• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia review thread

Silent Duck

This year the Grinch has a new nefarious plan to ruin Christmas.

giphy.gif

Ryu Kaiba

The internet may or may not be ready for Stadia or Xcloud yet but I don't think technology should stop for that reason.
If we want the ISP's to improve their infrastructure we need to give them a lot of reasons to.
I think that's what that guy at the head of Stadia was trying to say with a much dumber choice of words.

Barnabot

Who likes to beat a dead horse?

(I do only if the name of the horse is Stadia.)

oXbZFWb.png

Apparently you can't play your Stadia games if you've purchased them at a discount in case your subscrption had expired.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

oXbZFWb.png

Apparently you can't play your Stadia games if you've purchased them at a discount in case your subscrption had expired.

And reading through the translation it seems very clear that is the case. No language barrier that I see.
You only keep full priced games.
I'm guessing they don't want people signing up for a month, getting the discount on their amazing "sales" and then quitting the sub after.
Saluto! and F-U Ooo!
------------
Edit - Just checked Reddit and Google is walking back that tweet and saying you own any game you paid for.

Last edited:

Barnabot

And reading through the translation it seems very clear that is the case. No language barrier that I see.
You only keep full priced games.
I'm guessing they don't want people signing up for a month, getting the discount on their amazing "sales" and then quitting the sub after.
Saluto! and F-U Ooo!
------------
Edit - Just checked Reddit and Google is walking back that tweet and saying you own any game you paid for.

Internet just can't leave Google alone.

N0DpEtu.png

oXbZFWb.png

This has already been debunked. The free games won’t be available, but purchased ones will. Supposedly the Stadia social media person that responded to this has been fired as well. Still shows how fucked up this whole launch has been - apparently they have not had great communication/training leading up to this launch for misinformation like that to come from an official source.

MacReady13

How easy is that to set up?!? No issues whatsoever! That makes gaming MUCH easier. Fuck the "simplicity" of turning my console on via my controller, either inserting the disc or playing a game straight off my hard drive and starting straight away... No, Stadia is FAR easier and less complicated to use. Screw my wife and kids wanting to use the internet for anything, so long as I get that Destiny 2 session out of the way 1st on my Stadia, they can all get stuffed.

KouNaN

Neo Member
I only have a Full HD Tv's and monitor and I also preffer singleplayer games. so Stadia could be good for me, or?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If you’re hard wired to your router and have a 300mb net connection with unlimited data then its very impressive tech imo. Being able to play 4k games or 30fps console games like RDR2 with a 60fps target is wild.

Saying that it’s not something I would buy or use even if it were a free service.

Hopefully it continues to improve for those interested in it as their main gaming platform. It’s a good foundation with the latency limitations we currently have.

Last edited:
I was reading the Stadia Reddit, and apparently they were told they would get early access codes to set up accounts and pick a unique username and Google just didn't follow through.

So even the few people who actually do care are pissed off. Before I said I'd give this 3 years, but now I'm more like 18 months.
Google as a whole, is used to never actually communicating with its customers. Both Google and Youtube have no clear ways of contacting a person about grievances. Thus I am suspecting that Google likely never had much of a customer service department.

Google never had to seriously deal with customer complaints, as such they behave badly when they suddenly need to do customer service with no one trained to do it.

Vawn

Banned
That sounds like the worst launch of a game platform ever. First impressions matter a lot, just ask MS (the first reveal of the xb1).

I don't know I'd go that far. Sega Saturn, for one was pretty bad.

I don't really consider Stadia as being launched until the free version comes out. This really seems like a paid beta - which is pretty lame in and of itself.

I don't know I'd go that far. Sega Saturn, for one was pretty bad.

I don't really consider Stadia as being launched until the free version comes out. This really seems like a paid beta - which is pretty lame in and of itself.
Usually with paid Betas, you hand out free swag and essentially try to butter up the early adopter to build good world of mouth. But it seems Google is doing none of that.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I was never a believer in streaming, but how has Stadia's disastrous launch affected the True Believers in streaming?
I was definitely a hopeful believer.

Stadia launch was a punch in the gut. Still interested but Google (MS, Sony etc) have a long way to go for me to jump in.

EekTheKat

IMHO, the exact moment all hope for Stadia was lost :

https://arstechnica.com/information...ed-about-data-caps-but-he-probably-should-be/

From Phil Harrison :

"ISPs are smart [and] they understand that they're in the business of keeping customers happy and keeping customers with them for a long time," Harrison said.

Many people still live in areas where ISPs are literally monopolies, and as such those ISP's are not motivated much more beyond keeping the lights on and not care about how dim the light is or how much it flickers at prime time.

---

One key missing piece will always be the internet middlemen that connects the various ISP's and datacenters together. Until Google/Microsoft/Sony throws a ton of money at them to prioritize their traffic Game Streaming will always be at their mercy.

