming and they choose something that nobody wanted

RoadHazard

Gold Member
As a alternative is nice. I take for GamePass, sometimes I download stuff, sometimes just XCloud. I want to play a quick and simples game, and I just start the thing and for no bigger expenses. Stadia didn't really care for that, and said "why we will charge different?" from the full price... They could be the Netfllix of gaming and they choose something that nobody wanted

Sure, as part of a subscription I'm fine with it. But not the way Google tried to do it.

Top Bottom