You can have the best networking/wifi equipment at your house, Google can have the best datacenter in the world at their end - none of that matters if the packets leaving your house doesn't reach Google's datacenter in a reasonable amount of time without getting lost. This is probably why people with gigabit lines are seeing poor performance.

If I had a choice between a game that has a constant 180ms latency locally vs a streamed solution that can deliver anywhere between 150ms (faster than local!) to 200ms I would take the 180ms local gameplay every single time. Consistent latency at least allows me to adapt to it over time.

While Game streaming is advertised as play anywhere anytime at a press of a button - the reality it brings in another layer of complexity in terms of network setup, ISP/technical issues/trouble tickets, and additional costs that are hidden in these extra layers that now stand between you and that game you want to play. Those "shifted" costs can easily add up over time to something that costs far more than just $499 for a console and $60 for a game (

Last edited:

Ethereals

Neo Member
... seems like a decade or soo too soon...just for streaming...
it feels weird that we got our first steps into VR but ...streaming nope thats too hard lol

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
This is really all I needed to know. Google did not in fact manage to beat the laws of reality, and are running with a subscription model that is plain old lunacy.

I agree, Xcloud is facing exactly the same challenges that Stadia and PSNow have faced. Let see what the critics say about that.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will hold nothing back when I say that I hope that this POS fails and fails hard.

It is an absolute joke how poorly this had launched and I have yet to read anything good about it in terms of latency.

Stadia could have been something if google formed a partnership with services like Steam, Origin, GOG, etc and allow you to play your games anywhere. I can see possibly paying $9.99 a month as reasonable. Although, the only time I'd likely ever use it would be on travelling, which I pretty much never do since I am a teacher.

Fuck you Stadia.

RAL1992

Just had an invite come through for project xcloud, which works great for what it is and will only improve through public testing, I'm just glad I didnt jump onto this mess of a launch, the tech is definitely something I look forward to in the future, especially with a newborn and time restrictions, just feel sorry for the people that plumbed the money for the founders edt.

ANIMAL1975

So there it is, the streaming services upscale techniques begun have
You do realize you will see every game in 4k as your output right?
Stadia streams at 4K and 60 FPS – and that includes all aspects of our graphics pipeline from game to screen: GPU, encoder and Chromecast Ultra all outputting at 4k to 4k TVs, with the appropriate internet connection.

Like you see on all platforms, this includes a variety of techniques to achieve the best overall quality

And people pay for the premium 'output in 4k' option....

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Stadia streams at 4K and 60 FPS – and that includes all aspects of our graphics pipeline from game to screen: GPU, encoder and Chromecast Ultra all outputting at 4k to 4k TVs, with the appropriate internet connection.

So then why is it that RDR2 for example looks like ass on Stadia compared to PC & X1X?

Wow. In Sweden, Stadia's had quite positive reviews actually. Granted, there is no such thing as data caps here and pretty much everyone has very fast and stable connections.. But.. Seriously?

One reviewer even stated "Make no mistake, it's only a matter of time before Google kills all other consoles"

Ehhh yeah, about that... 😂

iHaunter

Out of all of the glaringly obvious problems with Stadia, I want to know one thing:

Who, as a gamer, is so desperate to play games that they are whipping out a Pixel phone during the day, to play a laggy game of destiny 2 using touch screen controls?

From what I can tell, Stadia isn't aimed at the ouya/Onlive crowd, but at the ex-Wii owners.

The problem is that it doesn't cater to ANY crowd.... It's cheaper long term to own a console. Hardcore gamers won't play with such severe lag. Parents don't know what the hell this is in the first place. This is literally for no one.

VertigoOA

Banned
Supposedly these are some Destiny 2 player count numbers for Sunday from Warmind.io but I can’t seem to find those stats myself.

Destiny tracker:
Total
Tracked Players 17.0M
Yesterday
Crucible Players 1.0M
Yesterday
PvE Players 1.3M
NOW
PC Online 89,586

Charlemagne:
PlayStation 4: 454,000
PC: 494,000
Xbox: 331,000
Stadia: 19,400

D2 doing 1.3 million players a day at the end of the season is impressive. I expected a bigger drop off because the game is currently NOT designed for casual players to stick around for endgame; it’s more about having a group or to lfg more than ever IMO.

The Xbox numbers are surprising as well, considering how many more ps4s are out there. Well, not surprising ... because it’s Bungie and they never lost their spot once Halo died.

Stadia founders packs are still rolling out with their staggered release and numbers did double from the more abysmal 10k players on launch day.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Wuat
t3_e285ic

So then why is it that RDR2 for example looks like ass on Stadia compared to PC & X1X?
Because it's first being upscaled, like DF find out, native resolution it's not 4k. Lol!
If you read the article i quoted, that's Google oficial response to the facts brought out by the author about Red Dead and Destiny not being 4k.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Reading and hearing allot more about next-gen, the more I realise streaming tech is going to look even worse very soon.

Top Bottom